Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 08:58   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hi folks,
MY car,Swift Dzire VDI was delivered on feb 4th. On the day after purchase, a drunk moron whacked my windshield, causing a crack. The guy could barely stand, someone pulled him just in time, else he would have come under the wheels.
Yesterday, while driving to kolar (for a joy ride) a stray stone from a truck carrying construction material hit my windshield causing a half a foot long crack. Due to this, the front sun film has developed bubbles. Both need replacement. Should I claim insurance or pay from pocket? What is the cost of the windshield? What is the amount given as no claim bonus?
I am not sure of windshield cost but you should claim because insurance will pay you the entire cost of the glass and you will get 50% of the rubber cost which is used for the fixing the glass.

Who is insurer?
Old 9th February 2010, 09:52   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
From what I understand , benefit of TP Insurance is that the company pays for any compensation, since he didnt have TP, he will have to pay any damages out of his pocket, if he took insurance later on, that company wont pay for an old offence.
Ok, but, how do I make him pay? Do you think I should proceed with the court?
Old 9th February 2010, 15:57   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post

Who is insurer?
Iffco tokio insurance. So that means I have to bear 50% of the rubber cost? And can I claim warranty from Garware Sun films?
Old 9th February 2010, 18:11   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Iffco tokio insurance. So that means I have to bear 50% of the rubber cost? And can I claim warranty from Garware Sun films?
I don't think so, as the accident is not a part of warranty.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:05   #950
Senior - BHPian

Chola Protect

Well Chola is the only company till now who has the information related to their special product online.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:08   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ok, but, how do I make him pay? Do you think I should proceed with the court?
aargee,

You can file your case in the MACT (Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal) with the rider and owner of the M80 as the respondents.

If your damages are only abour INR 2 K I don't think its worth your while to go after this legally. You will be out of pocket more than this to even file with MACT. This is the practical truth of it.

No chance to get any other Insurer other than your own insurer, that is if you have a comprehensive insurance, involved in this.

The Criminal Case (based on your complaint to police) will take its course and most likely the driver will get a fine and go away with it. But still he will have to take the trouble of going to the court and waiting there etc which hopefully will be a lesson for him to be more careful in future.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram

Its entirely
Old 10th February 2010, 11:09   #952
Senior - BHPian

Just for common gyan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Insurance coverage is for one year only. All insurance companies follow same rule.
There used to be a time when GICs used to provide insurance for 10 to 12 years Yes thats true. I bought an used Bullet from Psycho and that bike came with such an insurance policy, iirc it was from New India, and the policy predates Psycho's ownership too! Policy was generated in 1990 or so i guess.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:13   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Just for common gyan:

There used to be a time when GICs used to provide insurance for 10 to 12 years Yes thats true. I bought an used Bullet from Psycho and that bike came with such an insurance policy, iirc it was from New India, and the policy predates Psycho's ownership too! Policy was generated in 1990 or so i guess.
That's a old story now they don't have any such product.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:25   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Just for common gyan:

Adding to what Sankar said above,

A little more for Commn Gyan!

That is correct. In 1990s that type of policy (10 years) was available, mainly to coincide with the life time tax cycle of the Bikes.

If I remember correctly Long Term Cover was only available for TP with OD Coverage to be renewed annually.

All GIC subsidiaries had this policy, but each of them implemented this experimentally in different states (National for example did it in Karnataka Region only).

I am told that it has been discontinued sind de-nationalisation.

Best Regards
Old 12th February 2010, 17:54   #955
Senior - BHPian

I am buying a new car. I also have an old car for which I get 50% NCB on its insurance. What is the process of transferring the NCB to my new car? What will happen to the insurance of old car if I want to keep it for some more time? Will its insurance revert to normal rates? Or is it mandatory that I must sell my old car to claim NCB on my new car?
Old 15th February 2010, 12:41   #956
Senior - BHPian

Need some help fast,

One of my team memebers ford ikon met with an accident, the car was standing behind a bus waiting for the bus to move and he got hit from behind by another speeding bus, the impact was so severe that the car was pushed into the bus infront and the rear and the front are completely smashed, Now when we went to the PS to register a case they said that in case of total loss we will only get a depriciated amount and not the IDV, this car is a 2003 model and sufferes very poor resale value, even if we get some money it might be a depriciated amount on the market value and so we have also registered a case for 3rd party damage claims. The motor vehichle inspecter has put a note that the car is a total loss and not fit for the road, the ford A S S also said the same, Now i need some suggestion from you all, i heard some things i need to know if they are true.
  1. In case of accident even if its a total loss we get only a depriciated amout even if the IDV was higher.(IDV here is 2.42)
  2. In case we claim a 3rd party claim as well this amount gets further reduced and both the insuring parties come in concenses and pay a joint amount
Need to know how much time dioes it take for the whole process to end, he wants to book another car and wants to use this money as the D/P

Pramod
Old 15th February 2010, 15:08   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
aargee,

You can file your case in the MACT (Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal) with the rider and owner of the M80 as the respondents.

If your damages are only abour INR 2 K I don't think its worth your while to go after this legally. You will be out of pocket more than this to even file with MACT. This is the practical truth of it.

No chance to get any other Insurer other than your own insurer, that is if you have a comprehensive insurance, involved in this.

The Criminal Case (based on your complaint to police) will take its course and most likely the driver will get a fine and go away with it. But still he will have to take the trouble of going to the court and waiting there etc which hopefully will be a lesson for him to be more careful in future.
Thanks for the reply; Sorry that I'm checking this late as I hoped that no one would respond. Thanks though.

Well, I'll get away from the case for the mere money; but what about the FIR I filed? Shouldn't I go to the RTO? What about the AR? Without these proofs how will the case move to the court? The other guy didn't even have an insurance at that point in time, so I assume he would be paying to all my expense out of his pocket right? Am I assuming something here? Help me understand pls?

Last edited by aargee : 15th February 2010 at 15:09.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:01   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Need some help fast,

One of my team memebers ford ikon met with an accident, the car was standing behind a bus waiting for the bus to move and he got hit from behind by another speeding bus, the impact was so severe that the car was pushed into the bus infront and the rear and the front are completely smashed, Now when we went to the PS to register a case they said that in case of total loss we will only get a depriciated amount and not the IDV, this car is a 2003 model and sufferes very poor resale value, even if we get some money it might be a depriciated amount on the market value and so we have also registered a case for 3rd party damage claims. The motor vehichle inspecter has put a note that the car is a total loss and not fit for the road, the ford A S S also said the same, Now i need some suggestion from you all, i heard some things i need to know if they are true.
  1. In case of accident even if its a total loss we get only a depriciated amout even if the IDV was higher.(IDV here is 2.42)
  2. In case we claim a 3rd party claim as well this amount gets further reduced and both the insuring parties come in concenses and pay a joint amount
Need to know how much time dioes it take for the whole process to end, he wants to book another car and wants to use this money as the D/P

Pramod
Pramod,

I am answering this on assumption that the Ikon has a comprehensive insurance for IDV 2.42 Laks.

You have to file your claim with your insurance company immediately. You have to get copies of FIR etc latter to complete your claim formalities latter on. If its a customer friendly company, they will tell you what to do iro the police formalities etc.

Your Insurance Comapnay may decide to make a claim on the other vehicle (the one which hit from behind) to recover the money they pay to you. Like-wise the insurer of the Bus in front will make a claim on you/your insurer for the damages sustained on the rear of the bus.

Your insurance company will pay you the IDV as the vehicle is a total loss. Since they have accepted your IDV they are obliged to pay you that.

They may offer you some cash deals as well,. That is lump sum amount plus you get keep wreck/salvage and do what ever you want with etc etc.

On IDV if they apply a pro-rata monthly depreciation or not I am not too sure (depending on how many months of current insurance period has expired).

Depending on the time taken to get the copy of the Certified FIR etc it may take some time, again based on which insurance company its insured.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 15th February 2010 at 17:04.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:17   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks for the reply; Sorry that I'm checking this late as I hoped that no one would respond. Thanks though.

Well, I'll get away from the case for the mere money; but what about the FIR I filed? Shouldn't I go to the RTO? What about the AR? Without these proofs how will the case move to the court? The other guy didn't even have an insurance at that point in time, so I assume he would be paying to all my expense out of his pocket right? Am I assuming something here? Help me understand pls?
There are two cases here.

1. Criminal Case for driving a vehicle rashly and negligently (with or without insurance)

2. Third Party Property Damage - Damage to your bike

The first one - its the duty of the Police Station which registered the case to refer it to the competent court with in a set time. The cour will serve the notice on the driver and the Public Prosecutor will prosecute him as and when it comes up for hearing. He may be fined for this as there is not human injury here.

The second one - This can be filed either in a MACT or in a Civil Court to try and get a compensation either from the owner, driver , insurer of the offending vehicle either severally or jointly. You have initiate action on this. You have to go get all papers like Accident Report, FIR, Copies of the DL of the Driver and then engage a lawyer to file the case in either of the above. For all this you will be out of pocklet. Sometimes an ambulance chasing lawyer might take it up on your vakalat, usually if the money/compensation is likely to be big

Here I don't see that happening. All this might take at least two - three years depending on the Civil Court/MACT you will have file this.

For driving without insurance and negligently the fellow will get his punishment in going to the court several times on recept of summons from the court and the fine he will pay. That will serve the justice in principle in some manner

I think you need to let go here. Remember we are all driver/riders here!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 15th February 2010, 18:23   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
There are two cases here.

1. Criminal Case for driving a vehicle rashly and negligently (with or without insurance)

2. Third Party Property Damage - Damage to your bike

The first one - its the duty of the Police Station which registered the case to refer it to the competent court with in a set time. The cour will serve the notice on the driver and the Public Prosecutor will prosecute him as and when it comes up for hearing. He may be fined for this as there is not human injury here.

The second one - This can be filed either in a MACT or in a Civil Court to try and get a compensation either from the owner, driver , insurer of the offending vehicle either severally or jointly. You have initiate action on this. You have to go get all papers like Accident Report, FIR, Copies of the DL of the Driver and then engage a lawyer to file the case in either of the above. For all this you will be out of pocklet. Sometimes an ambulance chasing lawyer might take it up on your vakalat, usually if the money/compensation is likely to be big

Here I don't see that happening. All this might take at least two - three years depending on the Civil Court/MACT you will have file this.

For driving without insurance and negligently the fellow will get his punishment in going to the court several times on recept of summons from the court and the fine he will pay. That will serve the justice in principle in some manner

I think you need to let go here. Remember we are all driver/riders here!
Hi Ram, Thanks again for the reply. I've to put something to ask very practically here.

Point #1 - This could challenge asking how he was doing a rash & negligent driving? For which I need evidence (the AR & RTO) will come in handy here without which the case will never stand in the court; moreover the cops themselves will never take this to court without these proofs right?

Point #2 - Agreed with your opinion - I'll let go this guy here (as long as the charges are dismissed ASAP)

MODS - Pls let me know if I need to be opening a new thread for this & I'll be glad to do so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks