Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

View Poll Results: Do you support making Fastag compulsory for 3rd-party insurance?
Yes 59 28.64%
No 147 71.36%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 13:35   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Govt mulling to make Fastag compulsory for 4-wheeler 3rd party insurance

Pathetic move by the Govt. What about those who rarely travel in their cars on highways? Those people might like to use buses or trains. Why should they purchase fastag? They can always pay cash for the rare occasions they use their own vehicle. Instead of thinking about easing traffic on highways they should focus on improving the horrible traffic conditions in most of our metros where the more people are expected to migrate in future. So much time is wasted on city traffic.

Govt talks about electric future. Are there enough charging stations on highways? No. Instead of setting their priorities right their only focus is to somehow squeeze money by coming up with bogus rules.
Old 8th September 2020, 14:14   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Seems like an incredibly nutty policy. Why should someone who never takes a car on toll highways waste money and time getting a Fastag installed. Cars have a registration plate - that is more than enough for the car to be traced and for insurance to be issued. Classic example of our government servants taking good ideas too far and finding new ways to harass people.
Exactly! We had a WagonR for over seven years and it left the city limits just ONCE in its lifetime; that too just to break its highway virginity. Such usage might be a rare case, but the policy indeed takes things too far.
Old 8th September 2020, 15:36   #48
BHPian

IMHO, the government is pushing hard towards 100% Fastag compliance. It's a carrot and stick policy. Initially, there were incentives in terms of cashback and now it's being linked to issuance of insurance policy.

The major difference in paying with cash and via Fastag is transparency. When we pay cash, then there are chances of under reporting by Toll Operator, causing loss to NHAI. With e-payment that would become transparent.

Another possibility is removal of manned Toll Booths when everyone adopts Fastag, reducing cost for running toll plazas and land acquisition.

However a blooper is that only NHAI has mandated the usage of Fastag. So, it's implementation is optional on the roads owned by state governments. E.g. KMP owned by HSIIDC, Faridabad-Gurgaon road owned PWD.
Old 8th September 2020, 16:07   #49
BHPian

As per my understanding there are two sides of the same coin. On one hand we have enforcers who know most people do not know their rights and they can extort money by testing their ignorance and on the other hand there are riders/drivers/vehicle owners who do not want to understand and follow laws/rules/regulations and find it is more convenient to manage the police than going thru hassles of getting things done correctly.

As they say, you have to pay for convenience.

If even 25 percent people start following rules related to speed limits, zebra crossing, red lights, most Indian cities will end up having much smoother traffic and driving/riding will become much safe, stress free and happy experience.
Old 8th September 2020, 17:06   #50
BHPian

Voted No!

Such a ridiculous move from the government again. Seems like they have decided to milk the car owners to make some money by any mean. If I am someone who is using my cars just within the city limits, or if I don't have any toll booths to be passed, why should I pay for something which I won't be using at all ??

It is disheartening to see some folks commenting " Why not pay ₹1000 , is it a big amount ?"

On some other thread I have seen comments like " Why not pay ₹10000 handling charges, is it a big amount ? "

And some say " Why not pay ₹20-50 lakh as tax for your CBU ? "

Money is important to each an everyone, For someone it will be ₹50 and for the other one it will be ₹50000xx .
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:56   #51
BHPian

Voted Yes. Well, we obviously can't have unanimous point of view. That's natural.
In my latest drive to Wai in Pune-Bangalore highway, I only encountered one toll(Khed Shivpur toll). However, that itself took around 20-25 mts to cross to and fro. I saw many people giving cash despite the fastag only lane. Not sure how many gave double the toll amount.

Yes, there will be persons who won't drive their cars in highway. I suppose they will be in minority. Also, isn't its ok to have a Fastag on car, just in case a sudden highway trip is needed when our primary car isn't there. At least we won't waste others time(if we aren't in cash queue) who is behind us in queue.
Old 8th September 2020, 18:34   #52
BHPian

Quite a similar thought that resulted in banning Sun film, where as people can use curtains on car windows. The decision is not outcome driven.

So what is the outcome sought? Is it to make majority use fast tag on tollgate? If so, penalise people who doesn't have it there.

If the government really wish to take the route, my suggestion would be to
  • Remove the 200rs min balance. It is out right scam.
  • Supply fastag free of cost.
  • Standardise tollgate behaviour. Currently, each tollgate operates their own raj.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Yes, there will be persons who won't drive their cars in highway. I suppose they will be in minority.
In a state like kerala majority don't use toll gates, because there are only 2-3 high way tolls only.

Also, an interesting question to ask would be where does the toll money go?
Old 8th September 2020, 18:48   #53
BHPian

Voted NO! I never take my M800 on any long runs and the car hasn't seen a toll plaza in years! Why would I pay to set up fastag in my car? I simply don't need it. Such a thoughtless policy.
Old 8th September 2020, 21:51   #54
BHPian

What I don't understand is, why the reluctance to get a fast-tag? It is simple, hassle free and during Covid times one doesn't even need to interact with probable carriers like the tollbooth operators.

There must be a reason why people still prefer to wait in lines and pay cash during travel.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 22:09   #55

Making Fastag Mandatory is a good move. However, I have few questions and few recommendations.

1. Some of the roads are in a bad shape and are not fit for collecting Toll.
2. Caption of Fastag is Easy to Cruise. But it is not, there are long queues in some tolls.
3. The government is keen to push us to take few services. Why is it not pushing the Toll operators to maintain roads in good shape.
4. Why are we paying road tax? What is the purpose of collecting road tax?

Recommendations:
1. Try to upgrade the system, Avoid patch works and make it Easy to Cruise.
2. Provide the Fastag for free of cost.
3. Half or quarter part of the amount paid for road tax can be credited to the fastag linked with the vehicle.
4. Amount in the Fastag cannot be transferred or withdrawn.
5. Fastag compulsory for all vehicles this includes two and three wheeler. (Can easily identify Stolen Vehicles)
Old 8th September 2020, 22:36   #56
BHPian

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with TouchNGo or FASTag in any way).

Congestion at toll booths need to be eased, but there are better solutions than the one we're currently trying to adopt.

Malaysia has this system where you can purchase a TouchNGo card from a store. You load this card with money (via a credit/debit card or cash, from a TouchNGo office) and use this card to:
  1. Pay tolls. Just touch this card at a dedicated spot for this at the toll plaza, and it'll deduct the appropriate amount. And there are variations of this card where you don't even have to touch anything anywhere and the toll plaza just detects the card. I haven't used this latter feature; look up SmartTAG.
  2. Pay for train tickets. Touch this card at the origin and destination stations, and it'll deduct the appropriate amount.
  3. Travel on the bus
Anybody can purchase this card from their store. It's super convenient for all kinds of transportation. And this card is not linked to your identity (because it doesn't have to be). You can throw away the card, or reload an existing card with money again. It just works. Simple.

Now, come back to India and here you have a card that's
  • linked to your car, your bank, yourself
  • not transferable
  • required for insurance
  • is a hassle to obtain. At least, compared to TouchNGo, which can be bought as easily as potato-chips
Old 8th September 2020, 22:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
What I don't understand is, why the reluctance to get a fast-tag? It is simple, hassle free and during Covid times one doesn't even need to interact with probable carriers like the tollbooth operators.

There must be a reason why people still prefer to wait in lines and pay cash during travel.
I don’t think anyone here is objecting to the the Fastag. We all know that Fastag is a wonderful idea which needs to be implemented whole heartedly. Ask anyone here and everyone will have Fastag attached for their highway runs.

The issue here is different. When we took Fastag and linked it to our bank accounts, it was primarily for tolls for the highway runs. I understand that there are numerous possibilities of Fastag and probably those possibilities are round the corner as well but how is linking insurance with Fastag ensure compliance for a person who will not touch the highway ever!

You want to stop people from paying cash at tolls, straightaway announce that tolls will not be accepted through cash pan India. Impose heavy penalties for cars entering the Fastag lines. There are ways to ensure people take the Fastag while on the highways but linking insurance is certainly not one of them.

This forcible idea of linkage is unfair for a majority of vehicle owners who still take the flights and trains for their journeys. Not everyone takes the road route to reach their destinations. Of course, someone will make money out of this scheme as well or may be not, but I will not stick my head out for this one

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 8th September 2020 at 23:06. Reason: Additional content
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 23:11   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
You want to stop people from paying cash at tolls, straightaway announce that tolls will not be accepted through cash pan India.
The government can't do that either, thanks to the little line printed on currency stating that is is legal tender and store of value and cannot be refused as payment anywhere an open transaction is happening.

To the best of my belief, IRDAI will throw this rule out as soon as anyone tries to implement it. They already have a tough time getting people to purchase third party insurance and they don't want anything getting in the way of it. The Govt has just released this statement as something they are considering to do soon so that another 25% people get spooked and purchase it before we all forget that the government threatened to do it. I don't see them ever following through on this threat.
Old 8th September 2020, 23:38   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
The government can't do that either, thanks to the little line printed on currency stating that is is legal tender and store of value and cannot be refused as payment anywhere an open transaction is happening.

To the best of my belief, IRDAI will throw this rule out as soon as anyone tries to implement it.
Exactly, the authorities will never be able to completely stop taking cash. So what’s the next best idea- penalise folks when they enter Fastag lines, impose heavy fines or even get to suspend the license as well if that works. The moot point is you can’t penalise a whole section for the faults of few !

Despite of using Fastag, while entering Calcutta we have to encounter waiting for hours at a now infamous toll. Instead of creating proper infrastructure for smooth passage, these devious ways to generate money is not a proper thing to do.
Old 9th September 2020, 00:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Voted a big no!

Like many others, I also have a direct example with me of a car that doesn’t go on the highway a lot. The Spark is mainly used for going around the city and just short highway runs within 10KMs of the city without any tolls. This also means that most cars don’t have Fastag installed (the Spark fortunately has it already) since they’re usually city runabouts. This move by the government will also not be popular amongst cabbies who usually move around within city limits.

Most Viewed