Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 15:11   #1

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

Hi BHPians,
I am new to this platform, also a first timer in both owning a vehicle and claiming an insurance. and I come to you to seek a piece of advice on Insurance claims.

Here's my case:

My XUV 300 (W8-Pertrol (O) manual variant) is 6 month old, I have logged approx. 4.5k KMs and have done my first servicing post 1k KM run.

Last weekend I travelled to my native and parked the car outside our farm (as illustrated in the image below), and came back in the morning to discover a broken DRL unit (the DRL seemed to have had an impact and it went inside the holder unit), also there were dents and scratches on the side panel atop the wheel (as illustrated), next to the DRL. The damage is on the left hand side.

I am not sure, but I suspect maybe a tractor veered off and brushed against my vehicle sidewise. This however resembles more like a parking related impact if one were to look at it.

After approaching my insurance provider (Bajaj Allianz General Insurance), I was instructed to visit the workshop today so that an assessor could evaluate the damage.

Although, we arrived on time and as per directions of the service center rep, no assessor was present and I was led to the service engineer handling claims. He inspected the vehicle; to my surprise, my brother and I were told that they would have to replace the entire DRL unit and also the panel, and it would cost 25000 /- rupees upwards. Although, I insisted that it be repaired, they said that they'd have to replace it, that's the only way "because" the holder unit was broken. Moreover, they suggested that I leave the vehicle as the repair could take 5-12 days, besides, they didn't have the spare part.

After talking some sense, we decided to take the car back home today and return once they have the spares in stock by next week. I am disappointed totally, and on researching the price of the DRL unit I see that it costs about 5K for both the pair, the DRL is working and the light itself didn't suffer any damage as such, still why would "replacing" the holder unit cost so much?

Also, I have a small dent and scratch on the left-hand side too (Govt bus in a busy road), across the petrol intake inlet. I wanted to get that fixed as well, was advised to raise a single claim and get it all fixed as it was all on the left hand side. Since I had the impression if I don't claim things that I can live with, I get to utilize the No-Claim-Bonus and get a good deal during insurance renewal. What could be the best course of action to resolve this without any dispute and also get both the damages repaired under a single claim?

Please evaluate my images and provide me some directions.

Warm regards,
Surya
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img_20211225_123803.jpg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img20211228wa0003.jpeg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img20211228wa0007.jpeg  

Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-img20211228wa0013.jpeg  

surya.roy2010 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 17:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

Welcome to TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya.roy2010 View Post
1. why would "replacing" the holder unit cost so much?

2. Since I had the impression if I don't claim things that I can live with, I get to utilize the No-Claim-Bonus and get a good deal during insurance renewal.

3. What could be the best course of action to resolve this without any dispute and also get both the damages repaired under a single claim?
1. Seems like something more than just a parking brush up. If there's an internal housing which is a part of the unit, has broken they would change the unit. IMO its better to change the entire unit since I can see some scathing on the lower portion of the headlamp cover. This might be source of moisture entering the assembly and fogging up the headlamps later on and insurance won't cover it then.
The insurance is going to pay for it, let them.

2. No claim bonus would mean a bonus for no claims, not partial ones. Although I haven't claimed any insurance in a long time so going by what I recollect and the literal meaning.

3. Just claim everything that you can and be done with it.
Remember for you it's the first time your brand new car got hit for the insurance guys its a daily job. As long as your work gets done smoothly don't get disheartened for trivial stuff.

It happens, it might happen again, drive safe, keep safe and use the insurance as it was supposed to.
And spares are very expensive these days especially the projector, LED, DRL type of stuff.

Looking forward to a post repair update from you

Last edited by shancz : 28th December 2021 at 17:52. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 22:24   #3

Re: Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

@shancz, thank you so much for that information. I would be delighted to provide a post repair update. Alternatively, any idea if I can demand the damaged artefact to keep it with myself following the servicing? Either way, I would be happy to rather surrender it to the insurance folks than the service center. I read the terms and conditions again, I didn't encounter any clause that talks about the fate of damaged artefacts.
surya.roy2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 23:29   #4
BHPian

Re: Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate

Quote:
@shancz, thank you so much for that information. I would be delighted to provide a post repair update. Alternatively, any idea if I can demand the damaged artefact to keep it with myself following the servicing? Either way, I would be happy to rather surrender it to the insurance folks than the service center. I read the terms and conditions again, I didn't encounter any clause that talks about the fate of damaged artefacts.
Yes, you can ask for replaced parts to be handed over to you. I had to claim insurance for my Dzire and the service center had handed me the removed grill and headlight. These are still lying with me for last 3 years and I don't know what to do with them
Everlearner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 06:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
any idea if I can demand the damaged artefact to keep it with myself following the servicing?
Technically the removed parts go to the entity paying for it.
In case of warranty it's the company in case of insurance it should be insurance company who are paying on your behalf so its not the service center for sure and I doubt if the insurance folks would be claiming them so that leaves you

Like Everlearner has already posted confirming this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I don't know what to do with them
If you have a garage with a wall then I suggest fixing the grill at the wall as a decor No idea on the headlights though.

Last edited by shancz : 29th December 2021 at 06:33.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 08:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

Although, we arrived on time and as per directions of the service center rep, no assessor was present and I was led to the service engineer handling claims. He inspected the vehicle; to my surprise, my brother and I were told that they would have to replace the entire DRL unit and also the panel, and it would cost 25000 /- rupees upwards. Although, I insisted that it be repaired, they said that they'd have to replace it, that's the only way "because" the holder unit was broken. Moreover, they suggested that I leave the vehicle as the repair could take 5-12 days, besides, they didn't have the spare part.
They're conning you. The DRL's are available for less than 2700Rs on Amazon and other sites. Just go to a Friendly Neighbourhood garage and he will be able to do it at a much cheaper cost.

See link here: https://www.amazon.in/Kingsway-Light...0745199&sr=8-3
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 09:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you to get damage assessment done by another dealer without talking about 1st dealer assessment. As a thumb rule, If the total cost is less than 10K, then it's not worth going for insurance claim. You will end up paying more through no claim bonus.

When you visit dealer, Tell him that you will not go for insurance for repairs. After dealer assessment, you can decide to go with insurance claim or not.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 09:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
The DRL's are available for less than 2700Rs on Amazon and other sites.
First, unless we look at the internals we don't know what else has broken which necessitate the replacement of the unit.
I had to replace the the headlight assembly on our earlier Activa because a pothole hit managed to break one of the plastic brackets in the housing which was a part of the main unit, hence necessitating a replacement of the entire headlamp assembly which was functioning but just loose.

Coming to the product :
1 They're not OEM but a cheap Chinese unit, the OEM might also be made in china too, but better quality.
2. This will void the warranty.
3. Even outside of warranty I would advice against doing that unless you're well versed with the electrical systems of the car and how does the product fit into the system(I am not, but have seen some examples where they didn't work as expected causing unnecessary wastage of time and effort).
4. While I haven't seen the unit I am going to guess that it won't match the quality of OEM and out of experience will either fail sooner or fade necessitating a replacement.

All this is IMHO and goes without saying I am not a fan of anything below OEM quality as in the long run I had discoloured lights(the cheaper ones faded in 3 years) when I had to do it due to lack of OEM parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I suggest you to get damage assessment done by another dealer without talking about 1st dealer assessment. As a thumb rule, If the total cost is less than 10K, then it's not worth going for insurance claim. You will end up paying more through no claim bonus.
Good point, OP can explore this option if there's another workshop around.

Last edited by shancz : 29th December 2021 at 09:43. Reason: add ex
Old 29th December 2021, 15:24   #9

Mod note: Trimming Quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
First, unless we look at the internals we don't know what else has broken which necessitate the replacement of the unit.
====
Yes, I am thinking of visiting another workshop close to get a second opinion. Also, I am in favour of OEM. Don't want to do something that voids the warranty or creates other problems with the car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2021 at 18:06. Reason: Trimming Quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
Old 29th December 2021, 16:10   #10

Thanks to all the perspectives coming in from experienced BHPians, I am starting to look at the problem from multiple angles now.

I am thinking that I convince the service engineers/mechanics to open up that module for a closer look without jumping into conclusion unlike the first assessment where the SE looked at it from the outside. As shancz quoted, maybe the SE could have been experienced enough to conclude from just one look.

Assuming, 2nd opinion also puts up a quote exceeding 10k and I claim insurance support, I loose NCB. During renewal, knowing that I would be penalized with a higher premium for indirect recovery, what could the new premium look like? I have paid Rs 64,000 (43k for own damage, 10k for 3rd party, rest service tax and cess) for the 1st year already. Is there a formula or a standard practice? This will help me decide whether paying from the pocket or renewing post claim would be an acceptable loss.

Thinking, if a claim of 25k to 30k for fixing all damages in a single claim leads up to 0 NCB , and renewed premium doesn't become a nightmare or the hike is much less than the claimed amount, it would still make sense to press for insurance right?

Last question:
My claim was raised on 26th Dec, 28th I took the car for assessment for the first time and I am planning to go for second assessment somewhere nearby, sometime next week after choosing a dealer/service station based on some research. Would this delay pose any risk to my claim or assessment? Also, I have not been contacted by Insurance folks after yesterday though they agreed it was their fault for not being present and they said they'd collect the information from the SE (known to them supposedly) who had already been provided with photographs besides evaluation in person. Is there something to worry about?
Old 29th December 2021, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to replace the the headlight assembly on our earlier Activa because a pothole hit managed to break one of the plastic brackets in the housing which was a part of the main unit, hence necessitating a replacement of the entire headlamp assembly which was functioning but just loose.

Coming to the product :
1 They're not OEM but a cheap Chinese unit, the OEM might also be made in china too, but better quality.
2. This will void the warranty.
3. Even outside of warranty I would advice against doing that unless you're well versed with the electrical systems of the car and how does the product fit into the system(I am not, but have seen some examples where they didn't work as expected causing unnecessary wastage of time and effort).
4. While I haven't seen the unit I am going to guess that it won't match the quality of OEM and out of experience will either fail sooner or fade necessitating a replacement.

All this is IMHO and goes without saying I am not a fan of anything below OEM quality as in the long run I had discoloured lights(the cheaper ones faded in 3 years) when I had to do it due to lack of OEM parts.

The OEM quality DRL is available on Boodmo for INR 1900. See link here: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-drl_lamp_rh-40595131/

There is no impact on warranty.

Of course the thread opener is being taken for a ride, hence I suggested going to an FNG. The damage is only superficial, I'm not even sure if the DRL itself is damaged and requires to be changed, but even if that was the case, the cost will not be as high as quoted.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
1. The OEM quality DRL is available on Boodmo for INR 1900.
There is no impact on warranty.
2. Of course the thread opener is being taken for a ride, hence I suggested going to an FNG.
1. Thanks, this is OEM and even cheaper, you are correct. And this wouldn't impact the warranty as well.

2. Seems like it as well, the OP should get a second opinion, either from another dealer or FNG, like you and gkveda suggested.

In the hindsight I should've checked Boodmo too before jumping to conclusions, apologies and thanks

Quote:
I am thinking that I convince the service engineers/mechanics to open up that module for a closer look without jumping into conclusion unlike the first assessment where the SE looked at it from the outside. As shancz quoted, maybe the SE could have been experienced enough to conclude from just one look.
In light of above facts, second opinion is the way to go and would recommend to check boodmo too. Get the damage assessment for the DRL done at a FNG/dealer and let's decide the action after that.

Also, you were told by your ASC that the DRL costs 5000 while its 1900 on Boodmo, am I correct?
If that's the case then get it checked elsewhere, this ASC doens't seem right and like Lalvaz suggested taking you for a ride.

Quote:
Is there a formula or a standard practice? This will help me decide whether paying from the pocket or renewing post claim would be an acceptable loss.
There should be but I am not competent on the subject, someone better informed can guide you or some online research could give some results.
IIRC for ease you can fix your IDV to a value between current and 5 years down the line, calculate the NCB for each successive year and add up the results to arrive at a ballpark figure. This should be workable rounded to 5 thousands to take a decision on NCB vs claim.

I have one question too, if you make a claim now then your NCB resets and starts again from next year or you don't get the same bonus ever ?
IMO even if claiming you should be able to restart the NCB from the next year but this is something which I am not sure of.

Quote:
it would still make sense to press for insurance right?
In that case I would say yes but for the intricacies of NCB someone else can answer.

Quote:
- Would this delay pose any risk to my claim or assessment?

- Is there something to worry about?
- Don't think so, the insurers aren't hassled by it, you are so shouldn't be their concern.

- Don't think so.

Last edited by shancz : 29th December 2021 at 21:34. Reason: added missed resp
Old 30th December 2021, 21:16   #13
BHPian

Just one query. Is the quote including the repair / replace / repaint of both fender panels on the left side (front and rear)?. Also, looking at the picture, it seems painting is needed for other panels on left side. If painting of panels are estimated in the quote, the amount may be justifiable. Painting is a costly affair.

Last edited by Sree73 : 30th December 2021 at 21:24.
Old 31st December 2021, 01:17   #14
BHPian

If I were you then I would have gone by insurance route and got it all replaced (whatever is replaceable) because it's a new car.

I am talking from my experience, my Polo got brushed off a bit in a tight lane and what seemed a 12-14k affair turned out to be 42k plus, so had to take the insurance. Yep, NCB gone but to me getting a new part through insurance felt better than using it damaged and get the NCB next year.

I could have got the panels repainted (which again would come around 15k) but I have coupons so It wouldn't have costed me anything for 2 panels and I could have continued with that damaged running board but I couldn't see that daily and get the reminder of that unfortunate incident so got it replaced and saved coupons.

Attaching the image. Notice the bottom running board (black strip) that thing costs 25k plus for one side but I couldn't see that damaged so went with insurance got it new and those panels repainted and now I am happy
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-20211224_125627_hdr.jpg  

Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 14:40   #15

Quote:
1. Thanks, this is OEM and even cheaper, you are correct. And this wouldn't impact the warranty as well.

2. Seems like it as well, the OP should get a second opinion, either from another dealer or FNG, like you and gkveda suggested.

In the hindsight I should've checked Boodmo too before jumping to conclusions, apologies and thanks

In light of above facts, second opinion is the way to go and would recommend to check boodmo too. Get the damage assessment for the DRL done at a FNG/dealer and let's decide the action after that.

Also, you were told by your ASC that the DRL costs 5000 while its 1900 on Boodmo, am I correct?
If that's the case then get it checked elsewhere, this ASC doens't seem right and like Lalvaz suggested taking you for a ride.

There should be but I am not competent on the subject, someone better informed can guide you or some online research could give some results.
IIRC for ease you can fix your IDV to a value between current and 5 years down the line, calculate the NCB for each successive year and add up the results to arrive at a ballpark figure. This should be workable rounded to 5 thousands to take a decision on NCB vs claim.

I have one question too, if you make a claim now then your NCB resets and starts again from next year or you don't get the same bonus ever ?
IMO even if claiming you should be able to restart the NCB from the next year but this is something which I am not sure of.

In that case I would say yes but for the intricacies of NCB someone else can answer.

- Don't think so, the insurers aren't hassled by it, you are so shouldn't be their concern.

- Don't think so.
Interim Update :
Thanks, everyone for these valuable inputs. So, multiple parallel developments took place over the last 2 days.

1. I got a second opinion from another workshop nearby of the dealer from whom I purchased without informing him of the previous assessment, upon sending of closeups and videos. He too arrived at a similar estimate despite opting for cash. Interestingly he insisted that I opt for insurance for the DRL/Fender damage section, and pay 6-8k out of pocket for the rear petrol intake panel denting & painting job because according to him the insurance wouldn't pay for this piece. .

2. In the meanwhile, I received calls from the first authorised workshop where this time another senior technician followed up on my case. He was trying to ascertain if I would press for the work and wanted to know my pain points. He somewhat acknowledged that a repair attempt could be explored but didn't guarantee it would work as the brackets & holding unit are of plastic and would give away the moment it is opened up closer inspection.

3. Also, an M&M rep. called up almost instantaneously and enquired why I returned back, I had to inform him that the repair estimates looked unconvincing; the SE didn't have a closer look and concluded estimates from one visual inspection. Overall, he seemed empathetic and passed on the instructions to the Workshop (as attached in this communication).

4. Related to 2, these folks said they'll send the claim form for me to fill up so that they'll ready the paperwork for the surveyor whose approval is awaited for further decisions.

Overall, this has been great practical learning about the auto and insurance industry of our country for a rookie like me in general and making peace with that bad feeling of being conned officially (benefit of the doubt in my case now).

Nonetheless, based on all the suggestions, observations, and approaches. I am having to choose from the 3 options below :

1. Raise a single claim to address all damages incurred on the left side (front drl section + rear petrol intake + left ovrm cover) inline with the thumb-rule advice of fellow BHPian. This way I'll lose the NCB and probably pay a 10-15% higher premium next time as the system would penalise me. Either way, this seems to be an acceptable loss at the moment in comparison to :

2. Going to the second workshop/dealer and claiming 23k insurance for part repair and paying 6-8k out of pocket for the rear panel repair and wait for 7 days or more.

3. Hunting for some reliable DIY or FNG who could get all jobs done under 10-12k and provide a "superficial" relief for "superficial" damage.

Warm regards,
Surya
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice in claiming insurance for my 6-month old XUV300; received a suspicious estimate-capture.png  

Most Viewed