Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 23:01   #2086
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,262
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

I don't know if this query is right for this thread, mods please move if necessary.

Guys my i10 had a minor accident today as described in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-758.html#post2804122.

Please guide me how should I proceed. I have never claimed insurance as this is my first accident. The insurer is United India insurance company.

Can I go to any authorized Hyundai workshop and get the repairs done or I should visit the showroom cum workshop from where the car was purchased.
bluevolt is offline  
Old 11th June 2012, 08:02   #2087
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The insurer is United India insurance company.

Can I go to any authorized Hyundai workshop and get the repairs done or I should visit the showroom cum workshop from where the car was purchased.
Absolutely, you should visit the Hyundai w/shop ASAP and get a quote for the damage repair. If the w/shop has a cashless tie up with United Insurance then things will be a lot more smoother. If not then you will have to contact the Insurer yourselves and ask for a surveyor to have a look at the damage for estimation. Please be present when the surveyor is estimating the damage to avoid late surprises and just glance the policy document for the depreciation rates beforehand.

No need to visit the showroom.

Lastly dont let this incident dent your confidence. Just as others advised in the Accident thread, carry on with life.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 13:11   #2088
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
Please guide me how should I proceed. I have never claimed insurance as this is my first accident. The insurer is United India insurance company.
Sorry to hear about the accident. I agree with Ghodlur 100%. And must lay emphasis on the following point he made. Make sure you are present while inspection, to get the right amount and calculations done. Once the claimed is filed it can't be changed, so go through the damages with Service advisor chronologically w.r.t components and replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Please be present when the surveyor is estimating the damage to avoid late surprises and just glance the policy document for the depreciation rates beforehand.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 07:53   #2089
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Had a serious accident in a Nissan Micra. I'm claiming insurance and its Oriental Insurance. I've a few questions.
1. Parts like the bonnet/fender need to be replaced in the car. The workout is like this. Cost of new bonnet = 3500
Cost of painting bonnet= 8500
Tax and Labor = 750
I'm aware that depreciation is involved. The car is 1 year old exactly. So that translates to a 10% dep. for metal parts. Will the insurance pay for painting and labor as well or only for 90% of the part?

2. Some components such as the Fog lamp assembly need to be replaced. The surveyor has given approval for this component. What percentage will be covered?

3. Internal components such as Steering and Gear Assembly, Spindle Knuckle need to be replaced as well. The surveyor has given a Check & Report for this. This means that he requires the workshop to remove the component and inspect if its damaged or not. If it is damaged and needs to be replaced, will insurance cover these components as well? If yes, what percentage of it can I expect?
The overall bill is a whopping 1.3lakhs and I'm pretty scared !
anjanravi is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 09:21   #2090
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,510
Thanked: 2,955 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanravi View Post
Had a serious accident in a Nissan Micra. I'm claiming insurance and its Oriental Insurance. I've a few questions.
1. Parts like the bonnet/fender need to be replaced in the car. The workout is like this. Cost of new bonnet = 3500
Cost of painting bonnet= 8500
Tax and Labor = 750
I'm aware that depreciation is involved. The car is 1 year old exactly. So that translates to a 10% dep. for metal parts. Will the insurance pay for painting and labor as well or only for 90% of the part?

2. Some components such as the Fog lamp assembly need to be replaced. The surveyor has given approval for this component. What percentage will be covered?

3. Internal components such as Steering and Gear Assembly, Spindle Knuckle need to be replaced as well. The surveyor has given a Check & Report for this. This means that he requires the workshop to remove the component and inspect if its damaged or not. If it is damaged and needs to be replaced, will insurance cover these components as well? If yes, what percentage of it can I expect?
The overall bill is a whopping 1.3lakhs and I'm pretty scared !
@anjanravi,
Sad to know about the accident, I hope you are safe and the other occupants too.
Regarding your queries (read the policy document for depreciation rates)
1) Insurer will pay only for the metal depreciation and not for the painting and labour, most of the Insurers dont, its the workshop's call on that. But if the bonnet is replaced directly why would it need painting, does it come unpainted. Pls verify.
2 & 3)This should be direct part replacement and will cost as per the spare price.
In case of any doubt please get it verified with the workshop and the Insurer again. Looking at the bill, the damage seems to be quite heavy. Was the engine too damaged?
ghodlur is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 09:37   #2091
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,262
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanravi View Post
Cost of new bonnet = 3500
Cost of painting bonnet= 8500
This is unrealistic figure IMO. Please verify whether the new bonnet comes unpainted and cost of painting should be less then half of the amount mentioned here.
bluevolt is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 09:52   #2092
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@anjanravi,
Sad to know about the accident, I hope you are safe and the other occupants too.
Regarding your queries (read the policy document for depreciation rates)
1) Insurer will pay only for the metal depreciation and not for the painting and labour, most of the Insurers dont, its the workshop's call on that. But if the bonnet is replaced directly why would it need painting, does it come unpainted. Pls verify.
2 & 3)This should be direct part replacement and will cost as per the spare price.
In case of any doubt please get it verified with the workshop and the Insurer again. Looking at the bill, the damage seems to be quite heavy. Was the engine too damaged?
Here is the complete detail of the accident.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-truck.html
1. it seems to be the norm these days where the body parts arrive and then need to be painted to the body color of the vehicle. Had a similar experience with my sx4 sometime ago. Paid 2500 for rear bumper +5000 for painting it. Did not claim insurance then.
No engine damage at all. Will upload the original estimate here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is unrealistic figure IMO. Please verify whether the new bonnet comes unpainted and cost of painting should be less then half of the amount mentioned here.
Shocked me as well! Uploading an image of the original estimate. Check out Part no. 19. Hood. 3741 part price. 8450 painting. New bonnet comes unpainted. All body parts come unpainted actually.
anjanravi is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 11:47   #2093
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Here is the estimate. @bluevolt. check part 19 for the price of hood.
Another strange thing. Cost of foglamps is 15000 while headlamp comes to about 2500!
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-parts-estimate-0933.jpg  

anjanravi is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 14:48   #2094
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1,809
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

@anjanravi: Based on my experience, painting and denting complete cost will be covered under insurance.
However, I heard that from April 1, 2012, insurance companies have started factoring depreciation for that as well. But, I don't have first hand information to confirm on this.
8500 is high for painting the bonnet. I would expect the cost to be around 5000 from A.S.S and even less from outside.
However, if this is completely covered by insurance, then you might as well go ahead since you will not be spending from your pocket.

For glass, the cover is 100%.
For metal parts, the cover will be 90% (considering you stated 10% depreciation). So for example, all your suspension related parts will fall under this category.
For plastic, it should be 50%. So, for example if your headlamps are plastic ones, then you will have to bear around 50% cost.
Other comments:
Parts like aluminium wheel are very expensive as stated in the list above.

You will have to pay Rs. 500 as claim charges and also expect to have an increased premium next year when you renew.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 15:53   #2095
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@anjanravi: Based on my experience, painting and denting complete cost will be covered under insurance.
However, I heard that from April 1, 2012, insurance companies have started factoring depreciation for that as well. But, I don't have first hand information to confirm on this.
8500 is high for painting the bonnet. I would expect the cost to be around 5000 from A.S.S and even less from outside.
However, if this is completely covered by insurance, then you might as well go ahead since you will not be spending from your pocket.

For glass, the cover is 100%.
For metal parts, the cover will be 90% (considering you stated 10% depreciation). So for example, all your suspension related parts will fall under this category.
For plastic, it should be 50%. So, for example if your headlamps are plastic ones, then you will have to bear around 50% cost.
Other comments:
Parts like aluminium wheel are very expensive as stated in the list above.

You will have to pay Rs. 500 as claim charges and also expect to have an increased premium next year when you renew.
I spoke to Sherif Nissan after reading your post and they say that insurance will cough up 80% of the painting charges. I know the charge is exorbitant but I think I'll have to get it done by them only as they are willing to pay a decent portion.
I thought I would be getting 100% for my headlamps and foglamps but you just reminded me that they could be plastic parts as well! In that case I'll ask them not to add the foglamps as they are super expensive. 15000Rs and even if insurance pays 50% I'll have to pay 7500. I want to finish this as cheaply as possible and the lack of foglamps is not going to affect my driving
anjanravi is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 16:40   #2096
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?
2. Is there much use of bumper to bumper policy, is it worth the extra money?
hemantbsutar is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 16:50   #2097
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?
2. Is there much use of bumper to bumper policy, is it worth the extra money?
I may not be providing the exact answer you're looking for but here is what happened with me.
I had a 9 year old Santro (I was the first owner) and then I exchanged it for a second hand SX4 from a Used Car Dealership. In my 9 years of Santro ownership, I had never claimed insurance. When the time came to renew SX4's insurance, I used United India, the same company and agent I had used for the Santro. I got a 30% NCB on the SX4's insurance renewal.
2. Depends on the car. If its an Alto with black moulded bumpers (not body color) I would say don't take the bumper2bumper. If its something like a Skoda Superb, its recommended that you do take max. add-ons on the insurance. Reason being the cost of an Alto bumper would be so cheap that the extra premium you're paying wouldn't be justified.
Hope this helps you
anjanravi is offline  
Old 12th June 2012, 17:33   #2098
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 2,025
Thanked: 2,344 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Have a query, may have been answered but the volume of searching pages and my inability to get a proper search result means i need to post this
1. I understand that if i buy a used car and renew the insurance, the NCB is not valid. However if i have TRANSFERRED the insurance from previous owner, then when renewing i should get? Or looking at the previous years policy/RC book they would know its an ownership transfer and not give NCB?

NCB is Earned by a owner of a vehicle by not having made a claim in a Policy Year - supposedly by his/his drivers good and careful driving habits.

Which clearly mean that if there is a change of ownership for the new owner the process of earning NCB must start again frpm that point of time.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 12th June 2012 at 17:34.
r_nairtvm is offline  
Old 13th June 2012, 21:57   #2099
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,262
Thanked: 3,420 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Guys my i10 had a minor accident today as described in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-758.html#post2804122.

Please guide me how should I proceed. I have never claimed insurance as this is my first accident. The insurer is United India insurance company.
Today I gave my car to Hans Hyundai, Delhi for repair job. The SA has estimated around 10-12K out of which around 2-3K will be paid by me.

The surveyor will come tomorrow and for the time being they have kept my license/car's RC/insurance policy. They will return my license after inspection hopefully tomorrow. Do they really keep license?

They don't have cashless facility and have asked me a cancelled cheque which I have given to them. The SA told me that I have to pay the complete amount and then the insurance company will deposit the settled amount to the bank account.

Estimated repair time is one week. Parts to be replaced - Rear bumper, right side fender, couple of miscellaneous parts behind the bumper. Front bumper will be repaired and repainted.

Guys please tell if the above procedure is OK as I have never claimed insurance etc.

photos here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2807631

Last edited by bluevolt : 13th June 2012 at 22:03.
bluevolt is offline  
Old 14th June 2012, 12:17   #2100
F50
Senior - BHPian
 
F50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai/USA
Posts: 1,708
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanravi View Post
and they say that insurance will cough up 80% of the painting charges
Is this garage on the company's cashless list? If not, ask surveyor where can you take the car where they will cover 100% charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

The surveyor will come tomorrow and for the time being they have kept my license/car's RC/insurance policy. They will return my license after inspection hopefully tomorrow. Do they really keep license?

They don't have cashless facility and have asked me a cancelled cheque which I have given to them. The SA told me that I have to pay the complete amount and then the insurance company will deposit the settled amount to the bank account.

Estimated repair time is one week. Parts to be replaced - Rear bumper, right side fender, couple of miscellaneous parts behind the bumper. Front bumper will be repaired and repainted.

Guys please tell if the above procedure is OK as I have never claimed insurance etc.
Yes this is perfect. No issues with the procedure go ahead.
F50 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks