Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2019, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Car driven under water and won't start! Eligible for total loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
You can actually log everything the mechanic is doing, work details and pictures (or ask him to click pictures) and post them here.
Thanks , thats a very good suggestion. Will visit him this evening.
Old 15th July 2019, 09:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Will keep you guys posted
Any update on this? Expecting details on progress atleast.
GKG4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Apologies Friends, I should have written earlier. Was stuck in so many things that couldn't get to it, and then I thought why not drive a fair distance before commenting.

So I was expected to get the car on Saturday 13th July evening and as I was getting ready to summon an Ola got a call from the mechanic that my clutch bearings are making sound and it looks like they need replacement too (his guess, water seeped in there too) so he would deliver only on Sunday afternoon. Having waited for a week another day was fine with me and I agreed to pick it up on Sunday.

Reached there on Sunday and found finishing touches were being done on the car. The battery was put and connected and I was told to give a crank to the car. It came to life with its known feeble sound, nothing amiss and it was reassuring. However I have to say I was still nervous as hell.

Then I took the car out and me and the mechanic went out for a test drive. Drove for about 5 kilometers and was behaving absolutely similar to how it has always been. Happy with the work done, I paid up the garage and took the car home.

Have driven it for about 150 kilometers since than. I notice no difference, no additional or unwarranted sound, no lag in pick up or while maintaining speeds , the AC is as efficient as ever , no jerk while idling. Essentially the car has behaved exactly as it has before. Well and truly FINGERS CROSSED.

However, had to use the 12 Volt port for the first time this morning and realised it isn't receiving power. Guess they forgot to connect it while putting the battery in, so have to go back to him for this.

The total bill presented to me (literally) was Rs 54010. I wasn't expecting a bill so to speak, but he made one which I am including in this post. Honestly, haven't gone through the line items to figure out if I was charged nominal , under or exorbitantly for these parts and took it on face value given my beloved car is running well. Left a little over the bill with him to treat all his boys who worked on my car with a promise that from now on, he would be doing my service etc.

Thank you folks for your inputs all along, I am just happy it is behind me now. All the thoughts of selling this car are behind me too now, it is too lovely a car to be sold and it will remain with me. Even when I go and buy a Hector or Seltos (very early stage of contemplating the idea ).

Car driven under water and won't start! Eligible for total loss?-5a67ce3801474cf187482f53ef8729d6.png

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2019 at 20:06. Reason: Typos
New.Novice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 12:53   #19
BHPian

FYI,

Recent incident in Pune due to flash floods and cloud burst. My car (9.5 year old) was submerged for 72 hours in 6-10 feet of water and sludge.

Insurance Company Tata AIG, inspected the car and declared total loss. Will pay me IDV - 1000 Rs (Deductible Under Section I: 1,000.00)

2 Options:
1) They will auction the car for scrap (with cancelled policy), they will pay me auction amount + their payment to fulfill IDV payback.

2) I can pay 1 rupee more than the auction offer and retain the car (with cancelled policy)

Entire process is supposed to take 21-25 working days in the worst case.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed