Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2017, 16:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d Hydrostatic Lock: Insurance company not covering it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This just occurred to me - how long has your car been off the road? It's February and the monsoon season ended many months ago
He's talking about recent Vardah cyclone or the epic rains of Dec 2015 in Chennai.

Quote:
Everyone thinks that they are simply driving through a puddle of water.
My WagonR went through a river of water in Dec 2015 happily just before the main storm break; IIRC it was 4/5-Dec or so; and once after the rains got over in Chennai bypass & water logged into entire floor of the car & carpet
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 16:40   #32
BHPian

If your insurance clearly states that it doesn't cover hydrolock, you'll not get a penny from them. That's the hard truth.

You should've taken the full coverage beforehand knowing you own an expensive and complicated car.

And you shouldn't have driven in a water puddle knowing you have a low slung sedan. You were in a car and not a bike and could've waited or taken an alternative route.

Also, seems like this incident happened long back. I'd say too late to do anything.

The best thing you can do like others have said is to find a competent garage and get your car back on road asap.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 20th February 2017 at 16:52.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Does the insurance cover flooding? If so wont it cover other damages except the engine internals? Or did you mean no flood cover?

If latter then best option is to get it done outside. The list attached seems to have included lot of stuff that might not actually need replacement.
+1 and exactly the point I am trying to make. Don't all insurances cover you against natural calamity like Floods? Of-course unless you have specially opted for a selective third party only insurance. And since this is a comprehensive policy, it covers the OP against flood. So apart from engine internals ( or whatever comes in the definition of hydrostatic lock) the rest of the parts should be covered under insurance.

I would really request for members who have knowledge about car insurance to opine on this.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 14:13   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1 and exactly the point I am trying to make. Don't all insurances cover you against natural calamity like Floods? Of-course unless you have specially opted for a selective third party only insurance. .
Did some quick checks and this is what is mentioned. source

Quote:
Engine and Electronic Circuit Cover: Going by the name of the cover, it offers protection to the engine and electronic circuit especially in case of flooding. Hydro static lock or constantly trying to run a moist engine can cause the engine to fail. Such damage is not a part of normal motor insurance policy.

A dedicated electronic and engine cover add-on is a wise way to ignore massive cost repairs, especially when the electronic circuits are damaged. These cost a huge sum of money for replacement or repair. Since water logging during the monsoon season is common sight in all Indian cities and towns. Opting for an engine and electronic circuit insurance protection add-on is a necessity for the normal car owner.
Source

Quote:
2. Engine Protection
Talk about our Indian streets! During monsoon, they are predominantly water logged. Your car might have an issue if the water enters the engine. Engine damages are not covered under your normal comprehensive policy. So you definitely need this add-on if you stay in a flood-prone area. It comes at an added cost but totally worth it!

Why protect the engine?

Most expensive part
Repairing it can be a real costly affair
Significant labor and material charges
The add-on shields against engine damage due to:

Leakage of lubricating oil
Damage to gear box
Water ingression
Hydrostatic lock – When you repeatedly try to start a moist engine, it can cause an engine failure
NOTE: Cranking the engine while the car’s submerged under water can trigger ignition damaging the engine. This is considered as a deliberate act of damage to the engine. Sadly, it’s an exclusion to the base policy.

How does it work?

Let’s take the case of a standard hatchback:

The repair or replacements of engine parts like crankshaft, piston and pins, cylinder, etc. can cost you a hefty Rs. 1,05,000 or more. This is exclusive of the metal and plastic part costs, which could be an additional Rs. 20,000.

If you had a comprehensive car insurance policy only:

You’d have to pay the entire engine repair costs and a part of metal and plastic parts.

However, if you also had the engine protector add-on cover:

Your insurance company would settle the entire amount for engine repairs or replacement.

Now you decide what makes better sense? Taking this add-on cover or not?
So by default engine is not covered in our standard comprehensive policy.

Source

Quote:
Engine (Aggravation) Protector CoverageCollapse
Do you drive through waterlogged roads during monsoon? Do you fear driving through water logged roads can choke your car’s engine? Do you fear rugged roads can cause accidental damage to the internal parts of your engine, gear box and power steering pump? Then, our Engine Protector cover also known as the Aggravation (Damage) Cover Clause is the perfect add-on if you want to care for your car’s most important part ‘The Engine’.

By opting for our Engine Protector Add on, we will cover the damages to:

1.Engine – internal parts
2.Gear Box – internal parts
3.Transmission or Differential internal parts
4.Power Steering Pump internal parts

Caused by

1.Leakage of lubricating oil/coolant due to any accidental means or
2.Water Ingression while being driven.

We will compensate you for cost incurred by you towards

1.Repairs and/or replacement of the parts of the above units
2.The labour cost directly connected with repairing / replacing the above units
3.Cost of Lubricants and Consumables required to undertake the above activity

Subject to the option of the insurance company either to repair or replace part(s) or the assembly as the case may be.

This cover is available for:

1.Vehicle upto 3 years of age
2.Vehicles registered and plying anywhere in India
3.Vehicles registered and used as Private Car
4.The first claim preferred under this add-on-cover
5.Cover from inception of policy – no midterm inclusion or endorsement
6.Vehicle to be inspected before granting Cover for Old Vehicles
7.Can be offered along with our Renewals

What is not covered:

1.Parts other than those mentioned above
2.Loss or Damage due to ageing, depreciation and wear and tear.
3.Losses falling under the ‘Manufacturer’s Warranty’, including Product recall.
4.Loss or Damage due to delay in intimating the incident to us and /or aggravation of damages due to delay in retrieval of the vehicle from a water logged condition or rusting/corrosion due to the delay.
5.Claim made under self authorization mode – where the vehicle is dismantled, repaired & replaced without our prior consent/inspection.

A claim under this cover is admissible if there is visible evidence of:

1.Damage to the engine / gear box or transmission or differential assembly or power steering pump resulting in leakage of oil/coolant
2.The vehicle partially or fully submerged in water resulting in ingression of water into the engine / gear box or transmission or differential assembly or power steering pump

Other conditions:

1.The cover will be offered on annual basis and will run concurrently with the Package of the vehicle
2.The engine should not be crank or push started if the vehicle has stopped due to water ingression or if the oil/coolant has leaked due to undercarriage damage.
3.Immediate notice to our nearest office shall be given of the incident to enable us to arrange for retrieval of the vehicle and/or provide necessary instructions/support.
4.The add-on cover is also subject to the terms, conditions and exceptions of the package policy to which this add-on cover is attached.
Now you will have to check specifics in the individual policy and see if there is any other flood cover in that (not engine cover), if so what are the parts that would be covered in it apart from engine (egs electronic parts). Rest there is no option but to pay.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 15:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1 and exactly the point I am trying to make. Don't all insurances cover you against natural calamity like Floods? Of-course unless you have specially opted for a selective third party only insurance. And since this is a comprehensive policy, it covers the OP against flood. So apart from engine internals ( or whatever comes in the definition of hydrostatic lock) the rest of the parts should be covered under insurance.

I would really request for members who have knowledge about car insurance to opine on this.
My understanding is that natural calamities like flooding is covered. If the flooding alone damages the engine, it will be covered. What is not covered is consequential damage. If the owner cranks the car after flooding , and the engine damage is due to the subsequent cranking , and not from the original flooding - then that isn't covered.

While this is in theory , insurance companies try rejecting claims on the grounds on consequential damage even when that may not be applicable.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 14:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on the issue? It is been 10 days since the last post. Please keep the thread updates as otherwise it doesn't serve any purpose.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 01:30   #37
BHPian

I have gotten in touch with some BMW people. They're communicating with the insurance on my behalf and they've told me they've got verbal communication with the insurance company that they will cover everything except the engine cover. That leaves me at 7.75L from BMW, but they don't seem to be taking or helping me with any of the costs. How did someone get a steering column for 10% of the cost. Thats incredibly low.

They also said that the engine cover must be repaired first before insurance covers anything else as they will only discover the magnitude of the issues after the engine repair. It leaves me in a tough spot because I don't have anything on paper here so if I go for it, I will be left with nothing but verbal communication on a promise with cover. I'm also a bit confused, I believe this should be covered under flood damage. My car went into a stall and then went off, the subsequent waters damaged my vehicle. Doesn't this qualify?
Old 5th March 2017, 03:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about this.

Quote:
BHPian Jalsa777 had suffered the same issue with his X1 diesel. He got it repaired from outside for 1.5 lakhs. That's what you should do. Find a good shop.
Seems to be the best option. Get it repaired outside and drive it. If problems continue, sell it.

Quote:
This just occurred to me - how long has your car been off the road? It's February and the monsoon season ended many months ago.
I guess he meant the NE monsoon.
Old 5th March 2017, 06:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Did the car not stall because of the water? Or are you saying the car just stalled for no reason and it just so happened to be in water? Were you driving very slowly trying to nurse the car through the puddle? Of so, there's is your reason as to why your car stalled. I remember driving my WagonR through water so deep that the headlights were submerged and water had entered the interior upto my knees. There was even a fortuner that was stalled which we passed and a Punto that had stalled just in front of us while crossing us on the other side of the road. Pavement was invisible, so was the divider. Trees were just sprouting out of the water. I just floored it and built up the revs keeping the engine singing all the way and made sure I dropped my friend home and got home myself before letting the engine go off. After a week, took it to a trusted local garage and got everything fixed in under 10k.

Uncles in my family would talk about how back in the day people were more knowledgeable about their cars.

Just go to a good independent garage and have them take a look. Of costs are still over 5 lakhs, sell the thing and explore other options.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2017 at 12:03. Reason: Do NOT post in a rude manner on Team-BHP. This is NOT a tone we tolerate on this forum.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
I have gotten in touch with some BMW people. It leaves me in a tough spot because I don't have anything on paper here so if I go for it, I will be left with nothing but verbal communication on a promise with cover. I'm also a bit confused, I believe this should be covered under flood damage. My car went into a stall and then went off, the subsequent waters damaged my vehicle. Doesn't this qualify?
Anything verbal, is as good as nothing. Imagine the situation, if the verbal assurance was to be withdrawn after the work has started, citing other technicalities. You will end up paying the entire bill.

You should by now accept that this is a case of hydrostatic lock and start looking at options to solve the issue. I know, the mind wants to think of it as a flooding issue, but the real situation is different.

Last edited by F150 : 5th March 2017 at 09:12.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I have gotten in ......

They also said that the engine cover must be repaired first before insurance covers anything else as they will only discover the magnitude of the issues after the engine repair. It leaves me in a tough spot because I don't have anything on paper here so if I go for it, I will be left with nothing but verbal communication on a promise with cover. I'm also a bit confused, I believe this should be covered under flood damage. My car went into a stall and then went off, the subsequent waters damaged my vehicle. Doesn't this qualify?
It has been a while since your car took in water. My request would be to get the repair started. There are four parties involved. BMW India, Dealer, Insurance Company and you. Each has a possibility to contribute to the repair bill. A meeting across the table would help. Use the big estimate as the upper limit. Start with the engine repair with a plea to dealer and BMW to support you in whatever way it is possible.
For insurance cover, get the split up quote signed off by insurance company in the same meeting. In essence the insurance cover provider is yours, it is therefore your onus to bring their representative in and have a three party meeting with the dealer.
Your car needs repairs. Get it started and find the best way to split the bill. Avoid any further damage.
BeamerBoy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:40   #42
BANNED

@BemerBoy; sound advice. I support your view. get the car going and then sort out the billing.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 09:54   #43
KMT
BHPian

What is the write off value of the car?
Perhaps the insurance company can offer you a figure.
Is it worth taking a few lakhs hit on that rather than spending millions on a sharply depreciating asset?
Old 5th March 2017, 10:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have gotten in touch with some BMW people. They're communicating with the insurance on my behalf and they've told me they've got verbal communication with the insurance company that they will cover everything except the engine cover. That leaves me at 7.75L from BMW, but they don't seem to be taking or helping me with any of the costs. How did someone get a steering column for 10% of the cost. Thats incredibly low.

Insurance won't cover the engine damage, so better to work out a different strategy.

You should speak to the insurance co directly and explore these options: 1. Cover repair costs (except engine damage) at the dealership. 2. Offer one-time cash settlement so that you can take the car to a private garage and repair it yourself. 3. Offer one-time cash settlement and facilitate selling off the car to some private garage.

You should speak to the dealer and explore few options: 1. Offer goodwill discount on items not covered by insurance 2. Offer a good exchange deal. Let them know you are considering selling the car to a pvt garage, etc. which means a loss of business to them.

Speak to private garages to find estimate repair/scrap value. As long as you understand that insurance company wants a smaller payout and dealer doesn't want to lose business, you can get them to work out a favourable deal.

Best option would be to get cash from insurance and have the dealer give you a good exchange deal. If finances don't permit, get cash from insurance and sell it to a private garage. Don't live through this repair hassle, not worth it. Cut your losses and usher in peace.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 10:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
How did someone get a steering column for 10% of the cost. Thats incredibly low.
That was me. My argument was: how can such a substantial part fail in a matter of three years? Their POV was that either I hit a pothole hard or driven the car over bad roads for a long time. But then they checked the tyres and confirmed that nothing wrong with the driving conditions or style.

Also, the dealer here is Pune is excellent. Very proactive and honest in their approach and that helped too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks