Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

View Poll Results: Do you support making Fastag compulsory for 3rd-party insurance?
Yes 59 28.64%
No 147 71.36%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 07:10   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt mulling to make Fastag compulsory for 4-wheeler 3rd party insurance

Voted No !

I have resisted from buying a FasTag for two reasons. One, my trips on tolled highways are about twice a year at most. Two, I don't have time to spend on doing reconciliation and fighting it out with toll operators for getting refund for wrong debits and money vanishing from my account when my car is lying in the garage.

People tend to forget that we are living in a democracy, although its heading towards becoming a banana republic. How about paying interest on that Rs 200 deposit? I don't care even if it is 50 paisa per tag per year. Every pie adds up. It's the public's money that you are blocking up for no valid reason. Either allow it to go down to zero balance, or pay interest on the deposit at bank FD rates.

How about some transparency on toll collection? I'd like to see an electronic board put up right when you start collecting toll. It should show the total amount the operator can collect over x years, how much has been collected thus far and auto updation of the remaining amount on the board, every time toll is deducted for a vehicle.

Making FasTag mandatory to buy 3rd party insurance is just one more reason to make people not buy it. It's counter productive. Just look at the number of vehicles running around without valid insurance, especially in Tier 2 and 3 cities.

Last edited by longhorn : 9th September 2020 at 07:13.
longhorn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 10:01   #62
BHPian

Voted No!

Seems like Covid has robbed thinking capacity of people making decisions. This is unnecessary harassment. Insurance and Fastag are totally unrelated to each other. First ensure that Fastag works flawlessly at all toll booths. Ensure that first world standard infra is developed, lanes are marked well, traffic is well regulated and people are treated with civility.
bsdbsd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 21:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I am glad to see the Govt moving in the right direction. As of now the FASTags are non transferable. Since they are now being linked to the vehicle insurance as well, if possible, it would be nice to take it one step further and make the tags transferable during sale of the vehicle. .[/list]
Paytm Fastags are transferable to a diff Paytm user.
Old 10th September 2020, 20:03   #64
BHPian

Voted No,

Not a practical solution at all. Fast Tags are very helpful but we are already charging double to people paying cash so mechanism is in place for people to be encouraged to move to fast tag.

This just adds to the complexity of the existing users, the only benefit being some extra taxes, one time. If it has to be made mandatory we can start by making it mandatory for new cars. The dealer can arrange the fast tag, Not sure if this is already being done.

- Slick
Old 14th September 2020, 06:16   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of this poll's outcome, it will be implemented and enforced if the Govt. wants. We won't have any other option rather than to comply.

A question to non-regular users. What happens if you don't use your tag for an extended period? Say close to a year?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 21:12   #66
BHPian

Voted No.

I find fastag very convenient. I found out, to my surprise and disappointment, that fastag is not mandatory on state highway tolls. I would prefer and plead the govt to makes it mandatory on every toll booth in the country, I just love the convenience provided by the system. Especially in these covid times, I find exchanging money and receipts at toll booths even more hazardous.

In order to increase fastag adoption, please increase the charges for 'cash' lanes on national highway tolls. Make it 2X or 3X or even more. Give incentives for using fastag lane and penalize usage of cash lanes with much higher fare.

But making fastag mandatory for insurance? That is a big NO for me. Someone who does not like the fastag system would still not recharge and would still use the cash lane even if he was forced to add the sticker on his windscreen for insurance.
Old 14th September 2020, 22:06   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
...What happens if you don't use your tag for an extended period? Say close to a year?
It probably varies by provider, but my SBI Fastag that hasn't been used since February still shows active status on their portal.
Old 24th September 2020, 21:58   #68
BHPian

I voted NO for this. It seems to me like another ploy by the government to impose toll taxes on people such as armed forces personnel (the only deserving example that came to my mind right now) which seem to do little to improve the narrower highways (seen as 'AH' roads on Google Maps) that we pass through while travelling to various destinations by road. As fellow BHPians have stated in other FASTag-related threads, I think we should do away with that "security deposit" which is levied on each new application for a FASTag, for a start.

Last edited by BashfulKlutz : 24th September 2020 at 22:04.
Old 7th November 2020, 19:19   #69
BHPian

FASTag mandatory for ALL cars from January '21, including old cars

Another push by the government to increase fastag usage.

From 1 Jan, 2021 FASTag is mandatory for all 4-wheel vehicles sold before Dec 2017 and for buying third party vehicle insurance by April 01, 2021.

Quote:
It had further been mandated that the renewal of fitness certificate will be done only after the fitment of FASTag for the Transport Vehicles. Further that for National Permit Vehicles the fitment of FASTag has been mandated since 1st oct 2019.

It has been further mandated that a valid FASTag is mandatory while getting a new 3rd Party Insurance through an amendment in FORM 51 (certificate of Insurance), wherein the details of FASTag ID shall be captured. This shall be applicable w.e.f. 1 April 2021
Source

Last edited by nick.cs : 7th November 2020 at 19:23.
nick.cs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 10:58   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag mandatory for ALL cars from January '21, including old cars

Good move!

1. Force NHAI, IHMCL and the toll operators to further strengthen the FASTag system
2. Wipe out all scope for cash collection and/or leakages.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:45   #71
BHPian

FastTag seems to be mandatory for toll payments as per this advert in the Indian Express today (18th Nov 2020).

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good move!

1. Force NHAI, IHMCL and the toll operators to further strengthen the FASTag system
2. Wipe out all scope for cash collection and/or leakages.
My brother in law and I recently registered our respective apartments in the UP area of NCR. Despite being a completely digital process, there is no way to process this without paying extra cash. Even though the registration fees etc had all been transferred via bank, the chaps who did the processing insisted on and got their cut in cash.

I am all for FASTags becoming mandatory to make life convenient but lets not associate this move with decreasing the scope of leakage / corruption. We have come to believe that tech is a silver bullet but we forget that there is a human element that we cannot erase. I recommend looking up Kentaro Toyoma's work on the role of tech as magnifier.
Attached Thumbnails
Govt mulling to make Fastag compulsory for 4-wheeler 3rd party insurance-fasttag.jpg  

Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:07   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
I am all for FASTags becoming mandatory to make life convenient but lets not associate this move with decreasing the scope of leakage / corruption. We have come to believe that tech is a silver bullet but we forget that there is a human element that we cannot erase. I recommend looking up Kentaro Toyoma's work on the role of tech as magnifier.
Can fully empathize with you as I also faced the same issue in KA a few years back. BUT there is a difference with a convoluted house registration process as compared to recharging a prepaid FASTag, and paying a toll charge from it as you pass through a tollbooth.

FASTag implementation has already led to a substantial 15-20% jump in NHAI's daily collection, even during the COVID times. This directly implies that a significant amount of revenue (topline) leakage has been plugged.

As for the thieving & bribe-taking, we are damned as a country for this. No amount of tech or non-tech will stop it. We have only ourselves to blame.
Old 15th December 2020, 13:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
You have to pay 40$ deposit(due to covid19 it's waived until year end) and maintain 40$ balance(40+40=80$) at any time and should provide bank details for auto topup. If credit card is used, insane service fee to be paid.
Not with Eastlink you dont except for credit card details for top up. The minimum wage in Australia is $20+ so even $40 is like 2 hours worth of minimum wage work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
How many on the forum are ready to give their bank details for auto topup? If you don't opt for it you have to pay monthly account maintenance fee. Here people are worried about 200₹. So if same rule as Australia is applied in India how many would whole heartedly welcome and follow it? People will start with privacy, poverty, etc.
Its not that people dont want to give their bank details, its that people dont trust the system or even the people running the system and lack of swift resolution without running from pillar to post or spending days upon days of time and yet not reach an amicable solution.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th December 2020 at 13:36.

Most Viewed