Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:30   #3346
BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

You can challenge the Surveyor if he says both the things are not connected. Due to the toppling maybe the engine was seized or the engine hit something which caused it to topple. In either case its an accident and one claim hence surveyor cannot isolate both the issues. I think since the structural integrity is compromised, better opt for total loss
Thanks- even I am in favor of writing off. However, looks like the surveyor is pushing for only non-engine damages to be covered in insurance, with engine work to be paid out of pocket. I am guessing that he will try to pass off the engine damage as incidental to the accident (by people putting it back on the road!) which apparently is covered only under an add-on policy called engine shield or something (which I don't have).

This is what the add-on says "Your car engine is prone to damage caused by leakage of lubricating oil, damage to gear box or water ingression. The Engine Protector covers consequential damage to the engine due to any of these reasons." However, my policy transcript/cover note does not have any wording on such exclusions.

What should be my approach if the surveyor submits such a report to insurance agency? Straight away file a dispute with IRDA or national consumer disputes redressal commission? My insurance is cashless, so if the insurer only pays the "chassis" work (which is less than 75% IDV, so no write-off ), I would end up having to pay, getting the work done, and then claiming- which I don't prefer to.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:03   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
That's the correct approach although I am not sure whether ICICI will treat bot the claims during a single repair or ask you to claim at different time periods. A lot will depend on the surveyor report, if the same surveyor is appointed for both the claims.
I got a call from them last evening asking why hadn't I informed of the first accident earlier? I said, I wasn't sure if the damage warranted an insurance claim. He said, he would get back to me.

Is there any rule or law about the number of days after a claim can't be lodged.

Do I have any say in here at all? I have not claimed from ICICI Lombard before.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:57   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I got a call from them last evening asking why hadn't I informed of the first accident earlier? I said, I wasn't sure if the damage warranted an insurance claim. He said, he would get back to me.

Is there any rule or law about the number of days after a claim can't be lodged.

Do I have any say in here at all? I have not claimed from ICICI Lombard before.
From what I heard from a body shop guy at an MASS, you cannot make a claim for 2 separate damages (which happened under separate incidents). You have to claim for only one damage. I'm not sure if it is legal or the insurance companies are pulling a fast one on us, the unsuspecting customers.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:50   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakesht View Post
What should be my approach if the surveyor submits such a report to insurance agency? Straight away file a dispute with IRDA or national consumer disputes redressal commission? My insurance is cashless, so if the insurer only pays the "chassis" work (which is less than 75% IDV, so no write-off ), I would end up having to pay, getting the work done, and then claiming- which I don't prefer to.
If you read the policy document, there are two contradictory statements - one which says that Co is liable to pay for any damage due to accidental external means and second statement in the exclusions which say that any damage due to wear and tear etc will not be liable for claim. The surveyor will keep arguing with these two statements, you need to stand ground saying that engine seizure was a result due to the toppling and its an accidental claim. No two thoughts about that. Regarding the Engine shield add on, that option is generally used when there is no accident and there is a damage to the engine due to the said reasons, Argue on that and argue hard. Taking it up to IRDA will delay matters. I would suggest get to know from workshop about the engine damage. If it is withing manageable budget, repair it on your own. Else present the case as strongly as you can with the Surveyor/Insurer.

Quote:
Is there any rule or law about the number of days after a claim can't be lodged
There is no rule which defines any time limit for the claim, its just that you opted for getting both the claims done at the same time. If ICICI wants you to file 2 different claims, then do the second claim after some time say a fortnight or so. As long as you get the repairs done with claims, suits you the best. Do you have a zero depreciation add on cover along with the Insurance.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:16   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
From what I heard from a body shop guy at an MASS, you cannot make a claim for 2 separate damages (which happened under separate incidents). .
What you cannot do is claim two separate accidents in one single claim but you can do so in two claims. I know quite a few friends who have done so at MASS.

Quote:
There is no rule which defines any time limit for the claim, its just that you opted for getting both the claims done at the same time. If ICICI wants you to file 2 different claims, then do the second claim after some time say a fortnight or so. As long as you get the repairs done with claims, suits you the best. Do you have a zero depreciation add on cover along with the Insurance.
Thanks for that.
I remember the claim handler specifically asked - how can you prove the accident happened on a certain date (about the 1st accident). And I counter questioned - How can your prove it did not?
All ICICI Lombard is trying to do is honor one and not honor the other in my view. I do not have a Zero Dep Insurance.
I have looked at all the policy papers and its no where written that I cannot put in two separate claims.

Also, I do not think that after you have settled one claim - the insurer would pay for the damages already occurred.

I will keep this forum posted so that it helps others.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 23rd June 2015 at 17:17.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 18:04   #3351
BHPian

My 14 year old Ikon is due for insurance renewal next month. Its with Bajaj Allianz now. They are asking for 7k for renewal for an IDV of 125k. My current NCB is 50%. When I enquired for third party liability only insurance, the guy on phone says it will also cost me around 6k. Is it possible for TPL to be so much?

What other options do I have? I don't want to spend so much money.
Old 25th June 2015, 18:27   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
My 14 year old Ikon is due for insurance renewal next month. Its with Bajaj Allianz now. They are asking for 7k for renewal for an IDV of 125k. My current NCB is 50%. When I enquired for third party liability only insurance, the guy on phone says it will also cost me around 6k. Is it possible for TPL to be so much?

What other options do I have? I don't want to spend so much money.
The TPL only premium should hardly exceed 3K incl the taxes. 6K is a daylight robbery. The only options you have is to search for other Insurers. Have you tried online for BA, are the premium values same?
Old 29th June 2015, 11:10   #3353
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Need some info.
today, i wanted to claim insurance for my honda activa damage.
it's oriental insurance company. my honda dealer said, i need to go and fill some form at insurance company office and submit the copy at the dealership.
then insurance person will come to assess.
is this a valid process?

dealer is also charging 800 Rs as insurance processing fee. is it valid?

i just had talk with ICICI lombard and their process is really good. we need to call on toll free, person will come to assess the vehicle in next 24 hours. we need to give required documents to dealer at the time of leaving vehicle for repair.
Old 29th June 2015, 11:54   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
my honda dealer said, i need to go and fill some form at insurance company office and submit the copy at the dealership.
then insurance person will come to assess.
is this a valid process?

dealer is also charging 800 Rs as insurance processing fee. is it valid?
Unfortunately that is the process with Oriental Insurance. Being a govt PSU Insurance co, they do have these disadvantages. Try calling their toll free no and see if they can do away with you going to their office.

Why is the dealer charging the Insurance processing fee, it should be charged by the Insurance co isnt it? I guess this is the compulsory deductible charges and if so, it will Rs 100/- charged by the Insurance co. The workshop should give an estimate of the repairs required, based on that you can go ahead with the claims.
Old 29th June 2015, 15:34   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I do not think that after you have settled one claim - the insurer would pay for the damages already occurred.

I will keep this forum posted so that it helps others.
Quoting myself on this further:

ICICI approved both my claims, though they took a good 3 days to do so.
Also, in case of the bumper painting - ICICI only approved for half bumper painting (whereas Bharti AXA always approved a full bumper repaint)

I have yet to receive the car and the final bill, I'd post more details after that.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 13:44   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Hi fellas.. I have a query.

My car was insured with Bharti AXA with no NCB and add ons of nil dep and consumables. The car met with an accident and the surveyor told me that since there were few minor scratches on the door, I need to pay the painting charges. Also, he told me that Work Contract Tax as levied by the dealer is not admissible under the policy. The policy is silent on these.. What are my options? Ombudsman?

P.S.: I've already paid the money and have taken delivery of the car.
Old 7th July 2015, 14:00   #3357
Distinguished - BHPian

I was renewing my insurance for the fiesta, and entered all the correct details.
I got a quote, picked out fiesta 1.6 SXi petrol from the options, and renewed the insurance. I got the soft copy of the cover note, and then saw that the cc mentioned is 1400.
As far as I know, There IS not petrol 1.4 "fiesta 1.6 SXi ".
What to do now?
Ive already mailed them the error.
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-image-1.png  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-image.png  

Old 7th July 2015, 14:01   #3358
BHPian

Hello guys, a friend's i10 Grand's windshield has been allegedly cracked by the daily morning car wash guy.

She wants to know if she should claim insurance for the same or pay from her pocket? Also, should she go to Hyundai service centre for the job or get it done somewhere outside?

-Bhargav
Attached Thumbnails
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-img20150707wa0001.jpg  

Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me-img20150707wa0002.jpg  

Old 7th July 2015, 14:05   #3359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Hello guys, a friend's i10 Grand's windshield has been allegedly cracked by the daily morning car wash guy.

She wants to know if she should claim insurance for the same or pay from her pocket? Also, should she go to Hyundai service centre for the job or get it done somewhere outside?

-Bhargav
Would be around 5-7K in all, if she does it out of her own pocket. Weigh that against NCB savings, if they exist.
Windshield experts will replace the shield and file insurance, and she will have to pay a total of 1500-2000 bucks as installation. No claims on that.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 15:36   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
What are my options? Ombudsman?
Does this mean that you did get the car service at non authorized workshop and then raised a claim? You can get the workshop talk to the surveyor in your presence regarding the tax part. IMO the painting is also covered in the claim. All you need to pay is the compulsory deductible only since consumables will be taken care by the consumables add on cover and the balance repair charges by the zero dep add on cover. Any particular reason why you paid the repair charges upfront??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I got the soft copy of the cover note, and then saw that the cc mentioned is 1400.
As far as I know, There IS not petrol 1.4 "fiesta 1.6 SXi ".
Call up the customer care and inform them of the discrepancies. The screenshot you attached do not show the cc details
Unfortunately your petrol car is converted into diesel one.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks