Old 3rd May 2007, 21:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
the ice in my car is insured but everything is with B/W
Good !! Thats the way
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

In 2003 I tried insuring my then new laptop which I had bought from Dubai. But the companies wouldn't do so without a Bill for the same, hence it could not be insured and as my brilliant luck would have it, the laptop got stolen 3 months later in Switzerland.

I had also insured my ICE for the 1st year when I bought my car but not after that & anyways everything was bought with B&W.
Old 4th May 2007, 10:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

The insurance companies depreciate ICE very fast so please read the fine print.

There is also a thread on this forum for Keeping your ICE secure. Please read that too. Gunbir I think penned most of it.

That said most of us are plain lucky not to have our ICE stolen.

I am old now but 20-25 years ago I could Slim JIm my way into most cars and disable the electronic car theft systems (even ones with hidden abtteries in about 30 seconds). No I was not a car thief but worked with a Taiwanese company called Winner Internatioal (make of "The Club") adn we need to know this to demo that The Club was about as safe as you could keep you car.

BTW The Club and it's cousins could also be easily disabled (in that era). A can of Freon Spray and a Hammer worked well. Today they do NOT surface harden this devices so you would need a saw and 15 mins of sawing.
Old 4th May 2007, 19:40   #20
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have heard of a similar situation. Somebody I know insured a 80,000/- rupees system,as part of the car insurance. After paying the premium for 3 years, one day his sytem was stolen.

He was paid a pittance for it. They make a little noise when accepting the policy and a lot of it, when the time comes to pay up. Be careful.
Yes, it can be insured without B/W.
Get it assessed by a surveyor, he'll fix a value of the whole system.

But at the time of claim, the depreciated value is paid. And as all of you know the how the rate decreases and fast.

Sam, this is where your friend lost. Obviously, no company wants to give away money.
Old 4th May 2007, 20:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I am old now but 20-25 years ago I could Slim JIm my way into most cars and disable the electronic car theft systems (even ones with hidden abtteries in about 30 seconds)....
Wow! Navin, is there something you haven't done? We get to see newer and newer sides of your experiences every once in a while. Been there, done that would be a really nice signature for you
Old 4th May 2007, 20:55   #22
BHPian

I have had my systems insured since i can remember.. To amounts of 2-3 lakhs.. There is no issue about the bill part of it and New india assurance has even paid me 1.5 lacs for my stolen ICE.. Which was insured at 2 lacs which was stolen after 2 years...
Cheersssss
Old 4th May 2007, 22:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
if Im not mistaken it might have been Evo6 or one of the mumbai/pune members who provided the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
I have had my systems insured since i can remember.. To amounts of 2-3 lakhs.. There is no issue about the bill part of it and New india assurance has even paid me 1.5 lacs for my stolen ICE.. Which was insured at 2 lacs which was stolen after 2 years...
Cheersssss

Was New India insurance your vehicle insurers as well? Or you had an independant policy as the ice amount to a lot of $$$$ (2L+) phew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Yes, it can be insured without B/W.
Get it assessed by a surveyor, he'll fix a value of the whole system.
But at the time of claim, depreciated value is paid. rate decreases and fast.
Thanks guys.
Old 5th May 2007, 01:35   #24
BHPian

New india was my car insurer as well.. and over and above that this was done as accessories on the same policy with the figures i am telling u ...
Old 7th May 2007, 06:06   #25
BANNED

And what is the depreciation rate for the ICE ?
Old 17th February 2009, 00:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Getting your ICE insured

we often buy car worth lacs of rupees and give it a comprehensive insurance through reputed companies which have tie-up with dealers for complete customer satisfaction.

however, many owners do not get ICE installed either from dealer or from a reputed accesories shop, thereby some people falling prey to cheap grey market imports (WITHOUT BILL)

some people asked as of how to get the ICE insured so that loss is minimised in case of theft.

most modern cars have either factory-fitted audios or integrated audios, so they may be secure to a greater extent, even though they are exactly are not fool proof.

so what to do?

first of all, it makes sense to get an original audio and amplifiers/woofers WITH BILL since a copy of this will go to the insurance company in order to get it endorsed.

secondly, instead of scouting for "sasta" stereos which have no guarantee, it makes sense to spend a few extra bucks and go to a good accessories shop to get the ICE fitted with no damage to electricals and wiring harness to keep your car's warranty intact.

now, for the insurance part.

all it takes is the bill and a guarantee card duly signed by the dealer to show to the insurance company with whom your car is insured.most of the companies will more than happily help you in this. there will be an increase of about 4-5% in your insurance premium but it's worth it in minimizing your loss since the insurance covers all parts-the stereo, amplifier, woofers and tweeters.

the value of insurance is calculated at 95% of the MRP of the product mentioned on the bill (EXCLUDING VAT), and in case the insurance period is ongoing, added to the existing premium amount for the remaining time period after calculations.

in case the dealer takes care of your insurance policies, and the car is insured by mostly the same insurance company year-after-year, just show a copy o the bill and warranty card (RECOMMENDED: IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASE OF I.C.E.) to the dealer and he will take care of all other formalities, which I did today with a Hyundai dealer since I got the stereo installed from him.

in case the stereo is more than 1 year old, still it can be endorsed on your insurance premium but depreciation will be subtracted.

I hope this write-up clears majority of your doubts. In case I missed something or some suggestions, kindly contribute and add to this thread as this will benefit other owners.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the extremely helpful peace of equipment.
My vRs is parked inside the garage while the Honda City has ICE without bill and more than 2 years old.
Take out the HU everyday. Amp, Sub nicely in the boot.
Seats cannot be folded
Old 17th February 2009, 01:47   #28
BHPian

abhinav if somebody can break open the car he can definitely pull the release lever and open the boot too.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

Related article here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...em-secure.html
Old 17th February 2009, 10:37   #30
BHPian

Does inbuilt music systems are not covered in normal insurance. SX4 came with the company fitted music system. Do I need to take extra cover on the same? I think it should be covered in accessories section

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks