Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:17   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

I had to transfer our car ownership to my name from my father's name after his demise. Papers were submitted to the RTO on 18th september and the transfer process is still pending. In the meanwhile, i asked my agent for the insurance transfer and i sent him the RTO receipts etc. It took 15-18 days and now i have received a sort of endorsement schedule from Icici Lombard stating that the policy and risk has now been transferred to my name. This is a different type of document and not the usual policy document with IDV details etc.

I am confused now that ownership details on digilocker/RC is still in my father's name but insurance is in my name. If the car meets with a mishap during the time rto transfers the car or raises any objection, is the claim payable by Icici since i do not have even the old RC card now. How would claim settlement work in this scenario, is the RTO receipt sufficient?
Old 4th November 2020, 08:16   #4892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
is the RTO receipt sufficient?
Yes the RTO receipt is sufficient for processing the claims by the Insurance co.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:56   #4893
BHPian

Need Assistance;

United India Insurance Company is my insurer, the policy is Zero Depreciation and the vehicle in question is Yamaha Ray-Zr.

The scooter met with a minor accident and the left side is scratched and dented (the whole is plastic) and I tried filling the claim form on the website but it is asking for Name and Address of the workshop and estimate amount. As far as I know, we must contact the insurer first in case of an accident as opposed to taking it to a service centre. Should I get an estimate first?

I tried contacting the UIIC on their given numbers but no one answers and this is my first ever insurance claim (for both 2 and 4 wheeler) and I need guidance as to how to proceed and any tactics or tricks I should know of to not be cheated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:31   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikidwhy View Post
As far as I know, we must contact the insurer first in case of an accident as opposed to taking it to a service centre. Should I get an estimate first?
Take the scooter to a nearby Yamaha workshop. Workshops usually have tie-ups with insurance companies. They'll take you through the claim process smoothly.

What happens is that you submit the required documents, fill the claim application form and drop the vehicle at network garage. Insurer appoints a surveyor for your case who inspects the damage and gives an approval to the workshop's estimate. Since plastic panel is scratched, it will be replaced with a new part FOC under zero-dep. When the repairs are done, you can collect the vehicle and insurer pays the bill. In addition to a negligible file charge, you may have to pay for consumables and voluntary deductible (if any). Also, you will not get no claim bonus on your next renewal.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:41   #4895
BHPian

I have a question on the renewal of car insurance online vs buying from the dealership.

We have a 2015 Ford Aspire 1.5 AT which is due for renewal on the 15th of Nov. The quote we have received from the dealership is INR 9,987 (bajaj allianz) for renewal while the same policy online with the same IDV is INR 7,080.

When I asked the dealership they said that doing it from the dealer is beneficial at the time of claim as the owner has to only deal with them while if bought online, the owner has to deal with the insurance company and TI Ford will not.

So wanted to check if there is actually a benefit or should I renew it online? Has anyone done this and had a claim in the past? What was the experience.

Also can I increase my IDV when I renew?

Regards,
Rishi
Old 9th November 2020, 13:30   #4896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
So wanted to check if there is actually a benefit or should I renew it online?
No, dealership gets a commission if you renew through them. If the insurance company has listed that dealer in network garage list, there's no need to worry and you can purchase the policy online.

Quote:
Has anyone done this and had a claim in the past? What was the experience.
Most people go for online renewal these days. I'd taken a cashless claim few years back with my online policy and there were no issues. Dealer had a tie-up with insurance company.

Quote:
Also can I increase my IDV when I renew?
Some providers will give you an option to change vehicle IDV. Increasing IDV unnecessarily will inflate your insurance premium. Keep it ~10% lower than current policy's IDV.
Old 9th November 2020, 16:03   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
When the repairs are done, you can collect the vehicle and insurer pays the bill. In addition to a negligible file charge, you may have to pay for consumables and voluntary deductible (if any).
Thank you so much for replying, I went to Yamaha and got a quote of 8900 including labour but AFAIK, they do not have cashless tie up with United India Insurance and I have filled the claim form and a surveyor will come.

Will I have to pay anything before the repairs or will the insurance directly take it up with Yamaha (cost of parts) ?
Old 9th November 2020, 17:25   #4898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
No, dealership gets a commission if you renew through them. If the insurance company has listed that dealer in network garage list, there's no need to worry and you can purchase the policy online.

Most people go for online renewal these days. I'd taken a cashless claim few years back with my online policy and there were no issues. Dealer had a tie-up with insurance company.

Some providers will give you an option to change vehicle IDV. Increasing IDV unnecessarily will inflate your insurance premium. Keep it ~10% lower than current policy's IDV.
Thank you so much for the answers. I will buy it online I think since the Bajaj Allianz policy on policy bazaar states TI Ford as one of the garages and the vehicle is serviced there.
sarmarishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 00:39   #4899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, they do not have cashless tie up with United India Insurance
Do confirm on the tie-up part again with the dealership. If it is not a network garage, you will have to pay for the repairs (after the repair) and then claim reimbursement of that amount from United India. In cashless tie-ups, the insurance company directly settles the bill when your vehicle is repaired.
Old 24th November 2020, 17:19   #4900
BHPian

HI. I am planning to go for the ICICI Lombard Platimum cover which is offering a free tracking device for the car. Has anyone used such a device? Is it really worth it? Any pros and cons of using this device?
Old 25th November 2020, 23:26   #4901

Digit is saying they can provide 100% ex showroom idv. I heard it is only 95% of ex showroom. This is about a brand new car.

And if I take insurance from digit/non-dealer for a new car, when should I actually buy the insurance? 1 day before delivery or the day before they send for rto registration.
Old 29th November 2020, 00:52   #4902

Have they given it in writing? Also during claim, the "Claim team" will not create fiasco for this.

I myself have handled such OD claims for 4 years. I have seen how the private insurers settle claims. They settle immediately but pay 10,000/- for a 20,000/- assessed claim, while PSU insurers take time, but their surveyors are IRDA licensed and assess claims as per tariff.

Weigh both the sides before you purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Switch to any pvt. insurance company all I would rate better then government company.
Sir, why dont you tell about the way of assessment the private insurers handle the claim.

Quote:
Need Assistance;

United India Insurance Company is my insurer, the policy is Zero Depreciation and the vehicle in question is Yamaha Ray-Zr.

I tried contacting the UIIC on their given numbers but no one answers and this is my first ever insurance claim (for both 2 and 4 wheeler) and I need guidance as to how to proceed and any tactics or tricks I should know of to not be cheated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am Assistant Mgr in UIIC. You can post your detailed query here so that i can explain the process. Meanwhile, yes, you have to take a estimate of repairs from a workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post

You can cancel something called the Own Damage part of the insurance immediately. You will also get an NCB reserving letter post that. The Third-party part of the insurance cannot be cancelled without proof of coverage by another insurer. This can be done online/ over email too.

--Kalyan
Its 75%. No Insurance Co can change that.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th November 2020 at 07:18.
ATULSHI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 09:02   #4903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikroy1989 View Post
Digit is saying they can provide 100% ex showroom idv. I heard it is only 95% of ex showroom.
95% of ex-showroom for 1st year is the norm. There is a popular add-on offered by various insurers known as "return to invoice" wherein the insurance company covers 100% of invoice value in case of total loss or theft. IIRC road tax and registration charges for replacement vehicle are also covered under this add-on.

Quote:
when should I actually buy the insurance? 1 day before delivery or the day before they send for rto registration.
You have to purchase insurance before car delivery on the basis of VIN and engine no. because it is mandatory to have a third party cover at least. Hand over a copy to the dealer so that they can apply for registration. Once you have the registration number with you, get it updated on your policy by writing to the insurance company.

Last edited by self_driven : 29th November 2020 at 09:11.
Old 29th November 2020, 15:52   #4904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for replying, I went to Yamaha and got a quote of 8900 including labour but AFAIK, they do not have cashless tie up with United India Insurance and I have filled the claim form and a surveyor will come.

Will I have to pay anything before the repairs or will the insurance directly take it up with Yamaha (cost of parts) ?
If cashless tie up doesn't exist you have to initiate the repairs and then raise a claim after the repairs are made. Wait for the surveyor to approve first.
Old 29th November 2020, 17:28   #4905
BHPian

My TUV insurance renewal is due in about 30 days for its year 4. Should i be worried about IDV if i take "invoice cover" add on? I have never claimed so far and have 25% NCB so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks