Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2023, 13:20   #1

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Last weekend I was admitted to a hospital for a small surgery. As no Ola/Uber was showing up early in the morning, I thought to drive myself thinking that I will call some friend while returning. Now I think that I could have avoided this mess if I would have waited a few extra minutes or an hour for a cab to take me to the hospital.

So, I took my car accompanied by my wife for a small surgery at a nearby hospital, where I had to stay 24 hrs as they has to give me general anesthesia & some stitches, and for observation.

The next day of discharge in the hospital premise basement parking I found my car (Honda City 4th Gen) in a very bad condition from the front side. It was shocking to see the view of my single-hand driven car with no history of accidents in last 6 years of ownership. It was very badly bitten, scratched, and plastic parts & cladding ripped off.
- The bumper was literally chewed & ripped from both sides
- The front honeycomb grill was broken and had big holes
- Both the fenders were badly scratched & deformed
- The front wheel cladding & engine bay, and mud flaps were all ripped off from their place, including some part of fog-lamp wiring.

I took the pics from the scene and also got the CCTV footage from the hospital parking maintenance office. Got to know from the CCTV footage that the incident happened between 5-6 am, and dogs had gone berserk as a mouse had entered the car engine bay, and all the dogs wanted to chase him out !!!

I've started the claim process, and they have told me they will contact me in 24-48 hrs. I have heard that the claim is difficult in case of animal damage, if anybody has similar experience please help here, thanks !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.15-4.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.15.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.14.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.15-1.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.15-3.jpeg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-whatsapp-image-20230318-18.45.15-2.jpeg  

Last edited by manub22 : 27th March 2023 at 13:28.
manub22 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 15:58   #2
BHPian

re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manub22 View Post
and dogs had gone berserk as a mouse had entered the car engine bay, and all the dogs wanted to chase him out !!!
As soon as I started reading your post, I knew this will be the cause. I also ended up in a similar situation, but the damage was much less. The dogs made minor scratches on both fenders, front bumper and chewed a small part of the mud flaps. The mouse which entered the car also bit of some sponge kind of material that was on the engine bay (think this was to provide noise insulation inside cabin). The damages were not much visible , so I didn't bother claiming insurance. I switched the insurance that year to HDFC and I asked them if animal/rodent attacks are covered as part of the insurance and they said yes. I was not so convinced and read the T&C and I couldn't find any clause telling such incidents will not be covered. Since you haven't mentioned your insurance provider do go through their T&C on what is covered and what is not.
d.w.w. is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 17:10   #3
BHPian

re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Quote:

I've started the claim process, and they have told me they will contact me in 24-48 hrs. I have heard that the claim is difficult in case of animal damage, if anybody has similar experience please help here, thanks !!!

The claim is payable under most motor policies(Unless you have some specific policy excluding such losses).

This type of loss will come under "Accidental External Means". The animal's name or type is immaterial.

A dog biting your car's bumpers, an elephant poking a hole in your car with its tusks or a rat biting your car's wiring - All these will fall under "Accidental External Means".

Last edited by The Mechanic : 27th March 2023 at 17:15.
The Mechanic is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 19:58   #4
ike
BHPian

Re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post

This type of loss will come under "Accidental External Means". The animal's name or type is immaterial.

A dog biting your car's bumpers, an elephant poking a hole in your car with its tusks or a rat biting your car's wiring - All these will fall under "Accidental External Means".
I don't mean to argue and I'm not an expert in this, but would insurance be able to reject the claim citing it as an "act of god"?
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 20:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I don't mean to argue and I'm not an expert in this, but would insurance be able to reject the claim citing it as an "act of god"?
No, it would be covered under Act of Dog.
ani_meher is offline   (112) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 20:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
As far as I am aware, losses due to any cause that can be termed as Act of God is not specifically excluded in Motor Policy. Especially since Act of God causes such as fire, flood etc. are covered.

I am attaching a set of standard wordings for reference. (Please use this only as a basic reference. Always go through your particular policy or policy of any company you are planning to take insurance policy for 100% accurate details).
Attached Thumbnails
Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-0001.jpg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-0002.jpg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-0003.jpg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-0004.jpg  

Car ripped off & bitten by dogs in hospital parking | Will insurance cover the claim?-0005.jpg  

The Mechanic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 20:56   #7
BHPian

Ideally there should be no reason to deny claim. Why the hell do we pay premiums for? A donation every year? For selective coverage? Cars are exposed 24 hours to all the elements and any kind of accident can happen anytime anywhere. It is a damage. Period. Insurance coverage is exactly for that.

There should be no scope for any investigation on dogs, cows or lions.

As it is third party coverage is totally useless as everyone prefers settling mutually as opposed to going to court and leaving vehicles at the police station .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 23:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I believe you have a comphrensive insurance policy. The policy covers your vehicle in every possible way when it is parked and any damages that may be inflicted on the vehicle due to man made, natural elements or collision caused by an animal, theft and vandalism. So your insurance covers the loss.

1. Approach the insurance office with a written letter lodging your claim.
2. The insurance office will provide you a claim form
3. Fill the claim form and provide the details requested.
4. If the claim amount is a small amount, then an in-house person from the insurance office will visit the garage / workshop where your car is parked for repairs and collect the necessary information about the damage and also take necessary photographs.
5. If the claim amount is substantial, then a surveyor shall be appointed by the insurance office and you may have to provide the documents requested by the surveyor and liaise with him and facilitate his survey of the damages to your car at the garage / workshop.
6. Subject to admission of liability by the insurer, your claim should be settled without any issues after applicable depreciation, deductible excess etc as per policy conditions.

I see it as a straight forward claim. There shouldn't be any issues.

Remember, always build an email (correspondance) trail with the insurer so that you build your case ( to be on safer side).
Right from lodging the claim, keep an email trail.
Everything should be through an email. Any phone calls ( discussions / agreements) should be followed by email referencing the phone call and the discussion / agreements arrived at.
When you submit documents to the surveyor, send an email to surveyor and the insurer with soft copies of the same.
Kindly ask the surveyor to send any request through email (after phone call).
Be very careful with your correspondance with the insurer / surveyor. If in doubt consult your garage / workshop Manager.
I stress this aspect because there are times when the insurer / surveyor back out of their statements or agreements or twist / mis construe the deliberations. So an email puts to rest any misunderstandings.

Hope that helps

Last edited by ashkamath : 28th March 2023 at 23:07. Reason: Spelling correction
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 00:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly I think before even all this speculations you should have let the insurance company come back to you with there verdict, it’s all a moot discussion if they will just approve your claim in the stipulated time.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:40   #10

Thanks to all of you for your inputs and valuable information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Remember, always build an email (correspondence) trail with the insurer so that you build your case ( to be on the safer side).
Thank you for the great suggestion, I will make sure to keep an email trail.

Yesterday, I handed over my car to the service center (Pride Honda, Bachupally Rd). The service person mentioned today surveyor will come and provide all the details of the work that needs to be done with the cost. Will update here once I hear from them.

Here is a clear view of the damages I took yesterday:

Last edited by manub22 : 29th March 2023 at 11:49. Reason: spelling mistakes
manub22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 09:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Honestly I think before even all this speculations you should have let the insurance company come back to you with there verdict, it’s all a moot discussion if they will just approve your claim in the stipulated time.
I second this. I understand OP's anxiety, especially as it came immediately after a health problem. However, as the claim is yet to be responded to, it's futile to speculate and get upset over insurance companies and their policies.
Pennant1970 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 10:35   #12
cka
BHPian

I had the exact same incident with my 2016 S-Cross when it was parked in apartment's basement last year. I was on business travel and was sent pics of the damage. The photos looked exactly the same.
Once I came back, I just got a bumber fixing by a local garage for 500 bucks and then sold the car in same condition few months later to Cars24
cka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 11:56   #13

I'm still waiting to hear from the surveyor and the service center. Will call them by evening if I don't hear from them... hope all goes well !!!

Here is the footage of CCTV I got where 2 dogs can be seen damaging the car, and it looks like they are trying to take something (rat here) out from the car bonnet...

manub22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 20:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Back in the day (circa 2016), I had my car's passenger side scratched by a bull with horns. Didn't penetrate the body though. Both doors and rear quarter panel. Bharti Axa (now ICICI) paid full with no hesitation at all. The only difference is that I was driving the car when it happened and was passing through a narrow lane.

Last edited by bordeaux : 30th March 2023 at 20:23.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 02:05   #15

Sorry buddy to see this damage. I had a similar occurrence in 2021 and a claim took care of the replacement (left fender). Hope the SVC helps you to get the claim done and this ordeal ends soon for you. Insurance was from SBI (via dealership).
jazrox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks