Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 17:16   #1666
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Query on claiming own damage/un accounted damage

whatever damage was not present when your inspection was done, and is now present, that can be claimed.
For insurance covered items, of course.

take it to your repair centre, preferably one which has a cashless arrangement with your insurer
otherwise waiting for the settlement can be , well, a long wait.

PS: put this in auto insurance thread.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 17:23   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Ajay,

You can claim it under own damage. You need to visit the service centre, get an estimate of repairs and contact the Insurance company preferable as Mayank pointed one which has a cashless tie up with the workshop. Once the claim is approved, then pay your contribution and reclaim a scratch free/dent free car.

Pls note if the cost of repairs is well within the amount you can save on NCB for next year then pay upfront for the repairs. If not then claim.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 18:13   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
whatever damage was not present when your inspection was done, and is now present, that can be claimed.
For insurance covered items, of course.

take it to your repair centre, preferably one which has a cashless arrangement with your insurer
otherwise waiting for the settlement can be , well, a long wait.

PS: put this in auto insurance thread.
Hi Mayankk,

Thanks for your note. Yes, the nicks, scrapes and scratches are all inherited when I was not near the car or driving it. My service center has cashless tieup with my auto insurance provider, so it's good. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Ajay,

You can claim it under own damage. You need to visit the service centre, get an estimate of repairs and contact the Insurance company preferable as Mayank pointed one which has a cashless tie up with the workshop. Once the claim is approved, then pay your contribution and reclaim a scratch free/dent free car.

Pls note if the cost of repairs is well within the amount you can save on NCB for next year then pay upfront for the repairs. If not then claim.
Hi Ghodlur,

Thanks for your note too. It's encouraging. I knew the own damage component but wasn't sure if it can be claimed as I'd never done it earlier in 6 years of car ownership. I have a zero depreciation policy so max I will pay is only Rs. 500. However, the job that the workshop will do now will surely be approximately between 7000 - 8000 bucks, which will be far more than the NCB i can claim next year. so I'll go ahead and use the insurance claim.

Phew! I'm relieved now. My car has a chance to become scratch free again. Thanks for your inputs! My query is resolved.

Cheers
aK
Old 17th September 2011, 12:41   #1669
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance - Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
... But wife or any other friend drives the car, it is for their coverage and 4 other passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanG View Post
...The i20 might be driven by my wife also now & then. In this scenario, if I take an insurnace with Unnamed Personal Accident coverage of 2L for 5 Passengers -- will the overall insurance coverage cover the instances even when my wife is driving the car, irrespective of whether I'm a passenger at that time or not?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Yes it will cover your wife and four more people in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Un-name P.A. logic, why 5 persons?: -

Eg. I have the car in my name and if I am driving that car then I need to have the owner driver p.a. cover but if I have a paid driver then I need to take paid driver p.a. - This two things is same.

Then what is the need for 5 person p.a.?

Eg. If I am not driving the car and I give my car to my friend and they are 5 people in the car. Now he is not my paid driver or he is not the owner also. that's why we need to take the premium as 5 people UN-NAME.

One can go up to Rs. 200000 for Rs. 100 per person.
Quote:
No the driver will not be counted as a passenger. If you have mentioned 5 passengers then that is excluding the driver. Does your car have 5 passenger seating capacity? If not then amend it to 4 and take the driver cover too. Answer question 10 as yes. If at all times the car will be driven by yourself then no need to take the PA for driver cover. Hope this helps.
Vora-ji, Shan, Lonford, Ghodlur - excuse me for bringing up an old post but as far as I know the policy will cover only as per the Indian Motor Tariff conditions.

IMT 15 - Personal accident cover to the insured or any named person other than paid driver or cleaner

and

IMT 16 - Personal accident cover to Unnamed passengers other than insured and the paid driver and cleaner.

The policy schedule usually defines the word "Driver" but does not define "Passenger". In case wife/ friend who is not named is driving then they are neither owner, named person, paid driver or passenger - in such a case have you in your experience (God forbid!) seen a case where compensation has been paid. Or have you been able to obtain any clarification that mentioning 5 passengers is enough to take care of the situation.

The reason I am asking is because both Bajaj and Bharati AXA are unclear about the outcome and are giving me all sorts of answers that are not satisfactory.

Godhlur also seems to have a different experience.

Last edited by aghosht : 17th September 2011 at 12:48. Reason: corrections
Old 17th September 2011, 18:07   #1670
BHPian

Most cars, if not all, are sold as 5 seater cars with the rear having 3 seat belts for 3 passengers.

Driver cannot be counted as passenger, unless it is a bizzare case like car getting towed and 5 passengers sitting in it including one person in the driver seat.

I had a similar query in one of my renewals and my friend stepped in and pointed out the definition of driver includes ANY person with a valid license and that person is automatically covered. The cover for unamed passengers is for anyone who rides in the car apart from the driver.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:32   #1671
Senior - BHPian

@Aghosht,

Ever car Insurance premium calculation will have three components
1) Owner driver personal accident cover
2) Unnamed passenger personal accident cover
3) Paid driver personal accident cover

Depends upon what you choose. Now coming to your query whether the Insurance co is liable to pay if either your wife or friend was driving, then the Insurance co is not liable to do so under the Owner driver PA cover unless your wife or friend are registered co-owners, have a valid driving licence and are named as Insured in the policy. Your wife maybe the co-owner but definitely not your friend. If your wife is not a co-owner then she and your friends would be covered under the Unnamed passenger PA cover if you have opted in the premium. Now in this case if either your wife or friends are driving and have an accident(God forbid) then Insurance co is liable to pay only under the unnamed passenger cover only and not under both Owner/driver and Unnamed passenger cover subject to your approval.

Regarding the seating capacity the Insurance co in not liable to pay if the no of unnamed passengers is more than the seating capacity of the car being insured.

Paid driver is totally different from the 1 & 2 above. I have attached a word document which mentions the rules. Please read the highlighted sections.
Attached Files
File Type: docx PERSONAL ACCIDENT COVER FOR OWNER.docx (12.2 KB, 519 views)
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 17:35   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
@Aghosht,

Ever car Insurance premium calculation ... Please read the highlighted sections.
Great. So here's my take:

1. For PA purposes it doesn't matter if Passenger is not named if premium for 5 persons have been paid under IMT 16

2. In case of invoking 1 above PA will be paid to unnamed passenger directly.

3. There is no requirement of mentioning "named driver" under IMT 15 as that person will be convered under IMT 16 anyways

In that case, I have 3 questions:
- why is there a separate head as PA for "named person" under IMT 15
- why is there a separate head as PA for "paid driver" under IMT 17
- if person is named under IMT15 then will the insured be paid if need be (since it says "or"!)

Attaching text of IMT15, IMT16 and IMT 17

I'm asking all of these and am hoping to get clarity as the policy does not mention anything clearly - there can be 2 interpretations which the company will (try and) definitely use to their advantage!

Vora-ji - where art thou!?
Attached Files
File Type: doc IMT 15.doc (29.0 KB, 1991 views)

Last edited by aghosht : 19th September 2011 at 17:36. Reason: addition
Old 19th September 2011, 18:35   #1673
BHPian

To make it clearer here's what IMT 16 excludes (see bold portion) :

"In consideration of the payment of an additional premium it is hereby understood and agreed that the Insurer undertakes to pay compensation on the scale provided below for bodily injuries hereinafter defined sustained by any passenger other than the insured and/or the paid driver attendant or cleaner and/or a person in the employ of the insured coming within the scope of the Workmen’s Compensation Act 1923 and subsequent amendments of the said Act and engaged in and upon the service of the insured at the time such injuries sustained whilst mounting into dismounting from or travelling in but not driving the insured motor car and caused by violent, accidental, external and visible means which independently of any other cause shall within three calendar months of the occurrence of such injury results in:-..."
Old 20th September 2011, 19:37   #1674
Team-BHP Support

My Corsa's Insurance is set for renewal on 27th Oct '11. While going thru' the Iffco Tokio website, I came across this question : "Do you want to avail voluntary excess discount" and there were options from 2500 to 15000. Any idea on what it is and benefits/disadvantages?

The car is a Oct '05 make and been with Iffco Tokio since registration.

Attaching a screenshot of further info on the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-1.jpg  

Old 20th September 2011, 20:27   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Suppose if you choose a voluntary excess of 2500. Later in the year you make a claim and the insurance company is liable to give you Rs 10k, they will pay you 10k-5k=5k.

Its a good way to reduce your premium if you are reasonably sure that you will not claim insurance unless its a big amount.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 20:48   #1676
BHPian

I am in dilema about insurance for my new honda jazz.

The options i have is:

Go with honda assure or take insurance on my own with tata/icici et al. Taking it on my own will save me some 4k.

What are the advantages of Honda Assure vis a vis taking it on my own.

If you suggest taking it on my own, which company should i go for.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:42   #1677
BHPian

Hi,

Am buying insurance for my new Fabia. I have 50% NCB from my previous car which I am transferring to Fabia.

Based on the deal that I got, I am required to take the insurance from the dealer but dealer has said that NCB is not applicable on "Drive Assure" component (0% depreciation) and want to check this. Is NCB applicable to the optional 0% depreciation component as well?

~maniac
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:42   #1678
Team-BHP Support

Is a Blackcat Gear-lock considered a RTO-approved anti-theft device?

It will save some Rs. 200 on my Insurance premium. I'm not too keen on taking a risk for 200 bucks.
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:15   #1679
BHPian

Recently I was in the middle of a pile-up.
My front bumper torn and the back bumper won't sit on the hooks. The joint-gaps are more than normal.
Insurance guy insists on covering only front bumper damage.
It seems any damages in the back requires FIR.
Is this true?
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:31   #1680
BHPian

My insurance is for renewal by Oct 4th. I got quotes from tata-aif and bajaj allianz

tata aig
12082 for an IDV of 412131

bajaj alianz
14843 for an IDV of 460000
Are these quotes on the higher side?

I had made a claim in my current policy. So there is no NCB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks