Team-BHP - Policy up for renewal - Fed up of marketing calls from insurance companies
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Policy up for renewal - Fed up of marketing calls from insurance companies (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/159958-policy-up-renewal-fed-up-marketing-calls-insurance-companies.html)

I am in a peculiar situation and would like to know if there is any step that I should take to protect myself :
I have purchased a Honda City in Jan 2014 and had taken a Honda Assure Insurance for the same. Accordingly my Insurance was due this month for renewal which I got renewed in Dec itself from Honda Assure again.

However I am getting numerous calls from almost all insurance companies who are interested in renewing the insurance of my car & surprisingly, they have all my details like my Name, Number, Address, Car No, My last year's quote (I think this since I have NCB and they are offering that same % NCB to me as well).

Have raised a case with Honda with regards to breach of my confidential Information. Is there anything else that I should do. Appreciate all the help and advice guys.

I am in the same boat and pissed to the core. Fed up of getting 5-6 call everyday for the past two months (My insurance is due for renewal on Feb end). I have even sent a mail to IRDA a couple of days back but haven't got any response.

Why don't we join forces and lodge a legal battle? Afterall, data security breach is something we should take lightly.

I think this 'breach' of privacy policy is actually the norm unless you are dealing with really big corporates. I am so fed up of these calls that I have stopped taking calls from unknown numbers. Never take a call from a number with NCR code. All insurers always need your mobile number even for checking quotes online and then they have the list of people to bug.

Faced the same problem after purchase from "Magnum Honda", Bangalore. My insurance was due in December, started receiving letters and calls with quotes and mode of payment from different companies. Worst still these letters were not in an authorized insurance company letter head too, rather mentioning some agencies name. My dad almost contacted one of the numbers to make the payment but did not happen luckily.
The dealers have leaked my info to all local agents. Shocking part was they even knew my vehicle's engine and chassis number :Frustrati
The dealer denied any involvement in this and offered another company's policy instead :deadhorse finally after renewing my insurance with another company all the calls and letters mysteriously stopped...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...le-online.html

Check this thread and the link provided on it. That's how easy it is to get anyone's details!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguar (Post 3630226)
I am in the same boat and pissed to the core. Fed up of getting 5-6 call everyday for the past two months (My insurance is due for renewal on Feb end). I have even sent a mail to IRDA a couple of days back but haven't got any response.

Why don't we join forces and lodge a legal battle? Afterall, data security breach is something we should take lightly.

Hmm.. Looks Like I am not the only one who is at the receiving end of this SCAM. Have started this thread to see what steps should be taken to safeguard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3630235)
I think this 'breach' of privacy policy is actually the norm unless you are dealing with really big corporates. I am so fed up of these calls that I have stopped taking calls from unknown numbers. Never take a call from a number with NCR code. All insurers always need your mobile number even for checking quotes online and then they have the list of people to bug.

I am not sure if I want to pass this off as norm because the persons calling have all my details and this information can be grossly misused. Also I am not sure if from just the mobile number they can find out which car/policy I have bought & this would be a tedious job to find details from mobile nos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashblue (Post 3630244)
Faced the same problem after purchase from "Magnum Honda", Bangalore. My insurance was due in December, started receiving letters and calls with quotes and mode of payment from different companies. Worst still these letters were not in an authorized insurance company letter head too, rather mentioning some agencies name. My dad almost contacted one of the numbers to make the payment but did not happen luckily.
The dealers have leaked my info to all local agents. Shocking part was they even knew my vehicle's engine and chassis number :Frustrati
The dealer denied any involvement in this and offered another company's policy instead :deadhorse finally after renewing my insurance with another company all the calls and letters mysteriously stopped...

Mine is a Honda purchased at Pune and similiar to your case the calls are from local agents of these Insurance companies + the quote is not on official letterhead. This what Aroused my suspicion in first place. Earlier I was thinking that it is the second Honda dealer in Pune who is trying to get my Business & hence I requested for quote. Luckily I realised in time. But in my case calls continue even after my insurance in renewed. Maybe they will stop after Jan as the due date is Jan.

In my case I have the Honda car & Honda Insurance so I have raised a case today directly with Honda asking for explanation and awaiting the same. It has to be the dealer am 90% sure. I do not think it is the Insurance company through which Honda Insurance has given me insurance (Why would they provide my details to all insurance company & loose business if I renew with someone else). Unless there is someother database where all insurance companies can query and get all the details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_711 (Post 3630256)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...le-online.html

Check this thread and the link provided on it. That's how easy it is to get anyone's details!

Thanks for the link. Have checked this earlier and you need to know the exact car Reg no to get the details. Again this would be tedious even if I assume that data is leaked from RTO as someone would have to query one by one on this site.

1. Register in NDNC. Most of such calls stopped for me after registering.
2. Complain about every marketing call to your telecom provider and they are supposed to act on it after your registration in NDNC is through
3. For every call you receive threaten them that you are calling the police with their number and complain to TRAI/DOT (and in this case IRDA and the insurance provider) of harassment.
After the above 3 steps calls have almost stopped for me with 1 exception : Tata AIG customer care (not the insurance brokers) for my car insurance. They call me every year during renewal period. They were shameless to call me even after I had renewed insurance with them. Till last year I had to threaten them by email every year after I receive the first call and I have chain of last 3 years. I just "reply to all" to the email thread with one line "An the stupidity starts this year again!" and the calls stop thankfully!

I do not think you have much hope unless you are prepared to waste your time on suppressing these calls.

It was a blessing in disguise for me. I just ask them to email me a quote and use that to negotiate with my preferred insurance provide.

I have similar problems with my Life Insurance Co. One fine day a guy calls me to say that bonus was declared on my policy and he has me called to confirm whether I have accepted to forfeit that bonus. When I said NO, he said my agent is swallowing the amounts and that I should call the local branch manager and lodge a complaint. He gave me a mobile number which was supposed to be the number of the Bangalore branch Chief manager's no. I grew suspicious and called the toll free no. and was told that that was a fraudulent call and lot of people have received such calls that I should ignore it :Shockked:. I got furious that my personal policy details like my address, birth date and other personal details have leaked out like this to fraudulent people. I even wrote an official complaint. They replied back with a standard regret letter. :Frustrati

I just pick up the phone and tell them the car has been sold. :D

These online policy bazar types are the worst. They make you check the little tick box that says you are ok with receiving calls if you want to see the online quotes. So the DND isnt applicable any longer in that case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshaymahajan (Post 3630317)
I just pick up the phone and tell them the car has been sold. :D

These online policy bazar types are the worst. They make you check the little tick box that says you are ok with receiving calls if you want to see the online quotes. So the DND isnt applicable any longer in that case.

+1

Recently I was pissed about being overcharged 200 Rs for 2 weeks for my DTH. I called and had to run through hoops to have some additional pack disabled. But they would not talk to me about a refund. After wasting 40 Rs. on 2 calls, decided its not worth my time.

Its not worth your time. You need to find a creative solution like this :)

Happened to me also for my Vento tsi last November. Started getting calls and letters from September itself. Some of the letters with quotes came in official looking envelopes. Was quite worried when I got one for the first time. Seemed like a court summons. Wonder where the info gets leaked from. It would be against the interest of both the dealer and the current insurance company as I assume they get good commissions from each policy sold as their quotes are invariably higher than all the ones that comes from out side.

Privacy is a big issue now. We voluntarily give away lot of information, lot of it we give away without clearly understanding what we are agreeing to give away- Google data from smartphone is an example. And finally when if you are tech averse and manage to keep yourself isolated, there will be somebody else with your details happily sharing them away. Simple example- a photo of me is taken with a group of friends. Immediately posted and tagged on FB for the world to see. My permission not asked.

A single paise from my side for those who are fed up with these calls.

Install truecaller on your phones. Most of these numbers are being marked as spam by many other users. So, you can go ahead and reject calls and contribute by blocking and reporting spam for any and every tele-caller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 3630161)
I am getting numerous calls from almost all insurance companies who are interested in renewing the insurance of my car & surprisingly they have all my details like my Name, Number, Address, Car No, My last year quote (I think this since I have NCB and they are offering that same % NCB to me as well).

Have raised a case with Honda with regards to breach of my confidential Information. Is there anything else that I should do. Appreciate all the help and advice guys.

The calls you are getting are not direct from the company but from the insurance agents of the company and your data is most probably leaked from the dealers side by one or the other employee. You will be surprised to know that such kind of data is many a times exchanged for monetary benefits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik (Post 3630517)
A single paise from my side for those who are fed up with these calls.

Install truecaller on your phones.

Yes you can install true-caller but then you will end up compromising your contact list which will again lead to making of a database that will eventually be sold in the market.:Frustrati

When I had to renew the car insurance last year, I had entered the contact details on policybazar.com. I got a call from Bajaj Allianz since that was the only insurance provider that ticked all my requirements and the premium was reasonable.

ICICI Lombard with whom I had the insurance before, gave me a few calls intimating me about the expiry of the policy but that’s about it. No calls thereafter.