Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 08:23   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
How I wish automobile insurance cos pay out a handsome bonus at the end of your claim free car ownership, just like life insurance companies.
They do, they just call it No Claim Bonus. Not by any standard handsome but sufficient enough to make the buyer smile when paying the renewal premium.
I wish instead of NCB, the Insurers bump up the IDV by a known % keeping the premium same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
1. What's the time frame within which one needs to buy the car insurance after purchasing the vehicle?

2. How does one go about buying car insurance on temporary numbers? Can it be changed after getting the permanent number in a month's time?
1. The time frame is till before the vehicle goes for registration where a valid Insurance on the vehicle is a must. Hence you have time from booking the car till the registration time to buy the Insurance.
2. Every Insurer lets go of the need of the registration number when buying Inurance for a new car. The policy document also does not show the same. The registration no can be updated in their records & on Policy papers during the first renewal.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 08:41   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
They do, they just call it No Claim Bonus..
Getting credit for No claim bonus is not a straight forward process. You'll have to run pillar to post to get that measly sum. IMO it is not rewarding at all.

Had 35% NCB on my old car. Sold it thru a used car dealer to buy a new car. Wanted to get that NCB on my new car.

Had to produce the transferred RC to my old car insurance co to get the NCB certificate. It took about 4 months for the whole process. And finally got my NCB certificate after multiple visits to the office.

Now my new car insurance was a different company. Had to produce this certificate to them to get a refund of my premium.

Here comes the best part, according to the insurance co, I would only get a pro rata refund of the premium paid taking the time period into account.

It was almost 6 months when I initiated the refund process and all I would get was only 50% of 35% of the own damages premium. When I calculated the sum, it looked ridiculous. Decided not to utilise the certificate.

Now my NCB certificate of 35% is lying idle with me. The only reprieve is that it is valid for a period of 3 years.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 13th November 2013 at 08:51.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:31   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Getting credit for No claim bonus is not a straight forward process.
Had to produce the transferred RC to my old car insurance co to get the NCB certificate.
For normal yearly renewals, it is a straightforward process. Good thing to have.
For getting the NCB certificate after selling the car, it depends on the Insurer. I got my NCB certificate within 3 working days delivered at home. All I did was drop in the Insurer's office with an application & documents. The Insurer was Future Generali.
Old 15th November 2013, 17:47   #2719
BHPian

Hi, recently there was an accident involving my car where in it was required for me to claim insurance. Details of the incident can be found at -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3280526

In a nutshell, the rear windshield had to be replaced and a dent had to be fixed.

The Good Part : The claim filing and settlement was smooth, in the sense that I did not have to do any unnecessary / repeated follow ups.

The Bad Part : Despite having a Comprehensive Policy (Bumper to Bumper), and a compulsory excess of INR 1000/-, I ended up shelling out close to INR 3400/- from my pocket.

Also, in my discussion with the Surveyor, he has categorically mentioned that buying policies from the Dealer is more advantageous than directly renewing from the Bajaj Allianz website.

Our 2 cars, a Honda and a Nissan, have their Policy Numbers starting with HBA and NBA respectively. I was always under the impression that renewing insurance directly from the vendor's website will save you money, however, after going through the claim process this time, I realized this is not the case! And I am referring to the same type of Insurance, i.e. Comprehensive and Normal.

I am posting this for the knowledgeable members to comment on whether this is all I should expect.

Below image shows the actual bill paid at the Nissan Workshop in Goa -

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-original-bill.jpg

Images below summarize the details based on which my claim was reimbursed by Bajaj Allianz -

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-bajaj1.jpg

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-bajaj2.jpg

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-bajaj3.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 15th November 2013 at 17:59.
Old 15th November 2013, 18:12   #2720
BHPian

A chauffeur driven Innova banged into my Linea when he was trying to overtake me from the left and hit the left back of my car. I stopped him and the driver started saying that I was overtaking him. I spoke to the owner who is a doctor at Bombay Hospital and who was reading the paper in the rear seat. I got his card and he told me to contact him if neccessary. Now he SMSes - "it is your fault".

Anyhow, how does insurance in India work? I know in the US - I contact my insurance agent - who in turns contacts his insurance agent and they determine whose fault it is. Is this how this works in India too? I assumed that is how it works everywhere. But noticing how shocked the doctor was when I told him this - perhaps in India, the way it works is different?
Old 16th November 2013, 14:12   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I assumed that is how it works everywhere. But noticing how shocked the doctor was when I told him this - perhaps in India, the way it works is different?
Sorry to break the bubble, but it doesnt work that way in India atleast, sadly. I wish Insurance claim process was lot more smoother that it is now. You should have taken the doctor to the nearest police station to file an FIR. Maybe the doctor would have opted for an outside settlement and paid you the repair cost to save his face and status.
What you need to do is take it to the nearest Toyota workshop and inform the Insurance co who will in turn send the surveyor to assess the damage and in conjuction with the workshop will decide how much will the Insurance co bear the repair cost, balance to be borne by you. Workshop will repair the damages and hand over the vehicle.
Old 16th November 2013, 14:17   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to break the bubble, but it doesnt work that way in India atleast, sadly. I wish Insurance claim process was lot more smoother that it is now. You should have taken the doctor to the nearest police station to file an FIR. Maybe the doctor would have opted for an outside settlement and paid you the repair cost to save his face and status.
What you need to do is take it to the nearest Toyota workshop and inform the Insurance co who will in turn send the surveyor to assess the damage and in conjuction with the workshop will decide how much will the Insurance co bear the repair cost, balance to be borne by you. Workshop will repair the damages and hand over the vehicle.
Actually, the damage as it turns out was minor. But the doctor was a pompous buffoon and a downright liar. I am just going to use the social media to shame him.
Old 16th November 2013, 22:04   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Actually, the damage as it turns out was minor. But the doctor was a pompous buffoon and a downright liar. I am just going to use the social media to shame him.
God bless the patients who visit this Doctor.
You should have settled it on the Road or at the Police Station. Well in India there's always a next time. My car got scraped by a BMTC bus last month, I knew that money could not be extracted from the driver, so gave him a mouthful, made him accept his mistake, created a scene and moved on.
Old 17th November 2013, 11:34   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Also, in my discussion with the Surveyor, he has categorically mentioned that buying policies from the Dealer is more advantageous than directly renewing from the Bajaj Allianz website.

I was always under the impression that renewing insurance directly from the vendor's website will save you money, however, after going through the claim process this time, I realized this is not the case!
The surveyor is fooling you. BTW did he mention what advantages is he referring to? The savings on the premium amount if the insurance is renewed directly from Insurer's website is due to the fact that they dont have to pay the dealer's commission. I guess the surveyor must have been egged by the workshop guys to try to make you believe that buying insurance from dealer is always better. I dont see any other reason.
Old 17th November 2013, 12:00   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
The surveyor is fooling you. BTW did he mention what advantages is he referring to?
The insurance for our Jazz was due last October. My dad was getting calls from Honda Assure to get the same renewed through them, however, I insisted my Dad to get the Original Bajaj Allianz policy number from them so that we can at least compare the quote online with what HBA has to offer. My dad kept on asking them and they kept on replying that there is nothing like Original Policy Number. I knew the Honda Dealer was lying, to be honest, however, sitting in Bangalore there was nothing I could have done with the dealer in Baroda, Gujarat. Moreover, they also mentioned that not all benefits would be passed on to the customer if the source of the policy was anything else, except Honda Assure.

I tried calling Bajaj Allianz customer care, however, it was PATHETIC as always.

I asked my Dad to go ahead with Honda Assure for the following 2 reasons -

1) When in need of filing a claim, I wanted my parents to have a cashless settlement.

2) I cannot expect my Dad, aged 62, to haggle with the Honda and Bajaj Allianz personnel just because he had not renewed the policy through them.

There is just not enough information available in the public domain, and whatever is available is conflicting. Everyone does not have the convenience of Team-Bhp.

I told my dad to renew the insurance through Honda Assure and assume that if at all there was any difference in the premium amount by renewing online, it was a charity! That's how pathetic the state of affairs is, unfortunately, in our country.

Below is an excerpt from the conversation I had with the Bajaj Allianz Surveyor.

Me : I have a question for you-

My father owns a Honda Jazz, and the insurance is with Bajaj Allianz. However, he has purchased the policy with Honda Assure and hence, the policy number starts with "HBA" (Honda Bajaj Allianz), and not "OG".

If we want to renew this policy, we are unable to directly go to the Bajaj Allianz website and renew it. We have to contact the broker, who then issues us the new policy. The broker says that he doesn't have the original policy number!!!

If we have the original Bajaj Allianz policy number, we can directly renew from the website. So can you tell me how do I get the original policy number?

Even in my case, my policy number with Bajaj Allianz starts with "NBA" (Nissan Bajaj Allianz). How do I get the original policy number which can be helpful in renewing the insurance directly from the website?

The Surveyor : ...if you renew the policies on-line you will not be able to gain the "Honda Assure" benefits, as the policy will be a normal policy with Bajaj. Honda assure policies has a special benefits like the bumper is considered as fibre (i.e 30% your share) but in normal it will be a plastic (i.e 50%), also the headlights in Honda assure are considered in metal (as per age of the vehicle) and in normal it will be plastic (50%).

Also in case of Nissan policies it might have these special benefits..

So I would suggest you to Renew the policies with the respective dealers/brokers...

Me : Do these rules apply even if they are Comprehensive Policies (Bumper to Bumper)?

Also, can we avail cashless settlement if we buy insurance directly from Bajaj Allianz? Or do we compulsorily need to buy HBA and NBA policies to avail cashless settlement?

The Surveyor :Yes..These rules apply to the all the comprehensive policies.

You can avail the cashless facility if the dealer is ready to give or if we have a tie-up with the dealer. Best example is your last claim at Nissan in Goa..

Me :I had one more question for you. During my claim with the dealer in Goa, why didn't they agree to provide me with cashless settlement? Is it because of their policy at the dealer - level, or is it because I did not claim insurance through my Nissan Dealership in Bangalore?

When I had asked them to initiate cashless settlement, they told me that it depends on the surveyor (Bajaj Allianz). When I asked them one more time, they said it was a Dealer policy. Since I had to drive back Bangalore soon, I left the matter as it is, but it is still not clear to me whether I was eligible for a cashless settlement or not.

In my understanding, if Honda or Nissan have a cashless settlement policy with Bajaj Allianz, then the auto companies should provide that benefit irrespective of whether the vehicle is registered in Karnataka or Gujarat. Is that not the case? Who takes the final decision, Bajaj Allianz or Honda / Nissan. I am asking this just to clear my doubts and also to make other people understand on how the system works.

The Surveyor :In your case the dealer was not ready to accept cashless settlement, we are ready to give cashless to all the cases but if the dealer is not ready then we cannot process the cashless settlement.

We have cashless settlement with the Honda dealer in Goa, wherein they accept cashless settlement if the policy is done through them (ie. "Honda Assure") and for normal Bajaj we reimburse the payment to the insured.

Finally it depends on dealer if they accept the cashless settlement or not.

Hope this explaination fulfills your doubts, we assure you to serve you best in future.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 17th November 2013 at 12:19.
Old 18th November 2013, 18:05   #2726
BHPian

My car had met with an accident, I have a few queries as I have been harassed by the insurance personal on some points. I'd moved the car from the point of incident to the A.S.S. as it was sunday and insurance offices were off and i was worried about car parts being stolen. I didn't even logged any FIR as no third party was involved and the car had just skidded of the road.
1. Is spot survey absolutely mandatory, even though I have produced the photographs of the vehicle at the place of accident.
2. Is FIR absolutely mandatory in a scenario where the damage to vehicle is in high and claim amount is high too.

Will the insurance become invalid because of no spot survey and no FIR as its a high value claim of about 4L?
Old 19th November 2013, 08:34   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
1. Is spot survey absolutely mandatory, even though I have produced the photographs of the vehicle at the place of accident.
2. Is FIR absolutely mandatory in a scenario where the damage to vehicle is in high and claim amount is high too.

Will the insurance become invalid because of no spot survey and no FIR as its a high value claim of about 4L?
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope all the occupants are safe and sound.
1. Yes, the survey is mandatory during the claim. I hope you must have already lodged a claim & intimated the Insurer to despatch the surveyor ASAP.
2. No FIR is not mandatory if no third party was involved in the accident.
Insurance is valid for the car, hope you do have an valid insurance. BTW how did you arrive at the repair cost? Has the workshop already given you an estimate?
Old 21st November 2013, 08:59   #2728
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi need a quick answer to this:

I am buying a BMW 320d and the insurance amount from HDFC ( outside agent) is 62k for the 0% depreciation policy. I also have 45% NCB from my previous policy. So how is the new premium calculated? I thought that I will straightaway get 45% discount on the premium? Or is it not like that? Please help as I have to close the deal today and make the remaining payment.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:27   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am buying a BMW 320d and the insurance amount from HDFC ( outside agent) is 62k for the 0% depreciation policy. I also have 45% NCB from my previous policy. So how is the new premium calculated?
If you are having NCB resolution letter from previous policy with 45% NCB, that bonus would be applied to own damage (OD) premium. Please seek break-up of insurance premium with calculation details to ensure 45% NCB has got applied to OD premium.

Last edited by sukiwa : 21st November 2013 at 09:30.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:59   #2730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

If you are having NCB resolution letter from previous policy with 45% NCB, that bonus would be applied to own damage (OD) premium. Please seek break-up of insurance premium with calculation details to ensure 45% NCB has got applied to OD premium.
Oh its not on the overall premium but only on own damage premium? I have the letter of 45% NCB from my last policy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks