Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

View Poll Results: What do you do?
I wont use my insurance - I haggle for other party to pay for 50 - 100% of repairs 31 11.97%
I use my insurance - But I try to get the NCB part from the other party 38 14.67%
I use my insurance - But the difference amount will be paid by the other party 65 25.10%
I use my insurance - I don't want to haggle 119 45.95%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 2.32%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 17:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Your view on using insurance in an accident for no fault of yours?

In case of not my fault I would haggle and try to get 50~100% cost of the damage. However it is purely situation based. You don't want to fight with a pig where he enjoys the most.

On the question of insurance & accident I wanted some insight as to why is it required to leave your vehicle at the police station in the name of investigation?
This is the first thing you will hear from of the Cops the minute you tell them you want to file a complaint, and the easiest way out is that they ask you to settle the matter mutually with the other party.

Is it really mandatory to leave the vehicle at the nearest Police Station while the Cops do their investigation?
Old 13th June 2020, 19:18   #32
BANNED

One Doubt:

If I accidentally scrapes the bumper of the car in the front, how can I use my 3rd party insurance to pay for the damages to the affected party?

What is the process involved? Should I file a FIR or is it between two insurance companies?
Old 24th August 2020, 17:28   #33
BHPian

Opted #4 - spend money but save energy is my mantra!
I always buy B2B, just dont think about NCB (few grands afterall) and I get year long peace of mind.
Old 24th August 2020, 22:46   #34
BHPian

This is why we buy insurance. Use it.

Imagine if it's our fault and the opp party is insisting on using option 1 how would we feel ?

I believe arguments or road rage is definitely not worth it even if the opp guy pays for the damages as mostly no one intentionally does accidents.

Insurance is precisely bought for scenarios like these.
Old 24th August 2020, 23:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

For me it depends on the location and situation at hand.

For someone who admits and apologizes I let them go and claim through my own insurance irrespective of the location.

However if it's something in NCR I will take the safer route and claim through my own insurance since road-rage here escalates very very fast. In Kolkata, I would fight for 100% of the repair amount if required depending on the attitude of the second party.
Old 26th August 2020, 01:56   #36
BHPian

The purpose of insurance is to pay for damages. So anything other than "I will pay with my insurance" doesn't make sense. Whose fault it is, is subjective. Most of the time, it takes 2 hands to clap. And the NCB is not a huge amount. Why do we even have first party and third party insurance if everyone resorts to haggle for pittance in the form of NCB? No one is going to give you an award for not claiming insurance. High time we removed the emotional part from an accident

Last edited by rageshgr : 26th August 2020 at 01:58.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:35   #37
BHPian

Accidents happen. Sometimes it’s our fault, sometimes it’s theirs. We pay insurance premiums to mitigate ourselves from costly repairs. When accidents happen, I think it’s only right to shake hands with the other party and claim damages from your insurance and forget about NCB. I think trying to get NCB from another party is wrong and stupid. At the end what calculation do you use, considering NCB keeps increasing?

And remember, insurance firms offer NCB protection, bumper to bumper etc. So buy add on polices to be extra secure, and walk away from an accident with a hand shake.

Last edited by thirdmainroad : 27th August 2020 at 19:37.
Old 17th September 2020, 06:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

I drive very carefully when in India and have had no road accidents till date. This story pertains to accidental damage of other sorts. I have the best neighbours in town (Sic!). There is this independent bungalow to the left of my house and the solid teak wood home window just 'flew off' one day and lands on my Hyundai, damaging the roof. I took my dad and relatives, and whoever I could muster that day - fought like crazy with him (he was in denial all along) and created a scene outside his house. He agreed to cover all additional costs that come to me (over and above the insurance cover). He even bought me a brand new car cover, costing 6 Grand. I repaired, and later sold that car. Now, recently another neighbour demolished his building in the tony neighbourhood, and has brought in the big gun equipment. He wants to build a 'palace' there, but the street is really narrow at 20 feet and it just cant accommodate these big machines. I have no problem with that but one day his massive Mercedes Benz 'bulldozer/tipper', rammed my beautiful car - pretty hard. To its credit the car has taken the hit very well, owing to the solid build, with nothing great to show. But there is a tiny dent and that needs to be addressed. When I first accosted him, he asked for proof that his truck had indeed damaged the vehicle. I took this home CCTV footage/clip which the camera had captured and armed with this evidence charged at him verbally, literally screaming murder. Watching the footage and the careless manner in which the truck operator drove into my car made me angrier. I take immaculate care to maintain my cars, and a scratch on any of them is seen like a scratch on my body and self. That's how serious I'm about my babies. Every vehicle that I have disposed look spanking new, like they have just rolled off the showroom. So, I accused him, with evidence in hand, but he was totally unmoved (like a seasoned offender). He just doesn't bat an eyelid. All he does it is fish out the contractors number, and says 'here, take this, handle it'. Now it's my problem to face. By now my blood was boiling at his high handedness, and wanted to teach him a lesson. The least I expect is for him to speak to me politely, say 'sorry' - call the contractor and 'hand-hold' me during the process of repair. Show some remorse at least. Since I have relatives in the Police i got a posse to his house (two vans, eight cops) and he still maintains to them that he is nowhere to be blamed. The guy and his family were completely shaken though, and it had the desired effect. Now, they're going about things far more diligently and being polite to neighbours. I'd have filed a FIR and put a stay on all activities in that site, if the cops had not caught the contractor and driver. The CCTV has captured the number plate in clear definition, so there is no room to escape. The contractors insurance will cover the damage. The extent to which people are unmoved by others' damage/trauma, in spite of it being their mistake, surprises me. It was a hard lesson, but I hope all the parties concerned have learnt something.
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 10:29   #39
BHPian

I have asked this in another thread where a member had posted about his experience recently and even here I don't even see the option in the poll - Why doesn't anyone use the third party insurance part of the insurance to pay for the damage they might have caused unintentionally?
Isn't that why it is compulsory to have third-party insurance. Can anyone who has the knowledge of how third-party insurance works in India help enlighten everyone so we can think about using it in cases when we are at fault. Does it necessarily have to entail getting an FIR registered? Why isn't it as simple as normal insurance where I call my insurer and let them know that I have caused an accident and they will have to take care of the vehicles I have damaged.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 17th September 2020 at 10:33.
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Can anyone who has the knowledge of how third-party insurance works in India help enlighten everyone so we can think about using it in cases when we are at fault. Does it necessarily have to entail getting an FIR registered?
While I don't have personal experience in this regard, I was going through FAQs in the Maruti Insurance website and this is what it states -
Quote:
8. What is to be done if there is any injury and / or property damage to any third party?
Lodge an FIR with the nearest policy authorities and obtain a copy.
Provide a photocopy of your certificate of insurance to the affected third party.
Do not compensate the affected third party on the spot.
Inform insurance company office / Maruti Insurance Broking at the dedicated customer support desk: 3377 4477 (prefix 011/022/033/044)/local office of the insurance company.
I believe FIR would be necessary only in the case of injury.

Most Viewed