Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 23:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Use Tinted Glasses? Lose Insurance Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I noted on a few recent visits outside the country that there are quite a number of cars in South East Asia, Gulf Region and even Australia which have darker tinted films on their windows. Sunny and Hot climates do require such measures.

I think that our fellows have "lost it" issuing idiotic Diktats after Diktats like this.
Why dont they focus on good governance, removal of corruption, speeding up the justice process and clearing the backlog of cases etc instead of fiddling about with foolish ideas like these...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Its a very smart move, but for a very stupid reason.

I too would be applauding this if it was to the tune of "We wont honour your insurance claim if..."
  • You weren't wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident
  • Your tyres were below the minimum allowed tread depth
  • Headlights/brakelights in non-working condition
  • Wipers missing (monsoon months)
  • etc

I think the zero-tolerance ban on sun-film is stupid. The earlier regulation of allowing only upto a certain amount of darkness of the films was fine.

There's a thousand better ways to improve (road) safety in this country than ban sunfilm.

cya
R
Hi Guys,

I agree totally with the above two comments and refuse to remove my film as it is (was) RTO approved (lightest shade possible) when I fitted it. However, if I buy a new car then I will not fit any film on it.
I do however agree that dark films should be removed as the reduction of visibility could lead to an accident especially at night.

Rgds,
SS
Old 29th April 2013, 00:42   #47
BHPian

I hope its just for the normal people as usual. The rich and celebrity classes will be completely avoided.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I hope the govt mandates the car companies in providing good heat rejecting glass with vehicles. (Almost no UV and half or more or infra red radiation like the sun films do). This will stop any tinting after and will be suitable for our country.
+100. I guess this will lead to measurable fuel savings too . But I guess the sun film industry will not be happy !
Old 29th April 2013, 18:12   #49
BHPian

Gentlemen I am one of those who follows the law even if i dont believe in the reasoning behind it. So for this reason i dutifully removed the sunfilms on my car. However my question is how can insurance be denied.

When someone buys insurance he buys peace of mind knowing that if something untoward was to happen insurance guys will take care of it. So what if the car had sunfilm. Same as jumping signal, driving rashly, over-speeding, overtaking from left, driving at high beams, honking in no honking or any other millions of offense that gets committed in a day. Reason could be ignorance, or attitude not to change. But how can one be denied insurance. If the offense is grave sue the person, and accordingly put appropriate penalty but insurance once bought must be honored

What if a car with sunfilm knocks down a pedestrian on road. Forget about the car, the driver, what is the fault of the pedestrian. Will he also not be eligible for third party claim?
Old 29th April 2013, 18:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Given our cavalier attitude about the law, I must be the odd one out who applauds this!
I wouldn't applaud this. No, not one bit. Why? Because the damn government is just creating a loophole for the insurance companies to deny claim. I would have applauded this if they denied insurance in the first place, for vehicles having sun films. that would have been a step in the right direction. Now, nothing is checked or validated upfront because it's the insurance company that's getting the money, but if a claim arises they they start talking bull crap. This is not fair.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 19:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Given our cavalier attitude about the law, I must be the odd one out who applauds this!
Some people do not realize that in New Delhi it took police fines and bribes to implement the Seat-belt Law and another round of police fines and bribes to implement the Helmet Law. It was not a happy period of transition for anyone.

I would prefer this way of implementing a law over a cop jumping out of the bushes any day. And if one does their homework well, reads the fine print before signing the insurance form and follows all the terms and conditions properly then it should not be difficult to get an insurance claim.

And just to give a personal opinion, my father has never installed sun films on any of the cars he owned. And if he had to park at home or at his office he would prefer to park under the shade of the trees which he himself planted and took care of.
Old 29th April 2013, 21:36   #52
BHPian

Hi everybody.
The thread "Use tinted glasses? Lose insurance cover."
My car's premium is due on 26th may and before handing over the cheque over I checked with the insurance co (New India) They have received no circular to this effect.
A clarification requested from members here. Mine is a Beat LT with the original tinted glasses. No sun film. Do I need to be worried on this count? Maybe I will be driving out of Maharashtra state next month.
Somebody please guide.
Thanks and regards
Old 29th April 2013, 21:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
A clarification requested from members here. Mine is a Beat LT with the original tinted glasses. No sun film. Do I need to be worried on this count? Maybe I will be driving out of Maharashtra state next month.
Somebody please guide.
Not to be worried as of now. To be matter of fact, we are counting the chicken before the egg has hatched. As per the first post and the quoted news, that it is just a proposal from the GOI, and has not yet been made to effect in my knowledge.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 14:34   #54
BHPian

Seems like they want you to use public transport, or use private vehicles a whole lot less.

I was fined a couple of weeks ago for the first time, planning to remove the film soon.. not happy about it, but hey we can always do the retractable sun block curtains.
Old 30th April 2013, 15:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
...They have received no circular to this effect.
A clarification requested from members here. Mine is a Beat LT with the original tinted glasses. No sun film. Do I need to be worried on this count? ...
Since there is no sun-film, and only factory-fitted tinted glasses, I dont think you need to worry about it at all (even if this becomes a law).
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
What if a car with sunfilm knocks down a pedestrian on road. Forget about the car, the driver, what is the fault of the pedestrian. Will he also not be eligible for third party claim?
The pedestrian would have to be paid, only it will come out of your pocket since the Insurance company will reject your claim for 3rd party. In effect, it means that though your car is 'comprehensively' insured, it is still not insured and you the owner has to foot the bill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks