Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Car driven under water and won't start! Eligible for total loss?

The first pre-monsson rains of Gurgaon led to massive water logging and I wrongly anticipated a ditch just half a kilometer where I live. As a result, the car went under water (water came right upto wind shield through the top of the bonnet ) and died. That was yesterday evening.

Today morning, I got the cat towed to Ford Service center (it's a Fiesta ZXi 2010 model). Their initial gut feel is total engine damage (1 eco sport and 1 Fiesta before me got diagnosed with the same), though the mechanic tested and said that engine is rotating (not seized) but can only be certain once the engine is opened and thoroughly tested. Their initial gut feel - 90% chance of engine damage and replacement. cost estimated in the vicinity of 1.75 lacs.

Now this car, at running condition , wont command more than 1.25 lacs tops. Met with the insurance guy there who connected me to a "reseller". His offer, Rs 35000 in the as-is condition. Spoke to someone who is very close to someone else who has vast inside experience of Ford Service. His suggestion, take the car out and go to a local mechanic (mechanic comes recommended, and has worked with Ford for many years). He confirmed that cost of Ford repair won't be less than 1.75 lacs.

Now the help that I need from you good folks are..

1. The car wasnt really submerged for a sustained duration. Can the losses still be this high?
2. I have standard comprehensive insurance for my car. Do they consider is under total loss? Someone mentioned that flood situation is not insured.
3. If the local mechanic does the job in say 15-20 K, should I keep the car or should now sell it?

PS - I has got the job card opened to get the car inspected in the morning to assess what the damage is, however, have called them to put it on hold upon hearing the advise. Should I still get it tested at Ford or not?

Looking for a quick help here and many thanks in advance.

l
New.Novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:05   #2
BHPian

re: Car driven under water and won't start! Eligible for total loss?

AFAIK if the car went under water and you did not crank the engine everything will be all right, as a precautionary measure you will have to change all the filters and fluids.

Did you check the engine oil dipstick if the oil had water in it?
Did you check the Air Filter?

If the engine was cranked and the water had entered the engine then there are very less chance of survival of your engine.

If you have the engine cover, only then I think the insurance policy will cover you.

If the outside mechanic/FNG can do a competent work then there is no harm in keeping the car.

Last edited by revvharder : 5th July 2019 at 13:08.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:12   #3
BHPian

Truth be told, I did crank once (I am kicking myself for doing it, but the natural instinct in the moment of panic took over). I am not entirely sure of the engine oil (i think it did not) but the air filter hose when disconnected had water in it. Spoke to the SA again and he is saying he got it tested yet again (not internally though) and can confirm engine needs replacement. I do not think I bought a separate engine protection cover.

So essentially I have only two options left. 1. Take it to the suggested local mechanic and hope for the best and 2. Sell it to the guy in 35K who I met at Harpreet Ford. Right?
Old 5th July 2019, 16:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Truth be told, I did crank once (I am kicking myself for doing it, but the natural instinct in the moment of panic took over). I am not entirely sure of the engine oil (i think it did not) but the air filter hose when disconnected had water in it. Spoke to the SA again and he is saying he got it tested yet again (not internally though) and can confirm engine needs replacement. I do not think I bought a separate engine protection cover.

So essentially I have only two options left. 1. Take it to the suggested local mechanic and hope for the best and 2. Sell it to the guy in 35K who I met at Harpreet Ford. Right?
Cranking the engine in such condition is the worst thing to do, but i agree that natural instinct and panic can take over. Sorry about your loss.

Now coming to the car, my suggestion is a bit different: Since the engine replacement has been confirmed by Ford, you really do not have any other option but to take the loss. Please take your car to a different mechanic / service centre and seek a second opinion (no, this not my final suggestion. Read ahead) to be sure that you are not being robbed. Once confirmed that engine replacement is the only option, go ahead with any of the below option.

The so-called re-seller that you met at the dealership is offering you 35k, but have you thought what will he do with your car? In all probability, he will refurbish it and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer for a margin. You have already lost your money and now the new owner will loose his money and sleep!

The other way is to legally scrap this car so that it does not get back on the roads. Follow this link for more details: https://cerorecycling.com/
I agree that if you scrap your vehicle, you will get lesser money but you will end the chain here only. Anyways what you are getting (35k) is pretty less and a further 10-15k loss (my guess) won't hurt much but it will save someone else from getting robbed and you will also contribute to nature in your own way.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 5th July 2019 at 16:17.
tarik.arora is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
You have already lost your money and now the new owner will loose his money and sleep!
This is some real valid suggestion, its not ideal to rob someone to make money.

Usually local mechanic do better job in such conditions as with any company, they will simply ask you to replace the Engine. (Less efforts and more money for companies)

Second opinion never hurts, and you might get lucky to get the engine fixed at very low price.
GKG4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 16:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Cranking the engine in such condition is the worst thing to do, but i agree that natural instinct and panic can take over. Sorry about your loss.

Now coming to the car, my suggestion is a bit different: Since the engine replacement has been confirmed by Ford, you really do not have any other option but to take the loss. Please take your car to a different mechanic / service centre and seek a second opinion (no, this not my final suggestion. Read ahead) to be sure that you are not being robbed. Once confirmed that engine replacement is the only option, go ahead with any of the below option.
I agree with this. During the floods back here in Kerala a lot of people were ripped off by Authorized service centers. I personally know a friend who just spent a little less of 15k from an FNG for his 2009 Swift which he had foolishly tried to drive through water. Flooded till his seats, he tried to crank once but someone stopped him. So get a second opinion. Maybe a good day in sun, fluid and filter changes might breathe new life into the car. As a community who love our cars don't let your companion go that easy.

Last edited by kraken : 5th July 2019 at 16:44. Reason: Spell check.
kraken is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you get an engine from a total loss car for about 15 to 20 K and replace the same. Will be easily available in Mumbai, dont know about Gujarat.
Old 5th July 2019, 17:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car went under water and wont start , eligible for Total Loss?

Other members have already listed the best possible options available to you.

If in your place, I would've got the car repaired at an FNG and used it till it fell apart. In working condition, chances are that you'll get a fair value for the car if the repair job turns out to be unsatisfactory.

On another note, if you want least damage to your pocket, you can always work something out if insurance is due for renewal in a couple of months from now. You know what I'm talking about
Old 5th July 2019, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The first pre-monsson rains of Gurgaon led to massive water logging and I wrongly anticipated a ditch just half a kilometer where I live. As a result, the car went under water (water came right upto wind shield through the top of the bonnet ) and died. That was yesterday evening.

l

My recent experience -

I was quoted a accident repair job by company service center in tune of Rs. 1.88 Lakhs. Got the same fixed by FNG for 57K, got insurance claim settled for around 36K & had to shell out 21K from my pocket.

The company service center told me the most the insurance company will settle is about 50% of the total claim.

The company service center pushed me to go for total loss as I had an IDV of Rs 1.7 Lakhs.

So please take a second opinion. It is definitely worth it you would be looking at following expenses -

Car towing charges to FNG & assessment charges by FNG. This will definitely give you peace of mind as you would wonder was there a better option.

Do go to the FNG which you trust or have a reference, generally in such scenarios for a few weeks the service centers would have their hands full. This also is an opportunity for them to make the most of it . After all what is sad for us, it is a money making opportunity for others.

Also speak to the company service center and ask them about assessment charges in case if you deny to get it fixed there.

Hope my 2 cents help. Please keep us posted on further what happens.
freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 18:58   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions. So here’s how the day has unfolded.

Went to the recommended mechanic and his first reaction was, sir this car doesn’t deserve a scrap sale. Yes, I have kept it best condition under the fair means. He kind of reinforced the love I have for this car. More than anything, the thought that has troubled me the most whole day was, “was it the last time I drove it yesterday". And I just couldn’t put my head around it. She is family and a tiger inside. How is it that she would go so tamely just taking in some water. More than anyone, you guys would understand the pain it was to fight this thought.

Cut to my second trip in a towing truck to this mechanic. His assessment, he doesn’t foresee and need for a work on engine head so it’s “half engine work” in local lingo. He is certain of bringing it back to how it was with no one able to tell any difference at all post repairs. He is equally confident that I can continue to drive it for rest of its life which is April 2024. On my apprehension of driving a car with a repaired engineer, he is willing to bet his life that ideally I won’t even remember any such thing happened, and in case he is taking the responsibility to correct any niggles that might come .

I don’t know if it was his confidence or my love for the car. I am writing this at the backseat of an Ola. The car is with him and if everything goes as per plan, I will be driving it back home around the same time next week.

Total damages expected, north of 40 and south of 50.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th July 2019 at 17:40. Reason: Please ONLY use spaces after punctuation points, not before. Thanks
New.Novice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I don’t know if i was his confidence or my love for the car. I am writing this at the backseat of an Ola. The car is with him and if everything goes as per plan, I will be driving it back home around the same time next week.
Needless to say, keep us posted. You made the right choice mate.
Old 7th July 2019, 10:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My uncle had a Santro Xing that got submerged in the Mumbai floods of 2005. He got it refurbished from Hyundai. Since it had been parked, the engine was safe, but most interior stuff had to be replaced.

I bought the car from him in 2008 and drove it for another five years and another 40k kms without a hitch.

If you plan to keep it, I suggest you get it repaired from Ford and claim it under insurance, and ask Ford to provide a warranty on the new parts they put in. The risk in this case is transferred to Ford.

If you get it repaired outside, you may be able to do it cheaper, but at a greater risk to yourself.

If this is the only reason you are thinking of selling, compare the pros and cons of shelling out another few lacs for a new car vs spending a bit of money to get the same car back on the road.

With NGT the life will anyway not be perpetual, so if by spending a few grand the car lasts you the distance, why not?
Old 8th July 2019, 10:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car driven under water and won't start! Eligible for total loss?

Quote:
2. I have standard comprehensive insurance for my car. Do they consider is under total loss? Someone mentioned that flood situation is not insured.
I think you are jumping to conclusions very soon.

Your comprehensive Insurance covers Floods, check sr no 5. Your case is inundation rather than floods.
Quote:
LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE INSURED(OWN DAMAGE)
The company will indemnify the insured against loss or damage to the vehicle insured hereunder and / or its accessories whilst thereon
i. by fire explosion self ignition or lightning;
ii. by burglary housebreaking or theft;
iii. by riot and strike;
iv. by earthquake (fire and shock damage);
v. by flood typhoon hurricane storm tempest inundation cyclone hailstorm frost;
vi. by accidental external means;
vii. by malicious act;
viii. by terrorist activity;
ix. whilst in transit by road rail in land-waterway lift elevator or air;
x. by landslide rockslide.
I would suggest to get a confirmation from Ford regarding the damage repair cost. Let Ford & Insurance co come forward to confirm the Total loss applicability. Pls confirm if the IDV is correctly calculated from your end. I would not suggest to repair from FNG as Insurance cannot be claimed with them unless they are on the Insurer's approved list.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I think you are jumping to conclusions very soon.

Your comprehensive Insurance covers Floods, check sr no 5. Your case is inundation rather than floods.

I would suggest to get a confirmation from Ford regarding the damage repair cost. Let Ford & Insurance co come forward to confirm the Total loss applicability. Pls confirm if the IDV is correctly calculated from your end. I would not suggest to repair from FNG as Insurance cannot be claimed with them unless they are on the Insurer's approved list.
Hi, there. I was under the same impression all along and tried for it (not very pressingly though). Shown a copy of my insurance to SA at Ford and unless he was grossly incompetent or was trying to pull wool over my eyes he said this doesn't cover engine damage. I still went to the insurance section on the other side of building which has Harpreet's Showroom and met with insurance guy (who later turned out to be nothing but a middle man brokering used car deals sitting inside harpreet ford) and got the same answer that insurance woulnd't cover it. Retrospectively, I agree that I could have done a better job of due diligence. But the trauma coupled with something very pressing in office which needed me there made me just go with the given solution and I left my car at harpreet ford to be at work while they promised they will do a "deep inspection" of the engine to ascertain if engine needs replacement or it is a repairable situation. As per the job card it is called "Vehicle Hydro Lock Condition - Carry Out General checkup" and costs Rs 2950 inclusive of GST.

To your second point, when I decided to take it to FNG, I obviously have gone up with the acknowledgement that insurance have no role to play here. Whatever comes up, I am bearing the cost. Ideally , yes I would love to have something coming up from Insurance but I don't see that happening. Made two calls during the day. First to New India Assurance customer care, the insurance provider, and for whatever it is worth the girl gave me nothing but scripted answer which told me nothing. The crux was that Engine is not covered in the standard insurance plan unless it is a case of accident or theft . Also, total loss can't be claimed on IDV it is on percentage basis for plastic , glass etc. The second call was made to an old acquaintance who is now running full time business of one-stop shop for all kinds of insurance. His opinion was also that unless I meet the surveyor separately and work out an "arrangement" with him , insurance would do nothing here. Goes without saying, I would never do that.

On an unrelated note (or may be related), this fried of mine strongly suggest never to buy an insurance (any kind) online. Always go with a broker like him , in his words, what you save buying online is minuscule (not even comparable) with the value this broker can bring in in situations when you actually need to use our insurance.

The car is still with mechanic. Spoke to him last night. He has taken down the engine and has confirmed the head is intact, pistons and rings needs replacement and he should be done by Thursday. Will keep you guys posted
Old 8th July 2019, 11:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions. So here’s how the day has unfolded.

Went to the recommended mechanic and his first reaction was , sir this car doesn’t deserve a scrap sale. Yes , I have kept it best condition under the fair means . He kind of reinforced the love I have for this car. More than anything , the thought that has troubled me the most whole day was , “was it the last time I drove it yesterday “. And I just couldn’t put my head around it . She is family and a tiger inside . How is it that she would go so tamely just taking in some water . More than anyone , you guys would understand the pain it was to fight this thought .

Cut to my second trip in a towing truck to this mechanic. His assessment , he doesn’t foresee and need for a work on engine head so it’s “half engine work” in local lingo. He is certain of bringing it back to how it was with no one able to tell any difference at all post repairs . He is equally confident that I can continue to drive it for rest of its life which is April 2024. On my apprehension of driving a car with a repaired engineer , he is willing to bet his life that ideally I won’t even remember any such thing happened , and in case he is taking the responsibility to correct any niggles that might come .

I don’t know if i was his confidence or my love for the car. I am writing this at the backseat of an Ola. The car is with him and if everything goes as per plan, I will be driving it back home around the same time next week.

Total damages expected , north of 40 and south of 50
That looks like a good idea. But please go to the garage periodically, if possible and check on the work updates and pester the mechanic with questions. Make sure he is using good branded parts, if they are replacing the piston rings, etc. Try to build a rapport with the mech, this way he will try to put a bit more care in the repairs and won't try to rip you off. You can actually log everything the mechanic is doing, work details and pictures (or ask him to click pictures) and post them here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks