Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 23:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
When my 4 day old indica got scraped by a drunk teenager in a UNO, I took away his keys and went home. I warned his dad and uncle, that unless they get it repaired at their cost, I will file a drunken driving case against their honhaar puttar.

My car was promptly repaired. Since then the drunkard teen has scraped a few more cars in the colony. :(
you should have beaten the **** out of him and then taken his keys...

i hope your indica is back to normal... the first dent is always the worst
Old 6th August 2007, 23:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post

Drove to a temple near by, deposited the 300 rs (i didnt want to use a hard earned 300rs of that poor driver...somehow my heart was not accepting)
that's a nice thing you did man
Old 9th December 2009, 03:19   #18

Hi fellow BHPians – This is my 1st post on Team-BHP. I know this thread was posted in 2007 but after reading through I could not hold myself back from writing down my experience in a similar situation.
My friend had an accident the other day… some guys rammed into his car scrapping the front, back door and a portion of the rear. He called the 100 number and cops came down in no time and then called me to the spot. The guys in the other car were drunk and when at the police station requested us not to file the FIR instead assured that they will repair the car. My friend was very clear in stating that the car was to be repaired at a Maruti Service Center which they agreed upon. Took their names, address and phone no. called the next day only to realize that the assurance was not completely true. One of those guys owned a service station with washing, tinkering and paint facility, and said that he will repair the car at his facility. Repeatedly reiterating the discussion we had the previous night did not yield any desired results. So now my friend has decided to go to the cops and file an FIR against them since they did not stick to their word and that did not concern them now.
Not sure if this is the right approach now ??? but the feeling of feeling helpless is truly the worst feeling. . . . .

P.S: I also spoke to a couple of folks around in office today and they said that in situations like this its either an FIR or Cash In Hand. . . the repair the car thingy really does not help unless you are some influential figure. . .

Last edited by aah78 : 9th December 2009 at 05:35. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breston View Post
Hi fellow BHPians – This is my 1st post on Team-BHP. I know this thread was posted in 2007 but after reading through I could not hold myself back from writing down my experience in a similar situation.
My friend had an accident the other day… some guys rammed into his car scrapping the front, back door and a portion of the rear. He called the 100 number and cops came down in no time and then called me to the spot. The guys in the other car were drunk and when at the police station requested us not to file the FIR instead assured that they will repair the car. My friend was very clear in stating that the car was to be repaired at a Maruti Service Center which they agreed upon. Took their names, address and phone no. called the next day only to realize that the assurance was not completely true. One of those guys owned a service station with washing, tinkering and paint facility, and said that he will repair the car at his facility. Repeatedly reiterating the discussion we had the previous night did not yield any desired results. So now my friend has decided to go to the cops and file an FIR against them since they did not stick to their word and that did not concern them now.
Not sure if this is the right approach now ??? but the feeling of feeling helpless is truly the worst feeling. . . . .

P.S: I also spoke to a couple of folks around in office today and they said that in situations like this its either an FIR or Cash In Hand. . . the repair the car thingy really does not help unless you are some influential figure. . .
This is too old thread to write to but still...

Cash in hand is the best option in this kind of cases. FIR is a problem with police and every thing.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
This is too old thread to write to but still...

Cash in hand is the best option in this kind of cases. FIR is a problem with police and every thing.
Agreed. But how many people out there would be ready to hand over cash in hand? Even if it is their mistake?
Old 10th December 2009, 11:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Agreed. But how many people out there would be ready to hand over cash in hand? Even if it is their mistake?
In that case approaching the insurance company is the only option for the claim.
Old 8th December 2011, 15:05   #22

Re: What to do in case of a minor car accident

Hi,

I have been a regular reader of Team-BHP from a long time (2/3 years now). I have turned to the forum for getting myself updated about lot of things related to cars/bikes and generally about our relationship with our machines. We own two cars, a Ford Fiesta which takes me daily to office and a Tata Safari which ferries my husband to Ghansoli.

Was always an on-looker/consumer till this incident happened on Sunday 4th Dec at 11:30pm. We were traveling back from one of the programs (a karate demonstration for my 14-yr old son) which went a bit late.

There was this old Baleno MH02KA775, which was at high speed, came and rammed into our 2 yr old Ford Fiesta MH02BA3710 with the rear side right tyre exposed totally and the rear side of the car totally smashed and out of place. After hitting us, the car rammed into the road divider and hit another Honda City coming from the other side of the road.

The Baleno was being driven by this young looking fair chap, calling himself Vishal Bhatt (stays at Daulat Nagar, Borivali E). The crowd that gathered was mad at him, would have beaten him black and blue, but out of humanitarian reasons, my husband reached out to this chap, put a hand round his shoulder and saved him from the crowd's wrath. That boy was very scared. He said a big thank you and said that he would pay up all expenses. His brother (Medhavan Bhatt) came over and thanked us for taking care of his brother who was totally shaken up.

The impact was very large and we escaped a sure death, especially myself and my son since he rammed in the right side of the car. After exchanging numbers, and towing our cars, we came back home.

We recd an estimate yesterday from the Ford Service center of 1 lac and more which we shared with the boy. He firstly never answered our calls and when he did, he handed the phone to his advocate father, Mahendra Bhatt. This gentleman was very nasty with us on the phone and said that we cannot demand any money from his son. His son was not at fault and intact they have an estimated 2 lacs expenses on their car and that we should pay that.

This turn of events left me and my husband aghast. All our good gesture towards the boy that day was washed off in a second. His father,being an advocate and more aware of the law is threatening to file a case on us saying that we were at fault.

Today I feel like I have been cheated and am looking for a way to stop this happening with anybody else. What would your advice be ? How do I make that family repent for their doing ?

Very Sad!
Jayshree Nayak

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2011 at 03:35. Reason: Removing phone number to save privacy, thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 22:19   #23
BHPian

This is shocking indeed. The 1st thought i have is do you any pictures of the accident , any witness , maybe the honda city guy or any others who can help you file an FIR against that wacko kid and his dad.

any other suggestions from fellow team bhpians will help .

Incidents like these make you feel not to help anyone but again the soft corner to help another human takes over , sad indeed .

wish you the best to get out this as soon as possible.
Old 8th December 2011, 22:35   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by njayshree View Post
Hi,
We recd an estimate yesterday from the Ford Service center of 1 lac and more which we shared with the boy. He firstly never answered our calls and when he did, he handed the phone to his advocate father, Mahendra Bhatt. This gentleman was very nasty with us on the phone and said that we cannot demand any money from his son. His son was not at fault and intact they have an estimated 2 lacs expenses on their car and that we should pay that.

This turn of events left me and my husband aghast. All our good gesture towards the boy that day was washed off in a second. His father,being an advocate and more aware of the law is threatening to file a case on us saying that we were at fault.
Sorry to hear about the incidence. Glad that you guys are safe. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but there is hardly anything that can be done in this scenario. A police case from your side or his side is not going to help in any way as far as the repair bill/compensation is concerned.

My advice is to get the repair done from your insurance and move on.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 22:58   #25
BHPian

I would suggest to forgive and forget. It is difficult but believe me, it would be less stressful this way.

I learnt this the hard way a couple of years back. A Santro was weaving in and out of traffic and the car overtakes and stops right in front of me - something similar to the gangster movies. I braked but the distance was too less and I ended up with a broken radiator. The Santro tried to drive away but as the bumper had jammed the rear wheel. The driver, a teenaged girl, literally started crying and promised that she would reimburse the damage and that I should not call the cops. She called up her father who also requsted the same thing. As a crowd was gathering and a PCR gypsy was also coming, I agreed. The reason she gave was that she was texting and so did not see me coming!
Called up the father and told him that I would be getting the car repaired at my FNG and he was welcome to come and see the damage and get an idea of the costs. He was cooperative and told me to go ahead.
Now, the twist - I get a bill of approx 12k (radiator repaired, not replaced) which I somehow bargain and get a discount. Call up the gentleman (???) and he threatens me that he would be going to the police and filing a case against me for misbehaviour with his daughter.
Moral of the Story : If you play the good smaritan and the ideal citizen, you get the short end of the stick.
dashoin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 23:30   #26

Surely will remember this blatant lying by the father of that girl!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71
This is shocking indeed. The 1st thought i have is do you any pictures of the accident , any witness , maybe the honda city guy or any others who can help you file an FIR against that wacko kid and his dad.

any other suggestions from fellow team bhpians will help .

Incidents like these make you feel not to help anyone but again the soft corner to help another human takes over , sad indeed .

wish you the best to get out this as soon as possible.
Exactly!! I don't think we will again be the kind hearted couple on the road if we meet with similar circumstances. Got the best learning in our first ever accident!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2011 at 00:59.
Old 11th December 2011, 19:47   #27
BHPian

A cabbie in a sumo banged behind my car and the rear hatch and the bumper have a deep dent caved in. Rear is jammed as well. Cabbie has no money and gives me his ID card and his license copy. Not sure if there is anything i could have done more. Will need to get an estimate tomorrow and then call his office to see if i can coax any money out of him.
Roads are full of morons these days who just don't know how to drive.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Please don't assume cab drivers and lorry drivers are poor.
I know that lorry drivers in Tamil Nadu are paid about 30-40K per month.
Lorry drivers pay 1000-5000 at check posts depending on the legitimacy of the cargo and the overweight.
My solution if you are in a area where you are known and can expect support, get aggressive and demand money or take something in kind.
If you are in an unknown area, or travelling alone, run away and claim insurance giving some false story.
Once in Chennai, A sand lorry pulled off my front bumper and though I overtook him couple of times and asked police at every signal to stop the lorry, cops said they will not do it without a FIR. There were 5 people in the cabin and I was with my wife and daughter.
I claimed insurance saying that I crashed into my gate.
Old 13th December 2011, 17:48   #29

Hey SDP, Dashoin and Fortuner71,

Just to let you guys know, your posts really helped me understand what we go through on our roads daily all around the country.

I did something today for delivering a harmless guilt-trip aka gandhigiri today to the guy who rammed into our car on 4th Dec, 11:30pm.

I went to his office, gave him a bouquet of flowers and said "Thanks for saving our lives!! In future too if you get into some accident, pl. continue saving people's lives". His first reaction was an aghast face trying to lie that he didnt recognise me. Then he did. Anyway, I wish him good luck!

Gives me a lot of mental peace now...I wish the boy immense good in future.

Jayshree
njayshree is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 01:32   #30
BHPian

Indeed a rare , bold and amazing gesture , iam sure it will have an effect one way or the other on the poor hapless soul ( kid ) . Cheers and safe driving .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks