Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 23:06   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

In reality, even for total loss cases, the cars are rarely scrapped.
Very true!
I was under the illusion that once the car is declared as a 'total loss', the scrap yard is the only place it'll be heading to! It was only when a close friend's car met with an accident did I realise how pathetic the state of affairs are in reality!
So, my friend's car met with an accident. The insurance survey was done and it was decided that the car would be declared as a total loss. The insurance company then took their own sweet time to make the payment, citing lack of scrap buyers as the reason. My friend finally received the payout after a few months and soon forgot all about the car.. until, one fine day, another friend picked up the same car! Upon checking the KA registration info site, we were shocked to discover that my friend's name was still listed as the 'owner'.

Wonder who was responsible for the gross irregularity.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 16th May 2016 at 23:07.
Old 16th May 2016, 23:25   #3677
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Very true!
I was under the illusion that once the car is declared as a 'total loss', the scrap yard is the only place it'll be heading to! It was only when a close friend's car met with an accident did I realise how pathetic the state of affairs are in reality!
Wonder who was responsible for the gross irregularity.
Even though insurance company would have given a impression that the car is a total loss, they would have actually documented it as "Salvage Loss". If they have termed it as "Salvage Loss" in the final settlement, then they have the rights to sell the car.
Old 16th May 2016, 23:33   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Even though insurance company would have given a impression that the car is a total loss, they would have actually documented it as "Salvage Loss". If they have termed it as "Salvage Loss" in the final settlement, then they have the rights to sell the car.
So, who would the 'seller' be? Insurance company or the registered owner? The insurance company collects the signed 29/30 forms, right?
In my friend's case, the car had already passed through an owner before ending up with the other friend, all the while the registered owner still being my friend.
Old 17th May 2016, 07:58   #3679
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
So, who would the 'seller' be? Insurance company or the registered owner? The insurance company collects the signed 29/30 forms, right?
In my friend's case, the car had already passed through an owner before ending up with the other friend, all the while the registered owner still being my friend.
The seller will be the registered owner. Insurance company just acts as a co-coordinator.

From my experience and what I have seen around, this is just like how you sell a car through true value or any car agency, the seller will be the owner till the car agency sells the car and the buyer registers the car. If the buyer skips the registration/transfer of name then car will continue to be in the original registered owner's name.

As per RTO rule, if the name transfer doesn't happen within one month then you are supposed to update the RTO about the sale deal.

Insurance company will not do these followups.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:33   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
From my experience and what I have seen around, this is just like how you sell a car through true value or any car agency, the seller will be the owner till the car agency sells the car and the buyer registers the car. If the buyer skips the registration/transfer of name then car will continue to be in the original registered owner's name.
This is bad practice on the part of the seller.

Quote:
I find it very strange on people selling cars to the showrooms (used/new) and signing the form 29 & 30 blindly without having any name of the buyer on the forms. Ideally the forms of transfer copies (set) should be forwarded to the RTO through registered post (return acknowledgement) with an application of intimation of sale of the vehicle and free from encumbrance for the vehicle. This way even if the dealer does not do the ownership transfer, the seller has intimated the RTO about the sale and is no longer liable for anything related to the vehicle.

There is a fantastic post by GTO when selling a car. In had used on two occasion and found it very very helpful.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821

Quote:
Not exactly Aurn. There are two things to be taken into account when the total loss is documented as Salvage loss - is it with documents or without documents? If it is without document, then the Insured will have to cancel the Registration at the RTO, dispose the wreck and should not get it repaired. If it is with documents, then the Insured will be at liberty to get the car repaired and sold seperately (of course at unauthorized garages or other wise repairing at authorized workshop would prove more expensive). By document I refer to the certificate provided by the Insurance co/Surveyor confirming the value of the salvage.

Insurance co do not have the right to sell the car at all at any given point of time, only the Insured can. Its just that the Insured (owner of the vehicle) does not want to retain the salvage and dispose it. Hence most of the time, the Insured authorizes the Insurance co/Surveyor to find the salvage buyers & dispose the salvage.

Last edited by ghodlur : 19th May 2016 at 13:38. Reason: Adding the reference link
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 01:02   #3681
BHPian

I have a car that is a year old for which insurance renewal is due for next month. My query is, if I do a renewal through my workshop or online, will there be a visit from a surveyor before the policy is renewed? Please advise and thank you.
Old 20th May 2016, 04:54   #3682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesj View Post
I have a car that is a year old for which insurance renewal is due for next month. My query is, if I do a renewal through my workshop or online, will there be a visit from a surveyor before the policy is renewed? Please advise and thank you.
Jesj, if your insurance is renewed prior to it expiring, then there is no need of a surveyor to inspect the car. However, if the policy expires, and then you are looking to renew it, it wouldn't be possible without it being checked by the surveyor first.

Online is surely the way to go - very easy, convenient and hassle free. Bajaj Allianz with whom my cars were insured used to send over a hard copy of the renewed insurance papers about a week later, after i had renewed the policy online.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 07:34   #3683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
...Bajaj Allianz with whom my cars were insured used to send over a hard copy of the renewed insurance papers about a week later, after i had renewed the policy online.
benbsb29, thank you for clarifying that query. But there is one query that arises from your reply - Bajaj Allianz is quoting a higher premium (with Zero Depreciation, Road Side Assistance, Engine Protector, Baggage Loss) while IFFCO-TOKIO is giving a lesser premium (with Zero Depreciation, Road Side Assistance, Return to Invoice, PA policy for un-named insured) and topping it off with a further 15% discount. Also, Bharati AXA is quoting a much higher premium other two (with Zero Depreciation, Return to Invoice, Consumables Protector, Engine Protector) without any discounts. All of these three providers have cashless tie up with my garage. But, the garage has asked me not to go with Bajaj Allianz as customers have had issues with claims with them.

So, I have to choose between IFFCO-TOKIO and Bharati AXA of which I'm inclined to go with IFFCO-TOKIO due to the discount given. Please advice as I haven't heard or read much about them. Thank you.
Old 20th May 2016, 08:57   #3684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesj View Post
Online is the way to go. Easy, cheap and hassle-free. Compare quotes from sites like Policy Bazaar and go ahead! Some experts here recommend to get the policy through the insurer's website itself (after comparing through portals) but I have been dealing through Policy Bazaar since the last one year and have nothing to complain about.

In case of online, even if your policy is expired (<90 days), some companies offer insurance without any survey. HDFC Ergo is one of them. Otherwise most companies won't conduct a survey if your previous insurance is valid. There is a term in the policy that any undisclosed/misleading fact will leave the policy void.
biggrin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:08   #3685
BHPian

I have another query - when I'm opting for Zero Dep. cover, is there a need to take Consumables, Engine or Hydrostatic Lock cover? Why are there all these extra covers, won't it be covered by the Zero Dep. add-on.
My workshop also informed me that, if I took an insurance other than Chevrolet Assured (Bajaj Allianz, Reliance, ICICI Lombard, New India Assurance & United India Insurance), then at the time of claims, I'm liable to pay 5% charge on all metal parts claimed. All of this does not make any sense to me. Could somebody explain these things, because as far as I know, if I take Zero Dep. cover my car should be covered B2B.
Also, has anybody used or have knowledge about user experience with IFFCO-TOKIO car insurance policies? Thank you.
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:07   #3686
BHPian

Re: Mandovi Body Shop?

This is about our swift VDi which met with a minor accident at tirupati, and we took this to the Mandovi body shop at JP Nagar. They say that bumper, bonnet and head lights need to be replaced.

The car is insured with NIA as suggested earlier by Mandovi. Now, the SA says that we need to bear charges as under :

Plastic : 50%
Metal : 40%
Labor : 25%
Consumables : INR 300
Compulsory : INR 1000

Is this reasonable?
BTW, they have texted an estimate of INR 45,000/- for this repair.

Please advise.
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:46   #3687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The car is insured with NIA as suggested earlier by Mandovi. Now, the SA says that we need to bear charges as under :

Plastic : 50%
Metal : 40%
Labor : 25%
Consumables : INR 300
Compulsory : INR 1000

Is this reasonable?
BTW, they have texted an estimate of INR 45,000/- for this repair.

Please advise.
If the policy has an endorsement of Nil Dep and Cost of consumables, all you need to pay is Compulsory Excess of Rs. 1000. Period.

If not, Yes you need to pay these. Get an estimate. Getting it done in FNG should work out cheaper.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:51   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
If the policy has an endorsement of Nil Dep and Cost of consumables, all you need to pay is Compulsory Excess of Rs. 1000. Period.

If not, Yes you need to pay these. Get an estimate. Getting it done in FNG should work out cheaper.
It is 2009 model, so NO zero dep. policy. The estimate is around 45K.

I do NOT know of any FNG around JP Nagar, B'lore. If anyone does know someone, please share the details.
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:02   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
It is 2009 model, so NO zero dep. policy. The estimate is around 45K.

I do NOT know of any FNG around JP Nagar, B'lore. If anyone does know someone, please share the details.
It'll turn out to be MUCH lesser outside unless you have some mechanical works too attached to it.
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:47   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
When you bought the Insurance for the previous owner, did you claim any NCB on the OD premium? If yes, then the NCB amount claimed is applicable for the policy year. So when you requested for insurance ownership transfer, the Insurance co assumed that they had paid the NCB amount to the previous owner and wanted to recover the money from you as you would be the new owner. So ideally the previous owner would have had to pay from his pocket the pro rata calculated NCB amount claimed for the policy year during the insurance ownership transfer. Instead they recovered it from you. Kind of double whammy for you.
Hope this helps.
Hi Ghodlur,

I am in the same situation, but sorry I couldn't figure out the maths.
I was also renewing the policy for the previous owner with Iffco Tokio, since the RTO transfer had not taken place. Now when the RTO transfer as well as policy transfer has taken place, then in the renewal quote why am I not eligible for the NCB (20%). Also I (technically the previous owner) was getting an additional 20% bonus on Own damage premium which is missing in the renewal quote.

I apologise if I am missing something very basic here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks