Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2013, 20:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Had a minor accident : Insurance queries

This is a little OT, but brake failure? Was the car being serviced regularly?

This could have been much more dangerous had the speed been higher. Thank God you were slow.

Maruti is reliable that way and hence I would be really interested to know what caused this accident.

And yes, 500 is standard practice. Also the depreciation on plastic and metal parts.

Not sure about the clause of not covering it under insurance since it was caused due to brake failure. If the car was being serviced regularly, then it won't be down to driver carelessness and hence you should be entitled to claim insurance.
Old 1st March 2013, 20:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
This is a little OT, but brake failure? Was the car being serviced regularly?
The servicing was regular. Only difference happened in the usage is it became less - once in a week on average due to buying of another car. Or may be it is less frequent than that sometimes. Don't know whether that can cause this.
Old 1st March 2013, 21:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Had a minor accident when the brakes of my 9 year old wagon R failed during a sudden stop.

(A cyclist came in the way of an auto making the auto stop suddenly. Another car hit the auto from behind due sudden stop. My car's brakes made a "khat" sound when pressed with the pedal loosing all the resistance and it dashed into the next car. It was city traffic, speed was slow, 2nd gear. No major injuries and fortunately minimal damage.)

The dashboard on one side and one headlight were broken. From outside that's all that appears to be the damage, besides of course the failed brake.

Due to brake failure the car was towed to Sai Service, which was nearest of the Maruti service centers from the spot.

Hassle 1 (resolved): This is the last month of current insurance policy and the renewal policy was already filed. The operational folks try telling why we can't get insurance money as we have filed the renewal with NCB and all. But after some argument this was sorted out and the renewal was canceled.

In the following questions "They" refers to Sai service. We are yet to get to talk with National insurance who is our insurer.

Question 1: They are yet to provide any estimates of the expenses or even towing charges. They won't tell anything as they are saying they will assess the vehicle only in front of a surveyor. Is this a common practice?

Question 2: They are charging Rs 500 as "claim charges". Is that a practice and is it fair?

For following questions, I read the policy document which is just a single page certificate. (Nothing else was received from the insurance company.) But there is no mention of any of these points. But the service station people are sure that it is like that for any insurance policy.

Question 3: They are saying "cause of the accident" i.e. brake failure in this case is not covered by any insurance. Is that true?

Question 4: They are saying, for plastic, fiber and rubber parts the insurance company will bear 50% damage and for metallic, it will bear 45 % and rest will have to be borne by us. Is that true? (As I said, nothing like that is found written anywhere.)

Please advise ASAP. We'll have to settle the matter by tomorrow.
1. They should very well be able to provide some estimates looking at the damages/damaged parts. The surveyors assessment can be different though due to their own perception and both will need to concur upon it and you will need to also concur on the coverage after the complete assessment and then go ahead on the work required thereof.

2. Rs 500 is the standard deductible claim processing charges as per IRDA norms. You can check as per the CC of the car. For 1500cc+ it is Rs 1000/-and even more for higher CCs. This must also be printed on your Policy, check carefully the writing in small letters.

3. Brake failure or any car component failure is not covered as a cause. These failures in components are to be borne by owner only. Only the incorrect driving, obstacles, random/stray/rash traffic or any such causes causing impact and damage will be covered so be sure to phrase the accident properly. Generally claims departments are good and help the customers by themselves helping with the causes after understanding the reasons and get max coverages. Baffles me how Maruti guys are acting so. However, if these parts get damaged due to the accident, they should be covered for repair items under claim but not reasons.

4. These are standard depreciation applicable on the respective parts. You could get the same from any insurers site or search on net to get standard depreciation matrix.

Generally, the insurer provides a booklet stating all standard norms along with the policy. If not provided, it should be readily available from their site.

Last edited by parsh : 1st March 2013 at 21:35.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 21:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Only if you were drunk or don't have a valid DL can they refuse insurance. Brake failure or come to that, not even braking at all must be covered by insurance.

Rubber and plastic 50% is correct. Don't know about metal being 45%.

Don't let them cancel your insurance extension. That is a bad idea
Old 1st March 2013, 22:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Actually insurance extension wasn't fully processed. Only a record was made with NCB. Now that will be canceled and created newly without NCB. I think that's fair.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 22:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only if you were drunk or don't have a valid DL can they refuse insurance. Brake failure or come to that, not even braking at all must be covered by insurance.

I can fully agree with you when you say that either driving without a licence or under the influence of liquor above tolerable limits or any other illegal way of driving in violation of the MV Act will not be entertained under insurance claims. Even driving with a learning licence creates a few hassles while claiming insurance.
Metal dents and damages can be claimed 100 % I believe, but not rubber and plastics.
A front passenger's side door of my friend's car was damaged but was repairable. It was also a Maruti. The dealer with his service station co-operated and the claims were for a brand new door as the dealer said the old door if dented would'nt get a good alignment and would maybe rattle.So the service guys generally co-operate.
If the Sai chaps don't co-operate you can take out the car and go to any other authorised dealer, after talking to the latter.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 23:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually insurance extension wasn't fully processed. Only a record was made with NCB. Now that will be canceled and created newly without NCB. I think that's fair.
Oh ok, that makes sense then. As long as insurance exists. It is fair I guess, though if it was already processed, the NCB would not apply for the next time you renewed (in one years time).

How much more do you have to pay now without the NCB
Old 1st March 2013, 23:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brake failure or come to that, not even braking at all must be covered by insurance.
Brake failure as a reason of accident and not being able to brake or not braked are two differently distinct things and attract different treatment. First is out of coverage reason altogether, it directly points to maintenance.

Quote:
Quote:
You wouldn't have been able to claim with the insurance renewal already done. It is better that it is cancelled before renewal completion otherwise it would have to be nullified after the renewal process completion. The NCB will be appropriately zeroed now and new insurance policy will correctly reflect the status of insurance of car.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Metal dents and damages can be claimed 100 % I believe, but not rubber and plastics.
A front passenger's side door of my friend's car was damaged but was repairable. It was also a Maruti. The dealer with his service station co-operated and the claims were for a brand new door as the dealer said the old door if dented would'nt get a good alignment and would maybe rattle.So the service guys generally co-operate.
If the Sai chaps don't co-operate you can take out the car and go to any other authorised dealer, after talking to the latter.
Metal part repairs don't cost you as they can be claimed 100%. However, metal part replacements will always cost as per the depreciation schedule of parts which is as per the age of the vehicle. For 5-10 yr old vehicle, metal part depreciation should be 40%, 45% is higher than norms. There is another ruling in process which if comes into effect, painting will cost you 50% with similar depreciation considered for rubber parts.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 00:57   #54

Honda City - Front Bumper Repairs Dilemma

Ok, so am heading to work in my Honda City (Beige, Oct 2011 model) and waiting to take a right turn. The signal turns green and i move towards the right when an auto on my left takes a sharp U turn, smooching my front bumper leaving a big bruise on the left side of my front bumper and also ripping out my plastic number plate. Also took off the small disc like cap on the front bumper which i am told is called 'Tow eye cap'.

We exchange the customary 'greetings' and he runs off into the distance before i know. (& honestly speaking, i do not know how to deal with a post accident bust-up and hold the other guy accountable, especially auto drivers). Enclosing the photos of the front bumper.

So would like to tap your collective intelligence while weighing the following options:

OPTION 1a: Repaint the entire front bumper from the dealer (Hallmark Honda , Navi Mumbai) and replace the Tow eye cap.

Or

OPTION 1b. Replace the entire front bumper from the dealer (Hallmark Honda, Navi Mumbai)

2. Replace the old number plate with High Security Number Plates (not from the dealer, of course).

Would like you inputs on another dealer related issue; The dealership from where i got the car keeps calling me up every three months for servicing the car. Now my car's "running" is not much (2500 Kms in 15 months) since i travel regularly and am the only driver. So have been putting it off since the usage is low. The mandatory free services are over, mind you. Now am planning to take to the dealer get it serviced and fix the bumper issue at one go.

My queries are:

1. Which one of the options at 1 above is preferable and what would be my likely expenditure for each of the option?

2. Is it possible to get a replacement for the Tow eye cap? What is the cost?

3. Should i make use of the zero-depreciation insurance policy am holding for the car for recouping some of the expenditure?

4. Can u share the contact details of firms manufacturing High Security Number Plates based in Mumbai and how much would a pair cost?

5. Is the dealer likely to charge me additional money for missing any service check ups?

Importantly; please advice me as to how to deal with a post-accident bust up hold the other guy accountable when he is at fault in a civilised way ?

Thank you for your valuable time
Attached Thumbnails
What to do in case of a minor car accident-dsc06197.jpg  

What to do in case of a minor car accident-dsc06198.jpg  

Old 4th March 2013, 12:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City - Front Bumper Repairs Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecat View Post

OPTION 1a: Repaint the entire front bumper from the dealer (Hallmark Honda , Navi Mumbai) and replace the Tow eye cap.

Or

OPTION 1b. Replace the entire front bumper from the dealer (Hallmark Honda, Navi Mumbai)
hi Cheshirecat:
I suspect the area on the bumper where the cap sits, may be damaged. I can also see a few deep cuts on the bumper itself.
In order to deal with the damange:
1) Buy the tow-eye-cap as counter sale from your main dealer.
2) Find out if there is any plastic bumper repair guy near where you stay. There would be threads available here to help you locate someone.
3) Go to such a guy, he will fill in the cuts, and the broken seat using a heat gun and some extra plastic wire.
4) Next you can get the affected area repainted. Since the damage is in a small area, and also on the bumper , you can refer the following post:
This post contains information on when to choose the dealer or your neighbourhood denter/painter.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

Gavaskar Escapes Unscathed From Car Accident

Sunil Gavaskar, who was travelling with Mark Nicholas and a friend escaped unhurt from a high speed car crash in London on Sunday. Their car was a Jaguar - and the post says "Despite the Jaguar taking a severe hit following the collision, all the passengers inside were luckily unhurt".
Speaks volumes about the safety features of a Jag.

http://www.gocricket.com/news/Englan...w/40096726.cms

Last edited by noopster : 12th August 2014 at 14:17. Reason: Post moved- no need to start a new thread for such a minor issue
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 19:55   #57
BHPian

Re: What to do in case of a minor car accident

I had a minor incident 2 weeks back. I was going straight and was about to turn left from a roundabout when a teenaged girl on an activa came from nowhere and hit the left side of the front bumper. I think she was going straight. No damage to the bumper. I braked at once but she slided on the road a bit. Bruises on her arms and feet. Passerby's help her while i park by the side. I offered to take her to the hospital but she refused and we waited for her relative to pick her up. No croud. Her relative comes and takes her, i go my way

All went good till i got a call from her mother that she has filed a complaint with the police and i need to pay. I met her and she demanded rs 5000. I dont want to pay for absolutely no fault of mine but i am afraid if the matter goes to court, my visa file will have complications. Need your input guys
Old 20th December 2014, 13:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

@Pandher, you were in the larger vehicle and so you were in the wrong. She was a GIRL in an ACTIVA so again you are in the wrong. She's injured and you're not, so again you're in the wrong. So legally you will be accused of rash and negligent driving causing simple injury.
But the mother maybe bluffing. ask her to furnish a copy of the FIR.
Also how did she get your number?
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@Pandher, you were in the larger vehicle and so you were in the wrong. She was a GIRL in an ACTIVA so again you are in the wrong.
Thats so unfair man. Letting go the fairer sex even if they are at fault is excessive. What if the girl was in the wrong side of the law? Having a bigger vehicle doesn't surely mean that they are at fault always. Pandher said that the girl intended to go straight.

Surprised to know that the girl's mom calls up and demands money. The call should have come from the cops where the FIR was filed.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
I had a minor incident 2 weeks back.
All went good till i got a call from her mother that she has filed a complaint with the police and i need to pay. I met her and she demanded rs 5000. I dont want to pay for absolutely no fault of mine but i am afraid if the matter goes to court, my visa file will have complications. Need your input guys
What proof they have against you? Are there any witnesses in support of her claim? Demanding money is ridiculous. Ask her in which police station she has filed the case. Approach the police, and if her claims are fake, you give a complaint against her on account of extortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
@Pandher, you were in the larger vehicle and so you were in the wrong. She was a GIRL in an ACTIVA so again you are in the wrong. She's injured and you're not, so again you're in the wrong. So legally you will be accused of rash and negligent driving causing simple injury.
But the mother maybe bluffing. ask her to furnish a copy of the FIR.
Also how did she get your number?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats so unfair man. Letting go the fairer sex even if they are at fault is excessive. What if the girl was in the wrong side of the law? Having a bigger vehicle doesn't surely mean that they are at fault always. Pandher said that the girl intended to go straight.

Surprised to know that the girl's mom calls up and demands money. The call should have come from the cops where the FIR was filed.
Sir, this is India with it's old book of laws. Let me share my experience: My car was parked in a parking slot(approved) beside the road. A drunk biker comes out from no where and dashes against the front right fender. The pillion rider had severe injuries and went into coma. The rider escaped with minor injuries and subsequently a police case has been filed against my vehicle. I had to run from pillar to post claiming my innocense. I got the shock of my life when police gave me ideas as to how to escape punishment. They asked me to own up the accident so that the person who was in coma is covered by 3rd party insurance and they expressed their readiness to present some unknown person as the driver, driving the vehicle. What a sad state of affairs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks