Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2017, 09:14   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d Hydrostatic Lock: Insurance company not covering it

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
I have gotten in touch with some BMW people. They're communicating with the insurance on my behalf and they've told me they've got verbal communication with the insurance company that they will cover everything except the engine cover.
That is the best case scenario that all of us were suggesting here too that the Insurance company cannot wash off their hands from damages to other parts. Of-course under no circumstances they will cover the hydrostatic lock issue since you didn't buy the add on cover. My suggestion is since this takes care of almost half of your bill, now you can request BMW to give you a discount on the engine part of the repair. Try citing the fact that you had called for the tow truck and the dealer didn't send it till the next day adding to the damages ( I hope the tow truck was coming from the BMW dealer as part of BMW Secure. Or was it being sent via the insurance company?).

Quote:
They also said that the engine cover must be repaired first before insurance covers anything else as they will only discover the magnitude of the issues after the engine repair. It leaves me in a tough spot because I don't have anything on paper here so if I go for it, I will be left with nothing but verbal communication on a promise with cover.
Please get it in writing before proceeding. Verbal communications are no good and you will end up getting scammed.

Quote:
I'm also a bit confused, I believe this should be covered under flood damage. My car went into a stall and then went off, the subsequent waters damaged my vehicle. Doesn't this qualify?
Please forget this now. It won't get covered and this is exactly what hydrostatic lock is. Your car stalled when you went in water, however less the level was. The rest of the damage should be covered as that qualifies as flood induced damage.

Lastly do look at the private garage option. Best case scenario if you ask me. Get it repaired for a few lakhs ( 1.5L mentioned for the X1) and sell it off. I don't trust these cars after having gone through such repairs. Even you would not really enjoy driving it after feeling ripped off, regardless of the final repair bill.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th March 2017 at 08:24. Reason: fixed quotes
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 17:32   #47
BHPian

Hello Harusadu.

That's really bad what has happened to you. Did you take a call on what is to be done? Have you started the repair? Please do update of any new evolutions and I really hope you get the best possible deal to come out of this mess.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 18:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That was me. My argument was: how can such a substantial part fail in a matter of three years? Their POV was that either I hit a pothole hard or driven the car over bad roads for a long time. But then they checked the tyres and confirmed that nothing wrong with the driving conditions or style.

Also, the dealer here is Pune is excellent. Very proactive and honest in their approach and that helped too.
Just wondering, was you car under warranty or extended warranty?
Replacement of steering column is common under warranty.
Outside of warranty, it's difficult to convince the dealership even of minor things.
Old 24th March 2017, 18:16   #49
BHPian

I would have towed the car home and tried to start the engine next day and tried to analyze and rectify myself at home , instead of giving it first to the dealer.

I mean - either the engine is already damaged or it is not damaged, so there was no harm to check it out yourself. Its good that you didnt attempt to restart in the water, but it was perfectly fine to test it next day at home.

Giving it to the dealer means they can make up their own story to have the engine replaced.

Last edited by aerohit : 24th March 2017 at 18:19.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2017, 13:47   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have gotten in touch with some BMW people. They're communicating with the insurance on my behalf and they've told me they've got verbal communication with the insurance company that they will cover everything except the engine cover. That leaves me at 7.75L from BMW, but they don't seem to be taking or helping me with any of the costs. How did someone get a steering column for 10% of the cost. Thats incredibly low.
Hey been a while since an update. Any progress in your case? Request you to keep the thread updated with the way things progress.
Old 27th March 2017, 11:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Just wondering, was you car under warranty or extended warranty?
Replacement of steering column is common under warranty.
Outside of warranty, it's difficult to convince the dealership even of minor things.
Out of warranty. Had it been under warranty, I wouldn't even have posted the info as it is irrelevant then.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 01:11   #52
BHPian

As of now, the car is still in the dealership and it is still in LIMBO between the insurance and the dealership. This issue is getting worse and worse. There is still only a verbal agreement and I've been out of town so its been difficult to deal with the issue. Insurance is still only giving me a verbal agreement. I'm a bit flustered. What should I do at this point?
harusadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:43   #53
BHPian

Hello Harusadu, any progress on the issue? Please update when ever it is possible to do so.
Hope the insurance company has agreed to cover a good amount of cost.
Old 19th May 2017, 23:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
.....I'm a bit flustered. What should I do at this point?
Still!!!

I'd suggest that you get off the internet and get real. You are still dealing with premium service providers. If you scan team BHP forum, you would get enough of good words about Chennai dealer. Approach them and find a common ground. Else take the dealer/insurance company head on.

Time will definitely not solve this case. Efforts will.

All the best my brother.
Old 11th August 2017, 22:18   #55
BHPian

Recently there was a flooding in my apartment's basement due to some storm water drain repair work. My F30 got flooded at night (without me knowing). I had to go to pick up a friend from the airport early morning so I started the car when the car just stalled and shifted to P showing a message to call service helpline. Luckily enough, I called and they sent a tow truck in less than an hour. The car reached Navnit Motors, Hosur Road where the service advisor reported Hydrostatic Lock issue and unfortunately I didn't have Engine Protect Add On in my insurance policy.

They gave me an estimate of around 6-7 lakhs, only part of which could be covered by insurance. There was no other damage like water in the cabin or electricals of any nature. Service Advisors were very helpful and kept me updated on the status of the repair. The final bill was around 4.5 of which I had to pay 1.9 lakhs from my pocket.

I agree to BeamerBoy's advice and kept in touch with both insurance and the service station which helped.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 23:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
The final bill was around 4.5 of which I had to pay 1.9 lakhs from my pocket.
Thanks for sharing. Few more details would be helpful. Did you have to negotiate to bring the final bill amount to 4.5L? Who paid the balance 2.6L amount and what made them agree to pay it (as they are not liable to pay)? How long did the whole repair took and how much time was spent in negotiations? Lot of questions but hope you don't mind sharing
Old 12th August 2017, 00:06   #57
BHPian

It took exactly 30 days for the total repair out of which 20 were spent negotiating with the insurance company and working with the service station. I told the SA that I want to get the car repaired even if it means I have to pay all the money as there's no other option. Their initial estimate was a little inflated to build a buffer, but when they realised that I will be paying, they started taking it seriously. What (perhaps) worked was that I went to see the car almost every day. After they had dismounted the engine, they showed me the exact problem with the car and what will it take to repair. Fortunately, the damage was not severe as the pistons, connecting rods and heads etc. were in perfect condition. The only issue was with the turbo (image attached for reference), and starter motor which was replaced along with few other parts, fluids and consumables which brought down the bill from a 6 lakhs initial estimate to 4.5. I paid 1.9 and balance was paid by insurance. Service Advisors helped me negotiate the claim with the insurers and I also talked to their senior management (my ex-media background helped )
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d Hydrostatic Lock: Insurance company not covering it-img_0191.jpg  

vivekshukla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 21:10   #58
BHPian

Another one bites the dust. Just reached home wading through waist deep water, with my F10 stalled in water. And No - I do not have Hydrostatic lock coverage (tata AIG), though the car is under BSI and Warranty.
Have called the Roadside Assistance, but given the situation in Mumbai, they are not committing the time required.
Cursing myself for not taking the add-on and hoping that Tata AIG / Infinity help out. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 29th August 2017, 21:13   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Another one bites the dust. Just reached home wading through waist deep water, with my F10 stalled in water. And No - I do not have Hydrostatic lock coverage (tata AIG), though the car is under BSI and Warranty.
Have called the Roadside Assistance, but given the situation in Mumbai, they are not committing the time required.
Cursing myself for not taking the add-on and hoping that Tata AIG / Infinity help out. Any advice will be appreciated.
If its stalled, and you didn't try and restart the engine then its not going to be that bad. But if you did try to restart the car after it stalled, then you are in for some expenses.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 22:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

What if (in any vehicle) water enters the exhaust pipe and then you try to start it? The water would be sucked in, no..? The consequences would be bad then as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks