Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 23:32   #16
BHPian

re: Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma

Had some queries regarding claiming insurance after a car accident.

Met with an accident in BR hills. The driver side of the car has multiple dents and a large scratch extending till the rear bumper. Happened after oncoming downhill traffic grazed the driver side of my Honda city at the end of a turn.

My insurance policy is from National Insurance. It’s a 2014 Honda City CVT with comprehensive insurance. Their website mentions multi brand garages for cashless claim, but no Honda ASS in that list.

1. Would it make sense to go ahead for ASS since the lot of denting, tinkering and repainting is required?

2. If I do decide to go ahead with a non ASS garage/body shop, any decent suggestions for central Bangalore?
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_10 View Post

What is a good measure / metric folks use to decide this (especially when the amount is not too huge nor too small) ?
From purely numbers perspective, the below calculation shows that with a 7 year car, the loss of NCB over next 5 years is 4600. (9000-4400)
so, with insurance claim you lose total 4700 (including dedcutible)
with your own funds, you lose 12k.

From purely numbers standpoint, go for the insurance claim.
If I consider qualitative, potential 2nd hand buyers always assume a 10 year old car is bound to have some minor repairs. What they care more about is engine and looks during the final sale. It's impossible to convince them otherwise anyway, even if you maintain it pristine.

Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma-claims-calculation.png
asitmonty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:04   #18
BHPian

@all, thanks a lot for the inputs. I believe I will go with the majority - to claim insurance. Also made sense that its my last year for zero deductible and my NCB taking a hit should not matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitmonty View Post
From purely numbers standpoint, go for the insurance claim.
If I consider qualitative, potential 2nd hand buyers always assume a 10 year old car is bound to have some minor repairs. What they care more about is engine and looks during the final sale. It's impossible to convince them otherwise anyway, even if you maintain it pristine.

Attachment 2374324
This is so true, its just that the Trend automotives person had asked me not to go for insurance for smaller claims, I started thinking more about it (it does have some merit to it), but I was not able to qualitatively break it to say what would be a good point to tilt from one side to another.

Last edited by warp_10 : 3rd November 2022 at 10:06. Reason: Wanted to add more content.
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_10 View Post
the Trend automotives person had asked me not to go for insurance for smaller claims
Insurance representatives will always advise against claims. It's a headache for them, and because they get minimal commission on renewal, the little extra commission from a higher renewal price is not worth the headache.

Garages that are tied up with insurance don't get the full bill paid by insurance. Especially for cashless tie ups. I know this first hand because of my data analytics work with insurance companies. We see all the numbers.

What 99% people do not know is that for any General Insurance cashless claim (health, motor, courier, etc.), let's say the insurance company gets a bill of 100. They have pre-negotiated to get a certain %age discount on the bill. That discount varies from 5% to 40% depending on how desperate the provider is to get the insurance company on their charts, to get extra business through the company's insurance holders. So, for that bill of 100, the insurance company will pay between 60-95.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt this info might help some people realize that neither the Insurance company nor the Garage have your best interest at heart (sort of obvious though).
asitmonty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 14:19   #20

Re: Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma

I too have the same confusion.
ASC quoted 20-25K for fixing the dent and painting the panels with insurance.
Got a quote of 12K from outside.

My car is relatively new - just 1.5 years old.
Attached pics of damage.

From the previous comments by members, I think it is better to go with insurance.
Will that be the right decision ?
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma-img20221105125201.jpg  

Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma-img20221105125152.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2022, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Re: Insurance claim or pay out-of-pocket dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojmathewcm View Post
I too have the same confusion.
ASC quoted 20-25K for fixing the dent and painting the panels with insurance.
Got a quote of 12K from outside.

My car is relatively new - just 1.5 years old.
Attached pics of damage.

From the previous comments by members, I think it is better to go with insurance.
Will that be the right decision ?
Definitely go with the insurance. It was like 90% of the posts advised for insurance.

Rule of thumb I understood from this is if cost > NCB discount and cost > 10-15k (I believe folks will need to adjust to their car IDV and I assume this was given for a 5-7 lakh IDV), go for insurance.
warp_10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks