Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2017, 00:02   #46
BHPian

Re: Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. Was the power bank kept on top of the dash or so, where it was in direct sunlight?

I usually leave my power bank on the lowest portion of the console where sunrays can just not reach and is usually cooler compared to other surfaces exposed to sunlight.

2. How much time had it been since you locked your car and opened it later to find the problem? Did anyone inform you as soon as it exploded or you came to know as & when you unlocked the car later?

3. Would you also know the approximate ambient temperature when the issue happened? This summer, in Chennai, we had as high as 42 degrees.

Edit:: I see you have already answered some of my questions.
#1 It was kept inside the latched console compartment between the seats. No direct sunlight was reaching there.

#2 4-5 hrs. I came to know only after I unlocked the car. there was no visible signs from out side,

#3 Outside temperature might be between 42-45c. Inside I am not sure but as it was getting constant heat under sun for the whole day one can imagine.
ashesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:03   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just that people know the operating temperature for most Genuine 18650 cells are upto 60c and should be fine up to a max of 70c , damage will starts to occur at temperature beyond 70c.

Storage temperature for most batteries are upto 50c , higher temperature will have a effect on its capacity and life cycle.

Fakes 18650 with lipo inside or cells with crappy chemistry have much poorer operating range.

Power banks with poor electronic design which doesn't cut off voltage during discharge and charge will also contribute to cells exploding or catching fire(even when using genuine cells)

Last edited by aim120 : 19th June 2017 at 14:09.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
I made the mistake of
Please see your PM. I have PMed you an idea
Old 19th June 2017, 14:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
I made the mistake of leaving a Powerbank inside the car and it exploded due to heat while it was parked. The interiors of the car were burnt.
Insurance claim settlement isn't all black and white process. The team investigating the damage consider a lot of things before giving their report to the insurance company.

Do you know that there is absolute dearth of technical experts in the surveyors team that insurance companies appoint/hire.

If people here knew how most of the losses are settled, how flawed (and at times how foolproof) the reports are, they'd start dealing with insurance companies a little differently.

I'd suggest the following -

1) What is the operating temperature range suggested by this particular powerbank by the manufacturer? Can you somehow prove that a particular model powerbank was being used by you in the car? Receipt of purchase, powerbank manual?

2) Figure out how much the temperature inside the car would've been for that day and time (easy thing)

3) Share with the surveyor that the powerbank operating range (which would most likely be higher than the inside temperate of the car) didn't even reach and yet the device exploded. Add that you took the extra caution of keeping it away from sunlight.

Don't say it was your mistake that you left it. Instead, tell them that you adhered to the guidelines that were mentioned by the powerbank manufacturer and that's all a layman could ever do, use things as they come recommended.

Don't challenge them by pointing towards the fine print, especially in this case. Point out the facts from these 3 points and ask the surveyor what he thinks. Document these facts over an email also once you've told this to the surveyor.

EDIT: PM me in case your discussions with the surveyor go nowhere.

Last edited by fine69 : 19th June 2017 at 14:57.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 16:25   #50
BANNED

First thing first I will remove all inflammable things from my car.

I usually keep deodorant can inside my glove-box I think it can easily explode under harsh temperature in Delhi. BTW which is the best place to keep it? Under seat or door pockets or to cover it with some anti inflammable material.

Last edited by oblivion : 19th June 2017 at 16:44.
oblivion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 16:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
First thing first I will remove all inflammable things from my car.

Anybody interested in knowing what all shouldn't be left in a parked car, read THIS.
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 22:48   #52
BHPian

Good stuff, time to remove that deodorant from the glove box.

Powerbanks and cars are a very risky bet especially with some of the cheaper Powerbanks where there is no safety or quality standard
Old 19th June 2017, 22:55   #53
BHPian

Feel sorry to see the damage. I hope you get your claim sorted out - I see some subject matter experts here sharing their experience.

Also, to limit the inside temperature, how about keeping the front right and left (or rear left) windows rolled down by, say 2 to 3 mm?

My office has an open parking, and few slots under trees as well. When I park under direct sun, I make sure that the windows are down by a few mm. I have observed that this surely makes a difference in the inside temperature.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 12:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Also, to limit the inside temperature, how about keeping the front right and left (or rear left) windows rolled down by, say 2 to 3 mm?
While some items should never be left inside the car (open windows or closed) given the dust & pollution in the air in Metros, its not a very good idea to leave car windows rolled down.

In the NCR region one doesn't know when its going to rain or when a dust storm kicks in. I'd never recommend leaving the windows rolled down even 2-3mm.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 20:06   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
While some items should never be left inside the car (open windows or closed) given the dust & pollution in the air in Metros, its not a very good idea to leave car windows rolled down.

In the NCR region one doesn't know when its going to rain or when a dust storm kicks in. I'd never recommend leaving the windows rolled down even 2-3mm.
True this is not recommended in Delhi's climate. You never know when such unforeseen circumstances may arise leading to damage to interiors.

I guess another option is removable sun blinds which can be used to save car from direct sunlight entering in cabin. I have seen some cars with very big sun blinds to be used on front an rear glass area which will keep inside temperature slightly under control.

Most Viewed