Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Old 3rd December 2018, 20:35   #4216
BHPian

Default Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Posting on behalf of one of my colleague who is having a harrowing experience dealing with a claim with DIGIT.

Team BHP,

I would like to share an incident recently happened with me. I am working as a Sr. Manager in an MNC. Responsibilities recently magnified as I was progressed to the next role. I worked stretched shift on Friday (16th Nov) overlapping with Saturday (17th Nov) to cope up with my next level duties. While coming back, via my HONDA CIVIC, to my home (Paschim Vihar) that day, I met with an accident opposite to Peera Garhi CNG station. Four to five guys in a MARUTI SWIFT car suddenly took an illegitimate U-turn, bringing their car abrubtly in front of me, in a perpendicular fashion, leaving no chance for me to react or avoid the accident, and then BANG! - this all resulted into a horrific crash. I was saved sheer because I was wearing seatbelt and the air bags also inflated to minimize the impact. This incident happened close to my home so I immediately called up my parents. As soon as my parents came, I did a call to 100 to report the incidence. Meanwhile, the culprit guys tried to escape through the car via wrong side, but couldn't, because their car rear right wheel got jammed due to the accident. They couldn't get far enough, not more than 100 meters because of their stuck rear right wheel. They were absolutely drunk so they all decided to run away leaving their car, to avoid medical examination & it's consequences. One of that guy came once in the interim, trying to compensate the situation, to which I didn't utter a word, to avoid making situation more worse. He ended up obnoxiously talking to me because of the same reason, and since I was alone, tried to overpower me, because my parents and police were not there yet. Sigh of relief that my parents appeared and then I reached out to them to have a talk with that culprit guy. He started walking away saying that I don't want to talk but suddenly the spectators or bystanders had too much to digest so they all started beating up that guy to extremes of tearing his clothes. I still had a stance to save him from extended beating. Culprit guy was constantly reciting that today is my birthday, being totally out of his senses, and was expecting a special treatment. At last he also sneaked away as his other partners. To conclude the situation, my father advised me to retract the police complaint, being AAM AADMI, to avoid any schedule fluctuations in my professional career, and most importantly with me being intact. All ended up with a hope that the loss will be settled through the insurance claim so 'relax'. However, this resulted in a nightmare because of the unprofessional and biased response from DiGiT insurance team, as explained in detail, with specifics as follows:

KEY INFO:
• CLAIM # - 201800015141
• Insurer - DIGIT
• Policy # - D001694137
• Policy issue dt - 6th October'18
• IDV - 374751 INR

• DIGIT surveyor - Mr Hemant Kumar (Hemant.Kumar@godigit.com)
• External surveyor - Mr Mukesh Mendiratta (mukeshmendiratta34@gmail.com)

• Total repair expense assessment from authorized HONDA workshop - 840717 INR
• HONDA expense sheet - enclosed

• Total repair expense assessment submitted by external surveyor - 463869 INR
• Insurer liability (after applying the depreciation) - 248921 INR
• Insurer expense sheet - enclosed

As per consideration from HONDA estimate = 8.4 lacs, even if we account for maximum depreciation of 50% to compute insurer liability, it comes out to be = 4.2 lacs, that is truely well over 75% of IDV (281,063) i.e. 4.2 lacs > 2.8 lacs, thus a sheer case of CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS(CTL).

However, forceful attempt being made by the insurer to understate the insurer liability, as per the expense report submitted by them = 2.48 lacs (after depreciation), less than 75% of IDV (281,063) i.e. 2.48 < 2.8, to avoid CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS scenario.

CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS situation here is evident because of following reasons:
1. Estimation at authorized HONDA workshop must have done with due diligence, leveraging their expertise capabilities, to compute the repair estimate, with min/max estimate variance of 10%. However, the difference between HONDA authorized workshop assessment of 8.4 lacs, as compared with surveyor repair estimate of 4.6 lacs is more than 40%, that is questioning the integrity of the surveyor guesstimate.
2. Considering the fact, ultimately, HONDA authorised workshop is the one where the car has to be repaired, not under surveyor capabilities, so HONDA authorised workshop assessment should be deemed final.
3. Based on surveyor estimation approach, their repair guesstimate is based on actual damages, that are just visible upfront from naked eye, however the car is not in working condition, not taking ignition at all, plus the clutch is totally free, which has not taken into consideration so far. Thus, the damages are tend to increase as the car will go through the complete scanning process, that would only be possible once the car is operational. This would certainly lead to increase the repair cost.
4. In nutshell, all of the expenses have been evaluated based on the existing visual damages of the car, just reviewing the damages at the surface level. However, more deeper diagnostic would be done once the car is dismantled for repair, to reveal more intricate damages, and that's going to potentially increase the repair evaluation.

Kindly advise on how to resolve this situation, and what next steps to be considered.

Furthermore, if it’s not CTL, and we would not want to go for repairs since the repair cost is significant, so what would be the other option(s) available with us for the claim settlement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DiGiT Repair Assessment.pdf (37.0 KB, 405 views)
File Type: pdf HONDA Repair Assessment.PDF (42.4 KB, 371 views)
Maverick Avi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 17:16   #4217
BHPian

Just recently bought car insurance thru Coverfox for my yet to buy Hyundai Creta 1.6 SX(O) CRDI

HDFC Ergo - ~61 (listed in coverfox)
Future Generali - ~ 60
New India - ~ 57 (listed in coverfox) - not cashless
Cholamandalam ~ 70

All zero dep (1 yr + 3 TP).

Future Generali call center guys called and given quote of 62k. When I said HDFC is 61k they discussed with their so called higher ups and given 1000 INR discount.
The call center guys kept re-iterating that they have tie ups with Hyundai and good relationship. Since they kept on telling the same for more than 3 times I started doubting them and went ahead with buying HDFC ERGO .

HDFC has cashless facility with my dealer. Also, I could see some bad reviews about Future Generali and I was wasting much time going thru the reviews. I felt HDFC is much more reputed than Generali. So finally went ahead and bought HDFC for 61k zero dep.

Last edited by deemash : 5th December 2018 at 17:18.
Old 9th December 2018, 12:32   #4218
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to renew my Suzuki Access's insurance today, and was shocked to see that the premium is now Rs 1960 for an IDV of Rs 23450. Last year it was Rs 1140 for an IDV of Rs 24700.

Have the premiums really shot up that much? Or should I change to another provider from Bajaj Allianz?
Old 9th December 2018, 23:12   #4219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was planning to renew my Suzuki Access's insurance today, and was shocked to see that the premium is now Rs 1960 for an IDV of Rs 23450. Last year it was Rs 1140 for an IDV of Rs 24700.

Have the premiums really shot up that much? Or should I change to another provider from Bajaj Allianz?
Changing insurer may not help much. I too was shocked to see my Honda Activa renewal premium last month. It had increased by about 75% compared to last year. When inquired, they said IRDA has revised all third party insurance premiums with effect from September 1, 2018. Now worried what will happen to my car insurance premium in coming April.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:25   #4220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Posting on behalf of one of my colleague who is having a harrowing experience dealing with a claim with DIGIT.

Kindly advise on how to resolve this situation, and what next steps to be considered.
I call myself an Insurance domain expert, but when it comes to claim settlements, my knowledge comes a cropper. Sorry but this is the best I can offer - please consider taking it to an insurance ombudsman - http://ecoi.co.in/ombudsman.html

The above URL has the IRDA approved list of ombudsmen. I'd suggest speaking to a lawyer specializing in general insurance settlements for an opinion. If he feels that you have a winnable case, take it to the nearest ombudsman. If one thing works in India, it is the concept of a Banking or an insurance Ombudsman!
locusjag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 22:37   #4221
BHPian

Hello guys, need your advice.
I forgot to renew my car insurance last month and need to get it done immediately.

Till date I've been asking the car dealership team to renew it. They usually renew it from public insurance companies like Nia, oic, nic, etc with whom they have cashless tie up.

Just wanted to know:

1. What is the process of renewing after a break in continuity of insurance?
2. Are there any good companies out there which offer good service? Recently I've heard of acko. Any feedbacks on this or similar company?
3. I have completed 3 years of insurance and have claimed ncb Everytime. Will it still be valid?
4. Does it make sense to continue with B2B/zero dep policy add-on after 3 years? Or should I go with comprehensive insurance only?
Old 21st December 2018, 09:47   #4222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Any update on how this progressed over the last few weeks? Did your friend get any resolution?
Old 21st December 2018, 11:01   #4223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
1. What is the process of renewing after a break in continuity of insurance?
2. Are there any good companies out there which offer good service? Recently I've heard of acko. Any feedbacks on this or similar company?
3. I have completed 3 years of insurance and have claimed ncb Everytime. Will it still be valid?
4. Does it make sense to continue with B2B/zero dep policy add-on after 3 years? Or should I go with comprehensive insurance only?
1. Call up the Insurance co for the renewal. They will send somebody to inspect the car post which your insurance will be renewed based on the mutual agreement.
2. Every co claims to provide good service. Check with the workshop with which Insurance co do they have cashless tie up and the claim settlement process. For Acko check the below thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...y-reviews.html (Acko & Digit, the new insurance firms. Any reviews?)

3. Anyways your NCB will be zero. It will be a normal renewal process
4. If the Insurance co offers you zero dep add on cover in addition to comprehensive insurance, you must take it. Going by your every year cl;aim history it will be very useful.
Old 21st December 2018, 23:41   #4224
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to go for Iffco Tokio this time for my car insurance. Car is purchased in December 2017 and registered, almost a month later, in January 2018. The first insurance policy began from December 2017.

When I was casually looking around their website, I found that it's not possible to select "Registration Month/Year" as January 2018 when "Make Year" is selected as 2017.

Tried reaching out to their customer service for help. The executive said that I can put "Make Year" as 2018 because it is "Registration Month/Year" that is taken to account. But I think this makes the entire policy questionable a 2018 made car can not have its policy expiring on 27th Dec 2018.

Need a third opinion on this before giving Iffco Tokio a pass and going for some other option.

Last edited by self_driven : 21st December 2018 at 23:48.
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:34   #4225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I am planning to go for Iffco Tokio this time for my car insurance.

Need a third opinion on this before giving Iffco Tokio a pass and going for some other option.
I think you should skip Iffco Tokio, they have been recently fined by IRDA for wrongfully not processing the claim settlement correctly. Its available on IRDA website. Their claim settlement process has been found to have too many issues. You are better off with another Insurance co.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:05   #4226
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to go for Iffco Tokio this time for my car insurance. Car is purchased in December 2017 and registered, almost a month later, in January 2018. The first insurance policy began from December 2017.
I just renewed mine with Bharati Axa. I was scouting the portals and someone sent me quotes for Bharati Axa and ICICI. I happened to visit my ASS due to an issue with my TUV and asked them for a quote. They gave me one on par with what I had received and on pushing they reduced it by 1000rs. They gave me Bharati Axa with some additional benefits such as consumables cover etc. They also told me this was manufacturer tie up. So went for it. I was with Royal Sundaram for year one but when I sent them a query and called them up they did not revert. Long story short, your ASS will likely get you a good or better deal usually and no need to be loyal to any company. Better to choose one that is tied to your manufacturer as long as they are competitive IMHO.
diyguy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 00:23   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I just renewed mine with Bharati Axa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I think you should skip Iffco Tokio.
Thanks for the help guys.

Hyundai dealer has offered to renew my existing Bajaj Allianz at Rs. 10,500 with zero dep and some other add-ons. Tata AIG is giving me all sorts of coverage (engine, belongings, travel expenses etc.) in Rs. 10,200 which makes it my default choice if no other options works out.

For now, I am confused whether to go for zero dep or not. The car is really basic and parts are inexpensive (bumper, headlamps, etc.) which makes me feel that I can manage fine without zero dep coverage.

The price difference comee to Rs. 2100.

Here are the quotes I've got -

Tata AIG without zero dep is Rs. 6900
Tata AIG with zero dep is Rs. 9000
Tata AIG with zero dep + engine protection is Rs. 10200

Now I feel that engine protection cover is good-to-have since I have to drive through waterlogged roads a lot during monsoons.

Here, Royal Sundaram has a good policy with engine protector (but not zero dep) at Rs. 7600.

What say guys?

IDV for all quotes is around Rs. 3.35 lakhs.
Old 23rd December 2018, 00:49   #4228
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the quotes I've got -
Choose the one that is being offered to you by your ASS and cashless. Sounds like all three should have cashless with your ASS, I went with the guy as he gave me a no nonsense and almost bottom price first time and it had some extra cover as well. I did not take engine though.
diyguy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 20:26   #4229
BHPian

Went ahead with ICICI Lombard. They have cashless tie-up with 3 nearby garages and offered a comprehensive cover (with engine protection add-on) for Rs. 7400 for an IDV of Rs. 3.35 lakhs.

Got Rs. 750 off by choosing voluntary deductible of Rs. 2500 and another Rs. 115 off for installed anti-theft device. I have contacted ICICI Lombard once for updating old insurer details in the policy, which they promptly did. Experience has been positive so far.

Royal Sundaram was giving the same plan for Rs. 7600 but I found out that in case of Royal Sundaram, a physical inspection is mandatory to grant engine protection cover to old vehicles.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th December 2018 at 20:29.
Old 25th December 2018, 13:51   #4230
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Please help me with the below clarification.

Should the loading discount be applied before NCB or After NCB ?

Regards,

AP.

Most Viewed