Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 13:23   #1006
BHPian

Need help. I got an ICICI lombard car insurance for the Tata Safari for which I gave the 35 % NCB certificate from the old Safari I sold . They agreed to accept this 35 % NCB first but later on collected the full payment saying that they will refund the balance when they get the NCB certificate properly dated.

The problem with the NCB was in the certificate ( I got this after much phone calling and Email for over 9 months) was dated April 09 and it said the certificate was valid for only 3 months. I learnt from this forum that NCB certificate is valid for 3 years. Now the ICICI lombard is reneging on their promise to refund the balance amount which comes to about Rs.3500/-

What are my options now ?
Old 5th March 2010, 14:49   #1007
Senior - BHPian

My Maruti Swift insurance is expiring by March end. Currently it is with ICICI Lombard through Maruti Insurance. I have the option of choosing ICICI Lombard or Royal Sundaram if I go with Maruti Insurance from my current dealer. Is Royal Sundaram any better than ICICI Lombard? There is at least one horror story here. If not, I need to look out for other offers. If I renew it online through Maruti Insurance, I have no idea which insurance provider I will end up with. What is the best option under this scenario?

Also the insurance got transferred to my name sometime in last May. So Maruti Insurance told me that I am not eligible of NCB since the insurance against my name has not completed 365 days. Is this true? Is there some way I can get a prorata amount of NCB? Is there any other means of getting the NCB?

Appreciate your answers.

-Biju
Old 5th March 2010, 17:21   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Need help (again !) with getting/applying insurance for Tata Safari 2.2L EX. Vehcile is completing 2 years on 15th MArch 2010. I am currently on HDFC insurance. They have said that they can give me good IDV (7lac up even) which I thinks isn't worth in real scenario.

Tata has send me a mail saying if I get with them, I will get a Gold Membership Card, which will be useful for me.

I am inclined to Tata for this cause. How much IDV should I ask them to quote?
Reduce you IDV minimum by 10% from the last year's value. Don't go for that kind of IDV where in you are also not convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Need help. I got an ICICI lombard car insurance for the Tata Safari for which I gave the 35 % NCB certificate from the old Safari I sold . They agreed to accept this 35 % NCB first but later on collected the full payment saying that they will refund the balance when they get the NCB certificate properly dated.

The problem with the NCB was in the certificate ( I got this after much phone calling and Email for over 9 months) was dated April 09 and it said the certificate was valid for only 3 months. I learnt from this forum that NCB certificate is valid for 3 years. Now the ICICI lombard is reneging on their promise to refund the balance amount which comes to about Rs.3500/-

What are my options now ?
First and the last option for you is to fight properly on paper. From whom you had the old insurance?
Normally NCB letter should not take more than 10 day's to come. (Insurance company has a good IT will take much less time then that.)
Ask for the explanation from your old insurance company for the delay in issuing the NCB letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
My Maruti Swift insurance is expiring by March end. Currently it is with ICICI Lombard through Maruti Insurance. I have the option of choosing ICICI Lombard or Royal Sundaram if I go with Maruti Insurance from my current dealer. Is Royal Sundaram any better than ICICI Lombard? There is at least one horror story here. If not, I need to look out for other offers. If I renew it online through Maruti Insurance, I have no idea which insurance provider I will end up with. What is the best option under this scenario?

Also the insurance got transferred to my name sometime in last May. So Maruti Insurance told me that I am not eligible of NCB since the insurance against my name has not completed 365 days. Is this true? Is there some way I can get a prorata amount of NCB? Is there any other means of getting the NCB?

Appreciate your answers.

-Biju
1. Choosing the company:- PLEASE don't go with Icici at all. Royal is better then Icici but, search for some more option if possible.

2. NCB:- Maruti insurance story is correct you need to complete one entire year with your name on insurance, that is must. I don't think there is any shortcut to it.
Old 5th March 2010, 17:32   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
1. Choosing the company:- PLEASE don't go with Icici at all. Royal is better then Icici but, search for some more option if possible.

2. NCB:- Maruti insurance story is correct you need to complete one entire year with your name on insurance, that is must. I don't think there is any shortcut to it.
Thank you sir. I was just hoping to get an answer from you. I will check with other Maruti dealers to see if they offer insurance from other companies.

About the 2nd point, I did not know this. Thank you.
Old 5th March 2010, 17:58   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I will check with other Maruti dealers to see if they offer insurance from other companies.
My intention is to give you the right advice and see to it that you are not in trouble any point of time because of me sometime you might have to do little bit excise.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:01   #1011
BHPian

Hello RJVora,

Thanks much for initiating this eye opener thread on Motor Insurance.After reading the same I feel like I was taken for a ride by my insurance company.I have a wagon r and I am with Reliance insurance for last three years. Now its time for renewal (April 2008). I have checked all my premium documents and found that NCB is 20% in all of them. I have never made any claims so far. It looks like I should have been at 35% by now. Is that true? if yes how can I demand for it while going for renewal this time.

Also I am going for a big car in next four to five months.How can I make use of my NCB while taking insurance for that car as the premium will be very high for that.

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance
Old 5th March 2010, 18:22   #1012
BHPian

Thank you rjvora. I got the earlier insurance from ICICI Lombard only. They seem to drag their feet for ever. I will write to them as per your advice.

Thanks again
Old 6th March 2010, 08:30   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Hello RJVora,

Thanks much for initiating this eye opener thread on Motor Insurance.After reading the same I feel like I was taken for a ride by my insurance company.I have a wagon r and I am with Reliance insurance for last three years. Now its time for renewal (April 2008). I have checked all my premium documents and found that NCB is 20% in all of them. I have never made any claims so far. It looks like I should have been at 35% by now. Is that true? if yes how can I demand for it while going for renewal this time.

Also I am going for a big car in next four to five months.How can I make use of my NCB while taking insurance for that car as the premium will be very high for that.

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance
Very poor example of how bad the IT can be of an insurance company!!

Please write an simple letter to them, asking for an explanation on the above matter, attach all the copy's of insurance policy for the previous year along with your letter. Ask them to give you an endorsement in the policy within 15 day's, after receiving your letter. Mark a C.C. to IRDA and see how fast they react to your letter.

After 7 working day's forward the same letter again if you don't receive any phone call or something on the above matter. (I think with in 3 day's they will call you and talk to you.)
Old 6th March 2010, 16:43   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thank you rjvora. I got the earlier insurance from ICICI Lombard only. They seem to drag their feet for ever. I will write to them as per your advice.

Thanks again
Do let me know if you need any more help on this matter.

My love with Icici and Reliance is on heaven (or hell I am not sure) .
Old 8th March 2010, 11:34   #1015
BHPian

Hi,

How is New india Assurance company for Insurance ? My current insurance is with them. Thanks to God never got a chance to use my Insurance.Now that its time to renew, I have got quotes, however New India assurance has the highest Premium. Just wondering, is it worth. Is any one having any experience get claim done with them. How are they. Similar to ICICI or better in claim settlement?

New India assurance and ICICI are the only insurance companys which has cashless tieups with most of the Honda dealers in mumbai. Other insurance with cashless facility Tata AIG. ICICI is out of question so I am wondering which one to go for now.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:41   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Hi,

How is New india Assurance company for Insurance ? My current insurance is with them. Thanks to God never got a chance to use my Insurance.Now that its time to renew, I have got quotes, however New India assurance has the highest Premium. Just wondering, is it worth. Is any one having any experience get claim done with them. How are they. Similar to ICICI or better in claim settlement?

New India assurance and ICICI are the only insurance companys which has cashless tieups with most of the Honda dealers in mumbai. Other insurance with cashless facility Tata AIG. ICICI is out of question so I am wondering which one to go for now.
Sirji please stay away from Icici as they are very poor in claim's. Please check Bajaj's list of garage list as I know they have good list of cashless. They are good in claim's.

New India is not bad at all only problem with them is related to service issues but being a government management company I hope you will understand the service level with them.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:22   #1017
BHPian

Hi Rjv,
We are expecting delivery of a diesel Manza With ABS in a day or two. The dealership quoted an insurance amount of 20K. I declined thinking that it would be cheaper outside but after checking with ICICI, HDFC and TATA AIG, I was surprised to see all quotes at 20K+!!!!! Infact Tata AIG was 25K.

I am quite perplexed by this. Any reason for such a high quote. The car will be registered in our company's name and we have never claimed auto insurance before.

Who else should I check with for a reasonable quote?

Thanks for all your help.
Cheers,
V

Last edited by vcash : 8th March 2010 at 16:26.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:37   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Hi Rjv,
We are expecting delivery of a diesel Manza With ABS in a day or two. The dealership quoted an insurance amount of 20K. I declined thinking that it would be cheaper outside but after checking with ICICI, HDFC and TATA AIG, I was surprised to see all quotes at 20K+!!!!! Infact Tata AIG was 25K.

I am quite perplexed by this. Any reason for such a high quote. The car will be registered in our company's name and we have never claimed auto insurance before.

Who else should I check with for a reasonable quote?

Thanks for all your help.
Cheers,
V
Till date you are the first one who is saying this that dealer is chipper then direct insurance companies, I my self is surprised!!!

Anyway to answer your query, there can be two reason's for this first this is a company registration. Insurance companies consider them as a higher risk. Second reason can be less discount in the quote please ask them how much discount they have offered you in this quote. - Bargain the discount.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:02   #1019
Senior - BHPian

I have a question on motorcycle but it would apply to cars equally I guess.

I bought a used Karizma from a dealer in January. I have all the documents required. The bike did not have valid insurance at the time I bought it. Once bought, I got it insured in my name even though it was NOT transferred to my name. Now i want to get it transferred in my name, so would there be any problem?
Old 9th March 2010, 17:50   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I have a question on motorcycle but it would apply to cars equally I guess.

I bought a used Karizma from a dealer in January. I have all the documents required. The bike did not have valid insurance at the time I bought it. Once bought, I got it insured in my name even though it was NOT transferred to my name. Now i want to get it transferred in my name, so would there be any problem?
Getting insurance to this bike is also difficult how you got insurance on your name?

Transfer the name in the RC book first (which will not have any problem) then submit the new RC copy to insurance as well so that you don't face any problem in case of claim.

Most Viewed