Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 07:26   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
That's a pretty interesting scenario.
i) For a company that's not clearly communicating on what they are quoting for, what would happen if there was a real claim sometime? Expect similar scenario
ii) Any positive experiences with Reliance that makes you brand loyal to them?
iii) The name Reliance itself does not stand for trust or honesty. I would simply avoid Reliance for whatever product or service without looking at the cost/price/value.

Surely, go for one quick exploration of other quotes online. Maybe, any of these online aggregators would surely be of huge help.
Please post your experience when you finalize one. What's the expiry date of current insurance?
One plus point was that they have a cashless tie up with my Hyundai Service Center , not sure if others ( except Bajaj Allianz ) will have this feature with the service center in my location. But Yes, it has made me think again and I feel going with Reliance might not be such a good idea after all.
Old 29th July 2015, 13:33   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you read the policy document, there are two contradictory statements - one which says that Co is liable to pay for any damage due to accidental external means and second statement in the exclusions which say that any damage due to wear and tear etc will not be liable for claim. The surveyor will keep arguing with these two statements, you need to stand ground saying that engine seizure was a result due to the toppling and its an accidental claim. No two thoughts about that. Regarding the Engine shield add on, that option is generally used when there is no accident and there is a damage to the engine due to the said reasons, Argue on that and argue hard. Taking it up to IRDA will delay matters. I would suggest get to know from workshop about the engine damage. If it is withing manageable budget, repair it on your own. Else present the case as strongly as you can with the Surveyor/Insurer.
Long pending update- after visiting the dealership and insurance agency, I discovered that both of them missed out a couple of obviously damaged parts Currently, the insurance company is willing to pay around 90% of the IDV as write-off (around 30k short of IDV).

Regarding the engine damage, the dealership cannot confirm the extent of the damage, unless they open it up, for which I have to pay the charges. The insurance agency is yet to budge from their stance that this was not caused by the accident, but by me cranking/running the vehicle. My counter question of why would someone start a vehicle unable to move, with no wheels- was dodged by them.

Thinking of settling for write-off considering the uncertainty in the engine damage and the potential costs exceeding the IDV.

Another interesting discovery- apparently, the insurance company has treated sealants as a plastic part, putting it under 50% depreciation. Not sure if that makes any sense at all!
Old 1st August 2015, 14:07   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Surely, go for one quick exploration of other quotes online. Maybe, any of these online aggregators would surely be of huge help.
Please post your experience when you finalize one. What's the expiry date of current insurance?
I just checked and the only insurers with cashless tie up with my authorized service centers are Reliance and ICICI Lombard. Who is better in claims ?
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:24   #3379
BHPian

Guys,
Planning to go with them for my new vehicle since they have the cashless tie ups with my dealer (Trident) in Bangalore. I have opted for below two add-ons:
1. Depreciation Cover
2. Passenger Cover

Need your inputs/views/opinion on below:
1. How is Bharati Axa in terms of settlement
2. Should I also opt for "Hydrostatic Cover" and "Consumables Cover" (Costs almost 2100 extra for both)
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:30   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupams View Post
1. How is Bharati Axa in terms of settlement
Bharti Axa is pathetic in terms of settlement. See my latest experience here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...at-emptor.html
Old 5th August 2015, 12:10   #3381
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Our car recently met with accident and we are going for a cashless claim with L&T insurance.

2 Two wheelers were involved, once guy came on the wrong side of the road and hit the car from the left, damaging left side of the bumper and when the driver braked, the other guy hit the car's right-side view mirror and broke it.

The insurance surveyor tells me, if I need both of them changed using insurance, I have to do 2 separate claims, which does not make sense as its a single accident. If I do claim 2, then I will be in trouble as I have a bumper-to-bumper and after 2 claims, the insurance becomes the normal insurance where the depreciation is applied.

Could you please advice me on what to do?

The bumper costs 8000 and side view mirror costs 6500.

I own a Hyundai Verna Fluidic.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:02   #3382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
The insurance surveyor tells me, if I need both of them changed using insurance, I have to do 2 separate claims, which does not make sense as its a single accident. If I do claim 2, then I will be in trouble as I have a bumper-to-bumper and after 2 claims, the insurance becomes the normal insurance where the depreciation is applied.
That's the saddest part. You would need to prove that both the damages happened due to one accident, hence once claim. You need to argue and argue hard with the surveyor as to how can he prove that both the damages are not due to one accident. The surveyors are known to relent if they are proved wrong. Suggest to stick your ground and ensure both the repairs are clubbed in one claim. Maybe the workshop can help you in this.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:01   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
That's the saddest part. You would need to prove that both the damages happened due to one accident, hence once claim. You need to argue and argue hard with the surveyor as to how can he prove that both the damages are not due to one accident. The surveyors are known to relent if they are proved wrong. Suggest to stick your ground and ensure both the repairs are clubbed in one claim. Maybe the workshop can help you in this.
They are keeping their ground on 2 separate claims.
I have told them to cancel the claim and I would pay from my pocket, so that i can keep the NCB.
Old 5th August 2015, 14:58   #3384
BHPian

This happened to me around two years back. In an accident with a motorcycle jumping head-on into my lane, my car had damages in the front right area. I had auto insurance through Oriental then. They had paid around 75% of the repair cost and I paid off the rest. Since the vehicle was getting repaired at a different town from where I stayed, I did not have a chance to follow up and take a look at the work being done.

I was just going through the bill yesterday and saw some items that are billed, but not replaced! That is, these not-replaced items were financed from my own money and with that of the insurance company.

I don't want to do anything about it now, but for future reference,

Q.1 Even after the surveyor okays the claim and approves the subsequent repairs, can I interfere and say that this component is not changed and it is on the bill? What happens then?

Q2. The workshop painting was inferior because a few weeks later, I could see faint yellow patches through the white on the painted bumper and hood. Could I take it back to the workshop and expect a free repaint? Would they pull a clause saying that the paint damage happened due to other reasons

Q3. Are surveyors crooked? Do they have any incentive from the parent company for doing an impartial survey? Obviously the workshop would gain by bribing the surveyor.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:52   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Q.1 Even after the surveyor okays the claim and approves the subsequent repairs, can I interfere and say that this component is not changed and it is on the bill? What happens then?

Q2. The workshop painting was inferior because a few weeks later, I could see faint yellow patches through the white on the painted bumper and hood. Could I take it back to the workshop and expect a free repaint? Would they pull a clause saying that the paint damage happened due to other reasons

Q3. Are surveyors crooked? Do they have any incentive from the parent company for doing an impartial survey? Obviously the workshop would gain by bribing the surveyor.
To answer your queries serially:
1) To start with, you don't pay for spares that have not been replaced. This will be a a very good check when you do not have a zero depreciation add on cover and you paying partly from your pocket too. If its consumables, then you can overlook but major spares which can seen upfront if not changed should not be there in the bill at all.

2) You are entitled to a free paint repair unless proved otherwise.

3) Not all surveyors are rigid or crooked. I have seen some genuine surveyors who suggest some good things too to your benefit. Generally the surveyors are not on the Insurance co payrolls, they are an outsourced party. They earn their commission irrespective of the claim amounts. Even if they are bribed by the workshops, it will be workshop's loss as the Insurance co will no longer want to have a cashless tie up with the workshop if they find any irregularities.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 20:20   #3386
BHPian

Friends,
My 3-year-old Skoda Yeti's insurance is due for renewal and unlike then this time I have an able allay with Me and that is this thread. Firstly, I have received a quote from my previous insurer/service provider HDFC Ergo for 42000 with a add-on titanium plan for an IDV of 1250000.00. The policy covers engine protection, consumables, zero depreciation, co-passenger insurances, NCB protection, and return to invoice majorly. Looks good to me but wish some options if anybody has got better than this. Over the past couple of years, I have found strangely the present insurer does not give you a good deal on renewal and had to shift from Bajaj to ICICI to the present HDFC Ergo. My insurance is due in the month of September so got time on my side.
Old 7th August 2015, 00:50   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to answer your question , the expiry date is 10th August.

I'm in a dilemma as the only 3 Insurers with cashless tie up with my Hyundai ASC are Reliance , ICICI and Royal Sundaram. Since all 3 are equally shady when it comes to claims settlements , I'm not sure what to do now.

I have decided to let premium and cashless tie up go for a toss and opt for someone who gives the best service and honors claims honestly. Which insurer would that be other than the 3 above ?

Also if the insurer does not have a cashless tie up with my ASC , how is the claim amount settled ? Would I have to pay first from my hand and then the Insurer repays me later ?
Old 7th August 2015, 08:29   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Firstly, I have received a quote from my previous insurer/service provider HDFC Ergo for 42000 with a add-on titanium plan for an IDV of 1250000.00. The policy covers engine protection, consumables, zero depreciation, co-passenger insurances, NCB protection, and return to invoice majorly. Looks good to me but wish some options if anybody has got better than this.
Good that you have started your homework early, will be beneficial I am sure. Step 1: Confirm the correct IDV. Step 2: Confirm the insurance co who have cashless tie up with Skoda workshop where you service the car. Step 3: Get online quotes (incl the add on covers) from the shortlisted Insurance co & compare line to line. Remember ensure to get the quotes for the Step 1. Step 4: Have an informal chat with the workshop regarding the claim process for the shortlisted Insurance co. Step 5: Buy the Insurance online.

Let us know the outcome of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I'm in a dilemma as the only 3 Insurers with cashless tie up with my Hyundai ASC are Reliance , ICICI and Royal Sundaram. Since all 3 are equally shady when it comes to claims settlements , I'm not sure what to do now.
IMHO Royal Sundaram is not at all shady when it comes to claims settlement - two self experiences which were very satisfactory.

Quote:
Which insurer would that be other than the 3 above ?
Difficult to answer. But have you checked who is Hyundai tied up nationally for Insurance. It will be beneficial to take insurance from that co.

Quote:
Also if the insurer does not have a cashless tie up with my ASC , how is the claim amount settled ? Would I have to pay first from my hand and then the Insurer repays me later ?
Correct. But there will always be a questionable part as to how much will the Insurer pay back after you have paid up. There may be difference of opinions.
Old 7th August 2015, 14:41   #3389
BHPian

Hi Everybody

I have a query on Insurance premium quotes which i recieved.

I want to buy a vehicle ex CSD and asked for quotes from Renault for Duster RXZ (O) and Vento Petrol 1.2 TSI Highline alongwith Zero Dep Insurance.

Was quite surprised to see that even though the Duster is 2 Lakhs more than Vento, the insurance of Vento is much higher . Dealers quoted the following

Duster RXZ (O) CSD Price : Rs 1137694.00 and Insurance (Zero Dep) : Rs 33650.00
Vento 1.2 TSI Highline CSD Price : Rs 959745.00 and Insurance (Zero Dep) : Rs 59338.00

Can anybody explain how this difference

Last edited by nkghai : 7th August 2015 at 14:45. Reason: formatting
Old 11th August 2015, 14:48   #3390
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have to renew my car's (Ritz) insurance by 2nd September, 2015. My insurer for first three years was New India Assurance.
Now while getting a quote, I am being told that I cannot take a zero dep. insurance after the third year from Maruti. Whereas, I am getting quotes from other insurers from policy bazaar.

Can someone please shed some light on why I am not getting Zero dep. insurance from Maruti and what are the pros and cons of buying zero dep. insurance from outside.

Most Viewed