Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:23   #16

Re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

So, after waiting for ~5 days (including SAT-SUN) today the surveyor called me and told me that my insurance claim has been approved, and they have informed the workshop for resuming the repair work.

On asking him about the repair estimate he told me to check with the Service Center guys. When I checked with the service center POC he told me the estimate is about a lac, but he didn't tell me the exact amount and the breakup. He was insisting that my insurance was 100% (Nill Dep) so I won't have to pay anything but some 5k as a processing fee. On asking about the breakup he was hushing and started talking randomly, that the Bumper & fender will be replaced and the bonnet and 2 front doors will be repainted. I've asked the surveyor on call & whatsapp message to send me the email on the same, but still waiting from him.

I'm sorry, but with around ~15 years of driving experience this is my first experience with any insurance claim, so wanted to know if this is the general process followed everywhere. Or should I take something in writing, over email, or something?

Also is there a checklist of the insurance claim process & best practices to be followed on this forum/website?

Last edited by manub22 : 3rd April 2023 at 19:39. Reason: added few more details
Old 5th April 2023, 21:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub22 View Post

I'm sorry, but with around ~15 years of driving experience this is my first experience with any insurance claim, so wanted to know if this is the general process followed everywhere. Or should I take something in writing, over email, or something?

Also is there a checklist of the insurance claim process & best practices to be followed on this forum/website?
Generally, the insurance claim process is cashless and seamless. And the estimate you received is based on the workshop advisor's estimate. Generally, the final amount is less than the estimate they would advise post-completion of repair. You can ask them about the estimate of your contribution (a lac minus the insurance settlement)
I have never taken anything in writing, and your repair is limited to metallic and plastic parts. So chill.
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 00:56   #18
BHPian

Whatever happened was unfortunate. Thankfully, things ended on a positive note with not a very big hole in your pocket. You were lucky it was just 2 canines with some damage to the bumper. Back in 2016, there was an incident in Turkey wherein 8 strays ripped out the entire bumper of the Corolla in this video.

yatesh.92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:43   #19

Quick update on the insurance claim. Claim initiated on 28th March (3 weeks now)

They had promised to hand over my car last Tuesday i.e. 11th April. But on the same day, the service person called and told me that the denting & painting is done and he shared the pics after asking multiple times and taking a few days. But told me that the wiring under the bonnet is also damaged so they have to put in a new order for it and I have to wait for 4-5 more days.

Now it's been a whole week and they have been telling me that the order of the wiring is taking time. Today (17th April) they were supposed to give me the car, but it seems there is a delay.

I'm somewhat ok with the car being held in their garage, as I can understand things can take time. But ideally, they could have checked the fault in the wiring on the same day of the survey itself and would have saved time.

Not sure if they are buying time for something that I don't know, and now I'm worrying & thinking if my car is safe or not after being parked so long in their garage !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230413-10.37.51.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230413-10.37.54.jpeg  

Old 20th April 2023, 18:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...the surveyor called me and told me that my insurance claim has been approved, and they have informed the workshop for resuming the repair work.
Faced the exact scenario a couple of years back where stray dogs had ripped open the bumper near the fender, bit into both fender panels along the wheel arch and scratched the bonnet as well.

The folks at the service center mentioned that this is a common scenario where stray dogs try to bite open the car along the fender if a rat which they have been chasing takes refuge in your car. Had no issues reporting the same and the claim approval.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 00:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

As it is third party coverage is totally useless as everyone prefers settling mutually as opposed to going to court and leaving vehicles at the police station .
When there is major injury/death, people definitely file FIR’s and claim compensation

By law the RC owner is responsible for the compensation. Insurance company takes over the financial part. Any fines / punishment meted by government is to be borne by the RC owner of offending vehicle
Old 21st April 2023, 19:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update on the insurance claim. Claim initiated on 28th March (3 weeks now)

They had promised to hand over my car last Tuesday i.e. 11th April. But on the same day, the service person called and told me that the denting & painting is done and he shared the pics after asking multiple times and taking a few days. But told me that the wiring under the bonnet is also damaged so they have to put in a new order for it and I have to wait for 4-5 more days.
Sir, I am a Surveyor (albeit a Marine Hull / Boat surveyor & not a Motor Surveyor) and I had earlier advised you to keep an email trail of each and every discussion / agreement / conversation between you, the auto garage, the surveyor and the insurance company.

Sending an email to all the above stake holders (essentially keeping everyone in the loop) every time any discussion happened including a telephone call is how you build-up your case in the event of anything that could possibly go awry as it appears to have happened now.

For example, when the service person called you on 11th April and shared some information about the repair status of your car, all you had to was shoot an email sharing the conversation with the insurance company, the surveyor and the repair garage too. If you have sent such an email, you can always send another email after a few days asking for status update.

Please remember that telephonic conversations, in-person discussions / agreements / assurances etc by a garage or a surveyor or an insurance company can always be disputed/refused to have even taken care in the absence of any written evidence. What will you do if the same service man tomorrow states that such a conversation never happened?

As a surveyor, I use email correspondance extensively in all the Marine Hull claims that I handle so that each and every conversation is recorded and shared with all stake holders. I have been able to report a few fraud claims when the claimant (the insured) tries to change the narrative half way when he realises that the claim may not be admissible in the first place as per policy conditions. Consider the email trail similar to a crypto - block chain where every transaction is irreversible.

Please don't worry as to what others will think. You speak with garage, shoot an email with all details to everyone, you speak with surveyor, shoot an email with all details to everyone, you speak with the insurance company on mobile, confirm the same through the email. Hope that helps

Last edited by ashkamath : 21st April 2023 at 19:11. Reason: Spelling correction
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks