Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 19:58   #241
BHPian

I have a few queries regrading the insurance of my car.

1) Somebody has been intentionally scratching all over my car intentionally. Several fine scratches are visible on all four doors and the boot lid. Can I claim an insurance on that?

2)Can Insurance companies reject claims saying that the scratches are too fine to be claimed?

3) Can I claim multiple minor accidental scratches as a single claim?
Old 10th May 2009, 21:02   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post

1) Somebody has been intentionally scratching all over my car intentionally. Several fine scratches are visible on all four doors and the boot lid. Can I claim an insurance on that?

2)Can Insurance companies reject claims saying that the scratches are too fine to be claimed?

If the scratches are indeed too fine, won't a rubbing and polishing do the job?

But it seems only finding the culprit will be a permanent solution.
Old 10th May 2009, 22:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
If the scratches are indeed too fine, won't a rubbing and polishing do the job?

But it seems only finding the culprit will be a permanent solution.
The scratches aint fine enough to go away by rubbing. And they are in plenty.

Given a choice between a free paint job and the culprit, I would choose the latter. But you know, its not easy to spot him.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:36   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is a basic principal of insurance:-
Anything which is Intentional can not be covered under insurance. Under insurance you can claim only un-intentional losses.

You can not claim Multiple accidents in one claim. you have to take claim every time whenever there is a loss.

Quote:
The scratches aint fine enough to go away by rubbing. And they are in plenty.

Given a choice between a free paint job and the culprit, I would choose the latter. But you know, its not easy to spot him.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:25   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
This is a basic principal of insurance:-
Anything which is Intentional can not be covered under insurance. Under insurance you can claim only un-intentional losses.
I was told by a service executive at the MASS that I can claim such damages after I have made a police complaint against unidentified culprits. Please confirm .
Old 14th May 2009, 15:50   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was told by a service executive at the MASS that I can claim such damages after I have made a police complaint against unidentified culprits. Please confirm .
I need to check this with some insurance company please give me time for a day or two. but i don't think so that it is covered.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:43   #247

@rjvora :

Thats interesting...
Not having accurate quotes and not having some covergaes are 2 diffferent things.. btw, which coverages do not appear, please let know this will help layman like me a lot...

The website (Buy Online Insurance, India Car Insurance, Mediclaim & Health Insurance, Life Insurance Policies: Policybazaar) looks more like yatra or makemytrip, just that instead of travel it is insurance.
Old 15th May 2009, 22:24   #248

Quote:

In my opinion, the scratches to the vehicle are payable. But it depends on the insurance company too. As regards multiple accidents, accumulated damages are not payable.
Old 15th May 2009, 23:50   #249
BHPian

@ rjvora_2000 : Sir, thanks to your good advice a lot of doubts about motor insurance has gotten cleared. I had a insurance agent come over today from Maruti Insurance. He gave me a renewal estimate for my 2007 ALTO Lxi which is as follows:

IDV : Rs.2,20,000
NCB : 20% (there have been no claims in 2008 but there have been some claims in the 1st year ie. 2007)
Vehicle Security System : 2.5% less

Finally he quoted Rs. 4832/- for a comprehensive policy from Maruti Bajaj Alliance (after all addition and subtraction).

Is that a good deal?
Old 16th May 2009, 14:22   #250

It is always better to check with the company / agent before deciding on the renewal. Also check the coverages offered before issuing the cheque.

When we insist on some discount, the agents generally provides Voluntary Excess option to provide the discount which results in some deduction at the time of claims which will be hard to bear.

There are certain must have covers like Personal Accident cover to the occupants which costs only Rs.100/- for Rs.2 lacs of cover which are generally not informed by the agents as they do not get commission on this.

Tata AIG has introduced certain good add on covers which is worth checking before renewing your policy.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:21   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
@ rjvora_2000 : Sir, thanks to your good advice a lot of doubts about motor insurance has gotten cleared. I had a insurance agent come over today from Maruti Insurance. He gave me a renewal estimate for my 2007 ALTO Lxi which is as follows:

IDV : Rs.2,20,000
NCB : 20% (there have been no claims in 2008 but there have been some claims in the 1st year ie. 2007)
Vehicle Security System : 2.5% less

Finally he quoted Rs. 4832/- for a comprehensive policy from Maruti Bajaj Alliance (after all addition and subtraction).

Is that a good deal?
Please ask them what is the % of other discount in this quote. any thing more then 25% is good. (I am not talking about NCB)
Old 18th May 2009, 11:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohini View Post
There are certain must have covers like Personal Accident cover to the occupants which costs only Rs.100/- for Rs.2 lacs of cover which are generally not informed by the agents as they do not get commission on this.
Exactly, when I recently renewed my insurance, the agent offered me additional personal coverage. With Rs 275/- I get 1 lac coverage for 5 persons. Another option is to scale down and pick up 1 lac coverage for driver/owner.
Old 18th May 2009, 17:11   #253
BHPian

Quote:
This can not be true. The warranty is given by the Car company or the dealer and not by the insurance company. This is valid with all the insurance company including Chola, Hdfc and Bajaj too. - I had check with them.
Thanks for the clarification, I spoke to the guy from HDFC today and pressed for additional discounts, the final offer he was ready to give is:

IDV of vehicle Plus Non electrical Accessories- 373975
ODP Premium - 12277.60
OD Discount - 30%
After OD Discount - 8594.32
Age Diiscount - 10%
BASIC PREMIUM - 7734.89

NCB - 20%
OWN DAMAGE PREMIUM - 6187.91 (7734.89 - 20%)

TOTAL LIABILITY PREMIUM - 925

TOTAL PREMIUM PAYABLE (after ST) - 7846

The original renewal quote was for Rs.8608 for the same IDV. How does the new deal sound? Should i ask specifically whether Voluntary excess has been built into this premium, as I don't see it mentioned in the quote given. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th May 2009, 00:26   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Please ask them what is the % of other discount in this quote. any thing more then 25% is good. (I am not talking about NCB)
I had given them a cheque this saturday since my renewal date is next week. What I wanted to know is overall is a Premium of Rs.4832 good for a IDV of Rs. 2.2 lacs on a 2 year old ALTO Lxi.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:05   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I had given them a cheque this saturday since my renewal date is next week. What I wanted to know is overall is a Premium of Rs.4832 good for a IDV of Rs. 2.2 lacs on a 2 year old ALTO Lxi.
Yes sir the deal look's good to me, I think they have given you 30% to 35% Discount on the premium.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks