Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 09:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal

Here is IRDAI press release on this matter.

Quote:
Ref. No: 2020 Date: 26-08-2020 Press Release regarding valid PUC certificate at the time of renewal of motor vehicle insurance
1. The Authority had issued a circular on 6th July, 2018 conveying the directive of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in WP(C) No.13029 of 1985 (M.C. Mehta Vs Union of India) to all General Insurance companies to ensure that the vehicle must have a valid PUC certificate at the time of renewal of motor vehicle insurance. This has been reiterated through another circular on 20th August, 2020.
2. However, there are some misleading media reports to the effect that if there is no valid PUC certificate at the time of accident, claim under a motor insurance policy is not payable.
3. It is hereby clarified that not holding a valid PUC certificate is not a valid reason for denying any claim under a motor insurance policy.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-irda1.png  

airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:56   #17
BHPian

I am not surprised... even my gf has made it mandatory to show my PUC certificate before I get into bed.

I suppose it is a good step towards countering global warming and in my case maintain a relationship.
click is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Why is our PUC certification only valid for 6 months when developed nations have them lasting years?

Just another way to mint money from public ofcourse.
I'm getting the PUC renewed for 1 year since the last 2 renewal. (Bangalore - Diesel Car). Whichever PUC centers have updated the software, the validity is 1 year.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I'm getting the PUC renewed for 1 year since the last 2 renewal. (Bangalore - Diesel Car). Whichever PUC centers have updated the software, the validity is 1 year.
Validity is one year for BS-IV. This is written on the certificate itself. Many of us are not aware of this and emission testing centres are taking advantage by putting the vehicle as BS-III, thereby reducing the validity to six months.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-puc.jpg  

airbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Why is our PUC certification only valid for 6 months when developed nations have them lasting years?

Just another way to mint money from public ofcourse.
I have gotten 1 year valid PUC for my car but a mere 3 months for my scooty although my friend got his bike's for 6 months so i dont understand the difference.

We should instead have something like the MOT in the U.K. wherein every car's 'fitness' is measured and it'll ensure that cars are truly fit to run, irrespective of their age.
Old 6th September 2020, 15:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Validity is one year for BS-IV. This is written on the certificate itself. Many of us are not aware of this and emission testing centres are taking advantage by putting the vehicle as BS-III, thereby reducing the validity to six months.
I was not aware of this at all! It was only after this post that I took a look at the PUC certificate and, to my surprise, my BS-IV vehicle was put as BS-III!
PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-adobe-scan-06-sep-2020page001.jpg
Old 6th September 2020, 16:45   #22

Quote:
I have a VW Polo Petrol Feb 2015 model. I have checked all papers (registration, Invoice etc ) and do not find clarity on the engine type. I definitely remember being told that the vehicle is a BS-IV model. However the PUC centre tends to issue certificate as BS-III only.

How do I confront them with data ?
Old 6th September 2020, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ideally PUC must be done on the vehicle at the authorised service center itself to save the hassle of running around searching for a PUC Center.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 20:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I was not aware of this at all! It was only after this post that I took a look at the PUC certificate and, to my surprise, my BS-IV vehicle was put as BS-III!
I got my vehicle tested yesterday. I told the guy that mine is BS-IV and I must get one year validity. He asked me about validity of current certificate and I have shown him existing certificate with one year validity

PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-puc.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Abhisek View Post
This is a tricky question for cars with different emission norms. Mine is late 2015 launch car with only BS-IV available. I heard that some PUC test centres demand that it is to be written on the RC. While I don't have BS-IV written on my RC, but I have it on my invoice.

PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-tuvinvoice.jpg

Last edited by airbus : 6th September 2020 at 20:51.
Old 6th September 2020, 21:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Abhisek View Post
Quote:
This is a tricky question for cars with different emission norms. Mine is late 2015 launch car with only BS-IV available. I heard that some PUC test centres demand that it is to be written on the RC. While I don't have BS-IV written on my RC, but I have it on my invoice.
I too have it on my invoice but most importantly, after shuffling through documents today, I found this certificate. Other than that, I have a green BS-IV sticker on the windshield.

PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-img_20200906_2059367081_1.jpg
TaurusSHO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 21:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
What happens if the car's insurance and PUC are both lapsed? to get a PUC, the car needs to be driven to the the PUC center, which cannot be done legally if the insurance is expired
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
Agreed. Insurance can be bought online or through phone.
For PUC we need to visit the PUC centre. If the owner is not in his/her hometown for some reason(given the current circumstances), the person cannot renew the insurance in between and also when the person returns, he/she can face 2 challans now while going for the PUC.

What if the vehicle is lying unused as the owner is not in the town and PUC expires?
If any damage occurs to the vehicle parked and unused, can the insurance company deny the claim as the vehicle was not on public roads/running?
This has now become another headache for me. My PUC recently expired and I didn't bother to renew it since the bike is lying unused since March 20 (besides I had not stepped out of the apartment even once till I came to my hometown two weeks back).

My insurance expires at the end of October and I always renew my insurance beforehand. I was planning to do it this year too even if the vehicle will not be used.

Now, I am not sure what can be done. If a mobile PUC centre is available in Bengaluru that would be good because I can't ride the bike without insurance.
Old 7th September 2020, 00:14   #27

Will this have an impact on installing a free flow exhaust, I mean with the cat con removed ? Just curious.

I was contemplating getting a automech free flow for my Swift petrol, spoke with Automech Mumbai and they said my 2015 model has 3 variations and they will not be able to ship one to Chennai.

That was a bummer and now this 😩
Old 8th September 2020, 12:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
This has now become another headache for me. My PUC recently expired and I didn't bother to renew it since the bike is lying unused since March 20 (besides I had not stepped out of the apartment even once till I came to my hometown two weeks back).

My insurance expires at the end of October and I always renew my insurance beforehand. I was planning to do it this year too even if the vehicle will not be used.
Just got an SMS from my insurance provider Royal Sundaram that I can't renew my insurance with them without PUC. My PUC expired the day before yesterday.

I am now in my hometown with a bike insurance that will expire on 24th October and for the first time I guess i won't be able to get the insurance renewed before expiration.

I wasn't going to get it renewed from Royal Sundaram anyways considering the thread that came out earlier this year https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-now-what.html (EcoSport topples & suffers structural damage, but Royal Sundaram wants to repair the car. Now what?).

This is starting to look like the chicken or egg situation. This Government and the current SC are going to ensure that they screw over the middle class even if the pandemic doesn't.
Old 8th September 2020, 16:18   #29
BHPian

I have seen two different stories in two cities I have been living in last few years - Mumbai and Bangalore.

In Mumbai, most of the PUCs will just give you a certificate if you pay them the fee. We see these old Omni cars painted in yellow standing on road sides of most highways and they will hand out PUC certificates without going through trouble of testing your vehicle. Some places would not even bother to see if you have got the vehicle, just hand over the old certificate and get a new one made.

My experience in Bangalore has been slightly better. All the PUC centers are in one corner of a gas station and it is imperative for them to be connected to the system and they have to take a pic of number plate and insert those rods to capture emissions before a certificate gets generated.
Old 10th September 2020, 17:54   #30
BHPian

I always renew my insurance online.
Now with this norm, does the insurance portal pull the data from central repository of PUC or I need to upload the photo manually?

Mine is due in October.. Has someone tried renewal ?? Please throw some light.

Most Viewed