Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 11:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze

These days quotes from Insurance companies are system generated including PSU's and cannot be created manually and to get a lower premium quote the lower car variant and IDV is applied.

Check what is the Insurance premium you paid and what is printed on the insurance policy provided to you. If you don't have the exact amount you paid as at times dealership take the full payment for the car including RTO costs etc. In that case check the car pricing list provided by the dealer at time of booking which will have the insurance cost printed. That is the amount which should be printed on the policy as well and don't agree to pay any additional premium if they ask for.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:24   #17
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Dear Team_BHP,

Reaching out to the sea of wisdom contained in this forum.
I bought a Honda City CVT ZX from Capital Honda Chennai in Feb 2022 and have been enjoying the ride for the past 6 months. While renewing the motor insurance for my other car I happen to notice the motor insurance for the Honda city has a grave error on it. The Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT Petrol and cubic capacity as 1199 with a IDV of 870000.00. I paid almost 1800000 for this car!

Requesting for some views on this.
Brother it is easy and Insurance company can correct it.
Worst case during Renewal everything can be corrected.
src is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 15:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember a relative in the Navy, who had come to visit us. This was during the pre computerisation era of the 1980's. He was a doctor holding the rank of Surgeon Lieutenant (equivalent to Army Captain). Doctors in the Navy use such a prefix before their ranks. While seeing him off at the railway station, the reservation chart showed him as Sargeant Lieutenant. He was furious and said 'Sargeant' is a non commissioned officer (NCO) rank.

The Honda City of yours has also been demoted as Amaze this time by the insurers. Please send the concerned a legal notice through a lawyer asking compliance within two weeks or else face the consequences with a civil suit claiming specific relief, compensation, costs and damages.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 19:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The reason I'm pushing Acko's name is that they pull vehicle information (year, make, model etc.) from the Government's Vaahan database based on your registration number. There's simply no scope to get these facts wrong with them.
Yet they did get it wrong in my case. Acko shows my car as a Porsche macan
while policybazaar shows it correctly as a Magnite.
Old 14th July 2022, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

The Honda City of yours has also been demoted as Amaze this time by the insurers. Please send the concerned a legal notice through a lawyer asking compliance within two weeks or else face the consequences with a civil suit claiming specific relief, compensation, costs and damages.
What would be the ballpark cost estimate for getting such a legal notice sent ?
Old 15th July 2022, 19:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Team_BHP,

I happen to notice the motor insurance for the Honda city has a grave error on it. The Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT with a IDV of 870000.00.
Requesting for some views on this.
I think insurance companies respective/local branch will rectify the mistake if notified with proper documentation.
(Must make the correction as early as possible)

On a different note, Solapur RTO issued me RC of 7040 CC Tiago, also they misprinted XT instead of XZ. (The car insurance documents and online registration details were fine without any mistake.)

After giving written application for issuing new corrected RC, the RTO office gave me same RC with hand written correction and official stamp on it
Have a look at it
New car with wrong insurance: My Honda City policy says it's for an Amaze-371d19c5ffed42f5a6d8dc85cbc4e6ae.jpeg
Old 31st July 2022, 23:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Honda City CVT ZX from Capital Honda Chennai in Feb 2022 and have been enjoying the ride for the past 6 months.
At the outset, congratulations on your purchase. A superb, reliable and very comfortable sedan

Quote:
Insurance document has the car model as Amaze 1.2 VX CVT Petrol and cubic capacity as 1199 with a IDV of 870000.00. I paid almost 1800000 for this car!
The Engine number mentioned matches the car
Wanted to reach out as to what to do in the interim, is it fine for me to use the car or the insurance is void.
Please check if the engine and chassis number in your vehicle, RC and insurance is same. In india liability insurance premium is compulsory and is fixed by govt based on engine capacity for IC engine vehicles

Slab 1: Upto 1000cc
Slab 2: 1000 to 1500cc
Slab 3: Above 1500cc

Since both Amaze and City come under slab 2, you need not fear any legal hassles while using vehicle in public roads

For coverage to vehicle in case of accidental damage its safer to ensure that the following details are correct:

1) Make, Model, Fuel type and cubic capacity
2) Engine and Chassis number
3) Insured Declared Value (Value of vehicle in insurance policy determined as a percentage of ex showroom price)

From your post, i am assuming that insurance was taken through dealer.

Send an e mail communication enumerating your conundrum to both Insurance Company and the dealership along with a copy of RC and insurance

Since cost of City is higher than Amaze, the IDV needs an upward revision. They would demand additional premium. Also they may ask you to bring your vehicle for a physical inspection. Once all this is done, you will get an endorsement document showing correct IDV, make and model.

Quote:
Now, if your insurer is a PSU - this is going to be a tough ask. Those folks sell and maintain policies through outdated systems and such changes are sometimes impossible for them
All PSU insurance companies currently have capability to maintain policies and make endorsements.

A decade ago they were slow to upgrade to newer tech. However, endorsements were never an issue. Worst case scenario: They will provide a manually endorsed document (complete with signature and seal of the responsible employee)

Quote:
My experience with a couple of desi PSU insurers is that they simply cannot handle endorsements (such as the OP's situation), cancellations, refunds etc.
Did the endorsement issue to your vehicle happen recently ? Nowadays such instances are very very rare.

Also pvt ins co.s are fully dependent on tech for any and all kinds of endorsement and corrections. Even they face bottlenecks for endorsements and cancellations

The PSU's still issue documents with manual endorsements in case of emergency

Full disclaimer: I am associated with General Insurance industry

Quote:
The reason I'm pushing Acko's name is that they pull vehicle information (year, make, model etc.) from the Government's Vaahan database based on your registration number. There's simply no scope to get these facts wrong with them
Digit, Phone Pe (intermediary) and many other pvt insurance companies and intermediaries use data from Vahan. Occassionally they screw up as experience from other Bhpians elucidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My car which is actually a Mini Cooper S, shows up on Acko as a Mercedes Benz S Class 450.
Quote:
Interesting. Do check once if your car's details are showing up correctly on the Vaahan portal. If it's alright over there, it means even Acko is not infallible
The following Bhpian confirms that Policy Bazaar fetches correct vehicle details, whereas Acko has stumbled for same vehicle. So Acko software seems to have some kind of bug/defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Yet they did get it wrong in my case. Acko shows my car as a Porsche macan
while policybazaar shows it correctly as a Magnite.
Voodooblaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I didn't intend to just advertise for Acko as such, early on in this thread. As a guy who works on selling and working on digital transformation of systems for insurers, I was holding up private insurers such as Acko, HDFC Ergo etc. as a Gold standard for service levels, because they're the ones who make lots of tech investments in general.

But I am glad to have had this conversation with fellow members out here - I know a thing or two now, that I didn't before! I am glad that we have placed the facts out here for our members and non-members to read and reflect upon.

Here was my own abysmal experience with a PSU insurer in 2018. I had purchased a used A Star AT and the PSU insurer simply couldn't change the name on the insurance policy for me. I had to drive 25 km to their regional office twice to no avail. I asked them if they can at least cancel the policy so I can get a pro-rated refund and they said they just couldn't do it!

I ended up buying a 2nd policy from Acko whilst the PSU insurer's policy was still active! That's perhaps the real reason why I have viewed Acko as the knight in shining armor.

I stand corrected.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here was my own abysmal experience with a PSU insurer in 2018...
The main deal for a customer with insurance is how the claims are processed and not how fancy their computerisation and 24x7 call centres are. In this regard PSUs are much better (based on my personal experience). Yes, they lack the tech infrastructure and sophistication but you are likely to deal with human beings that are empowered to take a decision and get the stuff done.

My health insurance is with Oriental and cars are insured with United India. I have had very good experience with both when it comes to claims. To be honest, I absolutely dread calling a 24x7 call centre in India - they are just brainless bots who can't do $*%$ beyond repeatedly reading out what's on the computer screen. They make you feel so helpless. I don't mind the alleged inefficiency of the PSU insurers but I really value the experience of dealing with human beings who can take a decision.

Same goes with banking, I prefer PSUs with their old school customer service. For all routine low value transactions, I use private banks. I prefer PSU bank (SBI) for all high touch/value services.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The main deal for a customer with insurance is how the claims are processed and not how fancy their computerisation and 24x7 call centres are.
Most of us do not even file a claim on our car insurance policies; and this becomes a question of frequency of interactions with the company versus severity of the context when we interact with them...death by a thousand cuts is a thing too.

Specifically in my case, the PSU in question made me drive 100 Km in all - before they threw up their hands on a routine policyholder name change request. That, to me, is a deal-breaker. In fact, to insure a vehicle with the PSU in question, they require you to drive to their center for a visual in-person inspection. And here's why I seem to love Acko (but I can equally appreciate any other company that offers similar levels of service) - an inspector came home, took pictures and a PDF report was sent to me in 20 minutes flat along with the policy booklet PDF.

And it's not that car insurance claim experiences with private companies is untowardly bad. In fact, it can be way better with private players - as it has proven in my experiences.
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of us do not even file a claim on our car insurance policies; and this becomes a question of frequency of interactions with the company versus severity of the context when we interact with them...death by a thousand cuts is a thing too.
Well that's a risky route to take; for the fact that one doesn't wants to be the one doing the running at the time of an accident/claim situation. It's like saying I'd take any term insurance - given that most of us would never (hope to) file a claim on that.

With my cars, I have stuck to private & well-known players for that very reason; especially after my only insurance claim experience with a PSU (UTI) for my bike nearly 15 years ago; where I had to run after them for getting the claim process done. All this while my bike was in the garage and I had additional bandages on me (thankfully minor) - it was a pain and on the contrary I have had exemplary experiences on the 3 times I have gone for claims on my car(s) - with Tata AIG and Bajaj Allianz.

If I had to pick between running around for raising a claim and filing for insurance cover, I'd pick the latter any day. Of course, all of us would prefer not running for either situation.

Quote:
And it's not that car insurance claim experiences with private companies is untowardly bad. In fact, it can be way better with private players - as it has proven in my experiences.
+1
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:26   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of us do not even file a claim on our car insurance policies; and this becomes a question of frequency of interactions with the company versus severity of the context when we interact with them...
Agree with Ninja, as above.

@Locusjag, if we go by your statement, then one can extrapolate that to say most drivers hardly get into accidents or go into claiming - then why have insurance.

Insurance itself is to cover the risk of an untoward incident, and having correct particulars on the policy is as straight and necessary as doing anything else correctly/as per guidelines or rules or law. Having incorrect details on the policy will complicate any claim process, and it is best to avoid such things - especially when the resolution to the issue is as simple as getting it corrected.
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
In fact, to insure a vehicle with the PSU in question, they require you to drive to their center for a visual in-person inspection. And here's why I seem to love Acko (but I can equally appreciate any other company that offers similar levels of service) - an inspector came home, took pictures and a PDF report was sent to me in 20 minutes flat along with the policy booklet PDF.
Visual inspection is needed only when a policy expires. Otherwise previous policy and RC suffice

Currently PSU's have facility of sending an agent to inspect the vehicle at customers place and upload pics through their in-house app. Of course, it's not as sauve as the new gen pvt companies, but will get the job done. Similarly policy is sent via Mail when payment is done online.
Old 6th September 2022, 19:54   #29

Hi, so it happened that last year when i renewed my Honda Amaze existing policy online through one of the leading portals and accidentally claimed the 'NCB' @ 25% unknowingly instead of 20%. Well, few months later after 4 months, i get an update in a regular mail that policy is not in force due this error and to pay around 50 Rs.(over the bumper to bumper zero dep policy). Now, if it all i were to claim any insurance during that period where due to this unknowng error, it wouldn't have been honored and its not just limited to normal repairs but also theft or a total loss as well. Also, there was no online link to pay this small amount and a Demand Draft had to be made and mailed via regular post that was sent to delay this furter. And this year, they put the age incorrectly for the beneficiary for the spouse as '75' instead of '38'. So, once again i had to call customer care and spend time to get it corrected. Now, here's my two cents, please check with the customer care and please read all the details carefully including engine number, chasis number etc. and all other minute details once you get the policy document because you could be denied the entire purpose of being 'insured' because someone at the backend missed something. Drive safe
Digvj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed