Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 13:35   #1576
BHPian

Is there some IRDA rule which mandates minimal (say TP) insurance cover?

Am in a soup of sorts. I've been (probably spoilt) used-to car dealers reminding me when the insurance is expiring, or at-least the insurance co. sending a renewal notice. As I learnt (the hard way), they are definitely under no obligation to do so, and it is extended only as a matter of courtesy. Anyhow, I didn't renew the insurance of my wife's REVA (electric vehicle) for over a year, and realized only while renewing my other car's policy, as we found it's expired policy document. That was the start of a struggle, because having filed online requests with umpteen private insurance cos., I've got only one response, i.e. from ICICI Lombard, who have quoted a rather steep figure for a very low IDV. Other don't respond, and TATA AIG told point blank that they don't do insurance for REVA. My only hope is IFFCO TOKIA, through whom I had the previous (expired) policy. They don't respond to emails, web-based forms requesting-quote (online buy option isn't there), and calls to their bangalore office go unanswered.

Now the question is, is there any kind of directive/regulation from IRDA that mandates Insurance cos., to atleast give Third-Party insurance, if not comprehensive insurance ? Govt / police / RTO won't allow me to drive without an insurance, and no insurance co. is willing to give me an insurance (under reasonable terms), does it mean I've got a little white-elephant here ?

Looking for thoughts / suggestions or information about IRDA's regulations. Tried searching thru their site, but didn't find anything (so far).

cheers,
BDutta
Old 14th June 2011, 13:42   #1577
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

I have Tata manza, aura abs qudrajet, and got a quote for Rs18200/- approx from Tata Aig, 0 Dep, Daily allowance, Hotel expenses, towing plan.

Is it good ? should I go with it? I got 20% NCB included in the above quote.

car purchase - 23 july 2010.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:52   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11 View Post
I have Tata manza, aura abs qudrajet, and got a quote for Rs18200/- approx from Tata Aig, 0 Dep, Daily allowance, Hotel expenses, towing plan.

Is it good ? should I go with it? I got 20% NCB included in the above quote.

car purchase - 23 july 2010.
What is the hotel expenses for?

Have you tried getting quotes from other Insurers too or are you firm on going with Tata AIG/
Old 14th June 2011, 13:55   #1579
BHPian

incase of any car mishap outside mumbai, they will reimburse me the expenses on hotel stay as the vehicle can not run. Also, for hiring another vehicle to reach my destination/residence back from accident point.

and I am also in talk with berkshire hathaway (agent Bajaj Insurance) for same kind of plan , they are quoting 13k for normal insurance, and will be telling me price for 0 dep plan today.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:17   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
My car's insurance needs to be renewed early next month. Mine is a July 2006 Honda Civic S-MT that I bought last year.
I got it insured with Tata AIG after I transfered my 65% NCB from my other car. As a result, with an IDV of 7L my premium was around 9K.

But I had to claim insurance after my car met with an accident. Now when I called up Tata AIG to get a quote I was told around 26K. This is shocking to say the least.

Considering a 10% depreciation of 10%, I'd think the IDV would be around 6.3L. What should be the premium amount?
Old 15th June 2011, 11:54   #1581
BHPian

My Punto's renewal is due at the end of this month. The IDV being quoted is 4.65 - 4.75 lakhs (this is for a July 2009 1.3 MJD E-pack). The existing policy is with Bajaj Allianz and they are quoting 18k for renewal. This is daylight robbery considering I paid 11k last year and although I filed a claim, it shouldn't mean the premium should skyrocket like this. Note that last year also I had no NCB on my policy. Any suggestions for what the likely premium should be, so that I can negotiate with Bajaj or others?
Old 17th June 2011, 12:39   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
My Punto's renewal is due at the end of this month. The IDV being quoted is 4.65 - 4.75 lakhs (this is for a July 2009 1.3 MJD E-pack). The existing policy is with Bajaj Allianz and they are quoting 18k for renewal. This is daylight robbery considering I paid 11k last year and although I filed a claim, it shouldn't mean the premium should skyrocket like this. Note that last year also I had no NCB on my policy. Any suggestions for what the likely premium should be, so that I can negotiate with Bajaj or others?
Thats exactly been my problem with Bajaj Allianz, I had a 65% NCB till last year but I made one claim. Now my car's IDV is around 6.1L and the insurance premium now being quoted is 27K.
Looks like they are trying to recover the insurance claim damages made last year in this year's premium.

I did try Tata AIG, for the same IDV their quote is around 17K.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 17th June 2011 at 12:40.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:50   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thats exactly been my problem with Bajaj Allianz, I had a 65% NCB till last year but I made one claim. Now my car's IDV is around 6.1L and the insurance premium now being quoted is 27K.
Looks like they are trying to recover the insurance claim damages made last year in this year's premium.

I did try Tata AIG, for the same IDV their quote is around 17K.
Hmmm! Seems like Bajaj is licking their wounds after being the most aggresive in sourcing new business by offering discounts as high as 50%. Tata AIG, here I come! How is Iffco Tokio BTW?
Old 17th June 2011, 13:05   #1584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is Iffco Tokio BTW?
Iffco Tokio is decent; I have their policy for my Corsa. No eventuality of claiming Insurance yet, thankfully, but at least renewal etc. is hassle-free. Renewal can be easily done online.

Various charges and discounts like automobile club membership, NCB etc. too are properly mentioned.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 13:13   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any advice on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
All
I have a query about an insurance quote I received from an insurer for my pre owned Jazz. This is the first time I am taking a policy after hearing about 0% depreciation and trying to get it done.
The quote for regular policy is 12K pa and for 0% depreciation it is around 17K pa. Is this difference in amount normal? Is it worth paying 5K extra per year? I appreciate it if someone can provide an example or real life experience of availing 0% depreciation
thanks again
Old 17th June 2011, 13:44   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm! Seems like Bajaj is licking their wounds after being the most aggresive in sourcing new business by offering discounts as high as 50%. Tata AIG, here I come! How is Iffco Tokio BTW?
Seems that way doesn't it?
I just tried HDFC Ergo and they seem their quote seems to be the lowest by far, around 13K.

Has anyone tried them?
Old 17th June 2011, 14:00   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Guys, any advice on this:
@Selfdrive

The zero % depreciation is a good add on option provided by a very few Insurers. God forbid but if you were to meet an accident, the amount to be shelled out from your pockets is a great put off. Imagine paying 15K from your pocket (just an example) for repairs is heart wrenching, but with the zero % add on the whole repair tab is picked up by the Insurer. Does the 5K look meagre in front of this amount? Think about it.
I feel this option is a must for every new car owner.

See this thread for real life example.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...worked-me.html
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 20:26   #1588
BHPian

I have an existing car (with NCB of 45%) in my name. I wuld be shortly buying a new car (sedan) where the cost of insurance is likely to be between 25k to 30k. Is there a way I can transfer my NCB from existing car to my new car and save some premium?

I would not be selling my old car as it would still be used in the family. Can I transfer my car in say my wife's name and then use the NCB. Since the car is nearly 6 years old the insurance premium is not that high.

Experts please advise.
Old 17th June 2011, 21:01   #1589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I have an existing car (with NCB of 45%) in my name. I wuld be shortly buying a new car (sedan) where the cost of insurance is likely to be between 25k to 30k. Is there a way I can transfer my NCB from existing car to my new car and save some premium?

I would not be selling my old car as it would still be used in the family. Can I transfer my car in say my wife's name and then use the NCB. Since the car is nearly 6 years old the insurance premium is not that high.

Experts please advise.
Transferring the car, even in your wife's name would mean change of ownership; don't do it. It's not worth the hassle.
Old 17th June 2011, 21:29   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post

Experts please advise.
Arup,

There is no issue in keeping the car in your name itself. Only cancel the Comp insurance and get your NCB Certificate along with refund of the premium fotr the remaining period (if claims free year and I think more than 60 days remaining ). Buy a TP Insurance or a New Comp Insurance for the old car.

Use the NCB to buy Insurance for the new car.

If you use same insurer they may even give you a "fleet" discount (not sure if this is the case in India)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks