Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 13:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
I always renew my insurance online.
Now with this norm, does the insurance portal pull the data from central repository of PUC or I need to upload the photo manually?

Mine is due in October.. Has someone tried renewal ?? Please throw some light.
I renewed mine which was with HDFC Ergo, online just about when this fiasco started. For HDFC Ergo, you have to tick a checkbox which states something like you have a valid PUC at the time of renewal. So, I cancelled the process, got the PUC check done and then did the renewal. It helps that PUC done anywhere in India is valid. You do not have to upload any document/proof of PUC for renewal.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:27   #32
BHPian

After reading this thread, I immediately logged in to the Oriental Insurance app to renew my motorcycle insurance, due to expire on September 21. I was not asked for PUC, and managed to renew my insurance.
Old 11th September 2020, 14:41   #33
BHPian

What next? Will we have to declare the air pressure in all tyres (within specified limits) before being "granted" insurance?
Not having a valid PUC can be interpreted as driving an unfit vehicle on a public road, a fact that insurance companies could well be using to deny claims of such vehicle owners. In this respect, it would protect the owners during their claim settlement. But then, any sensible person should ensure that all legal requirements to drive a vehicle should be met at all times, and not just during insurance/RC renewal.
Zen2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 18:59   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I renewed my car's insurance online on 30/9 without the mandatory submission of the PUC certificate. The PUC which expired in June needs to be done now, oh well, COVID did us all in.

PS - mparivahan app has my PUC and insurance validity on record.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th October 2020 at 19:01.
Old 19th December 2020, 06:47   #35
BHPian

For anyone from Karnataka looking for their vehicle PUC certificates online, please refer to http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ValidationRegno.aspx.

I could not find the PUC details of my bike (I am out of state now with my bike insurance expiring in 3 days) when I checked the parivahan website and was stuck with my vehicle insurance renewal. Above site had the necessary details (using vehicle registration number) and I was able to renew my insurance on time.

Also, just a reminder, all PUC certificates expiring after Feb 1 and before Dec 31 2020 will remain active till 31 December 2020.
Royal Sundaram did not allow me to proceed without PUC certificate.

Quote:
The Indian government had announced in August this year that vehicle documents that expired after 1 February, 2020 and before 31 December, 2020 will remain valid till the end of this year. This was done by the government as COVID-19 induced lockdown had caused government offices to remain closed or operate in a limited capacity. Because of this, many motorists could not get their vehicle documents renewed, compelling the government to extend the validity of all motor vehicle documents till 31 December. The documents which are now valid till the end of 2020 include driving license, vehicle registration and fitness certificate, pollution under control (PUC) certificate, etc. However, according to the General Insurance Council, this extension of validity does not apply to the motor insurance policy.
https://www.timesnownews.com/auto/fe...ecember/673567

Last edited by srikanthmadhava : 19th December 2020 at 06:49.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed