Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 11th December 2016, 20:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Third party insurance claims

I feel need to revive this thread as the rules may have changed/become convenient. Recently I renewed my insurance and the same thought came into my mind that there are occasions where without my mistake I had to claim the damages on my own insurance losing no claim bonus and incurring minimum co-pay. If both parties agree on whose mistake it is, is there a way to claim third party insurance with same amount of ease as your own claim? Any of the forum members have tried this and can share their experiences?
Old 12th December 2016, 18:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautilya View Post
I feel need to revive this thread as the rules may have changed/become convenient. Recently I renewed my insurance and the same thought came into my mind that there are occasions where without my mistake I had to claim the damages on my own insurance losing no claim bonus and incurring minimum co-pay. If both parties agree on whose mistake it is, is there a way to claim third party insurance with same amount of ease as your own claim? Any of the forum members have tried this and can share their experiences?
To claim third party insurance from the other guy's insurer, you need an FIR. No other option. That's what my understanding is.

If the other person agrees to his mistake, why not get the co-pay and NCB loss amount recovered from him. Would work out less than paying for entire damage surely.
Old 29th October 2017, 20:49   #18
BHPian

Hello,
I have A very noob question.
If my car is insured as 3rd party insurance and is total loss, what is the amount I get from the insurer . Also , is any kind of insurance cover available for the occupants.
Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 08:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor-whiskey View Post
If my car is insured as 3rd party insurance and is total loss, what is the amount I get from the insurer . Also , is any kind of insurance cover available for the occupants.
In case of TPL only, the maximum amount one ca get in case of total loss is the IDV agreed between Insurance co and the customer. Generally a lot of factors go in the final amount payable but ideally it should be IDV.

There is a personal accident cover available for the occupants which is calculated as a part of the Insurance premium. It is called "Personal Accident to Unnamed Passengers other than Insured and the Paid Drivers and Cleaner".
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
To claim third party insurance from the other guy's insurer, you need an FIR. No other option. That's what my understanding is.

If the other person agrees to his mistake, why not get the co-pay and NCB loss amount recovered from him. Would work out less than paying for entire damage surely.
yes, this can be done, but then whats the whole point of third party insurance? 3rd party claims process certainly needs to improve in our country. It should be as hassle-free as an own insurance claim.

And this ties to the penalty points system associated with the driver at fault as well. If we diligently start following this, no one would claim on behalf of someone else's mistake.
kautilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 13:38   #21
BHPian

A two wheeler rider has been asked to pay 28 lakhs as compensation. More details on it are available on the link below.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...ictim-kin.html
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 14:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

No third-party relief for victim of own rash driving: Karnataka high court

Quote:
If you borrow a two-wheeler from a friend or a relative and meet with an accident where no other vehicle is involved, you cannot claim compensation from the insurer as a “third-party” to the tragedy.

LINK

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2018 at 14:12.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 15:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Third-party insurance prices hike up to 21% for 2-wheelers and 12% for 4-wheelers

The rates usually change in April. However, the authority is implementing these changes from June 16 for FY20.

Quote:
According to the draft on revised premium rates, the rates for private cars with engine capacity under 1000cc has reached Rs 2,072 in FY20 as compared to Rs 1,850 last year, an increase of 12 per cent. Consumers owning a car with engine capacity between 1000cc to 1500cc will also have to pay around 12.5 per cent increase in premium to Rs 3,221

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2019 at 15:16.
Old 6th June 2019, 15:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Third-party insurance prices hike up to 21% for 2-wheelers and 12% for 4-wheelers

The rates usually change in April. However, the authority is implementing these changes from June 16 for FY20.
Lucky me. I just renewed my Punto's Insurance couple of days back with the old TPL premium rates.

I guess now there will be a mad rush to buy Insurance even for vehicles whose expiry is 45 days further.

Most Viewed