Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 07:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Depreciation for Intercooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If its within your left fender I wouldn't believe what your SA says. There should be only two sets of wires there at most - one for the indicator on the left fender and the other(not sure) for the LH fog lamp. The wiring kit for these two sure as hell can't cost 40,000 bucks. It should be having connectors - just plug and play. Go to the workshop and ask him to show you the cut wires. Wires don't get damaged in such minor dents unless someone is doing it on purpose. Is the dealer a certain 'POPULAR' one?

From the pic you would need to replace the bonnet, LH fender and LH headlamp along with the front bumper. Where does the intercooler sit on the i20? Is it on the same line parallel to the radiator or ahead or behind it ? I'm asking because its surprising that he hasn't mentioned any radiator damage but says wiring has been cut.

Well, wires have been cut. A whole bunch of about 8-10 wires which has been tagged together have been cut. In fact I had put insulation tapes on them before taking to service centre for fear of getting short and starting a fire. My only worry was why they need to replace the whole kit. However, I have confirmed the same from one acquaintance who was once a senior supervisor at ASC and have now put up his own shop. He says that lately hyundai sends only the wiring kit as a whole which has all the wires, fuses, connectore etc. He was also mentioning about the tremendous labour involved. Need to remove the dash, seats et all to do a complete rewiring. The kit pricing is 34900 + 14.5 % tax ie ~40k/-

The radiator is intact. However, a plastic protective covering of the radiator is broken. I am visiting the shop today o have a closer look at the inter-cooler. Lets see how the demonstrate the damage.

And yes, the ASC is the "popluar" one

Last edited by nettooran : 13th May 2013 at 07:22.
Old 13th May 2013, 08:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Well, wires have been cut. A whole bunch of about 8-10 wires which has been tagged together have been cut. In fact I had put insulation tapes on them before taking to service centre for fear of getting short and starting a fire. My only worry was why they need to replace the whole kit. However, I have confirmed the same from one acquaintance who was once a senior supervisor at ASC and have now put up his own shop. He says that lately hyundai sends only the wiring kit as a whole which has all the wires, fuses, connectore etc. He was also mentioning about the tremendous labour involved. Need to remove the dash, seats et all to do a complete rewiring. The kit pricing is 34900 + 14.5 % tax ie ~40k/-

The radiator is intact. However, a plastic protective covering of the radiator is broken. I am visiting the shop today o have a closer look at the inter-cooler. Lets see how the demonstrate the damage.

And yes, the ASC is the "popluar" one
Nettooran, if you say only 8-10 wires are cut then how about repairing that section of cut wires? Solder and heatshrink (double heatshrink if you want) each cut wire and once all cut wires have been joined wrap up the section in 3M Scotch insulating tape. It will be as reliable as new. Think about this before spending 40K on wiring and the labour involved.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nettooran, if you say only 8-10 wires are cut then how about repairing that section of cut wires? Solder and heatshrink (double heatshrink if you want) each cut wire and once all cut wires have been joined wrap up the section in 3M Scotch insulating tape. It will be as reliable as new. Think about this before spending 40K on wiring and the labour involved.

Shankar, I am doing this under insurance. so labour amount would not be a problem. I am trying my best to fight against the 50% depreciation in wires and I am getting some positive signs. Moreover, the car is still in warranty and I guess touch up jobs would somehow rebound at a later stage.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

MSIL intercooler for Swift is around 4k or so. Costs about 5k incl labor for replacement IIRC.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Well, wires have been cut. A whole bunch of about 8-10 wires which has been tagged together have been cut. In fact I had put insulation tapes on them before taking to service centre for fear of getting short and starting a fire.
Hello Nettooran,

Did you get the car repaired. Could you please let me know how much depreciation was done on wiring and the intercooler.

Thanks.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:25   #21
BHPian

Had a tight fight with IRDA. ICICI Lombard was playing safe. They forwarded my compliant to IRDA and did their part in keeping me convinced. They were very supportive. (I guess they were sure that they would eventually win). IRDA too replied that I would get 50% of the amount only since it was a compination of platic and metal and it would be considered as plastic only. The crazy part is that only the part that holds the intercooler is plastic and still it is considered a combintion. Had to pay 18k for the Intercooler from my pocket.

Regarding the wiring, I did not replace the kit. Asked the service guys to loop the wires. They have done it well. They too were reluctant to replace the entire kit.That would take 2 days labour. Need to pull out the entire cabin including dash and seats. So saved about 20k there.

The total cost came to about 90k and I had to shell 30k from my pocket(of which 18k was for the intercooler). ICICI handled my case satisfactorily. No complaints.

What I learnt is that i20 body parts like panels, glass,bumper etc are not expensive, but any damage to the imported engine and associated components is gonna cost u lot. Hope the new engine manufacturing facility at chennai is going to improve things
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 13:34   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Being of Metal and Plastic I guess the Intercooler like most "wear and tear" prone parts would undergo depreciation at the same rate as the vehicle itself.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

The photograph shows damage only to the area on the left. If I am not mistaken, the inter cooler for the i20 is located on the right.

Did you drive the car to the work shop? If you did and the inter cooler was leaking, you should have noticed a drop in power.
Old 16th August 2013, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The photograph shows damage only to the area on the left. If I am not mistaken, the inter cooler for the i20 is located on the right.

Did you drive the car to the work shop? If you did and the inter cooler was leaking, you should have noticed a drop in power.
No Sandeep, the Intercooler is located to the left from centre. Due to the collision,the bumper broke, the broken part bend inside and some sharp edge created couple of holes in the Intercooler. I drove the car to the workshop at low speed so that the turbo does not come into picture. I guess the Intercooler comes into action only if the turbo is working.(correct me if I am wrong). Did not notice any drop in power at this speed. I drove it for about 10Kms.
Old 5th January 2017, 13:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Xylo Intercooler Bracket broken.

One of the "L" shaped Bracket of our Xylo's Intercooler has broken (exact reason unknown. May be the mechanic did not fix the bracket properly while our car was away in Mumbai). The Bolt seen to the left side of Intercooler's Exposed area holds that bracket.
Now can I use the Intercooler in this condition or should I replace it with new one?
My regular FNG in Solapur says that the area exposed by bracket can be sealed with MSeal and the Intercooler can be used.
What do you bhpians suggest?
Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170103_103210_hdr.jpg

Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170103_103223_hdr.jpg

Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170103_103232_hdr.jpg

Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170103_103236_hdr.jpg

Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170105_124257_hdr.jpg

Depreciation for Intercooler-img_20170105_124303_hdr.jpg
Old 13th January 2017, 19:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians, please suggest what to do in above case?

Can a new L-Shaped Aluminum bracket be welded on the broken area? Would the Weld hold on the load of Intercooler and bear the vibrations of engine or should I have to replace the Intercooler completely?

Please reply at the earliest.
Old 13th January 2017, 20:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to first probe the SA on what exactly is the issue in the current Intercooler. On probing, they will get caught. Secondly, if you are convinced about the reply from first dealership, show the car to another dealer ASC and tell them the symptoms. Per my notion, they would not ask you to change the Inter cooler. Dealership will try to exploit the Owners if we keep trusting them. They need constant calibration.

Even if the second dealer says, Inter cooler need to be replaced, you can get it checked with your local faithful mechanic /workshop to find out what really has happened. Then, based on these inputs collected separately, you can take further course of action

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks