Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:19   #5056
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

My car insurance is up for renewal. I don't envisage driving a lot during these COVID times so set out to look for the cheapest policy with zero dep and save some money. The ones in this category are Chola, Digit and Acko.

Any claim experiences with the above three insurers by fellow members would be of big help.

Many thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:12   #5057
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market for insurance for my yet to be delivered Creta. Dealer quote is exorbitant and he is not willing to negotiate so I have decided to buy it myself. I am looking for zero dep, engine protection, RTI, roadside assistance and consumables covers. I have got quotes from ICICI Lombard, HDFC ERGO and Royal Sundaram. While first two have similar quotes which are about 15k lower than dealer, Royal Sundaram quote is substantially lower by 35k. So I am wondering if their service levels and claim settlement is satisfactory. I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish and looking for a seamless service experience.

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback please let me know

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 25th September 2021 at 22:16.
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:52   #5058
BHPian

I have a specific query to the insurance Guru on TBHP.

My three years old car is due for insurance renewal in coming few days, can I take only third party insurance now and again switch to zero dep. next year?

Because due to pandemic, car usage will be almost nil.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IP_Man : 3rd October 2021 at 08:57. Reason: Additional point
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:31   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
My three years old car is due for insurance renewal in coming few days, can I take only third party insurance now and again switch to zero dep. next year?
Yes you can. If you have a safe parking space available throughout the year, you'll be fine. Otherwise some kind of own damage cover, even from the cheapest insurer, is strongly recommended to protect against theft.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:24   #5060
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys
Have a question regarding new two-wheeler registration pertaining to insurance.

I'm told by the dealer that Tamilnadu RTO does not accept any vehicle for registration without PA being added to insurance atleast for the first year, is this true pls?

For a vehicle of ex-showroom 85500, they're quoting an insurance amount of Rs. 5956; although all dealers try to rip off, good to know how much margin they're trying to rip off

Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:09   #5061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
l'm told by the dealer that Tamilnadu RTO does not accept any vehicle for registration without PA being added to insurance atleast for the first year, is this true pls? Thanks
It is mandatory to have PA cover. However, it can be skipped in cases where:

1. The owner does not have a valid DL
2. The owner/driver has multiple vehicles and has opted for PA cover with one of them

If you're referring to own damage cover that protects against vehicle damage/theft, it is not mandatory but highly recommended to have one.

As for dealer-provided insurance, it is standard practice to quote inflated premiums. You can take an online quote and ask the dealer to match it if the difference is more than 2000 bucks.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:25   #5062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
It is mandatory to have PA cover
Thanks & got it verified after I had posted it here. Almost every insurance company has this being mentioned in their website with IRDAI mandating it
Old 20th October 2021, 10:28   #5063

Hello BHPIans,

Had a query on new car insurance and apologies if it has been already answered...

I have a Bajaj Allianz insurance on by Ford Figo. I was on a lookout to replace the car but given Ford's exit, I am planning to keep it. So the question is if I buy a new car and keep the Figo as well, can I transfer my NCB to the new car and pay up the difference on Figo? I think not, but wanted to check anyways...
Old 20th October 2021, 10:51   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder_sk View Post
Hello BHPIans,

Had a query on new car insurance and apologies if it has been already answered...

I have a Bajaj Allianz insurance on by Ford Figo. I was on a lookout to replace the car but given Ford's exit, I am planning to keep it. So the question is if I buy a new car and keep the Figo as well, can I transfer my NCB to the new car and pay up the difference on Figo? I think not, but wanted to check anyways...
I also had Bajaj Allianz policy on old car and wanted to do the same as in your case. I was asked to provide proof of sale of old car or proof of buying (invoice) of new car. I would suggest you talk to the customer care and follow their suggestions as the case may be. Please note that they asked me to mail them my query and response time was almost 5-6 days so you need to plan accordingly if your new car is arriving soon. Another recommendation is to take new car insurance with Bajaj if that makes it easier to transfer NCB from old car to new one at the time of purchase of new car insurance.
I didn't go for NCB transfer as I did not have time to follow up.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 20th October 2021 at 10:56.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 16:00   #5065
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a friend has a question:

He got an XL6 last year via CLC, and insurance was thru the CLC agency itself. As per rules, the first year was comprehensive with additional two years of TP coverage.

He now has to renew the insurance for the OD part. He got two quotes - one via the CLC agency, and the second from Kotak. Kotak's quote for OD coverage is lesser than that of the CLC agency provider.

If he takes Kotak for OD coverage, then the TP and OD coverage will be from different providers. How will coverage then work in case of a claim ?

I am suggesting to have OD and TP coverage from the same insurance company. While this is the way he will likely go, I still want to understand the above scenario.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:14   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If he takes Kotak for OD coverage, then the TP and OD coverage will be from different providers. How will coverage then work in case of a claim ?

I am suggesting to have OD and TP coverage from the same insurance company. While this is the way he will likely go, I still want to understand the above scenario.
Company providing TP cover will pay TP part if any and company covering OD will pay for OD part.
It is just inconvenient to co-ordinate with two companies in case of a claim involving TP payments.

He has 3 options - 1, Either pay more CLC insurance premium as a "convenience charge" or
2, he can take from Kotak and hope there is no claim involving TP coverage or
3, be ready to co-ordinate with CLC agency for TP payment if any.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:02   #5067
ike
BHPian

I see that many states (TN in particular) now has an epass system for entry for other state vehicles. I'm aware that this is not being enforced strictly, however will this be valid grounds for denying an insurance claim? In case a KA/KL vehicle goes to TN without a pass and has an incident, will insurance be denied saying the vehicle is in TN illegally without the necessary paperwork?
Old 21st October 2021, 17:06   #5068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I see that many states (TN in particular) now has an epass system for entry for other state vehicles. I'm aware that this is not being enforced strictly, however will this be valid grounds for denying an insurance claim? In case a KA/KL vehicle goes to TN without a pass and has an incident, will insurance be denied saying the vehicle is in TN illegally without the necessary paperwork?
AFAIK there is no pass system anywhere for private cars. I regularly travel to TN from KA (and also travelled through KL many times) but never had heard of this. Are you confusing it with pass system for yellow number plate vehicles?
Old 21st October 2021, 17:11   #5069
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
AFAIK there is no pass system anywhere for private cars. I regularly travel to TN from KA (and also travelled through KL many times) but never had heard of this. Are you confusing it with pass system for yellow number plate vehicles?
I'm not speaking about permits for Transport vehicles(yellow plates), but the epass system that many state governments have introduced when the pandemic started. The link

This used to be checked rigorously initially but not as much these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-tn-epass.jpg  

Last edited by ike : 21st October 2021 at 17:12.
Old 21st October 2021, 17:16   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I'm not speaking about permits for Transport vehicles(yellow plates), but the epass system that many state governments have introduced when the pandemic started. The link

This used to be checked rigorously initially but not as much these days.
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I just follow the traffic and advise from other travelers unless there is specific news about restrictions. It is so difficult to keep track
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks