Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 10:01   #16
BHPian

Re: My brand-new Jeep Compass is in a flooded basement | Now what?

Sorry for the situation you are in. Compass will probably be a total loss and Interceptor can be repaired .My Dominar 400 was fully submerged in water for a week in 2018 kerala floods and was back to normal after oil and fuel drain.Be sure to look for any rusts.

Last edited by JJ1991 : 9th November 2021 at 10:03.
JJ1991 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:20   #17
BHPian

You should take pictures of the entire episode and once the water recedes as well. Call the Insurer and submit the claim. Don't move the car until the towing team takes it away. You can push for a total loss for sure.

The last resort if nothing works is to file a consumer case - In my opinion, it is effective if you have patience and time to pursue it.

Thanks and hope you will sail through this smoothly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekar.ca View Post
Hello all,

I wanted to post on an evolving situation - Chennai has seen persistent rains for the past 2 days and due to resultant floods, the basement of my apartment complex is under water. Amongst other vehicles under 6-7ft of water are my Jeep Compass 2.0 MT Diesel and Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2021 at 21:01. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.. If the water level is above your bonnet and the car has been in that situation for two days then most likely it will be declared a total loss as a lot of parts in the interior and in the engine bay will require replacement and considering its a Compass it will be expensive and won't help the insurance company as well.

Also, in such situations where an entire city is affected the surveyors/insurers are under a lot of pressure to settle claims quickly and push for total loss on their own where a lot of work is required plus their is government pressure as well to settle claims quickly.

For the 650 it all depends on what state the bike is in after the water recedes and the cost of repair.

P.s - No matter what don't try to enter the car or worst try to start it in any form. You don't want insurance company to nitpick and pass on the blame on to you.
SnS_12 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:40   #19
BHPian

Given the heavier than usual rains of late, suggest that all those who live in apts or houses with basement parking should install a high suction water pump and keep this running during the heavy downpours

I too have a basement car park and have installled a water pump. A better idea is to install a automatic water level switch that will switch on the pump when the water is a certain level and shut down once the water level recedes.
indrangiri is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Since the car is fully submerged, the battery would be short circuited and all electronics would have died already. Plus water entry into the car interiors, engine, etc.

This for sure would be a total loss, sad to see a brand new car go this way. Would suggest to initiate claim process as soon as possible to get things rolling.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:34   #21
BHPian

I think, you will need to inform the Insurance company at the earliest. Most of them have a policy to decline the claim if they are informed late. Please keep them informed and collect the reference number, you can start the claim process later on.
arvishnu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I hope basha, the great dane opposite to your flat is safe.

Considering the next wave of rain fall and how it looks ominous I fear you have Tuesday and Wednesday to pull the car out.

Do you need any supplies or anything. I can help. Message me or share your number.
Thanks VW2010. Basha is well, saw him peering at the water yesterday . I will send a PM with my number, thanks a ton for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
Having worked in automobile dealership for a brief period, I can say that if water goes above the dashboard, then such cases are most likely to be treated as totalled loss (Add on cover like EP, CM, RTI will come at your rescue). Glad that you're safe and protected inside your home.
Thanks Aniruddha, hoping so too. And yes, definitely blessed to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Very sorry to hear your ordeal.

Another bhpian faced the same last year. This thread would give you relevant information. Have a look.
Done Bibendum, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1991 View Post
Sorry for the situation you are in. Compass will probably be a total loss and Interceptor can be repaired .My Dominar 400 was fully submerged in water for a week in 2018 kerala floods and was back to normal after oil and fuel drain.Be sure to look for any rusts.
Thanks JJ1991. My friend (who runs a garage for super bikes) has promised to do his best on the Interceptor, so that is lined up. I need to take it as it comes for the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
You should take pictures of the entire episode and once the water recedes as well. Call the Insurer and submit the claim. Dont move the car until the towing team takes it away. You can push for a total loss for sure.

The last resort if nothing works is to file a consumer case - In my opinion, it is effective if you have patience and time to pursue it.

Thanks and hope you will sail through this smoothly!
Thanks Nomad, yes doing that and updating everyone (Dealer, Insurer) periodically with updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
P.s - No matter what don't try to enter the car or worst try to start it in any form. You don't want insurance company to nitpick and pass on the blame on to you.
Thanks SnS, agree with your points. Won't take any chance whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post
Given the heavier than usual rains of late, suggest that all those who live in apts or houses with basement parking should install a high suction water pump and keep this running during the heavy downpours

I too have a basement car park and have installled a water pump. A better idea is to install a automatic water level switch that will switch on the pump when the water is a certain level and shut down once the water level recedes.
Yes, certainly something to consider and push for in all such apartments for the future.
shekar.ca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the kind words. Its indeed heartbreaking but given this is something completely outside my control, learning to cope and deal with it as calmly as I can
Update this evening is that the situation is still quite the same
Shekar- Apologies for what's happened. Just wanted to share my thoughts as I had gone through the same during 2015 and lost my Polo 1.6 Pepper Grey. If the water level is above your dash board, its category A submersion and it will be total loss as per Insurance. They will give back the IDV. You can also get refund of registration and there is a thread in our forum for that. One thing you need to be super careful is please get the RSA guys to tow your vehicle to the flat bed recovery vehicle. Please dont crank your engine on any ones advice and get the whole thing shot on video. The repair cost for category A submersion is more than the vehicle costs and hence insurance guys go for total loss. If they say they cant get the tow vehicle inside the basement, please ask them to use tow hooks to get your vehicle out.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th November 2021 at 13:10. Reason: Broken quotes
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Since the car is fully submerged, the battery would be short circuited and all electronics would have died already. Plus water entry into the car interiors, engine, etc.

This for sure would be a total loss, sad to see a brand new car go this way. Would suggest to initiate claim process as soon as possible to get things rolling.
Yes DRIV3R, will certainly do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Shekar- Apologies for what's happened. Just wanted to share my thoughts as I had gone through the same during 2015 and lost my Polo 1.6 Pepper Grey. If the water level is above your dash board, its category A submersion and it will be total loss as per Insurance. They will give back the IDV. You can also get refund of registration and there is a thread in our forum for that. One thing you need to be super careful is please get the RSA guys to tow your vehicle to the flat bed recovery vehicle. Please dont crank your engine on any ones advice and get the whole thing shot on video. The repair cost for category A submersion is more than the vehicle costs and hence insurance guys go for total loss. If they say they cant get the tow vehicle inside the basement, please ask them to use tow hooks to get your vehicle out.
Thanks Lalitha Venkat. Good point that you have reiterated - will ensure that the engine is not cranked up come what may and they use tow hooks.
shekar.ca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

How could the vehicle be towed if the tow truck can come only so close to the circuitous parking spot surrounded by pillars? Should it initially be towed by another car? How are sharp right angle turns managed while towing in a basement?

Are there additional safety precautions to tow a vehicle up a steep ramp from the basement?

My heart goes out to anyone facing such an ordeal and imagine that it is all too probable that it happens anywhere with basement parking
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:35   #26
BHPian

So sorry to hear this. Reminds me of 2016 when while crossing a partly flooded underpass, my i20 got stuck. I saw one Polo and another i20 crossing but I had no idea then that those cars could have been more powerful and new than mine, which was already 7 years old.

Here is my advice: I am sure you would not but please do not make any attempt to do anything with the car. I am sure an insurance claim would have already been lodged. I believe you have RTI insurance which should help you get the entire amount of claim, barring may be extended warranty and accessories which are billed separately as I understand. Please insist the insurance company that there is no way insurance repairs can "indemnify" you. The loss cannot be computed and calculated by any forecast and you cannot possibly have the foresight of contemplating all issues that may arise.

If and when your claim is getting approved, please go through the claim approval form carefully so that they do not leave a devil in the detail.

Best of luck!
kaustubhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post

Where would you pump the water out? It is my understanding that flooding happens because drainage is blocked/overwhelmed.
cryptarchy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:51   #28

Really sad to know this and my sympathies. By the look of it car will go in total loss and it is sad to see a brand new car. I just about managed to saw my Creta from flooding last year in Hyderabad. It took only 30 mins for the basement to flood up to knee length of water. Having stayed in Mumbai for a long time vehicle flooding is a common occurrence. Remember do not start the car and remove the battery terminal immediately before you do anything. Take video/pictures of all the steps as much as possible and use a tow hook if the flatbed cannot go down the basement. All the best with your claim.
Old 9th November 2021, 17:33   #29
BHPian

Hi Shekhar.CA. my car is half in water in Seethammal Colony 1st Cross (should be about 200 mts from your place). I have spoke to my ASS (Ford) and requested for a RSA vehicle (through a vendor suggested by them as the same was not included in my Insurance). One positive I see is that, you might be financially protected due to RTI cover. But when I am anxious about my 4.5 years Aspire, I can understand what can be your state of mind for such a new and a lovely vehicle. But just relax when things are not under our control.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 22:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Would this be a full loss kind of situation?
With the amount of electrical and electronic components, and mechatronics in modern day cars, the estimation will be huge, and will certainly cross 75% of IDV, which is the threshold mostly considered for declaration of total loss.

While this can be tough for anyone to handle, pat yourself on the back for having picked up the RTI cover. Was a very smart decision, in retrospect.

This will pass. Keep us posted!
sandeep.menon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed