Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 07:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Policy up for renewal - Fed up of marketing calls from insurance companies

One more way I discovered to circumvent the policybazaar personal details is to put in some fictitious mobile number. When the countdown starts from 5 minutes, keep this screen on and move to something else. After 5 minutes, you can check the quotes on the policy bazaar screen itself.
Somehow, I realise I got more calls when my car was up for renewal, as against the scooter. I guess its the fatter commission involved in the car.
Old 28th January 2015, 08:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

In other words some other poor fellow whose mobile you accidentally entered as a fictitious number now starts getting spammed by them

The best way to go is to completely avoid such sites. There aren't all that many insurers in the market and most of their rates especially for term general insurance are well in line with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
One more way I discovered to circumvent the policybazaar personal details is to put in some fictitious mobile number. When the countdown starts from 5 minutes, keep this screen on and move to something else. After 5 minutes, you can check the quotes on the policy bazaar screen itself.
Somehow, I realise I got more calls when my car was up for renewal, as against the scooter. I guess its the fatter commission involved in the car.
Old 28th January 2015, 08:55   #48
BHPian

I always give false mobile number on policy bazaar. Otherwise they will ruin your days if not weeks.

And I check quotes which I get in my email. Even I have separate email I'd for all these craps. Once you register you not only get the regular emails but also get registered with 10 other marketing sites.
Old 28th January 2015, 14:42   #49
BHPian

I agree that once you provide your number at policy bazaar you will start getting calls for Insurance and may be other promotional activities.

But doesn't the DND feature help with that. I remember when my car insurance was due which was around September/October. And I only got calls from my existing insurer and the only that I authorized (like my finance company). But apart from that I did not receive any single call from any other insurer.
Old 28th January 2015, 16:02   #50
BHPian

Hi Malgudi,

The best things to avoid such situation is to take first Insurance itself online or by calling companies directly. These companies directly never engage in such activities but their agent play annoying role.

The sales guy at majority of the dealer gives your information to accessories shops as well as the Insurance agent. Accessories guys calls you immediately, while the insurance guys waits patiently for a year.

Well in your situation today, the best way is avoidance. Please do not indulge in talking as it opens the Pandora Box. Try to reject politely and hang-up.

Least suggested option
Use True Caller App to know his name and threaten him to call the service provider to block his number. But as it said, fighting with pigs, you know what I mean.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
However I am getting numerous calls from almost all insurance companies who are interested in renewing the insurance of my car & surprisingly, they have all my details like my Name, Number, Address, Car No, My last year's quote (I think this since I have NCB and they are offering that same % NCB to me as well).
This is true not only for car insurance for everything else. The callers have all the details and they say they got the details from their database. I think this information is getting sold for money. There is no seriousness about customer data or confidentiality. The agents and employees who handle data make merry by taking out notes and key information. You enquire for one insurance, then others will call. If you apply for a credit card, all banks will start calling you. To escape from TRAI they use all cheap tactics and give away numbers to random people who want to make money working from home by making calls. Kind of MLM. What a plague!
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Least suggested option
Use True Caller App to know his name and threaten him to call the service provider to block his number. But as it said, fighting with pigs, you know what I mean.
Better still this app which will create an sms in the appropriate format and send it to the 1909 hotline. This is an official complaint as per trai so that the caller's mobile number(s) as well as those of the advertiser will be disconnected.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...j.smspam&hl=en

Read this on what TRAI is doing -

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/asp/CMS/Eve...munication.pdf
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 18:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Malgudi,

The best things to avoid such situation is to take first Insurance itself online or by calling companies directly. These companies directly never engage in such activities but their agent play annoying role.
And I can post something very uncanny. I renewed my car policy on-line from Iffco tokyo on 6th Jan 2015 and received the soft copy in next 2 days.

Guess what, today i get another email from Policy bazaar thanking me for the policy order and then subsequent email with the same policy document that I had received from Iffco tokyo.

Anyone faced the same before?
Old 2nd February 2015, 19:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

I am also going through the pain of renewal now. I had made a claim on my car insurance this year and the renewal quote provided by current insurer is very high at 20k, almost matching what I paid 5 years back when I bought my car. I registered on policybazaar and now keep getting calls. I have somehow managed to block most of them using TrueCaller app on my phone so far, even though they do surprise by calling from different numbers. The best quote have received so far is from L&T Insurance at about 11k with the IDV close to 5 lacs. Still on the lookout.

Last edited by vasoo : 2nd February 2015 at 19:11.
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:41   #55
BHPian

In such a scenario, the information that is going to go out cannot be stopped. (based on the link provided above) as our car insurance data is almost public.

A better alternative would be try turning on the full DND option, or at least block all BFSI related calls.

Just a simple Google search on activating DND for your phone number will give you guide on how it is done. There's nothing more than a SMS involved here. It might take 7 days to activate though.

Further, I guess the TRAI website also gives 9 categories where you can chose to either continue receiving calls or block those specific category. I remember, there is a clear category for all BFSI related calls.

Guess what, telecallers have a 20,000 Rs fine if they call any person who is on the DND list. At the beginning of a call, just mention once that you are on DND and calls to you can cost his/her company to the tune of 20,000/- or more. You'll not have to bother after that.
Old 4th February 2015, 18:13   #56

On A serious note ,

I have a Honda city (new model) petrol brought last year. Can you please help me on

"Who is giving a good deal for Bumper 2 Bumper insurance (without any claims) ?"

Thanks a ton !
Old 4th February 2015, 20:44   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes-anonymous View Post
On A serious note ,

I have a Honda city (new model) petrol brought last year. Can you please help me on

"Who is giving a good deal for Bumper 2 Bumper insurance (without any claims) ?"

Thanks a ton !
You could go with Honda's own insurance which isn't bad at all, and moreover gets you fast service when you drop your car at a honda authorized service center. Yes, a bit more expensive.
Old 4th February 2015, 20:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

The best way to go is to completely avoid such sites. There aren't all that many insurers in the market and most of their rates especially for term general insurance are well in line with each other.
I have to disagree with you there. I have seen variations of about Rs.6-10k on annual premiums between insurance providers. I think for that money, it is worth exploring through online websites. For a policy of 30 years, you end up saving Rs.300000/-(10000*30) is it not worth it?
Old 4th February 2015, 20:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I have seen variations of about Rs.6-10k on annual premiums between insurance providers. I think for that money, it is worth exploring through online websites. For a policy of 30 years, you end up saving Rs.300000/-(10000*30) is it not worth it?
Are you sure you are paying for the same thing? One might offer zero depreciation, or add certain other riders to their policy while another sells a more bare bones policy with a higher co-pay.

Simply comparing prices for insurance policies (which policybazaar type sites do for you) is an apples to oranges thing.
Old 5th February 2015, 08:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Are you sure you are paying for the same thing? One might offer zero depreciation, or add certain other riders to their policy while another sells a more bare bones policy with a higher co-pay.

Simply comparing prices for insurance policies (which policybazaar type sites do for you) is an apples to oranges thing.
I read your post as General insurance, hence I was talking about Term life policies. I have seen variations for premium in term life policies offering the same benefits. (There is not much to differentiate in term life, unless there is an add on for personal accident, disability etc). LIC being the highest and having an annual premium about 18k higher than a private insurance player.
But yes, you have a point that in car insurance, for an oranges to oranges comparison, the premium may not differ much.

Last edited by hrman : 5th February 2015 at 08:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks