Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 17:17   #1
BHPian

Insurance Policy: Soft copy enough?

Hello everyone.

This post in on behalf of my friend. He had opted for Insurance Policy from Policy Bazaar online, when his previous insurance expired in May 2015. The vehicle in question is a Honda Aviator 110 Std.

He was too excited to get the insurance of his two wheeler done online, as it required no inspection or paperwork formalities. The premium quote was also at par, if not lower, with what the offline insurance companies provided.

The insurance policy from 'HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company Ltd.' was chosen on 13.05.2015. The payment of premium was done on 13.05.2015. He was promised a hardcopy of the insurance papers in some time. It has been almost 2 months and he hasn't received any information from either Policy Bazaar or HDFC Ergo, except some confirmation mails and a softcopy.

He has mailed to the Policy Bazaar Helpline about this and they are yet to respond. Kindly guide me (/him) as to what shall be done now.

PS. He is using a printout of the softcopy. Is it fine, and should he not insist for a hardcopy?

MODS- Please move in the right section. The 'Insurance' section was for cars, so I think it should belong here only. Please merge if similar thread exists.
Old 12th July 2015, 16:46   #2
BHPian

re: Insurance Policy: Soft copy enough?

Not sure about how the things are in the NCR area. But, here in Hyderabad, a print out of the soft copy of the vehicle insurance policy suffices. I don't remember traffic cops insisting on the original policy papers anytime. Anyways, even when I had the hard copy, I used to carry only its photocopies in my bike.
vikred is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 17:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Experience : Insurance Policy from Policy Bazaar

Most insurance companies DO NOT send hard copies of insurance documents anymore. It's a waste of resources. A print out of the soft copy is more than enough - in fact, I have once managed by showing a soft copy on a mobile screen at a check naka.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 17:56   #4
BHPian

And is this soft copy valid at the time of claiming?

I think, they should have arranged a hard copy with a local franchise if any. Whatever, it would be safe to buy the policies directly from the companies such as Bajaj Allianz etc websites rather than this so-called all in one policy site.

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2015 at 12:55. Reason: Language
Wildy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2015, 17:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, a print out (or just the policy number) is enough for making a claim. I don't know about HDFC Ergo but most companies allow you to reprint your insurance policy from their website with basic car details, and your email address / mobile number
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik2772 View Post
PS. He is using a printout of the softcopy. Is it fine, and should he not insist for a hardcopy?
This should be fine for RTO as well as claims.

To be sure, call customer care and validate particulars (Policy #, coverage amount etc).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 19:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Non issue really. A soft copy is just as good as a hard copy, and in fact I scan the hard copy in order to have it available on mail.

How come this is a 'bad experience'? I am sure the friend can get a hard copy if he wants from any HDFC insurance outlet.
Old 12th July 2015, 21:09   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@Wildy:
He bought the insurance policy online as his previous policy had expired and inspection (or verification?) wasn't required in case of an online policy.

@ani_meher:
Bad experience because he was promised the hardcopy to be delivered at his doorstep, within 15 working days (in a confirmation mail). Now it has been almost 2 months and he hasn't got anything.

---

Now that I know that it is not a big problem, even if we have a softcopy (printout), MODS can edit the title to something better suited to the situation.

My friend has mailed to Policy Bazaar helpline and they have promised a hardcopy within 15 days.
Old 13th July 2015, 12:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Insurance Policy: Soft copy enough?

Nik, as every one have already said, it is no issue at all. No need to keep the hard copies, the printout is enough (I assume the printout clearly list out the validity and policy number). All my vehicles are insured online and I dont opt for the hard copies now a days.
Have shown the soft copies couple of times during traffic checking and have never faed any issues.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 12:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

I've also always kept a printout of the soft copy, albeit a color print just to be on the safe side. Have been checked once or twice, never been a problem.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 13:18   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just one thing = Once you get your soft copy, be sure to confirm the policy's validity directly with the insurer. I'd read on the forum about bogus insurance policies doing the rounds.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

+1 to GTO.

Confirm whether the policy details are correct in the soft copy, take a printout of the same and keep it in the 2 wheeler. Thats what I do. The original stays in the specific 2 wheeler folder at home. Its absolutely fine driving around with a printed hard copy. In case of claim, Insurer will ask for the copy of the policy + driving licence (and PAN card if reqd).

By IRDA rule the Insurers have an obligation to send the policy in the hard copy format which many Insurers fail to do so to avoid certain costs of printing + postage.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Soft copy of Insurance = Black and White printout of the PDF file that you receive via email.
This is not to be confused with Proposal Note / E-COver Note.

Hard copy of Insurance = Colour printout with ads and do's and don't and a whole bunch of terms and conditions printed on a thick bundle of paper, sent by the Insurance company to your registered address.

Both work fine. As long as the Reg No. of the vehicle matches with that on the insurance policy and the insurance period is valid.

However, I would seriously ask your friend to go directly through insurance companies (online / offline), and not through dealer or 3rd party insurance websites (policy bazar, askme, etc etc).
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 15:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just one thing = Once you get your soft copy, be sure to confirm the policy's validity directly with the insurer. I'd read on the forum about bogus insurance policies doing the rounds.
How can we confirm the policy's validity? Is it by mail/offline/online process at insurer's website?

PS. The details on the insurance policy (softcopy) do match the scooter's details.
Old 14th July 2015, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

As long as you have the soft copy of the actual policy you are good to go. I have had a bad experience with policybazaar two years ago when i renewed the insurance of my Swift through them. They didn't give me the actual policy or policy number for more than a month and i had to do with a cover note only. Finally after lot of following up with policybazaar and the insurer they sent me the actual policy document, both soft copy and hard copy. I did not use them after that.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks