Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 11:23   #2851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Your ideal IDV should be less than 4L i.e 3.98L. If you opt for this then premium will be further reduced by another 500 bucks maybe and the subsequent reduction in the add on charges. Also whats the amount Rs 485 added to the zero dep cost.
Hmm, I think I'll keep the IDV at the higher rate. The 485 bucks covers loss of keys (in which case it should cover change of the entire locking system)/breakage of keys and a bunch of other things (hotel stay blah blah). The key fob has the built in lock/unlock function so I thought this was useful.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:49   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The 485 bucks covers loss of keys (in which case it should cover change of the entire locking system)/breakage of keys and a bunch of other things (hotel stay blah blah). The key fob has the built in lock/unlock function so I thought this was useful.
Can you confirm that? Why would you change the entire locking system in case of loss of keys? Wouldnt Honda provide a new set of keys based on the engine VIN or some other parameters? How much would Tata's predetermined bundled packages Gold/Pearl cost?

Tata Aig website says this about the add on.
Quote:
Key Replacement
This cover pays the cost to replace vehicle keys if lost or stolen, plus the cost of locks if the vehicle is broken into

Last edited by ghodlur : 7th February 2014 at 11:50.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:07   #2853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm that? Why would you change the entire locking system in case of loss of keys? Wouldnt Honda provide a new set of keys based on the engine VIN or some other parameters? How much would Tata's predetermined bundled packages Gold/Pearl cost?

Tata Aig website says this about the add on.
Okay,so you got me with my pants down on this one.

The Gold plan is the basic add on package and covers a bunch of things - costing 485. the pearl plan covers just the zero dep as an add-on and costs 1800 odd bucks. I confirmed this through a policy quotation straight from TATA aig as well. See below.

And I don't know about the locking system man. but its interesting to see that they don't cover the plastic fob breaking/shattering. What happens then? How would Honda fix it?
Attached Images

Old 7th February 2014, 12:23   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 485 bucks covers loss of keys (in which case it should cover change of the entire locking system)/breakage of keys and a bunch of other things (hotel stay blah blah). The key fob has the built in lock/unlock function so I thought this was useful.
Interesting if it does really cover the change of entire locking mechanism and all these things.

Quote:
Why would you change the entire locking system in case of loss of keys? Wouldnt Honda provide a new set of keys based on the engine VIN or some other parameters?
It is better to replace the locking mechanism if the key is ever lost. The lost key would create security threat to your car any which way even if Anti-Theft is installed on the car. Replacing the locking mechanism cost is hefty. If the key is broken/dilapidated, it would better replaced using the key tag from the manufacturer. I assume this later part will not be covered by any insurer as the wear and tear are not covered in any plan.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:36   #2855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Interesting if it does really cover the change of entire locking mechanism and all these things.

It is better to replace the locking mechanism if the key is ever lost. The lost key would create security threat to your car any which way even if Anti-Theft is installed on the car. Replacing the locking mechanism cost is hefty. If the key is broken/dilapidated, it would better replaced using the key tag from the manufacturer. I assume this later part will not be covered by any insurer as the wear and tear are not covered in any plan.
The entire locking mechanism will be replaced *only* if the car shows signs of having been broken into!
Old 7th February 2014, 12:44   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but its interesting to see that they don't cover the plastic fob breaking/shattering. What happens then? How would Honda fix it?
It will interesting to know Tata AIG's and Honda response to your query. Mind posting the pic of the fob? I guess you should be able to buy the case on ebay. Thats what Fiatians generally do, get the case when the lock opening spring on the plasticky key fob goes kaput.

Last edited by ghodlur : 7th February 2014 at 12:47. Reason: spell check
Old 7th February 2014, 12:56   #2857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will interesting to know Tata AIG's and Honda response to your query. Mind posting the pic of the fob? I guess you should be able to buy the case on ebay. Thats what Fiatians generally do, get the case when the lock opening spring on the plasticky key fob goes kaput.
here's the picture: http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Hond...da-brio-05.jpg
Old 7th February 2014, 13:05   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but its interesting to see that they don't cover the plastic fob breaking/shattering. What happens then?
This will answer to your above question.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Honda-Flip-Ke...item417c2df65b
Old 7th February 2014, 19:12   #2859
BHPian

My Fiesta's Insurance is due for renewal. It’s going to step into its fifth year now. Is there any zero depreciation policy available for 4 year old cars?. My current insurance is with Bajaj Allianz.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:14   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
My Fiesta's Insurance is due for renewal. It’s going to step into its fifth year now. Is there any zero depreciation policy available for 4 year old cars?. My current insurance is with Bajaj Allianz.
As of now we know only Future generali & Bharati Axa offer zero dep add on for a 4yr old car. But this will be the last year of opting for the zero dep option, make most use of it. Check whether the workshop has a cashless tie up with these Insurers.
Old 8th February 2014, 15:39   #2861
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a new bike. I have not made any claims on my existing bike since the last 10+ years. In case i am not selling the existing bike, what is the procedure to transfer the existing NCB to the new vehicle.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:44   #2862
Senior - BHPian

The front of my dad's Indigo CS was taken out by a red light jumper at Sony World early yesterday. The Enjoy hit the Indigo near the left front wheel - turned the car by 45% - and the front seems to have a 10-15% bend from the rest of the car

Car REgistered on 10th July 2008
Car's IDV: a shade over 2L

The options seem to be -

1.) Repairs - anywhere between 80k to 1.5L from initial estimates. Could be as high as 1.8L. We'll apparently need to pay nearly 50% overall!
2.) Total Loss

Concorde will give us an estimate tomorrow, and then call the surveyor. I don't really understand how a total-loss is calculated - would be grateful if someone could explain that. My understanding was that it's based on repair costs >75% of IDV. Someone said it's based on the company's liability, not the repair costs alone.

Also, am very nervous how repairable the car is, given that the front seems really out of shape and there might be extensive damage to the mechanicals. Can we push hard for a total loss based on this or other criteria? What's our liability then?

Finally, does it being an out of state vehicle (with a month old NOC) have any impact on the salvage value, if it comes to that?

Last edited by zenx : 9th February 2014 at 11:11.
Old 9th February 2014, 11:24   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
The front of my dad's Indigo CS was taken out by a red light jumper at Sony World early yesterday. The Enjoy hit the Indigo near the left front wheel - turned the car by 45% - and the front seems to have a 10-15% bend from the rest of the car
Here's a pic of the car:

Old 9th February 2014, 12:14   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I'm planning to buy a new bike. I have not made any claims on my existing bike since the last 10+ years. In case i am not selling the existing bike, what is the procedure to transfer the existing NCB to the new vehicle.
You can get the NCB letter from the current Insurer and use it while buying the Insurance for the new bike. For the older bike, you can buy a TPL only policy. NCB moves with the owner and not with the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I don't really understand how a total-loss is calculated - would be grateful if someone could explain that. My understanding was that it's based on repair costs >75% of IDV. Someone said it's based on the company's liability, not the repair costs alone.

Also, am very nervous how repairable the car is, given that the front seems really out of shape and there might be extensive damage to the mechanicals. Can we push hard for a total loss based on this or other criteria? What's our liability then?

Finally, does it being an out of state vehicle (with a month old NOC) have any impact on the salvage value, if it comes to that?
@Zenx,

Sorry to hear about the incident. Yes you right in saying that the vehicle will be treated as total loss if the repair cost exceeds 75% of the IDV and no its not based on company's liability but purely on repair costs only. I would suggest get the Surveyor ASAP & he would be the person deciding for you if its a total loss. As per your post, I guess the structural integrity of the car is seriously compromised, hence you should push for a total loss. Ideally in this case, the Insurance co is liable to pay the IDV but many a times its a tough fight. In most cases Insurance co pays a certain amount and the rest is to be taken from the salvage co. Having an out of state vehicle wouldnt matter as long as the vehicle documents are clear and available.
Old 9th February 2014, 15:53   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
It is not possible to use NCB from old vehicle on the new vehicle if you are not selling/transferring the old one.

The catch is that you can transfer the vehicle to somebody in household without selling. Buy a new insurance for the old vehicle which can be just Third Party.

Get a NCB letter from your insurer for the old vehicle and use it to get NCB transferred to the insurance of the new vehicle.

Most Viewed