Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 13:20   #3331
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Kindly double check with the Insurance co's before you buy the policy.
I got in touch with Sompo too, but for a different reason. The PolicyBazaar guy said that Sompo has a cashless tie-up with my garage (VW Thane), but the workshop SA who handles insurance claims said that they don't. I ended up calling Sompo, and they confirmed that they DO have a cashless tie-up.

After reading your post, I guess I will have to call Sompo again. My car is two years old, and the PolicyBazaar quote is with zero dep add-on. So I have the same problem as you do.

Will update once I have cleared up the confusion.
Old 8th June 2015, 13:26   #3332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
the PolicyBazaar quote is with zero dep add-on.
Please ensure that the zero dep add on cover cost is correct by cross checking with Insurance co. In my case for Bharati Axa quote by Policy bazaar the cost was 2500/- whereas Bharati axa's quote from online was Rs 3300/-.

Just use Policy bazaar quotes only to bargain with the Insurance co directly. Yes, it is a pain to answer Policy bazaar as to why not proceeding with the transaction.
Old 8th June 2015, 13:27   #3333
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried these guys?

https://www.coverfox.com/

If yes, any feedback?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th June 2015, 15:01   #3334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Has anyone tried these guys?
Vikram,

Thanks for the information. The site looks slick and the quotes offered are very competitive. But then again the cost of add on covers for a few Insurers are different from what are quoted by the Insurers directly. I have not dealt with them but the quotes look very much similar to the recent experience with Policy Bazaar.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:46   #3335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....but the quotes look very much similar to the recent experience with Policy Bazaar.
I might try them when I renew my bike's insurance next month. The only thing I am wary about is giving out my phone number while getting a quote, which invariably leads to a deluge of calls from various insurance co's.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th June 2015, 11:56   #3336
Team-BHP Support

The Insurance for our 2010 Honda City is up for renewal and we've started getting calls from Bajaj Allianz, the provider for the last 3 years.

Surprisingly, the agent has again offered a zero-dep policy; despite this being the 6th year of the car.

Is the zero-dep so discretionary? The IDV is quoted at 4.7 lakhs for the SMT variant.

I'm just curious how flexible rules surrounding zero-dep policies really are; what am I bargaining for a zero-dep policy over a regular one?
Old 11th June 2015, 13:25   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the zero-dep so discretionary?
I'm just curious how flexible rules surrounding zero-dep policies really are; what am I bargaining for a zero-dep policy over a regular one?
Unfortunately the Add on cover provision by the Insurance co is not governed by the IRDA, so it is left to the Insurance co to their discretion as to till when the zero dep cover can be provided. Zero dep add on cover is another means of increasing the total premium and is being offered now for cars more than 5 years of ownership which earlier was the limit set by the Newer players in the Insurance sector.

Going forward I would not be surprised if the zero dep add on cover is provided by Insurance co or manufacturers for same time period as the road tax is being charged. Which means till the time the vehicle is road worthy who know you might get zero dep cover for a nominal cost.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 10:28   #3338

Hi. Thanks for this wonderful thread.

I have a query. Yesterday my car, which is habitually parked outside under some trees suffered its first casualty. One of the trees (a coconut tree nonetheless) decide to donate a coconut for the beautification of my car.

Long story short, I have a huge impact damage and hairline cracks all over my windshield. I have a comprehensive insurance (just my 2nd year) with Royal Sundaram. I just wanted to inquire if there are any Do's and Dont's before trying to claim insurance for the windshield. Would claiming insurance for the same pose a problem?
Old 12th June 2015, 13:39   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious.mojave View Post
I just wanted to inquire if there are any Do's and Dont's before trying to claim insurance for the windshield. Would claiming insurance for the same pose a problem?
Are you getting the windshield replaced at the workshop or outside them (For eg Windshield experts in your city if available)? Claiming insurance would not be an issue except that there will be depreciation applicable which means you will have to pay your contribution. This is on the assumption that you do not have a zero depreciation add on cover along with the comprehensive policy. If you have zero dep, then still you will have to pay some amount from your pocket (Compulsory contribution + consumables) but will be lesser.

One important thing to ensure during the claim is that the make of replacement windshield should be as much as possible the same brand. Many a times windshields of different brands are also installed as they match the size but have been reported to be of inferior quality. Plus ensure that the installation of windshield makes it water proof to avoid any future complications of water ingress due to bad quality rubber beadings/linings, improper glue adhesive used etc.

Check out these links.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tallation.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3264998
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 14:39   #3340

Quote:
Are you getting the windshield replaced at the workshop or outside them (For eg Windshield experts in your city if available)? Claiming insurance would not be an issue except that there will be depreciation applicable which means you will have to pay your contribution. This is on the assumption that you do not have a zero depreciation add on cover along with the comprehensive policy. If you have zero dep, then still you will have to pay some amount from your pocket (Compulsory contribution + consumables) but will be lesser.

One important thing to ensure during the claim is that the make of replacement windshield should be as much as possible the same brand. Many a times windshields of different brands are also installed as they match the size but have been reported to be of inferior quality. Plus ensure that the installation of windshield makes it water proof to avoid any future complications of water ingress due to bad quality rubber beadings/linings, improper glue adhesive used etc.

Check out these links.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tallation.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3264998
Thanks a lot for the useful information. I am located out of Bangalore. I called up Honda, but they still have not provided me a quote. I also called up Windshield Experts and I was told that they will do the necessary and gave me a decent sounding quote. They said they will fit an Asahi glass. Are they to be trusted?

One major problem with windshield experts is that they do not have cashless facility with Royal Sundaram. In such a case, how soon should I expect Royal Sundaram to pay up, and will it be a hassle to get the same done?
Old 12th June 2015, 14:59   #3341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I might try them when I renew my bike's insurance next month
My bike's insurance was expiring on June 09, not next month

So, compared various quotes on this website with New India Assurance (the existing insurer). Turned out that the latter's quotes were lesser for almost same IDV, so went with that, and paid Rs.1185 for an IDV of approx. 53.5K.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 12th June 2015, 15:36   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious.mojave View Post
They said they will fit an Asahi glass. Are they to be trusted?

One major problem with windshield experts is that they do not have cashless facility with Royal Sundaram. In such a case, how soon should I expect Royal Sundaram to pay up, and will it be a hassle to get the same done?
As I said, confirm the present wind shield glass make. If it is Asahi, then you could go for the same brand. Confirm with Windshield from where are they sourcing the glass?

It would always be preferable to have a cashless transaction. Just for sakes ask RS if they have tie up with WindShield Experts. if they have then nothing like that. Paying upfront and then claiming from RS would be a bit painful IMO.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:27   #3343
BHPian

Hi Guys, need some info with regards a claim I have made.

So my car was being used by my younger brother and he scraped the gates while parking in my basement, which left a sizeable dent and scratch marks all over my right rear door and fender. But before I could register the claim, I met with another incident with an auto. The damages here were the front right fender and bumper. The timeline for this is 16th and 19th June.

Now, I did go ahead and put in 2 claims with ICICI. Anyone has done anything similar? Regulation around it being accepted/not accepted?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:50   #3344
BHPian

Hi Folks
Had a query regarding insurance claim. My car recently had an accident, resulting in a toppling. Along with the structural damage, apparently the vehicle had a seized engine. While talking to the surveyor, I seem to get a feel that he is trying to avoid the coverage of engine block saying it was not caused by the accident. (apparently after the vehicle was taken back on its four wheels). Apparently, such incidents are covered only under add-on like engine shield or something.

Do you think this is a legally correct approach? The advisor wanted a description on writing about what happened- especially the part on how people turned it back from its roof.

Appreciate any advice.
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:51   #3345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Now, I did go ahead and put in 2 claims with ICICI. Anyone has done anything similar? Regulation around it being accepted/not accepted?
That's the correct approach although I am not sure whether ICICI will treat bot the claims during a single repair or ask you to claim at different time periods. A lot will depend on the surveyor report, if the same surveyor is appointed for both the claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakesht View Post
Do you think this is a legally correct approach? The advisor wanted a description on writing about what happened- especially the part on how people turned it back from its roof.
You can challenge the Surveyor if he says both the things are not connected. Due to the toppling maybe the engine was seized or the engine hit something which caused it to topple. In either case its an accident and one claim hence surveyor cannot isolate both the issues. I think since the structural integrity is compromised, better opt for total loss

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks