Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you share your data & allow tracking for insurance discounts?
Yes 34 18.68%
No 148 81.32%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you share your data & allow tracking for insurance discounts?

I'm not comfortable sharing my data with any 3rd party, especially a private organization. What I do with my vehicle is my business and my business alone, (apart from law enforcement).

Seen too many cases wherein data is collected for the benefit of the consumer, only to be misused, or land up in the wrong hands in case of a data breach. Hence, I vote NO.

Regarding the discount, I think I'm now more inclined to pay a premium for my next insurance policy as long as there is a physical agent dealing with me, who can help me out in case of any claim. I dislike the online claims processes and the central helpdesk facilities, which while being more cost effective (for the insurance provider), are not USER FRIENDLY.

So, keep your discounts to yourself, but I'm going to a real world friendly agent in the future. Hopefully that helps small businesses rather than large corporates, especially in these pandemic times.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 16:36   #17
BHPian

My instinct is to not share what I consider my private data. This is certainly the case with regard to my activity within my own home, which is where I'm looking for a sanctuary from the prying eyes of the external world. However, when I step out, into public places (roads included), I am subconsciously prepared for lower/no privacy. How I behave/drive on public (at least not owned by me) property can impact others. In such a case, I would submit to being tracked (An extreme example being I never question the surveillance in an airport). Roads fall closer to airports than to private properties, IMHO.
srikanth.vemuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:13   #18
BHPian

No way! The violation of privacy aside, insurance companies are always looking for excuses to not honor claims. This method of tracking would let your insurer know that you had, for example, once driven at 80 km/h in a 60 km/h zone. If you ever have to make a claim for any incident in the future (which may or may not be your fault), they could just use this "speeding" infraction to highlight that you are an irresponsible driver and reject your claim.
And, come on! Any possible discount on premium would be nowhere close to the kind of damage one goes to claim insurance for.
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 17:48   #19
BHPian

No.
No amount of discounts are worth your privacy. It might start with basic stats collection, but where does it end and how much control do you have over what gets collected and how it might be used beyond the designated purpose?
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:12   #20
BHPian

Voted Yes.

As much as I want complete privacy and no tracking, there's no denying the truth that the opposite is happening. Google and likes along with govt depts sell(or will sell) the data. Then it will take a good algorithm to pin point a user's data. What I'm saying is that we don't have choice. It's inevitable. Sooner or later insurance premiums will be charged according to an individual's driving habbits.
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 19:25   #21
BHPian

Absolutely not! It is creepy enough for all Facebook Google services tracking our every activity on and off the net. Have spent a considerable amount of time to disable all such tracking features on my phone. No to Ads on cars. No to tracking by a third party on cars.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 20:23   #22
BHPian

So while I did vote as NO, our opinions and preferences won't really matter in the coming days. Allowing location data, access to messages/contacts/images etc to mobile apps is something we have already got used to.

With connected tech becoming the order of the day, and already quite prevalent in cars today, it's only a matter of time where either regulation or market forces will leave you with no other choice.

So yes, hold on to your anonymity while it lasts. Our next generation may not even find this poll relevant. Imagine coming back to this page after 5 years maybe.
gvivek75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 23:41   #23
BHPian

Absolutely Not.

I voted no and I don't think any discount (including free insurance) is worth giving up my privacy. I am not comfortable sharing anything about myself unless I absolutely have to. There is no telling what this data might be used for, and most likely it will come to bite you in the back.

So I don't mind paying sticker price for insurance (or whatever the term is) as long as I can keep any and all tracking off.

When I was renewing my car's insurance last year I remember seeing some such offer, where I could get a discount by installing a telematics device, but I didn't go for it, and never will either.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 10:49   #24
BHPian

Like it or not, it is not really for us to decide. Future regulations could mandate that a tracking device/black-box be factory fitted on every vehicle sold. Insurance company would just need to have your vehicle's engine/chassis number to fetch your data from a central database. It is possible that the central database may be owned by transport regulatory bodies.
mohitchalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 11:09   #25
BHPian

Why do we need insurance companies or car companies to track our movements? With respect to insurance, the Vahan database is robust enough to know if one's insurance is valid or expired and we do get numerous calls from XYZ insurance companies a month or two before the insurance expires.

Also, insurance companies do have access to our previous insurer and can know if we have made a claim or not.

If the owner has not made a claim, there's no claim bonus for that and they can increase the no claim bonus percentage rather using such tricks to track us. Despite most of the owners having a clean driving and claim record, the insurance companies jack up prices artificially and make us feel we've paid more for a less value(IDV) y-o-y.

Wishful thinking: the insurance companies can waive off GST if the owner had a clean record for 3 or more years
Old 26th May 2021, 17:41   #26
BHPian

Voted "No" but it depends on cases by case.

I just sold my Zen recently & if it is offered for Zen, i will take it with all hands.
On the other hand, if the same is offered for Fiesta, i won't take it.

Zen is used for household errands & not driven outside 30km from my home.
On the other hand I take Fiesta to multiple places & at different times.

With the nature of insurance companies digging out unwanted data to reject a claim, i will be hesitant to take such policies.

On hindsight, if you do a sedate & defensive drive 100%, we can opt for it. If not, "No" will be the answer.
Old 27th May 2021, 00:21   #27

That's a very common thing here in Canada. The insurance companies offer 'up to' 15% discount on insurance if you install an app which monitors driving habits. The safer driver you are (i.e. less hard acceleration and braking), the more the discount %age.

Knowing myself, I never opted for these as I'd surely get a 0% discount.

Keep in mind, the cost of insurance here is at times almost equal to the monthly installment of the vehicle so a lot of people do opt for any potential discount solutions including this app.
Old 27th May 2021, 10:01   #28
BHPian

Maybe, Just Maybe i would consider it for a beater car in the family used for daily errrand runs driven mostly by a driver or so. This would be an icing on the cake if the insurance companies give a report to the owner of the car as well to see where all that car has been lol you could track your driver for free

But for a personal drive NO WAY!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks