Team-BHP - Is Flood damage covered by insurance?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Is Flood damage covered by insurance? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/170959-flood-damage-covered-insurance.html)

Hello Guys,

With the ongoing mayhem in Chennai and surrounding cities due to rain, many of the cars/Bikes have been submerged completely in rain water. Can these vehicles be brought back to its original shape? If not, will the insurance companies payback? I thought of posting this question so that it could be helpful to someone in this time of need.

Mods: Kindly move it to the appropriate thread if required. I posted this here to grab some attention and get some quick responses.

As far as I know, most insurance policies do not cover damages due to natural calamities, act of war etc.. Car getting submerged due to rains and flooding will be considered a natural calamity. So I don't think the insurance will cover it. It also could be on a case by case basis depending on the number of vehicles impacted.

Not sure if some kind of add on can be bought to cover this also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielthomas (Post 3860449)
Can these vehicles be brought back to its original shape? If not, will the insurance companies payback?

The cars can be repaired depending upon the extent of damage assessed by the Workshop. In a similar situation in Mumbai floods in 2005, most of the cars got submerged stranded but were repaired and Insurance was claimed in such cases. Please see the quote from Insurance policy pasted below, should be generally same for all Insurance co

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3860457)
As far as I know, most insurance policies do not cover damages due to natural calamities, act of war etc.. Car getting submerged due to rains and flooding will be considered a natural calamity. So I don't think the insurance will cover it. It also could be on a case by case basis depending on the number of vehicles impacted.

Insurance can be claimed, please see highlighted and underlined below.

Quote:

SECTION I – LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE INSURED
1. The Company will indemnify the insured against loss or damage to
the vehicle insured hereunder and/or its accessories whilst thereon
i. by fire explosion self ignition or lightning;
ii. by burglary housebreaking or theft;
iii. by riot and strike;
iv. by earthquake (fire and shock damage);
v. by flood typhoon hurricane storm tempest inundation cyclone
hailstorm frost;

vi. by accidental external means;
vii. by malicious act;
viii. by terrorist activity
ix. whilst in transit by road rail inland-waterway lift elevator or air;
x. by landslide rockslide.
Subject to a deduction for depreciation at the rates mentioned below in
respect of parts replaced:
(1) For all rubber/nylon/plastic parts, tyres and
tubes, batteries and air bags - 50%
(2) For fibre glass components - 30%
(3) For all parts made of glass - Nil

I think floods are covered in insurance, there were lots of cars damaged in Srinagar( j&k) floods last year, my friend works in VW and he told me that any car which had water uptill its hood was considered as 'total loss' and non repairable and compensation was given accordingly.

Hi,

Floods & flash floods due to heavy rain are covered in comprehensive insurance. However driving knowingly in water or flood such that it may causes damage to your car is typically not covered unless the insurance includes "Drive Assure" package (of Bajaj Allianz) or similar package of other insurance companies.

Related Thread

Not sure if this is the right thread. But what is the best way for vehicles flooded with water? Take it to showroom, check for damage and then start the vehicle or to try cranking it to check if there is any damage and take it to ASS/FNG for any service if required?
My car (image attached) had this maximum level of water logging. What extent of damage can be expected of this level?
Also is flooding commonly included in Comprehensive insurance or requires any special add ons..?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN (Post 5190870)
But what is the best way for vehicles flooded with water?

Do not crank the car. It might make matters much worse.

Call the service centre and have them tell you what to do next.

Just to give perspective see this news clipping I received.