Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 13:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: Bajaj Allianz Drivesmart - Insurance with Telematics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Around a year back, Bajaj Allianz had launched a Drivesmart range of insurance policies which intended to use driving patterns and related data to help drive down insurance costs. (Related Thread) (Bajaj Allianz introduces Drive Smart: Insurance based on your driving pattern). My policy has been with Bajaj for the last few years and when it was time to renew the policy for my Vento, noticed this option pop up on the website. Thought will give it a shot and opted for the Drivesmart Premium Policy.
Hey Rajeev,

Nice and detailed review, i am also looking at purchasing this plan from bajaj allianz. I did not see the fuel efficiency shown in the app. Can you confirm this, also a screen shot of it would be usefull.
I am looking KMS/Litre.

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 10th October 2018 at 13:27. Reason: added more details
Old 11th October 2018, 17:56   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Hey Rajeev,

Nice and detailed review, i am also looking at purchasing this plan from bajaj allianz. I did not see the fuel efficiency shown in the app. Can you confirm this, also a screen shot of it would be usefull.
I am looking KMS/Litre.
No. It does not give a km/ltr figure.It gives details as below which are not really very useful or intuitive.

Review: Bajaj Allianz Drivesmart - Insurance with Telematics-screenshot_201810101506052.png

Review: Bajaj Allianz Drivesmart - Insurance with Telematics-screenshot_20181010150524.png
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 21:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

So a year has passed since I took this Telematics based insurance from Bajaj. Been more of a nice to have thing rather than serving any critical purpose. Have occasionally used it to go back in time and get some details of the trips I made. Couple of occasions when I opted for pick and drop for service, was able to track the car as well as driving behavior to an extent.

The main reason to take it was to see if the data would be used to reduce premiums during renewal. My usage was low in the last year- Just about 7-8000 km and considering my driving style, the device did not flag too many 'Sudden Brakes, Lane changes or Rash Accelerations'. When I took the device last year, the FAQ had said '..up to 30% reduction in premiums'

Interestingly, the current FAQ no longer states this. It only says the data can be used by the driver to understand and improve driver behavior.

As I went through the renewal process, I expected some info on the previous history and at least a call out on how it has helped or not. Unfortunately there was no indication of the same during the renewal. It was pretty much the standard flow for renewal-Evening asking if I wanted to opt for the Telematics. Since I already had the device, proceeded with the same option.

Also noticed that the Drivesmart Premium Package had a lower premium (22k) as compared to the non-telematics Driveassure Economy Plus which had a lower level of coverage. I don't believe that had anything to do with the fact that I had the device already. But was interesting none the less.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th November 2018 at 21:40.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:53   #34
BHPian

Bad driver? You may have to pay higher insurance

Dear bhpians,
It was while reading this article on today's ToI (November 25,2019), that this particular sentence caught my eye.
Link to the article:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/72215779.cms

It is mentioned that A person driving more kilometres by pressing the accelerator hard might be told to pay more premium as he is a 'risky' driver while a person who drives short distances and slow is given a discount as he is considered a 'safe' driver

What is the meaning of this?

We have to maintain a fairly higher average speed in order to cover long distances which means, we press the accelerator hard.
Does that mean those who drive long distances such as 800+ kilometres in day are 'risky' drivers?

What if you are involved in an accident for no fault of yours?
What if a vehicle jumps divider and hits you head on?
Does that make you a 'risky' driver?

Dear bhpians,
Do share your views on this.
Anyone with an expertise in insurance reading this, kindly clarify us.

Dear mods,
If this thread seems irrelevant or disparaging, feel free to remove it.
Thank you.

Last edited by Abhinav V : 25th November 2019 at 09:59.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:25   #35
BHPian

Re: Bad driver? You may have to pay higher insurance

Hi Abhinav

Usage based insurance ( Pay as you drive) is an idea leading auto insurers in India is going to toy with in coming days - thanks to technological advancement and advent of connected CARS! Usage to be monitored through a telematic device installed in the car.

In more mature western markets premium rates are already in consonance with your driving habits. This seems a more logical way of pricing than the existing practice of model based one. Hope this will promote safe driving habits.

But the implementation is still some distance away and in near future things will remain pretty much the same. Only bigger private players like icici Lombard and Baja Allianz has plans of launching it. Smaller players will wait and watch.

In any case motor insurance market is proliferated with ever mushrooming number of new players and this will remain a buyer's market in foreseeable future.

Disclaimer : I work in one of the general insurers!
PAkshay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 22:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the ICICI Lombard based IL Assist Telematics device for more than a year now on my Ignis. Given the lockdown situation, I have setup the notification for low battery which is very helpful. So in case I see the Battery health going down I can immediately attend to the car and ensure the battery is charged back or I drive some distance to ensure the battery gets charged due to the drive.

Here is a brief review:
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 08:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have been using the ICICI Lombard based IL Assist Telematics device for more than a year now on my Ignis. Given the lockdown situation, I have setup the notification for low battery which is very helpful. So in case I see the Battery health going down I can immediately attend to the car and ensure the battery is charged back or I drive some distance to ensure the battery gets charged due to the drive.
This is a good alert to have! Other than voltage, any other parameter? May be it is too much to ask on state of charge

Thanks a for detailed video review, this is helpful.

I have been using Royal Sundram but got frustrated with them after I could not renew it on time due to being struck with COVID and online renewal date lapsed. They are totally disorganized and so lame and lethargic. I have escalated to grievance but of no use.

And so switched to ICICI Lombard and heard about this device. When the sales rep told the device is absolutely free, I was damn sure nothing is free in this world. My data is the price I needed to pay

However, I do think the point from your experience are useful to understand driving patterns. Is there a way you can download the trip statistics in an Excel file or something with time vs speed data? Or it is only a pre-programmed analytics and you could only view summary? Is there something you can configure, like percentage of Torque etc...?
Pam81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 11:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
This is a good alert to have! Other than voltage, any other parameter? May be it is too much to ask on state of charge
Thanks a for detailed video review, this is helpful.
Glad you liked the review. It is only the voltage that is displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
However, I do think the point from your experience are useful to understand driving patterns. Is there a way you can download the trip statistics in an Excel file or something with time vs speed data? Or it is only a pre-programmed analytics and you could only view summary? Is there something you can configure, like percentage of Torque etc...?
Cannot comment much on driving patterns due to the lesser kilometers driven since last March given the lockdown situation. However the Speed variance and possibly the wrong gear parameters could help people to watch over these aspects. In my case, its an AMT, so the wrong gear can only point towards the actuator! Also, there seems to be no option to export data out of the app.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th August 2021 at 11:20.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 18:30   #39
BHPian

Hi @vsrivatsa

Are you still using the icici telematics device? My insurance is up for renewal and icici is offering 30% off if I opt for this device. I am unable to understand what is the catch here. I have many questions and I would appreciate if you or anyone who knows can answer.
1. Did your premiums increase/decrease during next renewal?
2. Is there any battery drain due to this device always plugged in?
3. Can I remove it after every drive and install before next one?
4. Will claim be rejected if any accident occurs when the device was not installed?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th May 2022, 18:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Hi @vsrivatsa

Are you still using the icici telematics device? My insurance is up for renewal and icici is offering 30% off if I opt for this device. I am unable to understand what is the catch here. I have many questions and I would appreciate if you or anyone who knows can answer.
1. Did your premiums increase/decrease during next renewal?
2. Is there any battery drain due to this device always plugged in?
3. Can I remove it after every drive and install before next one?
4. Will claim be rejected if any accident occurs when the device was not installed?

Thanks in advance
1. The premium decreased as I had no claim. Was it more than typical reduction ? - I don't know.

2. This is what I received over email from Car IQ - the guys who make the device: "The battery consumption is 70mA/hour. When the car ignition is turned off, the device goes in the sleep mode within 5-10 minutes and the battery consumption while in the sleep mode is very less, about 10mA. Be rest assured, the device is not capable to writing anything back to the car, hence it doesn't interfere with the car performance. It is a read-only device, and simply communicates all the car related activities to you via the mobile app IL Assist."

3. Yes. The wear and tear on OBD port may have some impacts - so overdoing it may not be good. Not sure how robust OBD Ports are for this type of usage.

4. Not sure of this - you may want to ask ICICI to clarify on this in writing.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 19th May 2022 at 18:52.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed