Team-BHP - Unethical Insurance switching tricks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Unethical Insurance switching tricks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/153748-unethical-insurance-switching-tricks.html)

BEWARE: People calling up and tricking you to change your Vehicle Insurance Agency @ Bangalore
Two weeks back I had got a call from a person who said to be representing my Vehicle dealer. She said this is regarding insurance renewal and an offer from Bajaj Allianz. As I had a no-claim bonus, my Insurance premium would be INR 15,900 and gift coupons worth INR 3,000 from a car servicing agency.

The woman was quick in her dealings and the next day her colleague was at my office. This person took snaps of the vehicle, noted down the engine and chassis numbers etc. I was not overtly bothered as I knew that my insurance agency was changing (from National Insurance to Bajaj Allianz). The surveyor/appraiser collected the cheque and issued a receipt as well.

Last Thursday, I received a call again from a person who said to be representing my Vehicle dealer. This gentlemen was surprised to find that I have already paid up the premium. He then stated that he is the original insurance agent at my vehicle dealership. And then he said I have been duped by a other folks who were just getting vehicle records and tricking people to change the insurance agency. I did not believe him as well.

I then called up my vehicle dealer's land line number, asked them to patch me with the insurance help desk. And then they confirmed every thing. I had been tricked into issuing a cheque for Bajaj Allianz. And I have been charged Rs.3000 more. If I went ahead with National Insurance my premium would have been just Rs.12,900/-.

Next steps:
1. I issued a "stop cheque" order to my bank. Luckily it was a post dated cheque, so it had not been processed.
2. I informed Bajaj Allianz customer support that they should not process the cheque.
3. I called up the fake agent of my vehicle dealer and informed her the trick did not go well this time.

Note to admins: If there is a specific thread for such information, I request you to move it there.

Was the check issued to "Bajaj Allianz"? And was it made account payable? I am finding it difficult to understand as to what the alleged fake agent would do with the check in the name of BA?
This is what I feel, every insurance company has multiple agencies within the same city and all of them would be vying for the same business. It is possible that the person who approached you, was also from BA, but a different agency. BA is anyways expensive when compared to other insurance companies. I have always found that buying an insurance online, rather than agents works out cheaper.

The guys who called you - were they from Bajaj Allianz?
Did the guy who came to your office bring any cover note with him?

I wonder what would they gain by taking a cheque from you in favor of BA if they were simply trying to cheat you.

If they were indeed BA agents, then this is a highly unethical way of getting some quick business. Do report this to BA.

Lastly, you were in luck that you got the call from dealer in nick of time, had it been delayed by a day or two it would have been a different story.

I agree with Dass here, It could be some other agency. you have issued a post dated check in the name of Bajaj allianz, I don't see any cheat here!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinpk (Post 3491950)
BEWARE: People calling up and tricking you to change your Vehicle Insurance Agency @ Bangalore.

Note to admins: If there is a specific thread for such information, I request you to move it there.

Bro, I too got a similar call last friday. Similar modus operandi. A lady calls as if from the service centre andThey have been following up for the past few days, but somehow I wasn't comfy with the whole story. So asked her to send me an email with the details. It was the email that finally made me stay away. The id was "changemeinsurance" at gmail, with which it was clear that they were not part of the original service centre insurance team. Turned out the call was from Bajaj Allianz.

A fact to be noted is that these guys have all the relevant details with them.

I believe the thread name needs rewording.

This isn't exactly a scam - it's just some agents/an agency of Bajaj Allianz that are playing smart and trying to get more deals done by their team. It would be a scam if the money was going to them instead of Bajaj.

And with regards to the 3000 INR difference, it would probably be there if you got BA insurance directly from BA (online/via your dealer/etc). BA and Tata AIG are a lot costlier (on an avg) than other insurance firms.

Also I doubt if Bajaj Allianz would be able to do anything out here - they are clearly the beneficiaries as they are getting more customers out of this fiasco.

Don' think that it was a scam. It was more of a marketing team's gimmick.

Moreover, I do not get how you were 'tricked' to issue a check for BA when they already told you that they were from BA and you agreed to change your insurer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass
Was the check issued to "Bajaj Allianz"? And was it made account payable? I am finding it difficult to understand as to what the alleged fake agent would do with the check in the name of BA?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice
Did the guy who came to your office bring any cover note with him?

The cheque was issued to Bajaj Allianz. And yes the insurance surveyor did bring the Bajaj Allianz cover note with him. I still have that with me. Here the "trick" or "cheating" is that the DSA of Baja Allianz posed as if they represented my vehicle dealer. More of "confidence tricking" if I can put it that way. The whole story was as if my vehicle dealer was recommending a switching of insurance agent, and I am even getting bonus points. And it was only the last minute call from the vehicle dealer saved me. By then I guess the vehicle dealer got wind of this scheme going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjosep
Similar modus operandi.

Okay. So this is quite common perhaps. Though I must admit I never faced this problem when I owned a Maruti Wagon R. The vehicle dealer I guess guarded my details very strictly. My new vehicle is a Mahindra Quanto and the dealer folks did say that looks like their customer detail records are getting leaked out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli
BA and Tata AIG are a lot costlier (on an avg) than other insurance firms.

You know what. Just after this cheap trick from BA DSA, I get a call from Tata AIG. And I did give that fellow a piece of my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77
Moreover, I do not get how you were 'tricked' to issue a check for BA when they already told you that they were from BA and you agreed to change your insurer?

Same response which I gave to dass and Dry Ice. The confidence tricking part is the DSA stating that she represented by vehicle dealer. I had only given a go ahead believing the call was from my vehicle dealer. Or else fat chance I am going to switch over to Bajaj Allianz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 3491972)
I wonder what would they gain by taking a cheque from you in favor of BA if they were simply trying to cheat you.

What they would gain is the commission, which would have otherwise gone to your regular agent.

Also by selling an expensive policy his commission would be higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live To Jive (Post 3492304)
What they would gain is the commission, which would have otherwise gone to your regular agent.

Also by selling an expensive policy his commission would be higher.

I posted that question assuming these guys weren't from BA and just ordinary guys trying to swindle money from unsuspecting people. Now that it is clear the guys were from BA and this was just an unethical ploy to get more business, the benefits are not hard to see. :)