Team-BHP - Go for a loan OR pay upfront? Pros and Cons?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Car Loans & Insurance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/)
-   -   Go for a loan OR pay upfront? Pros and Cons? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-loans-insurance/21138-go-loan-pay-upfront-pros-cons.html)

Hi,

I am pretty new to the car buying stuff. Enlighten me with your valuable suggestion.

What are the pros and cons - buying a new car by paying the full amount upfront or leaning towards loan

sn

Check out this section for some complementary advice -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/

cya
R

Dont know much about cars, but economically, paying upfront in this kind of market is always much better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalpeshc (Post 369309)
Dont know much about cars, but economically, paying upfront in this kind of market is always much better.

Yes... But then again.. You've got to have the full amount...

Well... Many people takel loans cause its easier for them to pay the EMI way, than save money and pay all in one go...

Its always to have liquidity. Assume you have 5 lakhs as savings and you purchase a car by paying full amount of 4 lakhs. You are left with a lakh only. But if you pay 1 lakhs and rest is financed, you may want some cash available for some emergency. Or invest in housing after a year or so. I hope it makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navdeep (Post 369325)
Its always to have liquidity. Assume you have 5 lakhs as savings and you purchase a car by paying full amount of 4 lakhs. You are left with a lakh only. But if you pay 1 lakhs and rest is financed, you may want some cash available for some emergency. Or invest in housing after a year or so. I hope it makes sense.

Exactly... If you have loads of income, and have ready cash to pay, then paying full amount makes sense...

For all those who buys cars with the maximum budget they can afford... It is always easy on them to go the EMI way...

Assume you have 8L.

Option 1: Spend all 8L & buy 8L car. After 5 years, you have only the car.

Option 2: Pay 1L as downpayment and take 7L loan (max funding) @ rate 10% for 5 years. You will pay 10.8L to bank in 5 years.
Invest 7L in mutual fund. Assuming the fund returns 20% every year, in 5 years, you will end up with 14L. So after 5 years, you have car & 3.2L cash.

Caveat emptor: The fund should return 20% every year for 5 years.

If a car is a requirement, then go for the EMI.
If one is looking at a car as a desirable thing or as a luxury thing, then its better go for single down-payment way.

By the way, in the second case to be safe, go for the car which is 25% of your anual income. That is to buy a car of 3 lakhs, your anual income should be 12 lakhs.
(or)

Something like this, apart from your monthly income, if you happen to get an anual bonus of 3 lakhs you can go for the car. I know people here would be thrashing the hell out of me, after this. But considering the scratches, accidents, ICE, fuel bills, maintenance, depreciation.... there will not be a heart burn if the above said ratio is observed.
Note: For detailed costs check this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...tml#post303394

Businessmen!!, any insights into what I have said??

P.S. That was just my holy opinion. Anyone can differ/agree with it.

Quote:

Businessmen!!, any insights into what I have said??
A car is not an investment. For us entrepreneurs and businessmen, EMI is the best option:

1. Why should I lock money into a car when I can use the same for business expansion?

2. Its way easier to get a cheaper car loan than a cheap business loan.

3. Even the interest that we pay on car EMIs is tax-deductible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 369377)
3. Even the interest that we pay on car EMIs is tax-deductible.

Please throw some light on this

When you take a loan, you pay say x% annual interest.

Had you not taken the loan, you can invest the money in some other place with say y% annual interest (return)

If x < y then
take loan and invest the money in hand elsewhere
else if x > y then
don't take loan, pay upfront [if you can afford]

If you can't afford paying upfront, then there is no choice and you've to take loan anyway.

Hmmm...Paying the full amount on your own without taking a loan increases your chance of getting flagged by the IT dept. A friend of mine payed by cheque the entire amount and then received summons from the IT dept to establish where he got the funds from.

Thank you very much for all your valuable suggestion.

Can some one throw insight on leasing a car as well.

What are the precaution's a NRI has to take before leasing or taking a loan and what are other bargain points to be considered at Dealers location or at Bank.

Your vaulable suggestion are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SN

Avoiding IT department's queries is one main reason why it is better to go for loan, if you are a salaried person and your known source of income may not appear much to the IT department. Of course if you are a business tycoon, you can get away by paying full amount from your own money.

Put less of your money in a depreciating assent and more in an appreciating asset.
If you spend 2 lac on a car and try to sell it in the open market after 2 days it will not fetch you 2 lacs. That simply means your money depreciated by x% in two days. And as the vehicle gets old, it only depreciates further. So even if you got all the cash to buy a car, don't buy it with that money... get someone else (read bank) to fund it and you can invest your money elsewhere like MF's or pre-payment of a home loan etc. Moreover, you are only paying an EMI which is a small outflow of your total income... so you might buy a car and spend only about 50K upfront and the rest over a period of time. Consider that you might also get a good hike and increase your source of income over the loan period, the EMI might become easy.

I've seen people trying to take a big home loan and try to get rid of their car loans... I'd rather try and pay up home loans ASAP and make sure I've benefited from the appreciation of my asset and not pay interest to the bank!