Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal

The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) has issued a circular that mandates a valid pollution under control (PUC) certificate for the renewal of a motor insurance policy.

PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-irdai.jpg

IRDAI has also stated that PUC will be essential for all claims and that insurance companies will not cover any damages if the vehicle does not have a valid PUC at the time of the accident.

The IRDAI circular comes in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling, which directed insurance companies to not insure a vehicle unless it had a valid PUC on the date of renewal of the policy. The regulator has asked insurance companies to ensure that the direction of the apex court is followed scrupulously with special focus on compliance in Delhi-NCR.

Thanks to Sahil S for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2020 at 18:10. Reason: typo
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:23   #2
BHPian

Re: PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
IRDAI has also stated that PUC will be essential for all claims and that insurance companies will not cover any damages if the vehicle does have a valid PUC at the time of the accident.
Kerala Police made a post on Facebook that said that this part of the claim is false. Damages will be covered even if you do not have a valid PUC. The post can be found here.
francisvellara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nowhere in the circular does it say that claims can be invalidated if the insured cannot produce a valid PUC at the time of claim. I guess that part is a figment of imagination and rumour mongering courtesy The WhatsApp University of India.

A valid PUC is required on the date of inception of a policy. Even the circular says - to be implemented in NCR. Our over enthusiastic insurance companies have made it mandatory pan India. If only the CPCB showed the same level of interest in actually curbing crop burning, mining and the likes which are the real cause of pollution, our citizens would get proper air quality to breathe.
longhorn is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why is our PUC certification only valid for 6 months when developed nations have them lasting years?

Just another way to mint money from public ofcourse.
Nithesh_M is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 14:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Why is our PUC certification only valid for 6 months when developed nations have them lasting years?

Just another way to mint money from public ofcourse.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of clarity and publicity around guidelines. I have been able to get 1 yr certification too but on occasions, the PUC center guy has told me that he can provide it only for 6 months. One center even said that it can provide it only for 3 months
interest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Another link in the Indian Express which confirms the news.

Link : https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-6566299/lite/
Old 24th August 2020, 17:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interest View Post
I think the biggest problem is the lack of clarity and publicity around guidelines. I have been able to get 1 yr certification too but on occasions, the PUC center guy has told me that he can provide it only for 6 months. One center even said that it can provide it only for 3 months
Purely to get more business. Less validity means more times you have to visit the testing center thereby more money. You have to make sure for what emission norm they are really testing for. BS4 until last year has validity of 1 year.

Adding info on my saga to get PUC,
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4690558 (PUC - Pollution Under Control ?)

Last edited by SideView : 24th August 2020 at 17:40. Reason: Adding more info
Old 24th August 2020, 17:34   #8
BHPian

Received this today.

Looks purely like a move to help the PUC centre owners hit by the Covid19 pandemic.

The insurance policy we purchase is a contract with set terms and conditions. And then signed by both the parties - the insurer and the insured. How can someone alter the terms and conditions on a legal document without the approval of both parties?

If it's a new condition they want to add they will be able to enforce it only from the next renewal.

A insurance company refusing to cover damages for lack of PUC can be challenged in court because that was not mentioned at the time of signing the contract. END OF DISCUSSION.
Attached Thumbnails
PUC mandatory for motor insurance renewal-screenshot_20200824161514.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbits : 24th August 2020 at 17:40.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Nowhere in the circular does it say that claims can be invalidated if the insured cannot produce a valid PUC at the time of claim. I guess that part is a figment of imagination and rumour mongering courtesy The WhatsApp University of India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Another link in the Indian Express which confirms the news.

Link : https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-6566299/lite/

Turns out Indian Express has deleted the paragraph about PUC being required for claims. You'll see it on Google search but not on the page itself.

A rumour then after all !
Jag4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 05:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Purely academic discussion for me.

Across my 22 years of owning 9+ cars, I have never ever let a PUC expire. Have always renewed it 7 days before the expiry date by setting reminders in my personal and official calendars.

I am surprised at the relatively low awareness in BLR about the PUC rules. Some of my drivers were amused by 'Sir's' insistence on renewal - a couple counselled me to save my time and money as it's not required :-).

Refer this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dec...n-testing.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th August 2020 at 05:42.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 08:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please confirm if this is true?
Old 25th August 2020, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

What happens if the car's insurance and PUC are both lapsed? to get a PUC, the car needs to be driven to the the PUC center, which cannot be done legally if the insurance is expired
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 14:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Can someone please confirm if this is true?
As per couple of people who deals in insurance this is true. In any case why not keep the PUC updated and not take a chance.
Old 25th August 2020, 16:23   #14
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
What happens if the car's insurance and PUC are both lapsed? to get a PUC, the car needs to be driven to the the PUC center, which cannot be done legally if the insurance is expired
Agreed. Insurance can be bought online or through phone.
For PUC we need to visit the PUC centre. If the owner is not in his/her hometown for some reason(given the current circumstances), the person cannot renew the insurance in between and also when the person returns, he/she can face 2 challans now while going for the PUC.

What if the vehicle is lying unused as the owner is not in the town and PUC expires?
If any damage occurs to the vehicle parked and unused, can the insurance company deny the claim as the vehicle was not on public roads/running?

Can third party insurance also be denied?

Looks like the owners need to find a trustworthy friend who can take care of these matters when the owner is not in town.

Last edited by J4J : 25th August 2020 at 16:51.
J4J is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 09:14   #15

https://www.irdai.gov.in/ADMINCMS/cm...eNo4225&flag=1
This should clarify that the lack of PUC is not a valid reason to deny a motor insurance claim.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press Release.pdf (80.0 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by sahil1010 : 27th August 2020 at 09:21. Reason: Added the link in the Post instead of the attachment.
sahil1010 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks