Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:25   #4861
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
GoDigit lost me and any body that will listen to me, as a customer.
I've kinda blindly trusted them for 3 years with different cars. Fortunately there was no claim during that period. Getting the NCB letter and transferring policy to the new owner was all handled online so I was happy. But, this is sad, I think I will in this case, stick to regular providers like Bajaj, Tata or Kotak, etc.
Old 5th October 2020, 17:51   #4862
BHPian

Guys looking to renew my insurance of my XUV which is close 7 years old now. I am still getting a zero dep option with Acko (under smart zero dep, where 5k is vountary deductible) . All of this with IDV of 6.5L, the premium is coming 13k which is the same premium with any other insurance company like TATA AIG etc but the others are only comprehensive. Also, there are add ons like:
Engine Protect (for Rs 2k)
Prime Protect (RSA for Rs 199) (covers key replacement)

I am more or less convinced that I should continue with zero dep ( I have taken zero dep all through out, but have never claimed) which I am getting only with Acko. However, I am not sure if other add-ons are beneficial esp engine protect. Does this cover all types of engine rework or only due damages caused during accident or monsoon? and would prime protect cover if old key FOB stops working and needs a replacement?
Old 6th October 2020, 09:44   #4863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
I have taken zero dep all through out, but have never claimed) which I am getting only with Acko.
Iffco Tokio and Royal Sundaram also provide zero dep for 5+ year old cars. You can take a quote from them and compare.

Quote:
Does this cover all types of engine rework or only due damages caused during accident or monsoon?
If you drive through waterlogged areas during monsoon, this add-on is a must have. As per my policy wordings, any damage to the engine and gearbox resulting from oil leakage or water entry (hydrostatic lock) is covered under this. You can quickly go through policy wordings of your insurer and check for any exclusions.

Quote:
would prime protect cover if old key FOB stops working and needs a replacement?
Again, you'll have to go through policy wordings. Usually theft and damage is covered for the keys/fob but lock set is excluded.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 17:33   #4864
Distinguished - BHPian

The insurance for my car is up for renewal later this month. During the car purchase, the insurance had add-ons like Dep shield, consumable expenses, engine protector, key and lock replacement cover and personal baggage cover.

Since it was with Bajaj Allianz, I logged into their website to renew it. I get the IDV and a quote for renewal along with the NCB (20%) and GST but can't see any details of the add-ons. Does a renewal mean the same addons are carried forward?

Off-topic:
A few days ago, I got a call from my dealer with a reminder for renewal. I asked for quotes and the lady at the other end said she will get back to me. Haven't heard from her since then. Should I call back or just renew on the BA website?

Today I received a call from SBI General Insurance. The lady on the phone mentioned my car model and said its insurance is due to renewal. I asked for a quote and she in turn, asked for my last insurance copy and promised they will give me good discounts while providing the renewal quote. When I egged her as to where she found my details and why not get the insurance copy from the same source, she mentioned they have a list of cars and their renewal dates only. Seems the dealer or RTO is sharing all information with these insurance companies!

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th October 2020 at 17:39.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 18:10   #4865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Does a renewal mean the same addons are carried forward?
No, during every renewal the addons can be retained or removed. Why wait for someone to give you a quote when you can do it online yourself? Find out with which Insurance co does your workshop have a cashless tie up and visit that Insurance co to get a quote. Alternatively visit the comparator websites like Policybazaar, Acko, Godigit, Coverfox etc to get an idea about the quotes available in the online market. Use 10% less amount of last year's IDV when getting quote.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:09   #4866

This is a query regarding Salvage cost charged for replacing damaged parts during an insurance claim

Background

I have taken up insurance for my car with GoDigit with Zero-Dep and consumable cover as add ons. My vehicle met with a minor accident recently with damages happening to rear bumper, boot door and quarter panel. Two out of the three parts was beyond repair but authorized service center suggested replacing all three. GoDigit was initially reluctant to provide replacement for all three parts but they eventually cleared work order with all part replacements.

Everything was fine and I thought it will be only the claim charges and any cleaning & Sanitization charges that the dealer may charge.

Twist in the tale.

The surveyor called after issuing work order to tell me that there is a % of the new part cost to be borne by the insurer. This is called Salvage cost for replacing the original parts. Inspite of me having a Zero-Dep policy, I will have to bear this cost he said.

I did my research and could not find any information neither in my policy copy nor in the GoDigit Database available in the internet that validates the surveyor's claim. Lesser said about GoDigit customer care, the better it is. Seems like they have not heard of this term before.

Current Status

For now, I have told my surveyor to furnish a valid GoDigit document that says Insurer has to bear the salvage cost arising out of replacing damaged parts. He is working on it. Meanwhile, I wanted to confirm from reliable sources whether this is an Industry norm and I am not getting duped here into paying an amount that is not needed.

Any leads on this will be really helpful
Old 8th October 2020, 20:48   #4867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts007 View Post
This is called Salvage cost for replacing the original parts. Inspite of me having a Zero-Dep policy, I will have to bear this cost he said.
Salvage value is basically the scrap value of the car (or its parts) that can be realised by the insurance company in total loss cases. It has nothing to do in your case. The surveyor is bluffing.

Quote:
The surveyor called after issuing work order to tell me that there is a % of the new part cost to be borne by the insurer
Do let him know the difference between insurer and insured. Insurer refers to the insurance company. The "% of part cost to be borne by customer" scenario is applicable in policies without zero dep cover.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:36   #4868
BHPian

Hi

I have a query on a possible claim.

My friend (who was strapped in the back seat, safe now) was involved in an accident where the driver expired and FIR filed as accident due to negligence. The driver was not full time employed but was contracted once in a while for long distance journeys. There were only 2 people in the car at the time of the accident.

Now to the query.

The claim has IMT 28 and owner driver claim clause covered and paid for. Can we register a claim for the driver's family? Does the employed driver clause cover a driver even if he is a short term hired driver.

Thank you.
Old 12th October 2020, 17:58   #4869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
Hi

I have a query on a possible claim.

The claim has IMT 28 and owner driver claim clause covered and paid for. Can we register a claim for the driver's family? Does the employed driver clause cover a driver even if he is a short term hired driver.

Thank you.
Happy that your friend is safe while it is sad to know that for the driver it was a fatal incident.

Per this article it looks like a claim for the driver's family could be registered:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-...r-rajiv-ranjan

This is a common occurrence, many of my relatives who drive by themselves when in the city, hire a driver while planning a travel on the highway. I make sure all of them do opt in for IMT28.

--Kalyan
Old 13th October 2020, 17:31   #4870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalii View Post
claim has IMT employed driver clause cover a driver even if he is a short term hired driver.

Thank you.
the wording of IMT is as follows;

Quote:

IMT. 28. LEGAL LIABILITY TO PAID DRIVER AND/OR CONDUCTOR AND/OR CLEANER EMPLOYED IN CONNECTION WITH THE OPERATION OF INSURED VEHICLE (For all Classes of vehicles.)

In consideration of an additional premium of Rs. 25/- notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in
the policy it is hereby understood and agreed that the insurer shall indemnify the insured against the
insured’s legal liability under the Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923 , the Fatal Accidents Act, 1855 or at Common Law and subsequent amendments of these Acts prior to the date of this Endorsement in
respect of personal injury to any paid driver and/or conductor and/or cleaner whilst engaged in the service
of the insured in such occupation in connection with the vehicle insured herein and will in addition be
responsible for all costs and expenses incurred with its written consent.

Unquote:

It doesn't make a differentiation about the length of service of the driver or if he is permanent driver or temporary driver.

Hope this clarifies and your friends vehicles insurance company should address this.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 13th October 2020 at 17:35.
Old 16th October 2020, 16:21   #4871
BHPian

Hi guys. Need some help. I recently Bought a Skoda Karoq in which my OD premium was 44,000 pre GST. Now today I remembered that i could have gotten the NCB Transferred from my old car which was running on 35% NCB. I have sold my car in exchange program to Skoda showroom.
Now, here are my queries.

1. I only have a vehicle procurement receipt. Similar to Delivery Receipt. Vehicle is still not sold by showroom. Can i still apply for NCB retention certificate?

2. If i get a NCB retention certificate, will the company refund me the excess amount paid for this year?

3. Next year when i renew my insurance, will the insurance company give me the same 35% NCB on my older vehicle or it will increase now due to not taking any claim for one more clear.

My insurance company is UIIC and their office doesn’t pick calls only. I need to know this before physically visiting. Please heplp
Old 16th October 2020, 22:27   #4872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
Hi guys. Need some help. I recently Bought a Skoda Karoq in which my OD premium was 44,000 pre GST. Now today I remembered that i could have gotten the NCB Transferred from my old car which was running on 35% NCB. I have sold my car in exchange program to Skoda showroom.
Now, here are my queries.

1. I only have a vehicle procurement receipt. Similar to Delivery Receipt. Vehicle is still not sold by showroom. Can i still apply for NCB retention certificate?

2. If i get a NCB retention certificate, will the company refund me the excess amount paid for this year?

3. Next year when i renew my insurance, will the insurance company give me the same 35% NCB on my older vehicle or it will increase now due to not taking any claim for one more clear.

My insurance company is UIIC and their office doesn’t pick calls only. I need to know this before physically visiting. Please heplp
Hi Schneller,

We seem to be crossing paths in various threads . Many congrats on the new car. To answer your questions:

1. NCB Rentention letter can be issued by the Insurer under two conditions:
a. When you issue an NOC to transfer the policy to another person (New owner of your car). In this case, until the transfer of insurance has been effected, the insurer will not be able to issue the NCB reservation letter. I am going through this for my old car sold in September. Its been over 10 days since I have requested for the NCB letter but the transfer to the new owner is in process (Inspection, Noting existing damages, Getting his declaration on the same, Payment from the new owner for the difference in insurance fare [I had 50% NCB, he does not], etc).

b. When you get you Own Damage (OD) part of the insurance on the sold car cancelled. Third-party (TP) cover will continue. In this case you will also be refunded the pro-rated OD part. The purchaser of the car will need to get his own OD cover post purchase.

2. Yes, they ideally should. You will need to visit their field office for getting the NCB endorsed on this policy. Post this, they will send a cheque for 35% of the OD premium you have paid. Sometimes, local field offices of the insurer have the tendency to reject or ask the insured to get this endorsement done the upcoming year, etc. But, you should insist that they do it immediately and they will. I had to protest and await a senior person's intervention for my used car purchase in 2019 at the local Tata AIG office. It took an hour, but the process was duly understood by the local agents and thoroughly followed.

3. I didn't understand this question properly but let me take a shot at answering what I can:
i. Are you talking about the newly bought Karoq? If so:
a. Assuming you get the NCB endorsement done now, your current policy will read NCB 35%, in which case you should get an NCB of 45% at renewal next year if there was no claim.
b. If you do not get the endorsement done now, you can use the NCB reservation letter for 3 years from the date of issue so you can get the endorsement done next year. Now Naturally, you would've earned an NCB of 20% but this NCB reservation letter days 35% NCB. I am not 100% sure about this, but my guess is 'compounding' may not be done, so you will stand to get only 35% NCB at renewal during year 2.

--Kalyan
Old 16th October 2020, 22:36   #4873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi Schneller,

We seem to be crossing paths in various threads . Many congrats on the new car.
Thank you Kalyan, And yes, we seem to keep crossing paths.

Today i mailed UIIC as neither their field office nor customer care is answering calls. Let’s see what happens. I’m seriously deliberating wether i should do this or not. Since it will take me alot of time and may need to take a day off my college to get this done. I’m weighing the benefits as of now. Now both my new car and my old car have UIIC policies but the field offices are different

Let’s see what happens in the coming days. I might cancel the OD policy and get NCB retention letter. If it was Bajaj allianz, I would’ve gotten it done anyhow. But, with UIIC I’m not sure it will be an easy process.
It was partly my fault to forget to do this before hand. I did not know this could be done.
I’ll either get it done this time. Or maybe will wait till my next car and keep in mind.
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 23:51   #4874

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Salvage value is basically the scrap value of the car (or its parts) that can be realised by the insurance company in total loss cases. It has nothing to do in your case. The surveyor is bluffing.
Thanks for the heads up. Indeed he was bluffing. With a couple of follow ups and some arguements later, the salvage cost was dropped. I paid only the mandatory claim charges and sanitization cost that the ASS puts these days.
Parts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:19   #4875

Has anyone used the usage based insurance launched by ICICI , Bajaj Allianz or Kia smart connect insurance with these two companies ?
My annual usage is lower than 3K and especially in new WFH scenario it would be much lesser would seem prudent if we can get lesser premiums
Tomthumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed