Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 14:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

A custom underbody shield made from aluminium or mild steel like offroaders use will prevent any damages if the underbody does get hit. Since this is a body on frame vehicle it is easy to get one made and mount it under the chassis.
I feel that sometimes one can get carried away with ground clearance data. It all depends on how (at what speed/angle) and which part of the car body is exposed to the road surface. I have also experienced an underbody hit in an Innova Crysta that I was traveling in (taxi). The car was loaded with 3 people and driver and on one occasion in Pune, the driver failed to take notice of an "unscientific " speed breaker and hit the underbody with a severe thud. I was shocked that the Crysta could be hit by a regular (albeit sharp) speed breaker. So was the driver as he got down after a while and checked the underbody. Some part of the bumper too had come loose.
Old 27th April 2021, 15:37   #47
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I feel that sometimes one can get carried away with ground clearance data. It all depends on how (at what speed/angle) and which part of the car body is exposed to the road surface. I have also experienced an underbody hit in an Innova Crysta that I was traveling in (taxi). The car was loaded with 3 people and driver and on one occasion in Pune, the driver failed to take notice of an "unscientific " speed breaker and hit the underbody with a severe thud. I was shocked that the Crysta could be hit by a regular (albeit sharp) speed breaker. So was the driver as he got down after a while and checked the underbody. Some part of the bumper too had come loose.
In my 4.5 years experience with Crysta and approximately 83K Km, underbody scraping, though not entirely avoidable, can be minimised if we handle the vehicle well. The above incident/accident was a freak one-off unfortunate case and apart from this I have never had serious underbody hit on speed bumps for which I have to get down and inspect for damages. But yes, if loaded well, it does gets scraped lightly.
Old 27th April 2021, 16:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mail.atyagi View Post
In my 4.5 years experience with Crysta and approximately 83K Km, underbody scraping, though not entirely avoidable, can be minimised if we handle the vehicle well. The above incident/accident was a freak one-off unfortunate case and apart from this I have never had serious underbody hit on speed bumps for which I have to get down and inspect for damages. But yes, if loaded well, it does gets scraped lightly.
Gents, in the last week I got my Crysta lowered on Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. Now fingers crossed
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 17:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Gents, in the last week I got my Crysta lowered on Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. Now fingers crossed
What would be the impact on GC with this setup? Also, upgrading from stock tyres to 215/65/R16 would result in any change in GC?
Old 27th April 2021, 18:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

On my classic Alfa Spider I have a special sump guard installed. It is a low slung car to start with and you can hit the sump easily, even on speed bumps.

I used or drive rallies. On some cars we just bolted steel plates underneath the engine and tranny. You need to a bit careful as to the various components still getting suffice air flow.

These sort of guards are very effective, but must be installed properly. Because when you hit something they need to able to take on the full brunt and force without denting. So you need to pay attention a as to how and where they are installed. Incorrectly installed can mean you bend the chassis upon impact,

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 18:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What would be the impact on GC with this setup? Also, upgrading from stock tyres to 215/65/R16 would result in any change in GC?
Stock size is 205/65R16, there will be a minor gain in ground clearance when you change to 215/65R16. This is a good size for bad roads, it is the little bit of extra sidewall that makes a difference in ride quality over broken roads.

Lowering springs brings the clearance to sedan levels, not practical if you need to get off the road often. But do note that the lowered Innova still has higher clearance than a lowered sedan/hatch.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 19:15   #52
BHPian

I think Toyota has just washed their hands off from providing free replacement under warranty. From my experience with Toyota, it's the most difficult company to deal with warranty claims, because of their assumed high quality standards. The dealers ask questions so weird that you wonder how is it even remotely linked to the defects related to a guarantee claim.

Insurance company is probably right in saying that the plug will not come off even if there is a hit. These plugs are mostly fitted with thread sealant and torque tightened so that they do not come off easily even under vibrations. Probably one in a million defect which Toyota refused to owe up. Insurance company did not claim that it is a manufacturing defect so should be claimed under warranty, though they proved that the plug cannot come off due to scraping.

My advice, before deciding to sue the insurance company, try and ask a Toyota technician how this plug is fitted and what can make it come off. You will have a better understanding to plan your next action.

Stay safe.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 21:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going by the photos, I seriously doubt that the bolt loosened just because of a small impact. Someone in the Toyota service center didn’t check it during the last service. Did you have a transmission drain & fill in the previous service?

Looking at the big picture, Toyota paid a small amount to appease OP (maybe covering up for the service center?) and retained a customer for life and make some new ones.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 22:50   #54
BHPian

Well OP said he ran over a metal object. I am assuming he realised it when that happened. In that case it can't be a coincidence that the bolt came off soon after the incident due to manufacturing defect or service neglect. If OP is assuming that the impact happened, then possible that it wasn't accidental damage.
Old 28th April 2021, 08:29   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Did you have a transmission drain & fill in the previous service?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Well OP said he ran over a metal object. I am assuming he realised it when that happened. In that case it can't be a coincidence that the bolt came off soon after the incident due to manufacturing defect or service neglect. If OP is assuming that the impact happened, then possible that it wasn't accidental damage.
Yes, I realised it when the vehicle ran over the metal object. I too feel it can't be coincidence.
Old 28th April 2021, 09:31   #56
BHPian

This is shocking, we are reading daily on the jacked up insurance invoices from various brands. But we dismiss them with a slight relief, assuming that things will be covered by insurance. This TOYOTA experience is an eye opener. If TOYOTA is proceeding in favour of the insurer, then we will have to think twice before taking a TOYOTA for offroading or even on a rough road next time. Eagerly waiting for their conclusion on the issue.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 28th April 2021 at 09:33.
Old 28th April 2021, 10:48   #57

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Another story of insurers denying the claim.

I think you should report this to the insurance ombudsman - IRDA. If the issue has started because of accident, Company is bound to pay the claim irrespective of whether the nut has possibility of slippage due to accidents or not.

Offtopic, I think we should have a new thread where all stories of insurance denials are discussed.

This post should move to that insurance thread(if such thread already exists.)
I second IRDA as step 1. I had a claim denial albeit health related, within 2 weeks of online complaint with IRDA I received an email from the insurance co that they would honour my claim. While I had my doubts about IRDA being able to do anything through an online complaint, I was pleasantly surprised.
Indiguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 11:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiguy View Post
I second IRDA as step 1. I had a claim denial albeit health related, within 2 weeks of online complaint with IRDA I received an email from the insurance co that they would honour my claim. While I had my doubts about IRDA being able to do anything through an online complaint, I was pleasantly surprised.
I did an online complaint to national consumer helpline through UMANG app. However, it felt more like just a routine complaint and insurance company updated same status after few days and complaint was closed. Pics regarding the complaint are attached.

Would IRDA complaint be any different is what I am not sure. Particularly when the forensic report, however flimsy, rules in their favor. still not sure if I take IRDA/ Ombudsman route or consumer court route or just ignore this altogether?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim-screenshot_20210428111019.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim-screenshot_20210428111026.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim-screenshot_20210428111107__01.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim-screenshot_20210428111143.jpg  

Old 28th April 2021, 14:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would IRDA complaint be any different is what I am not sure.
If I were in your position, I would have taken it with the IRDA first. And if even IRDA rules the case against your favour, I will take all of the evidences from the insurer and IRDA and send a notice to Toyota and the specific dealership first over registered post, wait for one month and then take the matter to consumer court if Toyota doesn't refund you the entire amount.

I might also open a dispute with the bank ( in case you have made the payment using credit card ) to block the payment to Toyota using the supporting evidences ( vehicle warranty, forensic report from the insurer and the reply from IRDA and the notice that you had sent to Toyota dealership )

Last edited by amalji : 28th April 2021 at 14:51.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If I were in your position, I would have taken it with the IRDA first. And if even IRDA rules the case against your favour, I will take all of the evidences from the insurer and IRDA and send a notice to Toyota and the specific dealership first over registered post, wait for one month and then take the matter to consumer court if Toyota doesn't refund you the entire amount.

I might also open a dispute with the bank ( in case you have made the payment using credit card ) to block the payment to Toyota using the supporting evidences ( vehicle warranty, forensic report from the insurer and the reply from IRDA and the notice that you had sent to Toyota dealership )
I got tired after haggling with Ergo and Toyota for a long time and hence agreed for paying 3 lakhs to get the vehicle back on road. Needed vehicle badly in these COVID times.

I can still go to Insurance ombudsman within 12 months of claim rejection. Seems like a better option. Though I agree I should not have waited so long.

Regarding raising dispute with the bank, payment can not be blocked if I have used the card voluntarily to make the payment to Toyota. Bank is not a party to the warranty/insurance claim. Being a banker myself, I won't file a wrong claim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks