Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 20:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Third party insurance claims

I feel need to revive this thread as the rules may have changed/become convenient. Recently I renewed my insurance and the same thought came into my mind that there are occasions where without my mistake I had to claim the damages on my own insurance losing no claim bonus and incurring minimum co-pay. If both parties agree on whose mistake it is, is there a way to claim third party insurance with same amount of ease as your own claim? Any of the forum members have tried this and can share their experiences?
Old 12th December 2016, 18:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautilya View Post
I feel need to revive this thread as the rules may have changed/become convenient. Recently I renewed my insurance and the same thought came into my mind that there are occasions where without my mistake I had to claim the damages on my own insurance losing no claim bonus and incurring minimum co-pay. If both parties agree on whose mistake it is, is there a way to claim third party insurance with same amount of ease as your own claim? Any of the forum members have tried this and can share their experiences?
To claim third party insurance from the other guy's insurer, you need an FIR. No other option. That's what my understanding is.

If the other person agrees to his mistake, why not get the co-pay and NCB loss amount recovered from him. Would work out less than paying for entire damage surely.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:49   #18
BHPian

Hello,
I have A very noob question.
If my car is insured as 3rd party insurance and is total loss, what is the amount I get from the insurer . Also , is any kind of insurance cover available for the occupants.
Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
If my car is insured as 3rd party insurance and is total loss, what is the amount I get from the insurer . Also , is any kind of insurance cover available for the occupants.
In case of TPL only, the maximum amount one ca get in case of total loss is the IDV agreed between Insurance co and the customer. Generally a lot of factors go in the final amount payable but ideally it should be IDV.

There is a personal accident cover available for the occupants which is calculated as a part of the Insurance premium. It is called "Personal Accident to Unnamed Passengers other than Insured and the Paid Drivers and Cleaner".
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
To claim third party insurance from the other guy's insurer, you need an FIR. No other option. That's what my understanding is.

If the other person agrees to his mistake, why not get the co-pay and NCB loss amount recovered from him. Would work out less than paying for entire damage surely.
yes, this can be done, but then whats the whole point of third party insurance? 3rd party claims process certainly needs to improve in our country. It should be as hassle-free as an own insurance claim.

And this ties to the penalty points system associated with the driver at fault as well. If we diligently start following this, no one would claim on behalf of someone else's mistake.
kautilya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 13:38   #21
BHPian

A two wheeler rider has been asked to pay 28 lakhs as compensation. More details on it are available on the link below.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...ictim-kin.html
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

No third-party relief for victim of own rash driving: Karnataka high court

Quote:
If you borrow a two-wheeler from a friend or a relative and meet with an accident where no other vehicle is involved, you cannot claim compensation from the insurer as a “third-party” to the tragedy.

LINK

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2018 at 14:12.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 15:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Third-party insurance prices hike up to 21% for 2-wheelers and 12% for 4-wheelers

The rates usually change in April. However, the authority is implementing these changes from June 16 for FY20.

Quote:
According to the draft on revised premium rates, the rates for private cars with engine capacity under 1000cc has reached Rs 2,072 in FY20 as compared to Rs 1,850 last year, an increase of 12 per cent. Consumers owning a car with engine capacity between 1000cc to 1500cc will also have to pay around 12.5 per cent increase in premium to Rs 3,221

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2019 at 15:16.
Old 6th June 2019, 15:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Third-party insurance prices hike up to 21% for 2-wheelers and 12% for 4-wheelers

The rates usually change in April. However, the authority is implementing these changes from June 16 for FY20.
Lucky me. I just renewed my Punto's Insurance couple of days back with the old TPL premium rates.

I guess now there will be a mad rush to buy Insurance even for vehicles whose expiry is 45 days further.
Old 31st January 2022, 17:25   #25
BHPian

Bumping this thread.

Here is my situation:

1. My fifth Gen Honda city got rear ended today by a Polo. The Polo driver coolly asks me to claim own damage insurance and drives off. The damage is not much, but the lower portion of the dickey is bent and some scratches on the rear bumper.
2. When I checked with the service guys in Honda for repairs, after checking the photos of the damage say that the full dickey and rear bumper need to be repainted and quoted a charge of 7500 rupees approximately. [I'm attaching the photos]
3. My insurance is up for renewal in Feb, and I've 50% NCB. I've bumper to bumper, nil dep add-ons.

Here are the options that I have in front of me:
1. Claim own damage insurance. This way, I'll lose NCB and pay a processing fee of Rs.1200.
2. Renew the insurance and avail the NCB benefits. Claim the insurance after renewal along with the next accidental repairs.
3. Negotiate with the Service centre and get this repaired with money out of my pocket.
4. File FIR and go through the motions of the 3rd party insurance claims in the motor vehicles tribunal.

Please suggest me an option. Given the arrogance of the Polo driver who did not even feel sorry for the accident, I really wish to take option 4 but not sure how cumbersome it will be. I'm really not upto taking the car to a FNG
Attached Thumbnails
Third party insurance claims-whatsapp-image-20220131-5.22.31-pm.jpeg  

Third party insurance claims-whatsapp-image-20220131-5.20.26-pm.jpeg  

Old 31st January 2022, 18:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Given the arrogance of the Polo driver who did not even feel sorry for the accident, I really wish to take option 4 but not sure how cumbersome it will be. I'm really not upto taking the car to a FNG
If you decide against option 4, do consider that there are good FNGs who would do a professional job at a fraction of the cost quoted by the ASC. The NCB also can be saved. But one needs to choose the FNG wisely.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:07   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post

Please suggest me an option. Given the arrogance of the Polo driver who did not even feel sorry for the accident, I really wish to take option 4 but not sure how cumbersome it will be. I'm really not upto taking the car to a FNG
That doesn't look so bad - I'd live with it. Considering it's an older car (going by the 50% NCB), I would go to a good FNG (or even your service center if they are up to do it) to get the minor bend sorted out and leave the painting scratch(es) for now. That should be a short tinkering job at most.

I wouldn't touch the NCB for now, given it's 50% NCB - money-wise it might not be a big number now, but if you choose to buy a new car in the near future, you can get that transferred and that 50% discount would make a big difference.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That doesn't look so bad - I'd live with it. Considering it's an older car (going by the 50% NCB), I would go to a good FNG (or even your service center if they are up to do it) to get the minor bend sorted out and leave the painting scratch(es) for now. That should be a short tinkering job at most.
Mine is less than a year-old car, a 5th Gen Honda City. I'd transferred my NCB from my previous ride Tata Manza.
Old 27th October 2022, 12:15   #29
BHPian

Third Party Insurance - experiences & know-how

I would like to enlighten myself on this mysterious aspect of insurance which (AFAIK) seems rarely used in our country. Sometimes even in instances for which it's actually made for. The Third Party Insurance.
I tried going through the old posts/threads but, pardon my bad searching skills, found only a few and not too elaborate instances where members mentioned using Third party.

A dedicated thread with actual experiences of people using/claiming it might help to a lot of us use this feature, which we paid for but rarely use, sensibly and safely.

What brought this on for me suddenly is the incident mentioned below:
While having my morning coffee, if 11:30am is still considered morning , I noticed two Maruti's closing at each other on a T junction from the corner of my eye. A loud smack followed a moment later, and my face had the same surprised reaction which old timers have when they see a young couple doing a public display of affection! The two cars, a fairly new Swift Dzire and the older Alto800 had kissed
Ditched the idea of getting popcorn, shouldn't go with the coffee i thought.(Or can it? Please let me know if anyone has tried)
My birds eye view on the situation summarised: The offender Dzire took a blind left turn completely ignoring the oncoming innocent Alto800 which had the right of the way and going straight. The poor Alto800 was shocked, same way any unsuspecting toddler is when ambushed by overly loving aunts and smeared with lipstick on the cheeks, by this unwanted Diwali greeting.
Both cars were loaded with families, the Dzire suffered bumper damage, and luckily for the Alto800 it was on front right headlight and panel. It was a 10kmph vs 20/30kms per hour kiss but looking at the bent panels and sound, felt more passionate then it looked.
Kudos to both gentleman for being gentle in their initial discussion,just like two families having caught their youngsters in an affair and trying to keeping it hushed and get them betrothed. After checking if everyone is safe, the saga of 'who pays the dowry to whom' started with the blame game.
What took my attention was this young educated chap trying to prove to the Dzire's head of the family that he's at fault and he should use insurance to cover his damage as well as third party the Alto's damage. He was unwilling to forgo his NCB and other damages for no fault of theirs. But just like any Indian movie/family, maybe we don't like the unnecessary formalities or headaches later, both seniors shook hands to take this dowry matter and the cost that ensues to a FNG middle man. What happened in the love saga post that, although I am curious, I'll never get to know. And just like the story of newly wed romantic couples who regularly post big messages on Facebook professing their love to the entire world, but later drift apart keeping the spectators oblivious to the undercurrents of their love which has now gone stale, I've made my peace with this story too.

I would like to know:
1: How the above incident would have played out for both parties if Third party insurance was brought into picture.
2: If one party is clearly at fault and you have proof (dashcam or cctv) can we/should we opt for Third party insurance from the offender?
3: Can we just submit the proof to our insurance company and will they work with the offenders insurance company and work it out without our intervention? (This seems like the best way to me since you avoid getting into needless arguments on road and don't suffer any penalties if it's not your mistake)
4: Experiences from other members, successful or unsuccessful, when such a case happened with them.

Apologies to the mods if such a thread already exists, as i failed to find it on my puny mobile screen, and a kind request to merge it.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:38   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Third Party Insurance - experiences & know-how

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
I would like to enlighten myself on this mysterious aspect of insurance which (AFAIK) seems rarely used in our country. Sometimes even in instances for which it's actually made for. [b]
Quoting the relevant portion from another post of mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, do note that even if I crash into your car and it was my fault, I am not personally obligated to pay you. That's why we have the "3rd party" component in the insurance policy. If it has to come to that, the matter goes to court and worst case, my insurance company will pay for the damages to your car. That matter usually takes so long & costs so much money / patience that neither the car owner nor the insurance company bother with it.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks