Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 16:23   #1
BHPian

Claiming total loss for a vehicle, where the owner passed away

Hello BHPians. I was looking for professional guidance on helping a friend who met an accident a couple of months back. Unfortunately, her dad, who was in the car, passed away in the accident. The vehicle has also been declared total loss. Now I'm trying to help her with the insurance process but it isn't straightforward either. The insurance company has told they need us to cancel the RC before the total loss claim can be transferred. I called the RTO and they told me that since the owner has passed away, the RC cannot be canceled directly but will first have to be transferred to the legal heir. My question is, in that case, wouldn't the car change ownership? I just hope the insurance company doesn't create more roadblocks if that happens. Just looking for advice on how can I best speed up this process.
siren373 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 09:51   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Claiming total loss for a vehicle, where the owner passed away

Aren't Nominee details filled for this very reason? If the car ownership is transferred then insurance would need a transfer. How will your friend claim insurance if the car met with an accident when it was on her dad's name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks