Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:23   #3706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My uncle is buying a new Tata Zest and giving his old Indica to Tata only to avail the ongoing exchange offer. Now my question is how can he get an NCB certificate made ( current Indica's insurance is from ICICI with a 50% NCB). ICICI people told him they would need a RC change to issue a NCB certificate. But how can he get that as the car will be bought by the dealer and then probably kept on parked for months till they find a suitable buyer. Whats the process in this case? Please help as the current valid insurance policy for his Indica is due for renewal on June 8 and he doesn't want to waste money in renewing the insurance for another year since the car is already being given off to the dealer ( the new ZEST is in transit).
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:54   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so here goes the second half of my Accord insurance saga.

My original insurance company, ICICI Lombard, had first asked for an additional 30% premium over its own quotation and even after having paid that, was dragging its feet for issuing the policy document or even the cover note.

So I approached another agent who quoted the base premium (without the 30% hike from ICICI Lombard) and so I paid him the cheque and started waiting for the cover note. The agent promptly arranged for the vehicle inspection and report was submitted and cover note promised the same day.

Now the fun started. The car has a minor gash-like dent on its boot door which the agent said required some kind of approval from the higher ups in the insurance company and instead of same day, the cover note would be issued the next working day. Couple of working days later the so called approval hadn't been received yet, only, "it should come in a day or two". Then the agent stopped taking my calls.

I was now so pissed, I called him at a quarter to nine in the morning, five days after the story started, and pleaded with him to get his act together and get me the cover note, else I would be looking for alternatives.

Still no progress. Meanwhile I received an email with the renewal policy from ICICI Lombard, so I decided to end this chapter right away. I issued a stop payment on the cheque given to the other agent and texted him of my action and confirmed I didn't want to buy a policy from him. Right on cue, he called me back and promised the approval the very next morning. However I didn't need to listen to the crap now, so I stuck to my guns, although politely, abd finally he had to let go. He also promised to return the cheque back since he hadn't deposited it and now it was useless too.

However the cheque was never returned. Last morning I was shocked to see a text from my bank stating the cheque had been presented for payment. I double checked the status of the cheque and confirmed it was marked for stop payment. Sure enough a few minutes later another text informed me the cheque had been returned unpaid.

So beware of the agents lest they deposit the cheques and you go from pillar to post to recover the money.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 08:05   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My uncle is buying a new Tata Zest and giving his old Indica to Tata only to avail the ongoing exchange offer. Now my question is how can he get an NCB certificate made ( current Indica's insurance is from ICICI with a 50% NCB). ICICI people told him they would need a RC change to issue a NCB certificate. But how can he get that as the car will be bought by the dealer and then probably kept on parked for months till they find a suitable buyer. Whats the process in this case? Please help as the current valid insurance policy for his Indica is due for renewal on June 8 and he doesn't want to waste money in renewing the insurance for another year since the car is already being given off to the dealer ( the new ZEST is in transit).
See that's the difficulty in selling the car to a dealer. The ownership transfer takes too long and till that time the present car owner is liable for anything related to the car. What you could do is get the dealer signed copies of form 29, 30, delivery note, letter from dealer nullifying your liability for the car and hand over to ICICI with an application for the NCB certificate. Please note that the dealer will ask you for a valid Insurance since it is going to expire. Either your uncle or the dealer has to renew the same to maintain the validity for the ownership transfer (required by RTO). Once you get the NCB certificate, you can use the same to buy the Insurance for the new car.

Ensure one thing is that your uncle write a letter to the RTO about the change of ownership and attach the letter from dealer nullifying his liability for the car. So even if the dealer does not sell the car immediately your uncle is indemnified for the liability.

Last edited by ghodlur : 3rd June 2016 at 08:07.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 19:34   #3709
BHPian

Today I visited the Honda showroom to enquire about the BRV. When I asked the question on whether I can take insurance from any other provider (other than Honda Assure), I was told that I have to take insurance from Honda Assure. I was told that claims are much easier handled with Honda Assure in any Honda workshop. When I asked whether I can claim my NCB from my current insurance, to that he agreed and said that I can get the NCB transferred.

Question: If I do decide to get the BRV, can I refuse to buy the standard cover provided by the dealer and go for an insurer of my choice? Has anyone done this with Honda (or Toyota)?
Old 6th June 2016, 08:20   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Question: If I do decide to get the BRV, can I refuse to buy the standard cover provided by the dealer and go for an insurer of my choice? Has anyone done this with Honda (or Toyota)?
You as a customer have every right to choose the Insurance for your car. I find the strong arm tactics of Honda to force customers for the Honda Assure totally unprofessional. This needs to be taken up with the Honda ombudsman or IDRA.

What best you can do is take an online quote which I am sure will be far less than what dealer is quoting for the BRV. Ask the dealer to match the quote. If they do, you can still buy the Insurance from Honda at least knowing that you have not been fleeced. If Honda continue their act of forcing to take the Honda Assure, tell them about cancelling the booking (provided there is an alternate Honda dealer in the city). Let us know how did you proceed.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 21:10   #3711
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst they would actually be within their rights to refuse to sell you a car, would they go so far just because of the lost commission on an insurance policy? If they just say that you are not allowed, or even go so far as to say that it it is the law... just call them liars. They are.
Old 7th June 2016, 16:02   #3712
Senior - BHPian

I recently renewed my Punto's Insurance with Future Generali which was to expire on 16th June 2016. Not that it was a smooth process, but had to argue with FG on a couple of things. For eg. The zero depreciation ad on cover cost was jacked up by 1.5K from last year. Previous year, the add on cover was calculated at 0.57% of the IDV whereas this year the quote showed 0.87% of the IDV. Upon enquiring FG explained that this was due to the age of the car. My argument was the factor used for calculation was steep - from 0.57 to 0.87. The general calculation is 0.1% increase (similar to 10% depreciation in IDV till 5 yrs of car ownership). FG put up their hands saying the add on cover cost could not be reduced, however they offered me 10% additional discount in the OD premium. All in all there was a drop of 1K from last year's premium after factoring the increase in the Third party liability and the service tax component. Total premium paid Rs 15119/-. Zero dep add on cover costed Rs 4306/- (plan 1).

Had got a better quote from Royal sundaram however RS is jinxed for me. Whenever I had bought a motor policy from RS, I ended up with a claim. This happened with my Santro, Fiesta and Punto too.

Few suggestions when renewing the Insurance (provided you have zeroed in the Insurer):
1) Cross check the quote received with the previous's year's quote.
2) When opting for add on covers, ensure the calculations are linear and not exponential.
3) Bargain hard. Bargain even harder.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 16:00   #3713
BHPian

Thought this info may help, so I'm posting it here. This is only for Private Sector Insurers.
The source is - https://www.irdai.gov.in/ADMINCMS/cm...DF=AR&mid=11.1

Btw, I went with Reliance General Insurance (Zero Dep.+Consumables+Engine Cover+Unnamed 5 Passengers Cover@max value+Paid Driver). Felt I should let go off the invoice cover add-on. Got it done through the dealership which coordinates with Marsh India Brokerage Pvt. Ltd. to provide the Chevrolet Assured scheme. Got a good discount. The car (Sail Hatchback petrol) is just completing 1 year and the premium stands at Rs. 14,267.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-private-insurers-csr-201415.jpg  

Old 15th June 2016, 16:11   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

With refernece to my accident described here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3992284

I now need to sign a document, refer the image, without knowing the amount. The car is almost ready, and the bill shall be generated by tomorrow or so. Now, I have to sign this, provide this to surveyor who wants the stuff on his desk. Have to spoil a day just for these formalities, and he said scanned copy on mail wont work.

Has anyone else signed such document without knowing amount ? This is a cashless claim, but still some more clarity wont hurt.
Getting insurance claims concluded without transparency is tough.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-20160615_152941.jpg  

Old 15th June 2016, 16:34   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Has anyone else signed such document without knowing amount ?
I was asked to sign this document on the day when I left my car for repairs!! Needless to say, I flatly refused to sign and shot off a mail to the insurance agency.
Though it seems to be an established practice, it's highly irregular and you have every right to refuse to sign it without actually having seen the car to affirm if it indeed has been fixed to your satisfaction.
'Convenience' is one thing, blindly asking to sign a waiver is plain unethical.
Old 15th June 2016, 16:50   #3716
Senior - BHPian

I have a question.

So, as many of you know that I recently bought a pre-worshipped Fortuner from a fellow BHPian and I am getting it transferred to my name. I sold my Civic whose insurance had 35% NCB on it. Civic transfer is underway as well. I want to know whether I could use Civic's NCB to get a quotation on Fortuner's renewed insurance when I have the transfer process of both vehicles completed? Appreciate any help on this.
Old 15th June 2016, 17:11   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I sold my Civic whose insurance had 35% NCB on it. Civic transfer is underway as well. I want to know whether I could use Civic's NCB to get a quotation on Fortuner's renewed insurance when I have the transfer process of both vehicles completed?
Yes, you can use the NCB accumulated while buying/renewing Insurance for your new car. if the Insurance is bought from the same Insurer of Civic, then the process will be lot smoother as they would not have to issue the NCB certificate. If it is different Insurer, ensure that you get the NCB certificate from the Civic Insurance co.
Old 16th June 2016, 13:33   #3718
BHPian

The Fiesta's insurance done by previous owner is expiring in August. It has 50% NCB. The car got transferred to my name on 10th June 2016. Can I directly avail a new policy on my name from today instead of transferring his old policy to my name? I believe in any case the NCB is not transferable and anyway will be shifting to a different insurance provider. TIA.
Old 16th June 2016, 16:30   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
The Fiesta's insurance done by previous owner is expiring in August. It has 50% NCB. The car got transferred to my name on 10th June 2016. Can I directly avail a new policy on my name from today instead of transferring his old policy to my name? I believe in any case the NCB is not transferable and anyway will be shifting to a different insurance provider. TIA.
You can do that, there are no issues in that provided that the Insurance co cancels the old policy and issues a new policy to you. This is faster but I think the Insurance co will inspect the car before issuing the policy to you. I would suggest changing the Insurance ownership would be the correct way to proceed. All you need is to provide the new RC with changed ownership and some fee. You can renew later in August.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 21:32   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Transferring the insurance to your name for remaining 2/3 months is easy. All you have to do is provide the transfer documents/RC, pay the extra premium amount for 2/3 months in lieu of the 50% NCB and a small transfer charge. It is done on the spot in the case of Bajaj Allianz.

In case the extra payment in lieu of the 50% NCB is substantial then forget the sellers insurance and go for a fresh one.

Last edited by techiecal : 16th June 2016 at 21:36.
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks